PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody......

E20
09-22-2004, 07:43 PM
Help me with my English HW PLEAAAAASE. I'm begging.:cry

King Latifah
09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Not based on your initial post. What exactly is your hw?

E20
09-22-2004, 07:50 PM
My teacher sucks. She doesn't know how to teach.
I'm supposed to read this poem and 'talk to the text' and write anything that's on my mind while reading the poem also find alliterations, personifacations, define words I don't know etc. And just what I think about the poem. Ok I do that and the bitch still gives me a check minus. After that I'm supposed to write a paragraph about what I think the poem is about.

Here is the poem:

Query
Jean Burden
I asked the birds
who sing at night
where they learned their songs,
and what they sang about.

They said, "We learn from
birds who sing by day,
but what we sing about
is hard for us to say.

"Only those with beak
and wing can fathom joy
in dark and doubt.
The sky may turn to evening
and the sun to moon,
but we sing
of what you do not speak—
how night is sometimes noon,
how any season of the soul
can, with time, be coaxed to spring."

ducks
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
I know duck not english sorry :p

Pooh
09-22-2004, 08:14 PM
If you don't know and understand all the words in that poem then you're in a bad shape. It's really not that hard E20. Just "read between lines" on it. She just wants to see if you get an idea of the meaning, etc. No one is going to have the exact answer, trust me. Everyone in your class will have different views.

E20
09-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Yes exactly Pooh, but this is like a the 4th poem we've done and I express what I think yet she still gives me a check minus for some reason. I read the poem once straight through, then a second time through underlining words and definind words I don't know and searching for metaphors etc. It's probably because of the color of my skin.

E20
09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Can anyone tell me what they think what the poem is about. I'm thinking along the lines that the birds are not really birds but people that sing or are affiliated with music and they don't know the language but know the songs of the people who are at day when he is at night(time differences?) that's what i think....

SequSpur
09-22-2004, 11:55 PM
The poem is about birds that sing.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Query
Jean Burden
I asked the birds
who sing at night
where they learned their songs,
and what they sang about.

They said, "We learn from
birds who sing by day,
but what we sing about
is hard for us to say.

"Only those with beak
and wing can fathom joy
in dark and doubt.
The sky may turn to evening
and the sun to moon,
but we sing
of what you do not speak—
how night is sometimes noon,
how any season of the soul
can, with time, be coaxed to spring."

OK...it's a poem about hope and finding some cause for happiness even in dark times...keeping your head up and having faith that things will get better if you don't let the song in your soul die..

theres your check + buddy...run with it...

tlongII
09-23-2004, 11:06 AM
It's a poem about some crazy person that talks to birds. This person actually believes the birds are singing some sort of coherent message and attributes human emotions to the mindless avians as well. Clearly this is an example of what happens to an individual after far too much experimentation with psycho-active chemicals.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Clearly this is an example of what happens to an individual after far too much experimentation with psycho-active chemicals.

hehehe...guilty as charged...:eyebrow

IcemanCometh
09-23-2004, 11:51 AM
haha check minus, what the **** is wrong with our schools today.

Spurminator
09-23-2004, 11:56 AM
Check Minus on a scale of what? Is that like an A-? A C-?

KoriEllis
09-23-2004, 12:41 PM
It's about how you can be happy (sing) in all kinds of circumstances (darkness) and no one understands or can relate unless they have been in your circumstances too (that's why it says the birds in the day don't understand what the birds of the night are singing about). It's about finding happiness in whatever place you might be.

spurster
09-23-2004, 01:14 PM
I had a class like this. The English teacher wanted deeper meanings and at the time, I didn' t really have a clue what she wanted. However, unlike a lot of homework questions, the crowd appears sympathetic and willing to help, so good luck.

Tommy Duncan
09-23-2004, 01:17 PM
It's like a country song. The author got drunk, lost his woman, lost his farm, the hippies are fucking everything up, and he's going to keep feeding the jukebox and drinking himself into oblivion with what little cash he has left.

Solid D
09-23-2004, 02:50 PM
It sounds like the night birds are a "cover band" for the day birds who recorded the original stuff and experienced what they sing about.

(Think about it...more truth here than you may think)

MickeyOnFox
09-23-2004, 04:56 PM
Your going through alot of hard work just for a green Card

e mail me.

LandSharkII
09-23-2004, 04:59 PM
:rollin

bigzak25
09-23-2004, 05:19 PM
fuckin mouse....:lol

E20
09-24-2004, 12:34 AM
:rollin :lol
:rollin @ MickeyonFox

My teacher is crazy she grades on scales of checks(?) a check minus is 16 points, check is 20 and a plus is 22. She's crazy, she has A.D.D all signs point to it. Thanks for your help anyway. I submitted it in and I'll see what I get by Monday.

Solid D
09-24-2004, 01:31 AM
Hey, I've got an idea.

E20, post what you turned in and let us all take a shot at giving you a grade, Forum style! 8)

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/icons/checks/checkmark2.gif

E20
09-24-2004, 08:30 PM
LOL, I forgot what I wrote down.

SpursWoman
09-24-2004, 10:29 PM
ROFLMFAO @ mouse!

:lol :lol :rollin :lol