PDA

View Full Version : I think my house was struck by lightning

Slydragon
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I was asleep and woke up cuz of a huge pop....got up to see and step on glass...the hall way light freaking blew up everywhere....there was a smoke smell and I did a quick look over and then wanted to was my bloody feet.

Turn on the tub and the water came out dark brown, wtf...look out side and the water meter cover and top is blown off and water is just pooring out.

some of the light fixtures are all black from like a small flash fire.

gonna see what else it did..
just piss and needed to vent

BlackSwordsMan
03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
The haunting of slydragon

Taco
03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
wow hope everything is ok

what part of town are you in?

balli
03-26-2009, 11:40 AM
crazy.

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 11:40 AM
That sucks.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Check all your electronics

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Check all your electronics:lol:lol :lmao
yeah. make sure your computer is ok. :lmao

ashbeeigh
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
There was a big something that came through about an hour ago (?) I was just starting to get settled into the office and the power went off for about 5 seconds. Nothing too serious here, but I bet closer to the strike 9your house....lol) it was bad. I hope everything is okay.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
man, if you did get struck by lightining doesn't that make your odds of being struck again greater?

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Buy a Lotto ticket and do it now.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
quick, do you have any super powers????????????

Sapphire
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Buy a Lotto ticket and do it now.

he can probably buy a lotto ticket, but who's he supposed "do it" with?

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
he can probably buy a lotto ticket, but who's he supposed "do it" with?

The couch.

Sapphire
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
The couch.

:lol As long as the couch consents, I suppose.

JudynTX
03-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Are you glowing? :wow

Bigzax
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
damn man, what are the chances?

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
:lol:lol :lmao
yeah. make sure your computer is ok. :lmao

Hahaha I'll be laughing when your sorry ass gets hit!! Seriously, I have experienced a lightning strike that affected only one side of the house.

Smartass.

Shelly
03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Are you glowing? :wow

:lol

Reminds me of the movie Modern Problems!

to21
03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Just because he's on his computer right now, doesn't mean other electronics are not effected.

Some other things to check:
microwave
VCR (yeah I know no one has one anymore)
magnetic items, such as things you'd stick on your fridge

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Just because he's on his computer right now, doesn't mean other electronics are not effected.

i know that, but the computer is pretty delicate so that might be a good indication.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Hahaha I'll be laughing when your sorry ass gets hit!! Seriously, I have experienced a lightning strike that affected only one side of the house.

Smartass.
i see it affected your sense of humor.

manustarting2gd
03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I was asleep and woke up cuz of a huge pop....got up to see and step on glass...the hall way light freaking blew up everywhere....there was a smoke smell and I did a quick look over and then wanted to was my bloody feet.

Turn on the tub and the water came out dark brown, wtf...look out side and the water meter cover and top is blown off and water is just pooring out.

some of the light fixtures are all black from like a small flash fire.

gonna see what else it did..
just piss and needed to vent

Dog you fucked with RAIDEN, the god of storms and lightning in your avatar and you question why this happened to you????! You might want to change it ASAP.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/marivic1973/Raiden.jpg

Let’s review his powers. He could shoot electrical missiles, teleport by calling down lightning and disappearing into the sky, and most impressively fly across the screen in a burst of energy and drive his opponent into a wall. I believe we have the answer sir.

Just fuckin around sir, sux to hear and I hope you dont have any serious damage to your house and glad to hear you were safe. I was just trying to make light of a serious issue. :hat

koriwhat
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
yeah here at the office this loud ass pop happened and the whole place shook... we are located in a residential area(in a house).

shit was crazy for a second there.

Slydragon
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm posting from my phone have yet to see the pc/tv etc bcuz I know the wires inside the walls are screwed up so I don't want to flip a switch just yet. I know the cable and net are gone cuz the cable wire outside the house is black and burned in some spots.......post back later

Brutalis
03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Lightening or one major power surge. Sorry bro.

Slydragon
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
So far the washer/dry is shot my nice tv turns on sometimies but will not do anything....saws came out and told us we need to fix cuz it's in our yard...want to check other stuff but we need to get the power working.

This suck we just had cash to get by week by week and now we got big issuse to fix.

fuck it, ill do what i tell my friends when they are down

'shit happens, u clean it off your shoes and keep walking'

In about 30 mins I'm get my daughter from school as long as shes ok fuck the tv/washer/etc....I really cant wait to pick her up...make me feel better

Destro
03-26-2009, 02:27 PM
do you have insurance?

to21
03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
i know that, but the computer is pretty delicate so that might be a good indication.Ever heard of a SURGE protector?

Relax, I'm giving you a hard time.

LuvBones
03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
So far the washer/dry is shot my nice tv turns on sometimies but will not do anything....saws came out and told us we need to fix cuz it's in our yard...want to check other stuff but we need to get the power working.

This suck we just had cash to get by week by week and now we got big issuse to fix.

fuck it, ill do what i tell my friends when they are down

'shit happens, u clean it off your shoes and keep walking'

In about 30 mins I'm get my daughter from school as long as shes ok fuck the tv/washer/etc....I really cant wait to pick her up...make me feel better

Awww that's so sweet! Way to see the positives Sly. I hope everything works out with your electricity. =)

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Dog you fucked with RAIDEN, the god of storms and lightning in your avatar and you question why this happened to you????!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/marivic1973/Raiden.jpg

lmao!

koriwhat
03-26-2009, 03:44 PM
goodluck with everything bro

mrcoon29
03-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Update? Is your power back on..it's gonna be a little cold tonight. How about your water? BTW, what side of town are you in?

The Franchise
03-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Does your homeowners insurance cover everything?

Slydragon
03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
At friends house doing some research

Does your homeowners insurance cover everything?

We don't have any so :shootme on that.

Update? Is your power back on..it's gonna be a little cold tonight. How about your water? BTW, what side of town are you in?

We have some but it needs major work. Just the outside we were told starting at 1500.00 the meter is all fuck and the pole connecting to it is crack bad.
The water is kinda of on too we dug half the yard and tore up our sidewalk looking for the leak with no luck, so back to digging when I wake up.

We rig it for the night from the meter to the house with just a water hose :wow we can do anything but drink it. Oyea I'm north central side of town.

I called in for the next 2 days so we can at least get the house semi ok, going to used vacation hours I was saving for something else but o-well

The phone co. is coming out tomorrow and the cable on sat. because none of them work

I went from watching my nice sony 48" bravia to my daughters 13' Tinkerbell tube tv :cry and since she says it's her tv she can watch her DVDs first.

here are some pics I took with my phone,

This is all along the outside of the house
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/img1238122997144.jpg

Looking for the leak
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/img1238122999872.jpg

This was where are chandelier was but it was blown out, it was hanging by the wires only and all the bulbs blew also.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/img1238122994985.jpg

Our big light in the back was also blown as you can see
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/img1238122998018.jpg

hole we made to get to some of the wire in the house
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/img1238123000567.jpg

This was not like this yesterday not the red brick but the wall
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Slydrag0n/img1238122999061.jpg

Also when I mean some of the bulbs blew, I don't mean they just broke the exploded and the glass was everywhere.

I came over to my friends too see if there is some way to tap into my 401k from work because we really need it.

I feel bad for my dad because he was trying to save cash to see his mom in Mexico city in May because she is very sick but now he is piss. He will not say anything about it but we can all tell. So gonna see what I can do so he can see her because he only sees her about once every 10 years and if she passes on without him going I know he will be torn bad.

Thanks for the replies, I'll follow the thread from my phone but will not post much because it sucks typing on a phone.

timvp
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks sucks :td

Get handyman mouse to come help. Tell him I'll pay him.

duncan228
03-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Sorry for your trouble Slydragon, but I'm glad your family is okay. Times are tough enough without necessities needing to be fixed. Hope it all comes together as easy as it can for you.

duncan228
03-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Get handyman mouse to come help. Tell him I'll pay him.

SpursTalk at its best. :tu

JudynTX
03-27-2009, 07:54 AM
:wow That's pretty scary., glad no one got hurt.

Good luck with the house repairs. :)

Drachen
03-27-2009, 08:26 AM
At friends house doing some research

We don't have any so :shootme on that.

I dont get it, you don't have any homeowners insurance? Are you renting? If so, then the landlord has to take care of all of this. This statement just confuses me.

lefty
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Something similar happened to a sibling.

It wasn't lightning.

You might want to leave that house

Viva Las Espuelas
03-27-2009, 11:45 AM

It wasn't lightning.

You might want to leave that housewhat do you mean or what are you getting at?

lefty
03-27-2009, 12:22 PM
what do you mean or what are you getting at?

Well, it was kind of supernatural and scary...:(.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Holy shit, Sly . . . that was one massive lightning bolt.

What did you do to piss god off?

Viva Las Espuelas
03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, it was kind of supernatural and scary...:(.
and............

mrsmaalox
03-27-2009, 01:28 PM

It wasn't lightning.

You might want to leave that house

what do you mean or what are you getting at?

and............

Viva's just trying to lead you to admit that it was the work of Barack Obama!! LOL

Viva Las Espuelas
03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Viva's just trying to lead you to admit that it was the work of Barack Obama!! LOL
well it was an act of God

:wakeup

timvp
04-01-2009, 03:59 AM
Any update?

Taco's Troll
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Damn Sly looks like a lot of damage.

PM5K
04-02-2009, 01:15 AM
So I'm no electrician, although I've done a lot of basic work like changing fixtures, switches, etc.

So here is the question: When the wires take that much power, clearly more than the wires and fixtures were designed to handle, although obviously only for a very short time, are the wires themselves still good?

Slydragon
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Most the major stuff has been fix by my dads friend and most the electric stuff was fix by a friend of mine, he is a certified electrician. The yard and side walk are still torn up but in time we will fix it.

My work HR's dept (HEB) was email what happen by my mangers at work and they gave me a check for $750.00 to help us out, that was a surprise and it help allot as my friend did all the work as long as we bought what was needed.

Washer and dryer are fix, My Xbox was under a Best Buy plan so I got a new one and my PS3 was also under a Sony plan so I am being shipped a new one. My tv is being fix by Sony also, I just told them it was not working right and they sent someone out. I'm waiting for the parts to come in.

The only thing I have to buy again is a router and surround system but that's better than being out everything else I just mention. I'll get then more down the road.

Crazy shit but all in all everything is coming out fine.

BruceBowenFan
04-05-2009, 06:04 AM
My work HR's dept (HEB) was email what happen by my mangers at work and they gave me a check for $750.00 to help us out,

Awsome of HEB to do this. Glad everything is working out for you.