PDA

View Full Version : Shaquille O'Neal: Critically Massive (Shaq's Opinions On League's Big Men)

duncan228
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
He's still working that number four with Duncan.

Shaquille O'Neal: Critically Massive (http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2009/03/shaquille_oneal_critically_mas.html)
by Geoffrey C. Arnold

Shaquille O'Neal's career has been rejuvenated since he arrived in Phoenix last season.

The 37-year-old center's scoring and minutes averages -- 18.2 points and 30.2 minutes per game -- are his best in five seasons. Though the Suns could miss the playoffs, O'Neal has produced a solid season and was named to the All-Star team for the 15th time in his 17 NBA seasons.

With his four NBA titles, an MVP award and three NBA Finals MVP awards, O'Neal still considers himself the gold standard among current NBA centers.

"I'm the CEO of centers in this league," O'Neal said. "I'm the shogun and the rest of the guys must go through the ninjas before they get to me."

O'Neal says he gets motivated when playing against the so-called "next dominant big man." Few would be surprised if he produces an outstanding game against Blazers rookie center Greg Oden or starting center Joel Przybilla -- whom he has had a few heated encounters over the years -- in tonight's game at the Rose Garden.

When it comes to rating NBA big men, O'Neal has his own share of opinions. Here's what he had to say:

Greg Oden, Portland -- "Young guy, who looks pretty athletic. He's just have to get a go-to move, a shot he can rely on. Give him some time and he should be a great center."

Yao Ming, Houston -- "I don't think there is anybody like Yao, someone who can take over a game and change the game. Yao is a great center. With his height and his ability, he can shoot the jumper or post-up."

Tim Duncan, San Antonio -- "Tim Duncan and I share the same responsibilities, but Tim is one of those quiet owners who doesn't talk a lot. He's got four (championships) and I've got four."

Dwight Howard, Orlando -- "He's a highly respected center. I haven't really seen him back people down like (Patrick) Ewing used to do or (Kevin) Duckworth or I used to do it. He catches lobs and rebounds. He just does what he's supposed to do."

Andrew Bynum, Los Angeles Lakers -- "A big guy and he plays above the rim. He does what he's supposed to do."

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cleveland -- "He has a lot of moves in the post. If he didn't have so many foot problems, he would have displayed those moves long before now. He can step out and shoot, post up. Great team player, great touch around the basket."

Ben Wallace, Cleveland -- "He has always been an undersized center. He'll never back down, no matter how many times you hit him. He's going to still come at you, still rebound and still fight."

Brad Miller, Sacramento -- "An undersized, but respectable center. He's more like a Tim Duncan-type forward. He can step out and shoot the jumper. He will foul you hard and will not back down."

lefty
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
:lol Wow, he doesn't think much of Bynum since their scuffle

HarlemHeat37
03-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I love how Shaq always takes subtle shots at Howard LOL..

he really only shows respect to Timmy and Yao when it comes to big men..interesting to see that he had good things to say about Oden though..

lefty
03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I love how Shaq always takes subtle shots at Howard LOL..

he really only shows respect to Timmy and Yao when it comes to big men..interesting to see that he had good things to say about Oden though..

I'm surprised he didn't slam Brad Miller

Xylus
03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
It's too bad he wasn't asked about Przybilla or Dampier.

ChumpDumper
03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
:lol @ Miller's being undersized.

Brutalis
03-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Are you sure he didn't pay an 11yo for that commentary?

lefty
03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
It's too bad he wasn't asked about Przybilla or Dampier.

I'm sure they are good friends :lol

SouthTexasRancher
03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Shaq is getting soft in his old age. You gotta love the big lug! I still hope he comes to SA next season to finish off his career here and get his 5th ring to go
along with Timmy's 6th ring! Course someone will need to buy out his contract and Shaq would need to play for the league minimum but, hell bringing him off the bench as our 12th man...Holy, Galloping Aristotle! :bking

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
He's a Laker next season! :)

SouthTexasRancher
03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
he's a laker next season! :)

lol

z0sa
03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
He's a Laker next season! :)

that would be fantastic.

crc21209
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Who cares what Shaq has to think? :lol.

MoSpur
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
LOL at calling himself the Shogun.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
If Shaq where a Shogun he would have fallen on his sword by now after all the times he has made a fool of himself.

41times
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Eff Shaq! he is the most single overrated NBA player in the history of the game. Yeah he is the 5th all time leading scorer. Big shit. If i was 7 foot tall and weighed 325 lbs with just a small amount of athleticism i would be great too.

His skills:

He can Dunk
He can rebound because of his size
He's large, no wait that's not a skill.
He can shoot jumpers. No wait he can't do that either.
He's a good Free Throw shooter....nope can't do that either.
He can run the fast break......too slow
He's a great passer.......no not really he's a average passer.
Did I mention he can Dunk!
He is a decent defender, i'll give you that one but not near as good as Timmy
He can dribble.......out the corner of his mouth.
He can Dunk and pull down the rim! woo hoo.

Screw Shaq. He is a 1 maybe 2 dimensional player. Give me Tim Duncan, Yao Ming and Dwight Howard since they have all been in the league over Shaq.

IronMexican
03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
I guess you could say the same thing about LeBron James. Quit hating.

Manufan909
03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I guess you could say the same thing about LeBron James. Quit hating.

You quit hating on people telling the truth. Lebron is ok on FTs, he's a nice passer, trys really hard on D, but Shaq isn't a great player because of his skills and BBIQ, but his raw power. Which has been more than enough to make him one of the greatest centers to play the game, but give Duncan Shaqs size and power, and watch the fuck out. He'd never have let his body to go to waste over an offseason, or not work on his FTs, or cause any kind of drama for a team.

Hell, switch Duncan with Shaq from the teams they were on in 2000, and the Lakers would've done more than 3-peat. Idk if Timmy and Kobe would be bffs, but TD would've been his perfect complement, considering he likes to lay low and just work, and Shaq couldn't shut his mouth to save his life. Or consistently do what would've been best for the team. Could you ever see a prime-Shaq taking a paycut?

Now don't hate cuz I told the truth. Hate Shaq for not realizing his true potential.:hat

DUNCANownsKOBE2
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Dwight Howard, Orlando -- "He's a highly respected center. I haven't really seen him back people down like (Patrick) Ewing used to do or (Kevin) Duckworth or I used to do it. He catches lobs and rebounds. He just does what he's supposed to do."

Andrew Bynum, Los Angeles Lakers -- "A big guy and he plays above the rim. He does what he's supposed to do."

Shaq = SD