PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs @ Hawks - Mar. 25

timvp
03-26-2009, 12:50 AM
http://spurstalk.com/box1mar25.jpg
http://spurstalk.com/box2mar25.jpg

Less than 24 hours after one of the most frustrating wins of the season, the Spurs put together a very impressive victory as they welcomed Manu Ginobili back into the lineup. With a little help from Tony Parker, the Spurs were able to outscore the Hawks 28-18 in the fourth quarter to win by a final score of 102-92 despite playing without Tim Duncan.

In the final stanza, Parker scored 18 points and dished out an assist on a long Matt Bonner jumper and another one on a Michael Finley three-pointer. With the Hawks constantly switching pick-and-rolls, Parker made that strategy look sophomoric. Combine the one-man offensive show with a fierce defensive effort in the fourth quarter and you have the recipe for an improbable win.

A win over the Hawks may not sound too impressive but this isn't your typical Hawks team. They had won eight straight games at home including victories over the Hornets, Jazz, Blazers and Mavs. Their average margin of victories in those eight home wins was 11.9 points per game. With Joe Johnson and Al Horford leading the way, there's no doubt that Atlanta has enough talent to make a decent run in the postseason.

Overall, the Spurs have to be thrilled with this win. Parker stepped up, Ginobili got his feet wet and Duncan got to rest in a sportcoat.

-Although Manu Ginobili was obviously out of rhythm in his return, I was actually very pleased with what I saw. The first time he returned from injury this season, he had a small hitch in his step. Tonight, Ginobili didn't seem to be favoring either ankle. He even showed a few bursts of athleticism throughout his 14 minutes of action. Ginobili's return also seemed to re-energize his teammates and the bench unit already showed signs of improvement.

-Tony Parker was brilliant. Considering the circumstances, this may have very well been his best game of the season. 42 points and ten assists on only 25 shots while only turning the ball over twice? Yeah, not bad. Parker has been maligned in the past for not being a fourth quarter player but tonight he played at a superstar level when it mattered. Hopefully Parker can maintain even 90% of his current level heading into the playoffs.

-Matt Bonner played a season-high 39 minutes and came through with one of his better defensive showings of the season. Matched up with the uber athletic Josh Smith, Bonner was able to keep him grounded for most of the evening. I was also impressed with Bonner's physicality. In fact, on one play he drew blood from both Smith and Mike Bibby. Smith needed a few minutes to regain his senses, while Bibby required four stitches to close a gash on his forehead. Offensively, Bonner didn't shoot much but he once again appeared to be much more confident than he was just a few games ago.

-After five straight sub par performances, Michael Finley finally played a decent game. He came out of the gates much more aggressive and his shooting provided a lot of space early on. Finley had a couple of big offensive plays in his now customary fourth quarter playing time. Defensively, Finley's most helpful aspect was his rebounding.

-Midway through the fourth quarter, Mason was red hot from the field and he had 18 points on the board. But after a series of defensive miscues, sloppy turnovers and failing to box out, Mason was a spectator for the entire fourth quarter. Personally, I would have liked Mason to have seen action down the stretch but then again, I don't have a problem with Pop benching players for poor defense.

-Drew Gooden got his first start with the Spurs and did a fairly good job. His team defense was underwhelming but his individual defense was a positive during a few possessions. Offensively, he's still looking for his niche but he seems to be progressing in the right direction. Rebounding-wise, he had three boards in the first two and a half minutes of the game but only one in his final 21 minutes.

-Ime Udoka led the bench in playing time but his actual production was far from impressive. Defensively, he gave good effort against Johnson but he got burned repeatedly off the dribble. He was also late a few times getting back on transition. Offensively, he missed three of his four shots. Pop apparently liked the moxy and energy Udoka was providing because he wasn't giving many tangible reasons to warrant his 26 minutes.

-Kurt Thomas once again shined in his Duncan-lite role. He rebounded, blocked a few shots and basically owned the paint on both ends. It was also good to see him produce offensively because he has been quiet in that regard as of late. Since the All-Star break, Thomas has been the second best Spur next to Parker.

-Fabricio Oberto only played seven minutes but he made a number of mistakes and didn't do anything to win playing time in upcoming games. He was out of position on defense, didn't rebound and his offense was choppy.

-Bruce Bowen played four minutes in the first half but didn't play after halftime. I actually thought Pop made the right decision because Bowen wasn't playing well at all. He lacked energy on defense and obviously wasn't going to make up for it on the other end.

-George Hill got his first DNP-CD of the season. With Pop showing less and less confidence in him as of late, it wasn't really a surprise. It's safe to now say, barring injury, that Hill is out of the rotation and is a longshot to be a factor in the playoffs. I don't exactly agree with the decision but with the way Pop has been yanking him around in the last month, it actually might be better for his long-term growth. In theory, putting him in a position where he won't have any pressure to produce would allow him to grow over the next year. However, if Pop has actually fully given up on Hill, that would definitely be a mistake. Hill hasn't been perfect but he's shown enough flashes of brilliance to view him as a vital part of the future.

-I was much happier with Pop's coaching against the Hawks. His rotation actually had some logic behind it and he even made time for Gooden to grow. Looking back on it, he also deserves credit for sitting Duncan since the Spurs got the win without him. Going forward, if Pop prayerfully considers his rotations on a nightly basis, the Spurs should have enough time to gear up for the real season.

Believe.

Whisky Dog
03-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Big mistake using Mason as the backup point. Ithink he can be effective bringing the ball up occassionally and going into a quick high P&R set, but he should never be the backup point. He just doesn't look comfortable with it and his failures in that role are affecting the rest of his game.

I know Hill is raw, but there just isn't a better option out there.

SpursFan0728
03-26-2009, 01:26 AM
However, if Pop has actually fully given up on Hill, that would definitely be a mistake. Hill hasn't been perfect but he's shown enough flashes of brilliance to view him as a vital part of the future.

Believe.

I agree and I highly doubt that Pop has fully given up on Hill. This is his first season performing in the big stage and he has already show signs of being an elite defender. IMO, Hill will a one-of-a-kind PG if he could somehow improve his offense.

timvp
03-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Big mistake using Mason as the backup point. Ithink he can be effective bringing the ball up occassionally and going into a quick high P&R set, but he should never be the backup point. He just doesn't look comfortable with it and his failures in that role are affecting the rest of his game.

I know Hill is raw, but there just isn't a better option out there.I'd prefer Hill get the job but I'm willing to give Mason a little bit more time. Playing backup point guard when Pop has nothing close to a set rotation is difficult. I think Mason could be adequate if Pop firms the rotation and Manu handles the halfcourt playmaking of the bench unit as usual.

raspsa
03-26-2009, 01:34 AM
[QUOTE

-Ime Udoka led the bench in playing time but his actual production was far from impressive. Defensively, he gave good effort against Johnson but he got burned repeatedly off the dribble. He was also late a few times getting back on transition. Offensively, he missed three of his four shots. Pop apparently liked the moxy and energy Udoka was providing because he wasn't giving many tangible reasons to warrant his 26 minutes.[/QUOTE]
.................................................. ...............................................
“Ime was great,” Popovich said. “You're not going to stop Joe. It's like guarding a Kobe Bryant. You're not going to hold him to 10 points, but you've got to make him work all game long, and Ime did that. He worked him very hard, and the team defense behind him was very good.

“Some things you've got to give up, and I thought Ime was very good.”

IMO Pop's priority is something like 80:20 favoring defensive over offensive contributions.. he's probably looking at Ime the same way he evaluates Bowen at this point.. like it or not, I think Ime fills a very important role in Pop's mind as he's the most physical of his smaller players.

timvp
03-26-2009, 04:30 AM
IMO Pop's priority is something like 80:20 favoring defensive over offensive contributions.. he's probably looking at Ime the same way he evaluates Bowen at this point.. like it or not, I think Ime fills a very important role in Pop's mind as he's the most physical of his smaller players.Yeah, Pop loves Udoka's physical play. Pop has been trying to squeeze Udoka into the rotation all season ... even when he was playing horrible basketball.

When Manu returned, I thought he'd get his minutes from Hill and Udoka. It might actually turn out to be Hill and Bowen.

polandprzem
03-26-2009, 08:02 AM
I'd prefer Hill get the job but I'm willing to give Mason a little bit more time. Playing backup point guard when Pop has nothing close to a set rotation is difficult. I think Mason could be adequate if Pop firms the rotation and Manu handles the halfcourt playmaking of the bench unit as usual.

Not long time ago you was 'screaming' on Pop not to wast mason and stop playing him as a PG.
What has changed in last week?

Umm IMO Pop is not doing right playing TP 40 minutes again esp. when Tony is one man offensive force, and many times he is setting up the offense twice in one 24 seconds.
To me it is very much looking like last year manu. He was doing so much in teh last few months of a season that he had absolutely no gas for the playoffs.
Hopefully TP will have energy to boost in the playoffs. Against Atlanta he was looking exhausted, but his will pushed him forward.
he was magnificient and outstanding.

MANU ! - IMO he was looking good as well. And what I saw put me in hope mode and I'm optymistic about him.

George - damn Pop - give him some PG duties and rest some TP. I don't know why Hill is not playing cause he is giving spurs some fresh legs out there.

Pop needs to set hi rotation now. Not much time left in te season. But still there is time to gain some confidence in players to get a bit of momentum maybe.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-26-2009, 08:09 AM
My comments on this game:

--> Parker is INCREDIBLE right now. He was the best PG in the NBA today... although 'best' is meaningless because each of TP, CP3 and DWill can take that mantle, depending on the day. But Parker - WOW - he is having his best season and only keeps getting better. What a man and what a balla.

--> Our second unit cannot hold a lead, and part of it is Mason as backup PG (very ugly to watch at times - please Pop, see the light and play Hill!), and part of it is Pop's continued rotation tinkering. Can someone please tell me why the Fab and Ime experiment continues? Fab tried hard but helped to give away the lead in the 3rd and Ime watched on as he was torched by Johnson in the fourth... where the hell was Bruce??? That's exactly his role, to be the cooler on guys like Joe - c'mon Pop, WTF? It's not like Ime made a difference on O, although he did go to the boards as usual, and so did Fin when it mattered in the 4th. I like the way that Parker-Mason-Fin-Bonner-Thomas-Gooden played together, and Manu was terribly rusty and trying to do too much, so please, let's can the Fab experiment, and use Ime as sparingly as possible.

--> Loved the early offense for Gooden, and he responded, but then we went away from him for the rest of the game. Sure, a lot of that was Tony's outburst, but I' like to have seen him in mid 3rd rather than that 3 foul stretch from Fab.

--> Joe Johnson is a poor man's Dwayne Wade-Brandon Roy hybrid, but a beast nonetheless. A mix of brute strength, agility and craftiness.

--> Flip Murray is a fantasy follower's nightmare.

--> Josh Smith is Rasheed Wallace Junior.

--> Mike Bibby couldn't defend your grandmother.

Great game of basketball, gutsy win Spurs, and you are a PANTHEON PG, Mr Parker.

:toast :smokin ;)

I'd prefer Hill get the job but I'm willing to give Mason a little bit more time. Playing backup point guard when Pop has nothing close to a set rotation is difficult. I think Mason could be adequate if Pop firms the rotation and Manu handles the halfcourt playmaking of the bench unit as usual.

I reckon that's what will probably happen, because without second unit chemistry (and make no mistake, Mason is the one blowing a lot of plays) we're no threat to go deep in the playoffs, and there's little time left to experiment. Once again, a heavy burden rest on Manu's shoulders... but that's why we pay him the big bucks! Bring it , Manu! :ihit :)

Agloco
03-26-2009, 08:16 AM

I know Hill is raw, but there just isn't a better option out there.

Manu?

Agloco
03-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Where's Timmys fat DNP?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Manu?

Read the thread! :lol

benefactor
03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Very good win. The pressure was on against a hot team on the back end of a back to back and we responded.

Now that we actually have a look at Manu and he is saying there is no pain I am less worried about Mason and his backup PG responsibilities. Mason may keep bringing up the ball but once Manu gets back into his groove he will be the one initiating the offense for the second unit. This will allow Mason to get back to what he should be doing...coming off of screens and draining jumpers or waiting behind the three point line for the pass as Manu drives and sucks in the defense.

I hate that Hill had a DNP but with Manu coming back this is something most of us expected. Pop is just not going to trust a rookie for extended stints in the playoffs...and TBQH there really isn't enough minutes to go around anyway. Maybe he can at least be some sort of x-factor on the defensive end in the playoffs if the match ups allow it.

sgueou
03-26-2009, 08:22 AM
good win

ILoveOranges
03-26-2009, 08:27 AM
-Kurt Thomas once again shined in his Duncan-lite role. He rebounded, blocked a few shots and basically owned the paint on both ends. It was also good to see him produce offensively because he has been quiet in that regard as of late. Since the All-Star break, Thomas has been the second best Spur next to Parker.

When Thomas first played this season, I was appalled by how slow and unsure he looked. Then as he got into better shape, it became clear why the Spurs pursued and signed him. His defensive intensity and rebounding is absolutely needed for the Spurs, and he does a great job with whatever minutes he's provided. More and more often, he shows his great BBall IQ, especially with his screens. I've got to say, Thomas has silently become one of the Spurs' best producers. Not necessarily stat-wise (though he seems to gravitate around 6-10 rebounds a game, no matter how many minutes he's given), but he just seems to have a great chemistry with the team.

ILoveOranges
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
IMO Pop's priority is something like 80:20 favoring defensive over offensive contributions.. he's probably looking at Ime the same way he evaluates Bowen at this point.. like it or not, I think Ime fills a very important role in Pop's mind as he's the most physical of his smaller players.

But no George Hill, who has shown a phenomenal defensive capability :depressed

Agloco
03-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Read the thread! :lol

Should that have been directed at the person I responded to perhaps? :lol

Much better to have Manu running point and leave Mason to just shoot the rock. Although I suppose having Mason run it for a play or two here and there doesn't much matter, as long as we're not seeing any of that monkey business late in the fourth quarter anymore.

1Parker1
03-26-2009, 08:35 AM
I don't have a problem with Pop benching players for poor defense.

...Except of course for his favorite Mike Finley :pctoss

MoSpur
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I thought Mason was going to have a difficult game since Manu would return. Earlier on in the season, Mason had a difficult time adjusting to playing with Manu, but he did well last night. Manu didn't play too much, so that may have something to do with it.

Spurminator
03-26-2009, 09:40 AM
The Hawks could be pretty scary if they had a decent coach. As it is, they're a collection of very talented and athletic players with no discipline, no scheme, and no potential for great improvement. With the right coaching, Josh Smith and Al Horford could be perenneal All Stars.

Red Hawk #21
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks for ruining my night...

lurker23
03-26-2009, 10:03 AM
A few things about Hill:

1. I've been saying for a while that he's the best thing for the backup PG role, and I'm still hoping that he gets a chance to secure that. However, I do agree that sitting him may be better for his development than toying with him.

2. While it would seem like it's "safe to now say, barring injury, that Hill is out of the rotation," I've given up on trying to read Pop's mind. I thought the same exact thing about Bonner when he was yanked from the rotation very early in the season, and suddenly he started getting minutes again. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Hill is playing 18 minutes in a game less than a week from now.

3. Even if Hill is out of the regular rotation, I wouldn't be surprised if Pop randomly pulls him out of the hat during the playoffs. Just as he dusted off Steve Kerr in the 2003 series against the Mavericks for his 3-point shooting, Pop could potentially dust off Hill in some random series if he needs to stop some perimeter player.

tav1
03-26-2009, 10:10 AM
My one complaint about playing Udoka so many minutes is that he's not a good match up with Johnson. As everyone knows, Udoka can play good D, but against guys like Ron Artest, who are bigger and less agile. IMHO: Pop should have played Hill on Johnson and let Udoka play elsewhere, or less minutes.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm worried about Thomas. All the talk we hear every week of every season these days about players wearing down, and watching minutes...are we playing Thomas too much?

His first few minutes on the court last night, he was kind of stiff IMO. But he did loosen up and give us a great performance. I sure hope he can keep producing like this, because if he's slowing down in a month or so . . .

Spurs Brazil
03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Kurt Thomas once again shined in his Duncan-lite role. He rebounded, blocked a few shots and basically owned the paint on both ends. It was also good to see him produce offensively because he has been quiet in that regard as of late. Since the All-Star break, Thomas has been the second best Spur next to Parker.

Thomas is playing very well and he must play a lot of minutes in the playoffs.

Red Hawk #21
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
The Hawks could be pretty scary if they had a decent coach. As it is, they're a collection of very talented and athletic players with no discipline, no scheme, and no potential for great improvement. With the right coaching, Josh Smith and Al Horford could be perenneal All Stars.

So even Non-Hawks fans can see this...:bang:bang:bang:bang

Spursmania
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Definitely. :toast

DAF86
03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
-Although Manu Ginobili was obviously out of rhythm in his return, I was actually very pleased with what I saw. The first time he returned from injury this season, he had a small hitch in his step. Tonight, Ginobili didn't seem to be favoring either ankle. He even showed a few bursts of athleticism throughout his 14 minutes of action. Ginobili's return also seemed to re-energize his teammates and the bench unit already showed signs of improvement.

See, I told you that just having Manu in there would make us better. :lol

peacemaker885
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM

Dood, its obvious. Josh blocks, or tries to block every other shot. This guy is, as timvp says 'uber athletic'. Combine that with what seems like very good attitude, this guy is a winner.

Blackjack
03-27-2009, 12:53 AM

That's pretty much what caught my eye.:tu

It really is uncanny the spark/energy his mere presence creates. You can almost see it in his teammates eye's. It's almost the difference between the vacant, hollow, lifeless eye's of a pornstar, and the eyes of a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed teenager on the prowl. (Alright, a bit of an exaggeration, but it is quite noticeable:hat)

-Tony Parker was brilliant. Considering the circumstances, this may have very well been his best game of the season. 42 points and ten assists on only 25 shots while only turning the ball over twice? Yeah, not bad. Parker has been maligned in the past for not being a fourth quarter player but tonight he played at a superstar level when it mattered. Hopefully Parker can maintain even 90% of his current level heading into the playoffs.

I'm not sure Tony has really played a better, more complete game, than that.

Sure, he's had some more significant games, but in terms of playmaking, dominace, and efficiency?

That one goes up there with some of the best. Mad props to Tony.:toast

-Matt Bonner played a season-high 39 minutes and came through with one of his better defensive showings of the season. Matched up with the uber athletic Josh Smith, Bonner was able to keep him grounded for most of the evening. I was also impressed with Bonner's physicality. In fact, on one play he drew blood from both Smith and Mike Bibby. Smith needed a few minutes to regain his senses, while Bibby required four stitches to close a gash on his forehead. Offensively, Bonner didn't shoot much but he once again appeared to be much more confident than he was just a few games ago.

The physicality displayed by both Matt and Kurt probably would have been the thing that stuck out to me the most, had not that dude wearing the 9 gone completely ape-shit all over the ATL.

Physicality and Kurt pretty much go hand-in-hand, but Matt finding "Beast Mode???":lol

You've got to love when your big men give the opposition reason for pause when attacking the rim.:tu

-Midway through the fourth quarter, Mason was red hot from the field and he had 18 points on the board. But after a series of defensive miscues, sloppy turnovers and failing to box out, Mason was a spectator for the entire fourth quarter. Personally, I would have liked Mason to have seen action down the stretch but then again, I don't have a problem with Pop benching players for poor defense.

Mason giveth, and Mason taketh away.

That's pretty much what I thought of Mason's 3rd quarter performance.

He was fantastic shooting the ball for a stretch there but then, inexplicably, he started turning down good shots and eventually playing somewhat flustered when taking over point-guard duties.

I really don't have a problem with him handling the ball in the half-court if he's utilizing a simple screen-and-role to get his shot off the dribble or hit the open man if the shot's not there, but Mason bringing the ball up under any significant defense is bordering on a complete fail.

If Tony, Manu, Hill, or Vaughn are not bringing up the ball, I think it might be a good idea for the team to start looking to advance the ball, via the pass, as much as possible. Hell, I'd even consider the 4's and 5's bringing it up on occassion, if the opponent isn't in any kind of press.

-Drew Gooden got his first start with the Spurs and did a fairly good job. His team defense was underwhelming but his individual defense was a positive during a few possessions. Offensively, he's still looking for his niche but he seems to be progressing in the right direction. Rebounding-wise, he had three boards in the first two and a half minutes of the game but only one in his final 21 minutes.

"He has an incredibly high BBIQ", the words of Coach Brown in the post-game with B. Schoening.(In reference to his ability to pick-up schemes quickly)

Although, I still see plenty of room for improvement, it was nice to see a glimpse of the type of player/role Gooden could have in the future.

He was solid offensively, he made the offender shoot over him and work for his shot, and his activity on the offensive-glass was noteworthy.

I haven't been one to trash Gooden's BBIQ (although, his poor decision-making under pressure has lead me to question his nerve, at times) but if Brown isn't being disingenuous, it could bode extremely well for the Spurs with Gooden's impending free-agency.(If Gooden's problems are of the effort and focus variety and not intelligence, that is)

-Ime Udoka led the bench in playing time but his actual production was far from impressive. Defensively, he gave good effort against Johnson but he got burned repeatedly off the dribble. He was also late a few times getting back on transition. Offensively, he missed three of his four shots. Pop apparently liked the moxy and energy Udoka was providing because he wasn't giving many tangible reasons to warrant his 26 minutes.

That about sums it up.

Between Pop's praise of Ime's defense on J.J. and Brown's quote about Drew's BBIQ, it really makes you wonder.

Pop definitely put his chips in with Ime, and although Ime's play hasn't really warranted Pop doing so, he seems to at least be coming around a little bit as of late. (I've got to wonder how Ime's role would have been had Hairston been with the team from the start of the season, though.)

-George Hill got his first DNP-CD of the season. With Pop showing less and less confidence in him as of late, it wasn't really a surprise. It's safe to now say, barring injury, that Hill is out of the rotation and is a longshot to be a factor in the playoffs. I don't exactly agree with the decision but with the way Pop has been yanking him around in the last month, it actually might be better for his long-term growth. In theory, putting him in a position where he won't have any pressure to produce would allow him to grow over the next year. However, if Pop has actually fully given up on Hill, that would definitely be a mistake. Hill hasn't been perfect but he's shown enough flashes of brilliance to view him as a vital part of the future.

Didn't Hill have 2 or 3 DNP-CD's to start the season? Maybe even 1 or 2 during???

I'm definitely on the same page as you, as far as how Pop is (or more appropriately, is not) using Hill.

There's no doubt in my mind that Hill has the mental-toughness to play through mistakes and the potential play a significant role, or make a key-contribution down the stretch, but it can't happen if Pop doesn't show some faith and hand him the key's.

Pop's potentially taking a pretty useful weapon out of his arsenal for down the stretch, so I hope it's something he doesn't live to regret.

-I was much happier with Pop's coaching against the Hawks. His rotation actually had some logic behind it and he even made time for Gooden to grow. Looking back on it, he also deserves credit for sitting Duncan since the Spurs got the win without him. Going forward, if Pop prayerfully considers his rotations on a nightly basis, the Spurs should have enough time to gear up for the real season.

Yeah, his rotations actually bordered on normalcy.:lol

I still don't understand the rationale in utilizing Duncan the way he did against G.S. (Had he just played Duncan normally and allowed nature to take it's course, Tim would have been sitting by the end of the 3rd. There's a reason G.S. hasn't won in S.A. in 20+ games, and he wears 21.) but I guess, all's well, that ends well.