PDA

View Full Version : Bali, sorry to bring you the bad news buddy...

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D975QL000&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama had some fun with at least one question at his online town hall, saying he doesn't think legalizing marijuana is a good strategy for turning around the economy. Obama told the audience Thursday that one of the most popular questions was whether legalization of the illicit drug would help pull the nation out of the recession. The president jokingly said: "I don't know what this says about the online audience."

In a serious response, he said he didn't think that was a good economic policy.

Epic Fail Guy
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Who wants to read an entertaining /b/ thread about it?

http://img.4chan.org/b/res/126626380.html

look at all the hippies coming out of the woodwork!

RandomGuy
03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
(shrugs)

Is there anyone who doubts that the criminalization of marijuana simply puts money in the hands of criminals?

shelshor
03-26-2009, 02:36 PM
(shrugs)

Is there anyone who doubts that the criminalization of marijuana simply puts money in the hands of criminals?

Hence politicians refusal to legalize pot

balli
03-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Out of humorous consideration, I came pretty close to starting a thread titled- F@ck Obama, but meh, I'm so complacent on this issue it isn't even raising my hackles. Though I thinks it's obviously dumb and wrong.

LnGrrrR
03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D975QL000&show_article=1

I'm not sure if he believes that or not, but do you really think the President would say anything but? Heck, only a small minority in Congress would say otherwise.

MannyIsGod
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure if he believes that or not, but do you really think the President would say anything but? Heck, only a small minority in Congress would say otherwise.

He tends to say tthings as they are, but this is complete bullshiht and everyone with half a brain fucking knows it. How is it NOT good economic policy to stop wasting money on a drug war and openn up a new avenue of tax revenue.

Obama had a moment where he could have shown great politcal courge that would have garnared support, but I guess the budge is more important than making a stand.

And honestly, it probably is. But what is really dissapointing is how hard he shut the door on this with such a defitive statement. Then again if he doesn't then its all over the news and the news cycle is dominated by "does Obama support pot usage" forcing him to come out with a strong statement condeming it anyway.

I'm still dissapointed.

boutons_
03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
War on Drugs is huge, make-work business for the warriors, and then for prison industry.

Those two segments can buy all the legislative votes they need to keep the war going and filling up the prisons.

Ignignokt
03-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Look at all the latin american countries that legalized pot, they all are making killer govt revenues.

balli
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I have no idea which Latin American countries have legalized weed and which haven't, if any at all, but I know if people weren't going down there to cut loose from America, they'd be doing a lot worse than they are.

And I know, that none of them have regulatory systems in place to tax it.

I'm sorry, anybody who thinks keeping weed illegal is a good idea, is just flat-out wrong. Such arguments don't even merit discussion. Especially when you try to do so on economic grounds. In the minds of reasonable people everywhere, legalizing marijuana is more or less a foregone conclusion.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
The times are a changing. I know in my lifetime I will see legal marijuana.

Manny, don't get so down. It's only Obama words. They can change from one day to the other. :toast For whatever reason, you still appear to believe he is anything but a normal politician.

I would love for LEO to stop dicking around with these nobodies for some harmless pot and start applying more resources to attacking the actual nasty garbage floating around this country. Boutons is right. They want people in the system because the system makes money.

balli
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
In the minds of reasonable people everywhere, legalizing marijuana is more or less a foregone conclusion.

In fact, barring a few sniveling dissenters, [clears throat], it' seems to be about the only political issue on this board that both the left and right agree on. Which actually says quite a bit, because we're generally as divisive as it gets.

LnGrrrR
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
In fact, barring a few sniveling dissenters, [clears throat], it' seems to be about the only political issue on this board that both the left and right agree on. Which actually says quite a bit, because we're generally as divisive as it gets.

That, and the fact that mostly all of us hate the Wall St fuckers :D

MannyIsGod
03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
War on Drugs is huge, make-work business for the warriors, and then for prison industry.

Those two segments can buy all the legislative votes they need to keep the war going and filling up the prisons.

The general public has absolutely no idea how big the prison industry is.

LockBeard
03-28-2009, 11:10 AM

It's just like racism in America. Once the old guard dies off, the younger generations are a lot more relaxed on issues.