PDA

View Full Version : Greatest song ever!?

DAF86
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
To me is Pink Floyd's "Comfortably numb"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
greatest...................what................... .............when?

Kermit
03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
ONr5fl-0liQ

DAF86
03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
ONr5fl-0liQ

That's an abomination of nature.

David Bowie
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
"Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd

"Eyes without a Face" by Billy Idol

"Station to Station" by David Bowie

"Don't Follow" by Alice in Chains

"Yesterday" by Paul McCartnery/Beatles

JudynTX
03-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Hells Bells - AC DC

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 12:34 PM
QQtLoJlQD6E

mardigan
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Not even my favorite Floyd song.

DAF86
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
"Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd

"Eyes without a Face" by Billy Idol

"Station to Station" by David Bowie

"Yesterday" by Paul McCartnery/Beatles

"Learning to fly" and "Yesterday" are in my top 30 for sure.

englishspursfan
03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
animals by pink floyd blow me away everytime.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJWis5wH54

mardigan
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I love Run Like Hell. That's probably my favorite Floyd song.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
To me is Pink Floyd's "Comfortably numb"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkJNyQfAprY
some idiot nominated that as my class high school song. she was weird.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 12:41 PM
rY0WxgSXdEE

DAF86
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
some idiot nominated that as my class high school song. she was weird.

Who............where...............weird?

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 12:44 PM
There are way too many songs for me to pick one out as my favorite.

But, I love the song I named my daughter for, Julia by The Beatles.

David Bowie
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
animals by pink floyd blow me away everytime.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJWis5wH54

I listened to this album every time I would smoke some crazy Dutch weed (which made me super paranoid and made mesee colors and shit.) Its an amazing album, and Floyd's best imo, but I absolutly cannot go through with listening to it anymore.

Condemned 2 HelLA
03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Anything from Anal Cunt.

Dr. Gonzo
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Anything from Anal Cunt.

:tu

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
I think it is impossible to decide. I have a couple songs I consider my favorites, I think out of them only these 2 could possibly be in the discussion for the Best Song Ever. I don't actually think either of them are, but they might atleast crack the top 100 for the discussion. I have a bunch of other "favorites" but I know where they actually stand in the grand scheme of it all

S8nz5clDx4g

9aiG4GQ4fkc

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
In My Life is one of my favorite Beatles songs.

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Favorite Beatles song is probably A Day In Life or Michelle.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM

I'm not a big Beatles guy- I think I like maybe 5 songs. In My Life is a great song though. I appreciate the Beatles, but I'm more of a Stones guy and would consider the Stones better, I understand that is kind of a unpopular opinion

mardigan
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Indifference by Pearl Jam, 3 Of A Perfect Pair by King Crimson, and Street Spirit by Radiohead are three of my favorite songs ever.

My favorite Beatles song is She's Leaving Home.

SpursStalker
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7B5jXYRy3Q

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Favorite Beatles song is probably A Day In Life or Michelle.

have you buys checked out Beatallica?
funny stuff.

Hey Dude is my favorite
so is Blackened in the USSR

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Favorite Radiohead song is Karma Police.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not a big Beatles guy- I think I like maybe 5 songs. In My Life is a great song though. I appreciate the Beatles, but I'm more of a Stones guy and would consider the Stones better, I understand that is kind of a unpopular opinion

Well, The Beatles did more expirementation with music than The Stones did. The Stones pretty much stuck with the R&B/Blues influence.

I like them both, very much.

I just appreciate what The Beatles did in terms of sound and lyrics more than what The Stones did with their music.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Indifference by Pearl Jam, 3 Of A Perfect Pair by King Crimson, and Street Spirit by Radiohead are three of my favorite songs ever.

My Favorite songs are:
Pearl Jam-Black
Pearl Jam-Off He Goes
Cyndi Lauper- Time After Time (I'm serious and I'm not gay)
Rolling Stones-Tumbling Dice
Beatles- In My Life
Radiohead-Airbag

Like I said, I won't argue that any of them are the best songs ever. I like most of these songs for a bunch of different reasons and some of them are not even musical

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 01:10 PM
I never got into Pearl Jam. Don't know why, but it was never my kind of muzac.

mardigan
03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Radiohead-Airbag

Great freakin song. I also love Exit Music (For A Film).
Makes you realize how incredible that whole album is.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, The Beatles did more expirementation with music than The Stones did. The Stones pretty much stuck with the R&B/Blues influence.

I just appreciate what The Beatles did in terms of sound and lyrics more than what The Stones did with their music.

Yea in the sense of stepping outside of themselves and innovating I like the Beatles. But it's hard to believe that the Stones have about 20 songs that probably 90% of the modernized world would know within 10 seconds of hearing the first riff. I mean some bands spend their whole career just trying to get a hit, and the Stones have arguably 15 not just hits, but legendary songs. Like I said, I like the Beatles, but I think that if Mick Jagger was shot 30something years ago, people would appreciate the Stones more than they do

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
if you guys do the bit torrent thing there's an awesome pro shot concert in japan from their last tour out there. i think i got it on demonoid. maybe traders den

DAF86
03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Favorite Radiohead song is Karma Police.

:toast

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM

I more than like almost every Radiohead song they have except Maxamatosis (still working on it) and a couple B-Sides I can't name off the top of my head. I love every one of their albums. That said, Airbag is the one song I have to turn up when I hear it. I never get tired of it. It's an amazing song: the music is incredible and the theme and lyrics a perfect. It's also the first Radiohead song I really liked, and the one that brought me to learn of one of my 3 favorite bands (Pearl Jam and the Stones)- so it has some sentimental value in that

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
if you guys do the bit torrent thing there's an awesome pro shot concert in japan from their last tour out there. i think i got it on demonoid. maybe traders den

I think I posted it on here a month or so ago along with the Santa Barbara 08 show. You can find them at the giglinkdump and ateaseweb

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
IMO, Exile on Main St. is better than anything the Beatles did.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Indifference by Pearl Jam

My favorite Pearl Jam song is either Yellow Ledbetter or Black.

Viva Las Espuelas
03-26-2009, 01:18 PM
i think mine is Tremorchrist.

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
And for the Stones, the only song I really like is Paint It Black.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Yea in the sense of stepping outside of themselves and innovating I like the Beatles. But it's hard to believe that the Stones have about 20 songs that probably 90% of the modernized world would know within 10 seconds of hearing the first riff. I mean some bands spend their whole career just trying to get a hit, and the Stones have arguably 15 not just hits, but legendary songs. Like I said, I like the Beatles, but I think that if Mick Jagger was shot 30something years ago, people would appreciate the Stones more than they do

I don't think it has anything to do with John Lennon being killed.

In terms of lyrical quality, The Stones can't match The Beatles. Also, many of the songs that you would associate with The Stones are actually covers.

Aint To Proud To Beg being a big example of that.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM

have you read the book that was written a couple years ago about it? If you haven't, you should. It's got some amazing behind the scenes stuff about their drug use during that album and the fights that went down. Makes you appreciate that album even more

My favorite Pearl Jam song is either Yellow Ledbetter or Black.

Black is mine as well.It might be perfection in terms of a breakup song. It is incredible live. I have 154 versions of it on my computer, and have listened to them so closely that I have a Top 5 and even a favorite which was done a couple years ago. Since it is one of your favorites I'll pass it along when I get home tonight

purist
03-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Pop/Rock
"Miss American Pie" - Don McLean or
"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin

Country
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" - George Jones

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM

In terms of lyrical quality, The Stones can't match The Beatles. Also, many of the songs that you would associate with The Stones are actually covers.

I'm not saying they would be bigger than the Beatles, just saying they would get more respect than they already do today (which is saying alot). Like look what death did to Nirvana, and they maybe had 1 good album and the rest were somewhere between average and decent. If Mick Jagger died before the Stones did what they did in the 80's.. Damn look what a drummers death did to Led Zep.!

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM

The White Album, for me, is much better as is Revolver.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
My top 20 songs of all the time varies most of the time but a few are constant:

"Rock the Casbah"-The Clash

"LowRider"-War

"Josie"-Steely Dan

"Sultans of Swing"-Dire Straits

"Let's Stay Together"-Al Green

Of course I have a top 20 for almost every genre

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't usually associate ATPTG with the Stones. It's a Temptations masterpiece. Always has been, always will be. That's like someone saying, "Oh, whenever I hear Satisfaction I associate it with Otis Redding."

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Black is mine as well.It might be perfection in terms of a breakup song. It is incredible live. I have 154 versions of it on my computer, and have listened to them so closely that I have a Top 5 and even a favorite which was done a couple years ago. Since it is one of your favorites I'll pass it along when I get home tonight

Kick ass. I appreciate that.

Kermit
The White Album could be great if they just would've taken out all the filler.

peewee's lovechild
I'm not saying they would be bigger than the Beatles, just saying they would get more respect than they already do today (which is saying alot). Like look what death did to Nirvana, and they maybe had 1 good album and the rest were somewhere between average and decent. If Mick Jagger died before the Stones did what they did in the 80's.. Damn look what a drummers death did to Led Zep.!

You have a good point.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
The White Album could be great if they just would've taken out all the filler.

It did have some filler, and I really don't like "Glass Onion" . . . I think they tried too hard with that one.

But, overall, it's a fucking great album.

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Best Country song is Wasted Days and Wasted Nights by Freddy Fender.

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Damn look what a drummers death did to Led Zep.!

Whoaaa...

Led Zep was already the biggest band in the world when Bonham died. And the Stones are widely considered the second greatest band of all time. I don't understand how they're disrespected.

balli
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know how I feel about Stones v Beatles, but comparing their, IMO, respective best albums, I give a slight edge to Revolver over Exile. And actually, body of work wise, the Beatles have em beat. Plus, they were 20 years ahead of their time when the Stones were still busy riffing on blues progressions.

And it's impossible to pick my favorite song, but 7 of the top 10 are probably Dylan songs. And One Too Many Mornings live in 66 is up there.

MgwCu5Vl1UU

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:33 PM
You have a good point.

Kind of on the same subject, have you ever read the book Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman? It's my absolute favorite book, and a very easy read. It touches on the fact that bands that die young are making the best career move they could ever make. It relates it to life and relationships you had in your life on how you always look back and think of the one that got away as the greatest girl ever because you never got a chance to see her in a different light- Like how we remember the Beatles for all the great things they did, but we never got to experience the 1995 John Lennon goes Country tour. He writes about it as he is doing an article in Spin where he drives around the country to all the places where rock stars have died

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't know how I feel about Stones v Beatles, but comparing their, IMO, respective best albums, I give a slight edge to Revolver over Exile. And actually, body of work wise, the Beatles have em beat. Plus, they were 20 years ahead of their time when the Stones were still busy riffing on blues progressions.

That is a valid point, and like I said I think I'm in the majority that likes the Stones more- but you have to give the Stones their due too. When they came out they were seen as the devil's music where the the public was more receiving of the Beatles. My dad said that when they were kids the Stones were seen as sort of a Marylin Manson by their parents. They were even banned from playing cities like Detroit, and fans on the Stones were kind of like rebels. That is what the Stones changed, they changed the culture of Rock while the Beatles were more of a Pop band that turned to rock later on down the road

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released." Of course, anything by The Band is kickass.

balli
03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released."
Yeah that's great. You know who else has a kick ass cover of that song is Chrissie Hynde.
0YSoDaTcH8g

deadratsam
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM

3EsQXaMqcpo

J.T.
03-26-2009, 01:45 PM

When you talk about the Beatles being great, you're really talking about Lennon and McCartney. Those two left a huge impact on the music scene. You can also thank them for mastering multi-track recording. They didn't just come to America in the 60s with great haircuts and faces that made our moms wet. But as far as musical genius is concerned, it gets no better than the Beatles.

balli
My dad said that when they were kids the Stones were seen as sort of a Marylin Manson by their parents. They were even banned from playing cities like Detroit, and fans on the Stones were kind of like rebels. That is what the Stones changed, they changed the culture of Rock while the Beatles were more of a Pop band that turned to rock later on down the road
I'll still go with the Beatles, but yeah,

That is a valid point

Thunder Dan
Whoaaa...

Led Zep was already the biggest band in the world when Bonham died. And the Stones are widely considered the second greatest band of all time. I don't understand how they're disrespected.

I don't know. I guess I don't see why Led Zeppelin is considered as great as they are. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great band, but when you list the Top 5 bands of all they are always listed either 3-4. That ranking might be true, but I think sooner or later they would have created enough bad music to take their ranking down enough. I mean we already see on of the members doing folk music, but I can't honestly imagine a Led Zeppelin with 20 more years under their belt considered one of the best. You know what I'm saying? I think they are top 10, but I think that him dying and them stopping so abruptly made them immortals, when they could have turned into more of like a Metallica: a band that still tours and releases albums that nobody other than die hards really care about.

J.T.
03-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Oh, and just my opinion, but Revolver isn't the Beatles best album. It might not even be their third best album. White Album is definitely their best.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
I think Rubber Soul is their best- but I guess that is what makes a great band: they don't have that one album that is clearly their best and someone's 'best Beatles album' might be considered by someone else as their worst.

SpursStalker
03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
BEST song EVER ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPRHJd3uHI

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Are we really demeaning Raising Sand? It's one of the better albums from last year, hands down. And U2 seems to have done pretty well for themselves by reinvention. Led Zep was heading down that road, if InThroughTheOutDoor was any indication. I see your point, but they were good enough to have already overcome a shitty album i.e. Presence and some pretty fucked up personal circumstances.

And Bonham stuffing a shark up some groupies vagina = instant legend.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:51 PM
all this talk about rockers who die and make their band bigger forces you to offer my own opinion on the opposite of that happening with another big name. Bruce Springsteen wrote a ton of hits that are actually not great songs by any stretch of the imagination, however, he lived long enough that he is now considered a great song writer by the music community. He managed to pull the exact opposite of what should happen as you grow old. He still makes music that is no better than decent, but he is patronized by his peers and people act like he is some kind of genius. It's fascinating. It's like a lifetime achievement award for every year he keeps breathing

balli
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't know. I guess I don't see why Led Zeppelin is considered as great as they are. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great band, but when you list the Top 5 bands of all they are always listed either 3-4. That ranking might be true, but I think sooner or later they would have created enough bad music to take their ranking down enough. I mean we already see on of the members doing folk music, but I can't honestly imagine a Led Zeppelin with 20 more years under their belt considered one of the best. You know what I'm saying? I think they are top 10, but I think that him dying and them stopping so abruptly made them immortals, when they could have turned into more of like a Metallica: a band that still tours and releases albums that nobody other than die hards really care about.

Led Zep was my first musical love... and then I grew up.

I don't know how I feel about Bonham's death leading to an inflation in their value. There' probably some truth in that. But honestly, they had some good music left in em. Presence is IMO, maybe their best album. And if ITTOD wasn't all that great, I think they still had some jaw droppingly good potential when Bonham died.

balli
03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
. I see your point, but they were good enough to have already overcome a shitty album i.e. Presence and some pretty fucked up personal circumstances.

What??? Heresy. I think it's by far their hardest album to appreciate, but I think once you understand what Zeps all about, Presence is one of their top albums. I'll take Achilles Last Stand, For Your Life and Tea for One any day of the week. Especially Live.

Fuck Plant, that album was, Jimmy Page epitomized.

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
all this talk about rockers who die and make their band bigger forces you to offer my own opinion on the opposite of that happening with another big name. Bruce Springsteen wrote a ton of hits that are actually not great songs by any stretch of the imagination, however, he lived long enough that he is now considered a great song writer by the music community. He managed to pull the exact opposite of what should happen as you grow old. He still makes music that is no better than decent, but he is patronized by his peers and people act like he is some kind of genius. It's fascinating. It's like a lifetime achievement award for every year he keeps breathing

There are a shit ton of people who will disagree with you on Sprinsteen. And he's written very few "hits".

marini martini
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
My favorite song is The Band's cover of Dylan's "I Shall Be Released." Of course, anything by The Band is kickass.

:toast:toast:toast

Love the Band!!!

Kermit
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
What??? Heresy. I think it's by far their hardest album to appreciate, but I think once you understand what Zeps all about, Presence is one of their top albums. I'll take Achilles Last Stand, For Your Life and Tea for One any day of the week. Especially Live.

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. Not my cup. I tried man, believe me. But when you're 16, some things don't resonate. Due to your endorsement, I might have to go back and give it another try.

z0sa
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii - Echoes pts. 1 and 2

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Led Zep was my first musical love... and then I grew up.

I don't know how I feel about Bonham's death leading to an inflation in their value. There' probably some truth in that. But honestly, they had some good music left in em. Presence is IMO, maybe their best album. And if ITTOD wasn't all that great, I think they still had some jaw droppingly good potential when Bonham died.

I'm saying that all bands are immortalized like that. That is why I say if Jagger or Richard died, the Stones would be much much better than they already are. I mean they are still the biggest band living and touring today, but can you imagine the Stones without Dirty Work? I mean just look at the cover of that god forsaken thing! They are still big despite them putting out a bunch of albums nobody cares about, and touring while they are fossils. We never saw the Beatles offer their version of Dirty Work in the 80's, and we didn't get the Led Zeppelin Unplugged Covers of Disco songs albums. We never knew what would happen to them. The Stones withstood all of that and are still considered the 2nd best band ever.

http://image.maniadb.com/images/album/167/167242_1_f.jpg

balli
03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Actually some songs sucked, but I really love parts of that album.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
There are a shit ton of people who will disagree with you on Sprinsteen. And he's written very few "hits".

yeah and there is a shit ton of people buying Jonas Brothers Albums

leo_d
03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I go with bohemian rhapsody, is such a weird song, i just can`t figure out how someone could have the imagination to write it.

Kermit
Are we really comparing Bruce Springsteen and the Jonas Brothers?

David Bowie

I am not a huge Springsteen fan. I agree with you, most of his stuff is decent.

HOwever "Streeets of Philadephia" is definatly one of my favorite songs.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't usually associate ATPTG with the Stones. It's a Temptations masterpiece. Always has been, always will be. That's like someone saying, "Oh, whenever I hear Satisfaction I associate it with Otis Redding."

Can I Get A Witness, Carol, Everybody Needs Someone To Love, You Can't Catch Me, Not Fade Away, I Wanna Be Your Man (actually written by The Beatles), It's All Over Now . . . that's all I can remember at the moment.

Spurminator
03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Hard to choose, but at this point, I'd say "God Only Knows." On another day, I might say "Wouldn't It Be Nice." And those songs were released on the SAME SINGLE. Crazy.

DAF86
03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
I go with bohemian rhapsody, is such a weird song, i just can`t figure out how someone could have the imagination to write it.

Freddie Mercury is the most underrated musician of all-times.

balli
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
http://image.maniadb.com/images/album/167/167242_1_f.jpg
Stupid f'ing 80's. What a shit decade for music.
http://www.rocktownhall.com/blogs/media/blogs/rth/Empire.jpg

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Best song ever just crossed my mind!

PR7cd_N2LPU

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Kind of on the same subject, have you ever read the book Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story by Chuck Klosterman? It's my absolute favorite book, and a very easy read. It touches on the fact that bands that die young are making the best career move they could ever make. It relates it to life and relationships you had in your life on how you always look back and think of the one that got away as the greatest girl ever because you never got a chance to see her in a different light- Like how we remember the Beatles for all the great things they did, but we never got to experience the 1995 John Lennon goes Country tour. He writes about it as he is doing an article in Spin where he drives around the country to all the places where rock stars have died

I'll have to check that out.

balli
03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Hard to choose, but at this point, I'd say "God Only Knows." On another day, I might say "Wouldn't It Be Nice." And those songs were released on the SAME SINGLE. Crazy.
I have never, ever been able to force myself into truly liking Pet Sounds. I'm far too conceited and cynical I think. Tough luck for me, because I know I'm missing out.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Are we really comparing Bruce Springsteen and the Jonas Brothers?

Both are critically acclaimed
Both are from New Jersey
Both sell a ton of albums
Both have songs that people like, and in turn think they are great

that is my problem with Springsteen. It's not like I don't recognize his right to exist, I do. It's that he is often referred to as one of the best ever. His fans are like Dave Matthews Band fans where they think he is the best thing to ever discover music. That is my problem with him. He will go down as someone like Bob Dylan when he should go down as someone like John Couger Mellencamp. Like Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands, but I recognize they are not the best ever, probably not even Top 50, but Bruce fans think he is better than the freakin Beatles. They talk about him like he is a god. He wrote Working on the Fucking Highway- that shit sucks! Born to Run is him over preforming a bunch of lame-ass lyrics. And his first 2 albums were only relevant to someone if they were a union worker in Jersey. He didn't even try to use metaphors like the Beatles did so they would relate to everyone. When he was writing a song about leaving work, it was a song about leaving work:traffic, time cards, your boss, everything. That is lame.

Kermit
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Can I Get A Witness, Carol, Everybody Needs Someone To Love, You Can't Catch Me, Not Fade Away, I Wanna Be Your Man (actually written by The Beatles), It's All Over Now . . . that's all I can remember at the moment.

Witness - Gaye
Carol - Berry
Everybody - Burke
Berry
holly

I'm not saying they didn't cover songs. These songs however are associated with their primary singers, at least for me. The songs the Stones are most famous for are the ones they wrote themselves.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:12 PM

The Band had some kick ass songs.

The Weight is probably my favorite followed by Acadian Driftwood.

Spurminator
03-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I have never, ever been able to force myself into truly liking Pet Sounds. I'm far too conceited and cynical I think. Tough luck for me, because I know I'm missing out.

I like it but it's not something I can just listen to all the time, front to back. For a "best album ever" contender, I think it has a bit too much filler. Still, those two songs are among the most beautiful ever recorded. So fun to dissect all of the layers piece by piece.

peewee's lovechild
When you talk about the Beatles being great, you're really talking about Lennon and McCartney. Those two left a huge impact on the music scene. You can also thank them for mastering multi-track recording. They didn't just come to America in the 60s with great haircuts and faces that made our moms wet. But as far as musical genius is concerned, it gets no better than the Beatles.

I agree.

But, you have to give Harrison some credit.

leemajors
Anything from Anal Cunt.

this could be its own thread. one of my personal faves is "Kyle from Incantaion has a Moustache." i think they also got perma banned from SA for setting a club on fire.

Kermit
03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Both are critically acclaimed
Both are from New Jersey
Both sell a ton of albums
Both have songs that people like, and in turn think they are great

that is my problem with Springsteen. It's not like I don't recognize his right to exist, I do. It's that he is often referred to as one of the best ever. His fans are like Dave Matthews Band fans where they think he is the best thing to ever discover music. That is my problem with him. He will go down as someone like Bob Dylan when he should go down as someone like John Couger Mellencamp. Like Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands, but I recognize they are not the best ever, probably not even Top 50, but Bruce fans think he is better than the freakin Beatles. They talk about him like he is a god. He wrote Working on the Fucking Highway- that shit sucks! Born to Run is him over preforming a bunch of lame-ass lyrics. And his first 2 albums were only relevant to someone if they were a union worker in Jersey. He didn't even try to use metaphors like the Beatles did so they would relate to everyone. When he was writing a song about leaving work, it was a song about leaving work:traffic, time cards, your boss, everything. That is lame.

:lmao

I completely disagree, but that was some funny shit. BTW, Clapton fans are the exact same way.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM

I completely disagree, but that was some funny shit. BTW, Clapton fans are the exact same way.

I think it was only a matter of time before I landed on Springsteen. It's a shame he is even mentioned in this thread considering the title. So sorry everyone I'm ready to move on

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Oh, and just my opinion, but Revolver isn't the Beatles best album. It might not even be their third best album. White Album is definitely their best.

The White Album is definitely my favorite. I have to make Revolver my second on the list because there are so many songs that I just love. Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, and Let It Be round up my Top 5.

balli
03-26-2009, 02:17 PM
BTW, Clapton fans are the exact same way.
God I'm glad you brought that up. Clapton is just a fucking fraud of a legend. I can't stand the guy.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM
yeah and there is a shit ton of people buying Jonas Brothers Albums

I like The Boss, but that was a funny retort.

leemajors
03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
You can't go wrong with Erotic City.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:19 PM

God Only Knows is perhaps the greatest Beach Boy song.

Spurminator
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Speaking of Clapton and how bad the 80's were for mainstream rock (especially artists that were big in the 70's), this one pretty much sums up the decade for me.

szRNqPBmqDw

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Witness - Gaye
Carol - Berry
Everybody - Burke
Berry
holly

I'm not saying they didn't cover songs. These songs however are associated with their primary singers, at least for me. The songs the Stones are most famous for are the ones they wrote themselves.

The songs I listed are the ones that established them in the 60s. It wasn't until the late 60s that they went on with their own stuff.

I guess I was just making a point that The Beatles made their way into music by writing their own material, whereas The Stones debuted with covers.

Thunder Dan
It's ironic I'm involved in a music debate, but it's not surprising. I'm very opinionated about it, my first ever posts on Spurstalk was during the Summer of 07 when the Finals were going on. I came over here to basically see what was doing and possibly troll but my first posts turned into a 4-5 page discussion on why I think Metallica sucks. I don't even remember who I was arguing with but it was pretty funny, it was basically me saying I think Metallica sucks, and a bunch of people calling me an asshole for either thinking/saying that or for being a Cavs fan. Good times

Kermit
God I'm glad you brought that up. Clapton is just a fucking fraud of a legend. I can't stand the guy.

Worst musician in Cream. Horrible solo on WMGGW. Let's an add-on on the Layla sessions outplay his ass up and down that record. Writes what is quite possibly the worst song love song ever that I have to fucking here everytime there's a wedding. Fuck Clapton.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I like it but it's not something I can just listen to all the time, front to back. For a "best album ever" contender, I think it has a bit too much filler. Still, those two songs are among the most beautiful ever recorded. So fun to dissect all of the layers piece by piece.

I think Pet Sounds could very well be a Top 5 contender for "best album ever".

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:24 PM

WHOA, Whoa, whoa . . . .

Clapton is a guitar god.

Kermit
03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
The songs I listed are the ones that established them in the 60s. It wasn't until the late 60s that they went on with their own stuff.

I guess I was just making a point that The Beatles made their way into music by writing their own material, whereas The Stones debuted with covers.

I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. But I'll disagree with your first premise. The Beatles were totally a cover band. It's how they got a record contract from Epstein in the first place.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't even know what we're arguing about anymore. But I'll disagree with your first premise. The Beatles were totally a cover band. It's how they got a record contract from Epstein in the first place.

They covered during concerts.

As a matter of fact, the song that got them the studio contract was the Lennon/McCartney song "I Should've Known Better".

They wrote their own music from the beginning.

Kermit
03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Sure, they wrote songs. But it was a cover of My Bonnie with Tony Sheridan that got Epstein out to see them in a club.

balli
03-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Eh, I don't really care what they did in Hamburg. Rubber Soul on up were OG as it gets.

deadratsam
03-26-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't "get" Bruce Springsteen.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Sure, they wrote songs. But it was a cover of My Bonnie with Tony Sheridan that got Epstein out to see them in a club.

True.

But, thier first album wasn't an album full of covers.

That's been my point all along. They were original from the get go. They didn't have to wait to "find" themselves.

CubanSucks
03-26-2009, 03:07 PM
to me is pink floyd's "comfortably numb"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkjnyqfapry

hell fucking yes!!!

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
And my favorite Nirvana song is Lithium.

dirk4mvp
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
The pulse version of comfortably numb is the best version of that song. Old man Gilmour layed it down.

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
The pulse version of comfortably numb is the best version of that song. Old man Gilmour layed it down.

My lady got me that DVD a couple of years ago.

Wait a minute . . . was it "Pulse" or "Echo".

Anyway, Gilmour kicked all sorts of ass on that one.

xtremesteven33
03-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Free Bird- Lynrd Skynrd

leo_d
03-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Freddie Mercury is the most underrated musician of all-times.

That would be Charly Garcia :p:

baseline bum
03-26-2009, 04:31 PM
If I had to pick my favorite piece of music ever written, it is 100% without a doubt the Fourth Movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony (From the New World). I can't think of anything even close.

Vlci-kCEaKE

CuckingFunt
03-26-2009, 04:31 PM
The White Album is definitely my favorite. I have to make Revolver my second on the list because there are so many songs that I just love. Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers, and Let It Be round up my Top 5.

My top 3 are Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Help.

Probably not the most cerebral choices, but I just can't fight how catchy Help is.

CuckingFunt
03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
You can't go wrong with Erotic City.

This is truth.

Solid D
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Over the course of centuries of music, you may want to consider Beethoven's Symphony #9 in D Minor (Ode To Joy), Tchaikovsky's The 1812 Overture, or even older yet...the 23rd Psalm.

Spurminator
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Beatles for Sale never gets much love, and it's probably the last one I heard but I find myself going back to it a lot (maybe because I burned myself out a little on the others).

CuckingFunt
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I like Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, personally. But, even though it was written as an organ piece, I actually prefer it performed by a full orchestra.

Spurminator
03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Five pages and no mention of "Kyle's Mom's a Bitch."

baseline bum
03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Another favorite (though nowhere close to Dvorak) is Cocaine Blues by Johnny Cash.

ITsvPjbEPtc

balli
03-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Classical? My knowledge doesn't go too deep, but it's all about Schubert's unfinished 8th in D minor.

That and the first two movements of Claude Bolling's suite for chamber orchestra and jazz piano trio.

David Bowie
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Mozart's Requiem.

Probably because I sang all of it in high school choir :lol

Spursone
03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
"Satisfaction", The Rolling Stones.:toast

or

George Gershwin's "An American in Paris":rolleyes.

CuckingFunt
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
If I was going to go with "Satisfaction" (and, incidentally, I wouldn't), I'd go with the Devo version.

FromWayDowntown
03-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Relevant here, I suppose, is my most recent frustration -- trying to get all of these in 15 minutes:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/rollingstonesongs.php

I'm a big believer in Beatles over Stones, but I think it's mostly a question of preferences. I have a great appreciation for great lyrics and like songs more for their lyrical content than the music that goes along with them. I think its extremely difficult to top many of the songs in the Lennon/McCartney catalog, and certainly believe that finding any performer with the depth of great lyrical songs that those guys created is just simply not possible. But I'm a Beatles homer, too.

I'll admit, though, that I've been revisiting the Stones a lot recently, and certainly understand why ranking the two can be a debate for some people.

mrsmaalox
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
We need these threads for every genre of music!! :tu on the Dvorak. Amongst my favorite classical pieces are Alexander Borodin's Polovetsian Dances, and Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio in G MINOR for Strings & Organ, which is the most emotionally moving piece I have ever heard. But my absolutely favorite classical piece is George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I like both the Stones and the Beatles, but like I said, I'm more of a Stones guy because I'm more into rock. Every time I think about it, I can't even fathom how awesome that must be to have the resume they have. Bands try and try to just get one song played on the radio, or to be heard outside of their hometown- they work their entire lives to just have that one breakthrough hit. The Stones have about 40 songs that are more than hits, and have about 25 songs that are legendary songs. Having just 2 or 3 would have made them iconic, they have like 25! 25 songs that the second it comes on, wheter you are in New York, Tokyo, London, Sydney, Mexico, anywhere- the second you hear it, you know what it is. How many bands other than the Beatles can say that? I mean look at this list, how many people would kill to just have one of these accredited to them..

Satisfaction
Under My Thumb
Paint It Black
Gimmie Shelter
Symphony for the Devil
Jumpin Jack Flash
Ruby Tuesday
Angie
The Last Time
Get off of My Cloud
Brown Sugar
Shattered
Start Me Up
Can't Always Get What You Want

That is a sick list and I left off about 30 other songs that reached #1. And I always refer back to one of my favorite bands in Pearl Jam. They are big, and have written some big songs, but their biggest song-whatever it may be (Alive,Betterman?) doesn't even come close to any of those mentioned. The Stones are just that much better and bigger. It's really incredible to think about what the Stones and Beatles have done

AmericanPsycho
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Sweet Melissa - Allman Brothers

Thunder Dan
03-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Sweet Melissa - Allman Brothers

tell me a little bit about Phil Collins and his transition from Genesis

Jekka
03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I agree.

But, you have to give Harrison some credit.

+1 - "Something" is one of my most favorite love songs ever. Although I think it comes in just behind "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell.

As for classical, I really do love the Elgar cello concerto, and the Jacqueline du Pre recording is still by far the best one.

manufor3
03-26-2009, 08:58 PM
hotel california, the eagles

Pistons < Spurs
03-26-2009, 09:52 PM
ACdwCIld3kE

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
If I had to pick my favorite piece of music ever written, it is 100% without a doubt the Fourth Movement of Dvorak's 9th Symphony (From the New World). I can't think of anything even close.

Vlci-kCEaKE

If we're going to go classical, I'd have to go with Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" for best symphony and Chopin's "Nocturne in E flat major, op. 9 #2 as the greatest single piece.

Ode To Joy:

Wod-MudLNPA

Nocturne in E flat major, op.9 #2:

5ZUw78FXpG4

peewee's lovechild
03-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Over the course of centuries of music, you may want to consider Beethoven's Symphony #9 in D Minor (Ode To Joy), Tchaikovsky's The 1812 Overture, or even older yet.

I like both, though I prefer Ode to Joy.

The Peter Gynt Suite by Grieg is also great.

Melmart1
03-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Too many to choose just one, but off the top of my head:

Into Mystic, Van Morrison
God Only Knows, The Beach Boys
While My Guitar Gently Weeps, the Beatles
Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin
Coat of Many Colors, Dolly Parton
Fall on Me, R.E.M.
There is a Light that Never Goes Out, the Smiths

Solid D
03-26-2009, 11:31 PM
...and then there was Sequ's 3rd Movement.

baseline bum
03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I like Beethoven, but that 4th movement in Dvorak's 9th just gets you hyped and makes you want to jump up and start breaking shit.

cherylsteele
03-27-2009, 01:04 AM
gPofnIFvgUw

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I like Beethoven, but that 4th movement in Dvorak's 9th just gets you hyped and makes you want to jump up and start breaking shit.

Have you heard Grieg's Peter Gynt Suite?

There's a movement called "In The Hall of The Mountain King". If you've never heard of it, take a listen and you will probably recognize it. It also gives you that kind of rush.

fzyi3C4gNnE

Dr. Gonzo
03-27-2009, 09:32 AM
BRuerc7OSlk

desflood
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
If we're going to go classical, I'd have to go with Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" for best symphony and Chopin's "Nocturne in E flat major, op. 9 #2 as the greatest single piece.

Ode To Joy:

Wod-MudLNPA

Nocturne in E flat major, op.9 #2:

5ZUw78FXpG4
The "Ode to Joy" has been my favorite since I was about 10 :lol. Definitely the best "song" ever. But Vivaldi's "Winter" will always hold a special place for me as well.

MGS6uSPGqvo

DAF86
03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Mozart's Requiem.

Probably because I sang all of it in high school choir :lol

I love that song, but all the Youtube fake trailers kinda ruined it for me.

JoeChalupa
03-27-2009, 10:34 AM
No "Best Song Ever" exists except in each of our own individual souls.

antimvp
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
rebel yell
hot for teacher
gimme shelter

DAF86
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Freddie Mercury is the most underrated musician of all-times. That would be Charly Garcia :p:

Charly isn't underrated as he is unknown. If he would have singed in english he would be right up there with Lennon and other musical gods.

FrostKing
08-13-2019, 01:36 AM
https://youtu.be/D_TGGgkCLD8

Sir Johnny
08-13-2019, 01:53 AM
There is no such thing. You have to go with best song for the genre.

Hank Williams has no equal if talking 1940's country. But what he did was nothing lie what Charlie Parker was doing or Bo Diddley.

Thread
08-15-2019, 07:30 PM
Tomorrow makes 42 years since he passed away.

I'll mark the spot with perhaps his greatest performance:

"Early Lord, one frosty morn...

https://youtu.be/jrsbC-IMayg

Thread
09-03-2019, 08:02 PM
No, not the greatest by any means, but, a fine discovery nonetheless:::

https://youtu.be/aity2zCUjdE

FrostKing
09-05-2019, 12:21 AM
https://i.ibb.co/X2GbvFt/Screenshot-2019-09-04-02-09-37-1.png

FrostKing
10-24-2019, 02:26 AM
This American song

https://youtu.be/6jiBEztS_uY

koriwhat
10-24-2019, 07:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5rWxKsbzno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkcAH-m9W0

FrostKing
10-29-2019, 12:24 PM
https://youtu.be/llyiQ4I-mcQ
BOOM BOOM ROAD ROOM

GAME 7

funtime

FrostKing
11-18-2019, 08:57 PM
https://youtu.be/gZu9ZXWNzE0

DMC
11-21-2019, 12:08 AM
cWnyNjQVEZ4

Not best ever but...

Decent cover

Bynumite
11-25-2019, 11:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IslF_EyhMzg

Clipper Nation
11-26-2019, 12:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lvbpXCXZDg

Roscoe P. Coltrane
11-27-2019, 12:43 AM
https://youtu.be/kiGhE6EVViw

rascal
12-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Black music is better than white music in the 20th century and forget about anything from the 21st century. Classical music pieces are the best music but not to my liking although I recognize it as the highest form of music.

Rock music sucks( in general too guitar oriented and little else), Soul music is better - at least soul singers can sing.

FrostKing
12-10-2019, 10:15 PM
Black music is better than white music in the 20th century and forget about anything from the 21st century. Classical music pieces are the best music but not to my liking although I recognize it as the highest form of music.

Rock music sucks( in general too guitar oriented and little else), Soul music is better - at least soul singers can sing.
There is a reason majority of black music involves dancing. Because they are incapable of playing an instrument and the voice/lyrics streaming from the microphone is shit

1.White music
2. Brown music
3. Black music
4. Asian music

ChumpDumper
12-10-2019, 10:46 PM
There is a reason majority of black music involves dancing. Because they are incapable of playing an instrument and the voice/lyrics streaming from the microphone is shit

1.White music
2. Brown music
3. Black music
4. Asian music
I can tell you don't play an instrument.

Chucho
12-11-2019, 12:07 AM
I can tell you don't play an instrument.

How'd you come to that?

ChumpDumper
12-11-2019, 12:09 AM
How'd you come to that?

He would know all the black people who are excellent at instruments.

Chucho
12-11-2019, 12:55 AM
He would know all the black people who are excellent at instruments.

This is Frost King, not Avante. He wants all the coloreds genocided, not to have sex with all the ones who wear short shorts and play tube instruments.

FrostKing
12-19-2019, 07:54 AM
https://youtu.be/FNKPYhXmzoE

FrostKing
12-19-2019, 08:09 AM
https://youtu.be/6c1BThu95d8

FrostKing
12-19-2019, 08:22 AM
https://youtu.be/yjJL9DGU7Gg

FrostKing
12-19-2019, 09:15 AM
https://youtu.be/Zz-DJr1Qs54