PDA

View Full Version : Twitter? I don't get it...

CosmicCowboy
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
I just got an invitation by e-mail and the description says...

Twitter is a unique approach to communication and networking based on the simple concept of status. What are you doing? What are your friends doing—right now? With Twitter, you may answer this question over SMS or the Web and the responses are shared between contacts.

What the fuck? Why the hell would I want to do that?

Anyone want to explain it to me?

ashbeeigh
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118133&highlight=twitter

SpursStalker
03-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I just got an invitation by e-mail and the description says...

Twitter is a unique approach to communication and networking based on the simple concept of status. What are you doing? What are your friends doing—right now? With Twitter, you may answer this question over SMS or the Web and the responses are shared between contacts.

What the fuck? Why the hell would I want to do that?

Anyone want to explain it to me?

Another form of myspace, facebook and all those other stalking tools ...

:lol

Spur-Addict
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
That's all the explanation you need.

Don't do it.

CuckingFunt
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
As much time as I spend online sharing random bullshit, if something strikes me as excessive and unnecessary... probably not a good sign.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 12:29 PM
gee, CC. you've been a little edgy lately. we already have a sequ

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Here's the main thing I hate that people don't talk about when it comes to Twitter.

Sure, some (many) people use it for blasting information while seeking very little in return, but Twitter's actually pretty useful for brevity in conversation.

I've used it to make contacts with people across the world who share similar interests and I've been able to have great discussions on various subjects.

In Peter's position, it would be another tool to solicit subject ideas and opinions, while also engaging in conversations rather than only talking or only listening. It's not for everybody, but I think you have to be willing to try it, and while doing so, engage somebody in conversation once you see who's out there.

There are a number of tools to help find subjects being discussed or whomever might be great to engage, and honestly, most people are willing to do so.

That's just it. If you only talk about what you're doing, what you had for breakfast, when you took a shit, of course one gets tired of seeing that.

For example, last night I posted this screencap of the Rocky Mountain News' Web site (http://twitter.com/joeruiz/status/1257423673) once I got home and immediately got into this conversation (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=joeruiz&to=delatino&ref=&near=&within=15&units=mi&since=&until=&source=&rpp=15).

Click on the second link, then click on "Show Conversation" in the first message to spread it out.

My point is, if you treat it solely as "What are you doing," that's all you'll get in return. Plus, some people think you have to catch up with every single tweet to stay active. It'd be simply impossible to do so. There are ways to catch up with certain people should you want to do so, but if it's important enough, somebody will let you know. You come in when you can, share what you know, engage in conversation and leave when you're done.

Definitely. A lot of mainstream and non-mainstream media use Twitter for different reasons. I don't like when news orgs use Twitter solely as a blast. If I wanted to know all your stories, I'd sign up for a RSS feed. Don't get me wrong, it works for some people, I just don't want us to get that same label.

We've tried to tailor @ksatnews after @statesman in how we engage with our readers. We get about one news tip per week off our Twitter, while I know Rob at the Statesman gets about 10 per week and 3-5 turn into something (paper or online).

You'd be surprised at the businesses that have built a well-known presence via Twitter. Zappos speaks with its customers, solves issues they may have right away, etc.

Shelly
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
John Honore kept me updated on the storms via Twitter! :tu

Plus, Shaq and Trent Reznor are pretty funny on there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
The point of social media is to be social. I don't expect everybody to like it, but I believe some will once they give Twitter (or Facebook, MySpace, etc.) a chance.

Personally, I've used it to make business contacts locally and across the country. I've picked up some freelance blog work with people who share similar interests and I've been able to get into pointed discussions about topics with people who are interested in them. They bring varying opinions, varying mindsets and it's usually good conversation/arguments.

Some people will use Twitter to talk about what they're eating, etc., and some people are cool with that. I'm not. Granted, I've talked about inane stuff in my life via Twitter, sometimes it generates responses and sometimes not, but it's definitely been a benefit in meeting some great people on- and offline.

Give it a try, follow some people and converse. You may enjoy it, but if you give it a little time, that'll be a better option than trying it for one day.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
John Honore kept me updated on the storms via Twitter! :tu

Plus, Shaq and Trent Reznor are pretty funny on there.

Are you following Johnny H or the KSATnews account? I've been retweeting John's stuff all morning.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking about taking a shit.

Check back later for an update.

Shelly
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
John's. It was the link you gave me a few weeks ago when we were discussing weathermen on Facebook

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Of course, one of the crowning achievements of quick social media via Twitter...

http://twitpic.com/135xa -- The Hudson plane ditching photo sent out on Twitter via Twitpic.
http://www.pdnpulse.com/2009/01/citizen-journalism-photo-lands-on-several-front-pages.html -- The newspaper front pages (including the LA Times that ran that image.

to21
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Paranoid forum

Bigzax
03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
horseys are wet.

Bigzax
03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
this waterbill is outrageous.

Bigzax
03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
stock market not at rock bottom...yet.

Bigzax
03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
slavery reparations? whatever.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Something yesterday I talked about with the guy who runs social media for the Tribune company.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/sfl-bn0325-airport-power-outage,0,3136879.story

The Sun-Sentinel cited its source for the information as a tweet posted. They checked out the tip and found the story.

balli
03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Fuck Twitter. I don't understand why on earth anybody would willingly turn the eye of Big Brother onto themselves.

Bukefal
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Twitter is such a bullshit, the only positive thing is if used by athletes, like basketball players who keep you up to date cause as a fan you want to know everything.

But for ordinary people? what the f*ck do i care if someone is drinking his coffee now, or reading his book 10 min. later. Get a life :P

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I value my privacy too much to put myself totally out there on any of those sites. Also I have a good sized circle of friends/acquaintainces that I keep in regular contact with anyway. I suppose if anyone out of that circle was so interested in contacting me they could find a way. So I just don't think I have a need for any of those networking sites.

leemajors
03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Fuck Twitter. I don't understand why on earth anybody would willingly turn the eye of Big Brother onto themselves.

your computer is connected to the internet.

Kori Ellis
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
I just got another writing job from someone contacting me on Twitter last week... $300 per article :tu

I know some people think everyone on there is just sitting around typing "I'm leaving for the store now." or whatever (and some people are). But it's actually used as a major communication tool for most businesses theses days. Recently, social networking sites/blogs surpassed email as the most popular form of online communication. So I guess eventually everyone will be doing it.

Personally, I don't have MySpace/Facebook. But most companies, big and small, have them all now. It's great for them for advertising, promotions, viral marketing etc.

Three years ago, I wouldn't even have considered blogging. Now I'm the Senior Editor at one of the biggest blog networks that exists. Go figure :lol

balli
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
your computer is connected to the internet.
Yeah, but because of that I don't say even a third of what I'd like to. Believe me, if I felt comfortable with the internet, my "criticisms" of people like Sarah Palin would get me arrested.

And I suppose Kori has a point, but the people who are getting on there to broadcast every detail of their personal lives, are quite beyond me.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Absolutely those sites have a place in business.

ploto
03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
It all just reminds me too much of those Christmas letters I hate.

balli
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
It all just reminds me too much of those Christmas letters I hate.
Me too. It's like c'mon Great Aunt Judy, you can quit sending me the monthly newsletter detailing the petty affairs of my second cousins. I'm over shit like that. Who's selfish enough to think people give a fuck?

Bigzax
03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
okay, consensus.

if you are using it for business related purposes, kudos.

if not, get a god damn life and stop waiting for the latest update on someone elses. :tu

Kori Ellis
03-26-2009, 02:26 PM
... but the people who are getting on there to broadcast every detail of their personal lives, are quite beyond me.

I agree. Some of it is absolutely nuts. Like:

"Just got in a car accident. Blood everywhere. Waiting for police to arrive."

"Hopefully I get some from my girlfriend tonight. She hasn't put out in weeks."

"My kids are so adorable. They just brought home a picture from school."

"There's a fire in my kitchen. Flames. What do you think I should do?"

AlamoSpursFan
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
If it wasn't for Twitter, Chris Duel would never have been able to say "Twat" on the air.

:lol

Shelly
03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
ahem

http://twitter.com/BarackObama

http://wefollow.com/ shows what news agencies, celebs, etc. that are on Twitter

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree. Some of it is absolutely nuts. Like:

"Just got in a car accident. Blood everywhere. Waiting for police to arrive."

"Hopefully I get some from my girlfriend tonight. She hasn't put out in weeks."

"My kids are so adorable. They just brought home a picture from school."

"There's a fire in my kitchen. Flames. What do you think I should do?"

http://twitter.com/joeruiz/status/1392800507

Whisky Dog
03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
What are some techniques for using twwitter as an advertising, viral marketing avenue for your business? I'd like to get contacts and possibly clients for my small business but I don't know anything about using twitter

ashbeeigh
03-26-2009, 04:53 PM
What are some techniques for using twwitter as an advertising, viral marketing avenue for your business? I'd like to get contacts and possibly clients for my small business but I don't know anything about using twitter

The search tool and other programs like tweet deck are good. Learning how to use hashtags #spurs, #marchmadness, for example will also get you go followers. If you are a business, you'll want to follow as many as possible. Just start clicking away. Search for "San Antonio" or #satx" and it'll pull up people in San Antonio or people talking about it. They'll get an e-mail that you're following them and *hopefully* they'll click over to your profile to see who you are and follow back.

Using other programs like tweet deck will allow you to keep track of people in those searches and you can carry on conversations like JB mentioned (who needs to follow me back....btw)

Extra Stout
03-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Still seriously behind on sleep.

Extra Stout
Drawings in front of me. Need to have them redlined by tomorrow.

Extra Stout
Getting up to make copies.

Extra Stout
03-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Two sheets missing from the packet, looking for them...