PDA

View Full Version : Duncan: Parker should get MVP votes

timaios
03-26-2009, 01:49 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/14219592

Duncan: Parker should get MVP votes
Posted on: March 25, 2009 10:19 pm

ATLANTA --When Tim Duncan is resting his ailing knee and Manu Ginobili is fighting his way through a 1-for-7 shooting night in his first game in six weeks, it sure helps to have Tony Parker.

Parker was brilliant Wednesday night with 42 points and 10 assists, helping the Spurs solve their recent struggles closing out games in a 102-92 victory over the Hawks. Parker's performance was so good, it prompted Duncan to say he deserves to at least be in the top five on voters' MVP ballots in a few weeks.

"I think absolutely," said Duncan, a two-time MVP. "Of course I'm biased, obviously. But with the position that we're in -- second or seventh in the West, however many games it can switch -- we're right in the mix with that. The amount of injuries we've been dealing with all year ... he's keeping this team consistent. He's been the consistent one all year long. Absolutely, he should be at least given an opportunity to be one of those top five."

It was the second-highest scoring game of Parker's career, after the 55 points against Minnesota in double overtime back in November. (For the record, he had 42 in regulation in that game.)

When Parker had 55 points and 10 assists in a 129-125 victory over the Timberwolves on Nov. 5, he stopped San Antonio from suffering its first 0-4 start since 1973. I'm detecting a theme. When the Spurs are in trouble, Parker comes to the rescue.

"He was unstoppable," said Ginobili, who had only two points on 1-for-7 shooting in 14:02, his first appearance after missing 19 games with a stress reaction in his right ankle. "But at the same time, he was really good playing defense. And there was a stretch where he found Roger (Mason), (Michael Finley), Matt (Bonner) on the roll, and they didn’t know what to do. He was the reason that we won this game."

Parker is the reason the Spurs win a lot of games. But they know they're not going anywhere if they don't get Ginobili and Duncan 100 percent -- or close to it -- before the playoffs begin.

"We always have a good shot," Ginobili said. "The thing is, if we're not healthy, we won't."

Manufan909
03-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Nice to see the older 2 of the Big 3 giving TP props.

onarollbaby
03-26-2009, 02:59 AM
I can't imagine where would the Spurs be this season if TP isn't playing this great

PM5K
03-26-2009, 03:09 AM
It really just goes without saying, the best players on the best teams deserve to be in the discussion.

Bukefal
03-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Right, he really should get the votes!

timtonymanu
03-26-2009, 04:03 AM
Tim Duncan = first half season MVP

Tony Parker = second half season MVP

kace
03-26-2009, 04:20 AM
Tim Duncan = first half season MVP

Tony Parker = second half season MVP

+ 1. i totally agree. we need not to forget that Tim was awesome and as consistent as ever in the first half of the season.

though, Tony was rather good, sometimes great during this first half. Whereas Tim, being hampered, is a litte bit struggling since the ASG. That's why Tony is the Spurs MVP this season IMO.

Anyway, we really need first half season's Tim for the PO. That Tim + Tony at his actual level would be great. If manu can get near his best, it would be awesome.

jdev82
03-26-2009, 06:40 AM
how do tim AND tony NOT get in voters top 5?
the way they kept the spurs afloat this year? and based on the injury to tony, and when him and manu were both out at the same stretch, tim should be getting a bunch of votes. its sad, because tims not that athletic and he doesnt throw down 360 dunks, he may never see the recognition he deserves.

Biggems
03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I feel TP should get some votes for MVP. I don't feel he should win, but he should get some votes at least. He can come in 4th in the voting and its all good, just mentioning him and giving him a few votes, shows the media doesn't have their head buried in the sand.

sonic21
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
he did have some vote a couple years ago (i'm not sure)

MoSpur
03-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I've said this for a while now. He doesn't deserve to win MVP, but he should be mentioned.

Ghjkll
03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Tony will probably make his first All-Nba team this year. Some people fail to realize that he is still 26 and he has room to keep improving his game. Barring serious injuries, I bet his future as a player will be even brighter. His evolution has been simply amazing. Right now, when he is not on the floor, this team doest not look the same.

Rogue
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
obviously Tony Longoria is the best player on the spurs team to play the best games in the regular season, he is the regular season mvp for the spurs but there are many other players out there playing a greater regular season than Tony does. Tony Longoria deserves some votes but the title is gonna belong to either Lebron or Wade, hell Kobe and CP.

Thomas82
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
tim duncan = first half season mvp

tony parker = second half season mvp

+1

rayray2k8
03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
A bit soon to say that, but he's getting there.
You can make an argument that he has been our most
valuable player on the spurs, but around the league?
Not yet...

Phenomanul
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
My MVP Meter:

LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Dwayne Wade
Tony Parker
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Tim Duncan
Brandon Roy
Pau Gasol

Tony edges out Paul ever so slightly, particularly when his jumper is "on".

DAF86
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
You know, before the start of the season I was going to post a thread saying that Parker was going to get some major recognition for the MVP award (even more than Duncan) but then I decided to don't post anything. At the beginning I was happy with my desicion 'cause Duncan started the season playing better than ever but now I have some regrets :depressed

Phenomanul
03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
A bit soon to say that, but he's getting there.
You can make an argument that he has been our most
valuable player on the spurs, but around the league?
Not yet...

If Tony played for the Celtics, the Lakers or the Knicks people would definitely have him on their radar.

Just ask Garnett - who's personal defense was so overrated by the media last year to the tune of a DPOY award. When was the last time a 'big' won a DPOY award without averaging over 10 RPG or 3 BPG???

lefty
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Of course I'm biased, obviously

:rollin

FromWayDowntown
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Given that Tony Parker has received MVP votes in 2 other seasons: 2005-06 (9th in voting; 1 vote for 3rd place and 4 votes for 5th place) and 2006-07 (15th in voting, 1 vote for 5th place), the notion that his best season to date should result in him receiving some MVP consideration -- though not being close to winning the award -- is reasonable. But given that few have even mentioned him in that category, I think the chances he gets more than a token vote is pretty slim.

After all, at this point, ESPN's Awards Watch, which was updated on Tuesday, doesn't even mention Parker among the 10 candidates for MVP: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/awards?page=awards-090324

That strikes me as an absurd take, but it also seems to be proof that Parker isn't likely to get much love in the MVP voting.

lefty
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Those injueries are blessing in disguise, as Parker had to raise the level of his game, as well as his leadership.

He's reached another level.

Which means: watch out when we'll be 100% healthy

colargol
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
It' all about Tim Duncan....
TP won't have MVP considerations, those are for the franchise player and TP isn't...
If he shines during the PO he could be the man next year and then enter the MVP discussion...

Anyway , for sure, it's his next goal.......with a 3pts shoot(lol)

crc21209
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I was just thinking the same thing last night after the game. I know for sure TP has been the Spurs MVP for the entire season, so why not get some votes for the NBA MVP? The only players that should be ahead of TP for the MVP are Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, and maybe Dwight Howard. TP should be in the top 5 voting. He has carried this team when hes had to.

BlackSwordsMan
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
parker's trade value is getting higher!!!

spurtech09
03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Tony parker gots my vote!!!!!!!!!!

VI_Massive
03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
You're only going to get one MVP candidate per team. Since the Spurs have two franchise-level players this year (would be 3 but for Manu's injury) voters will not consider either. They will essentially split the "spurs" MVP vote possibilities.

That being said, you still hear Kobe getting MVP love when Gasol has been very, very good for LA this season because everyone's on Kobe's nuts.

LBJ and Wade however, are in a different stratosphere. They have no one nearly as good on their teams and are singlehandedly carrying their teams. LBJ has a better cast than Wade and thus his team has a better record, but no one on Cleveland is even close to good enough to split LBJ's votes.

Muser
03-26-2009, 02:39 PM
If you're basing the MVP for parker on being him carrying the team, Mr D Wade would like a word.

duncan228
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Slam.

Tony Parker: Le MVP Candidate? (http://slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/03/tony-parker-le-mvp-candidate/)
by Marcel Mutoni

The MVP debate this year has centered around three players. LeBron, Kobe and D-Wade. Though it’s pretty clear to everyone that James has the award all but locked up, the complete list of candidates continues to take shape.

Tony Parker’s name has now been thrown into the hat by his teammate, Tim Duncan.

CBS reports (http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/14219592?source=rss_blogs_NBA):

Parker was brilliant Wednesday night with 42 points and 10 assists, helping the Spurs solve their recent struggles closing out games in a 102-92 victory over the Hawks. Parker’s performance was so good, it prompted Duncan to say he deserves to at least be in the top five on voters’ MVP ballots in a few weeks.

“I think absolutely,” said Duncan, a two-time MVP. “Of course I’m biased, obviously. But with the position that we’re in — second or seventh in the West, however many games it can switch — we’re right in the mix with that. The amount of injuries we’ve been dealing with all year … he’s keeping this team consistent. He’s been the consistent one all year long. Absolutely, he should be at least given an opportunity to be one of those top five. “
Parker is having the best season of his career, and has beautifully steered an aging, injury-depleted ship in the brutal Western waters all season long. He certainly deserves to have a couple of votes thrown his way.

duncan228
03-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Warning: Hoopsworld.

Parker Having MVP Season (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12063)

Every time we write off the San Antonio Spurs, Tony Parker keeps them winning and moving up the charts. Last night the Spurs took on the Atlanta Hawks, one of the better teams in the Eastern Conference, and beat them 102-92.

It's an impressive win no matter what, but when you consider that it came in Atlanta, where the Hawks have been strong, and that it came on a night when Tim Duncan was resting and Manu Ginobili was a on-factor, it takes on a whole new significance.

What did it take for the Spurs to score a huge road win without their franchise player? An MVP effort from Tony Parker . . .and not his first of the season.

The 2007 Finals MVP chalked up 42 points and 10 assists, while connecting on 18-of-25 from the field and 6-of-6 at the foul line. His opponent, Mike Bibby, was just 5-of-13 from the field with 13 points on the night. Parker dominated both ends of the floor, something he's done each time he's been without one or both of his Big Three teammates.

The Spurs' first win of the season came on a night when Parker made up for Ginobili's absence with a 55-point explosion. When Ginobili went down more recently Parker again stepped up his game. In March, when everyone expected the Spurs to fall off without Manu, Parker averaged 26.6 points and 7.9 assists per game while shooting 54% from the field. The team is just 8-6 on the month, but has held onto the second seed in the West despite losses to the likes of Boston, Houston, and the Lakers.

All of the MVP talk is circling around Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Dwyane Wade, but right there in the mix should be Parker. The Spurs don't like media coverage, and actually go out of their way to block it when possible. It's unfortunate that Parker is paying the price. If he were in LA or New York he'd be all anyone talks about.

Brazil
03-26-2009, 08:20 PM
If he were in LA or New York he'd be all anyone talks about.

no doubt

TheDarkSide.
03-26-2009, 09:04 PM
I was watching sportscenter and the host even mentioned why tony should be an MVP candidate so maybe there will be a parker bandwagon of some sort. I know he won't get the nod but should at least be mentioned, bullshit.

Mavs<Spurs
03-26-2009, 10:17 PM
He's already been the MVP of the Finals, where the two best teams played in 2007, and that stage included LeBron James and Tim Duncan !

That tells you that people shouldn't feel funny in saying that Tony Parker is one of the top five players in basketball.

He's already done it on the biggest stage in basketball.

:toast