PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili Returns, Reports No Ankle Problems (And: Duncan Wanted To Play)

duncan228
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Ginobili returns, reports no ankle problems (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_returns_reports_no_ankle_problems.html)
Mike Monroe

ATLANTA — Atlanta resident Kevin Willis, the longtime NBA center who earned a championship ring as a member of the 2002-03 Spurs, popped into the team's locker room after its 102-92 victory over the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday to renew acquaintances.

“How's it going, Manu?” Willis asked, as he approached the Spurs guard Manu Ginobili.

“It feels like I'm flying again,” Ginobili replied.

Grounded since Feb. 11 by a stress reaction in his right distal fibula, Ginobili played 14 minutes and two seconds. He made only 1 of 7 shots — a layin off an out-of-bounds play that beat the first-period buzzer — but nothing could dampen his enthusiasm on a night the Spurs scored a meaningful road victory over the Eastern Conference's No. 4 team.

“I was definitely rusty and slow,” Ginobili said, “but no (ankle) problems. Besides, I wasn't expecting to have a great game, either.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich gave Ginobili's return a positive review.

“It's a good start, just to get him a couple of minutes,” Popovich said. “He can start to get his timing back. Obviously, he needs time to get back into the flow. It's important to us, because by playoff time he's got to be whole for us to win.”

Ginobili said he understands it is going to take him a while before he is back to being himself.

“It hurts a little,” he said, “because I'm not used to it anymore.

“It's been a while, but I just wanted to play. I insisted. I wanted to get 10 to 15 (minutes). I feel I am good. I just wanted to play. I'm not a player who can take a month off and then come back and is the same as always. I need to come back gradually to feel good. Hopefully, these (12) games are going to be enough.”

Losing argument: Spurs captain Tim Duncan said he lost a relatively brief debate with Popovich about suiting up.

As he had the last time the Spurs had back-to-back games, Popovich insisted Duncan get some rest for knees that have bothered him for weeks.

“We went back and forth,” Duncan said. “For a while there, I thought I was going to play. Then, he came back and said I wasn't. It went back and forth, back and forth.

“I'm just glad it worked out the way it did.”

Hairston assigned: With Ginobili returning to the active list, the Spurs on Wednesday assigned guard Malik Hairston to their Austin Toros franchise of the NBA's D-League.

It is Hairston's second assignment to Austin this season. He appeared in 15 games with the Spurs, where he averaged 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in 10.3 minutes. He was recalled by the Spurs from Austin on Jan. 31.

Mavs<Spurs
03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks again for the post !

I really appreciate the great articles and threads you start !

It sounds good that Manu didn't feel any ankle problems, Tim wanted to play and Tony was awesome and we won !

:flag:

VI_Massive
03-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I knew Timmy would fight Pop to play.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
03-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Sucks about Hairston, Hopefully he can work on his Jumper and find a spot on this team in future years

crc21209
03-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Great news! :tu

duncan228
03-26-2009, 12:44 AM

I'm thrilled he wanted to play. I take it to mean he felt good, and that's vital after he played well last night, even in shorter minutes. Plus the flight.

Good news all around tonight.

Ditty
03-26-2009, 12:52 AM
Hairston>Ariza

:bang

DynastyBuilder
03-26-2009, 12:53 AM
whaaaat? Manu played tonight?!?!

Manufan909
03-26-2009, 02:26 AM

I knew Pop would win.

ILoveOranges
03-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Need to send Hill to Austin, cause Pops seems to have got over him.

:depressed

m33p0
03-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Tim: Pop, I was wondering... could i play tonight? My knees are fine. I swear.
Pop: No.
Tim walks off but after a few paces turns around to say something to Pop. Pop gives him the deathstare to shut him up. Tim leaves the room.

MoSpur
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Can the Spurs let Fab go and bring in Willis?

rayray2k8
03-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Hopefully the spurs don't let Hairston walk like other
players.
Could use him in the future.

crc21209
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Can the Spurs let Fab go and bring in Willis?

Willis was great in the 03' championship run. Although old, he brought it anytime he came into the game. I especially remember that dunk in the series clinching victory over the Lakers after TP missed a 3. And him and TD head-butted each other. GREAT times. :toast

spurtech09
03-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!