View Full Version : Backcourt tandem doubtful vs. Wolves

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Backcourt tandem doubtful vs. Wolves: Ginobili's groin, Parker's thigh remain sore spots
Web Posted: 03/15/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031505.4D.BKNspurs.notebook.13bf338fd.html

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich isn't optimistic about Manu Ginobili's chances of playing Wednesday against Minnesota.

Ginobili has missed the past three games with a groin strain he suffered a week ago in the Spurs' victory over New Jersey.

"He says his shoulder contusion, his calf contusion and his hip pointer — everything else that was bothering him is fine," Popovich said. "If you ask him how his groin is, he says it's a little better but still tight."

Tony Parker, who missed his first game of the season Monday with a left quadriceps contusion, is questionable to play against the Timberwolves. But Popovich thinks he will be able to play by Friday against Charlotte.

Parker has a knot bigger than a golf ball on his left thigh.

"I don't think he'll be out as long as Manu's been," Popovich said. "Hopefully, it will loosen up in a couple of days."

The rash of injuries hasn't come at a good time, though Popovich said the team is trying to make the best of a bad situation.

"This is when you would like to get on a roll going into the playoffs, so (the injuries) have made it difficult to do that," he said. "But this is the way it is.

"We'll take anything good out of it we can get. There are a lot of guys that are getting more minutes. Their effort has been great.

"Their execution isn't always the best with the odd combinations on the court, but they're playing hard enough to win. I just want to see if they stick with it and continue to improve in execution, understanding that's still the same thing that wins games, whether they're starters or not."

Maybe next time: Spurs backup point guard Beno Udrih said he's leaning toward not playing for Slovenia's national team in this summer's European Championships.

Udrih hurt his knee playing for the team last summer and thinks he might need the rest after his first NBA season.

"Last year was just too much practicing," Udrih said. "When you're not rested enough, you get hurt."

Udrih said he will have other opportunities to play for the national team.

Off the bench: Nazr Mohammed had his second consecutive productive game, contributing eight points, five rebounds and two blocks in 21 minutes.

Mohammed said he feels significantly better since he missed four games to recover from a groin strain. Popovich has noticed.

"He has a real knack for the ball, he's a good rebounder, and he moves well defensively," Popovich said. "We like what we've seen."

Bench time: After scoring a career-best 25 points in his last appearance against the Spurs, New Orleans rookie shooting guard J.R. Smith spent much of Monday evening watching from the sideline.

Smith started but played only nine minutes until Hornets coach Byron Scott sat him. Smith never re-entered the game.

"I was upset in his defensive play, and I was upset with his attitude," Scott said. "At 19 years old, if he's going to act like that, he's going to sit down for a while."

T Park
03-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Don't know if this team can beat the Wolves without those two.

Im gonna side on the side of not.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Pop actually didn't say that Tony was doubtful to me.

Kori: "Do you think you'll have Manu and Tony back for Wednesday?"

Pop: "I don't know. I doubt Manu; possibly Tony."

milkyway21
03-15-2005, 02:23 AM
Time flies. we're just 19 games to playoffs.

Miami is assured of playoff spot if they can beat the Knicks tonight.

When can S.A. clinch a playoff spot? in a win vs. Wolves or Detroit...?

T Park
03-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Manu not being ready, is not good what so ever.

My uncle said tonight while we were watchin the game supposedly Pop said Manu needs a MONTH off, but, the time I can give him right now, is all I can.

WTF, what if Manu IS out for a month.

I dont know if we can sew up 1 without him.

BTW 19 games left. 19!!! damn, where did the season GO.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 02:26 AM
I never heard anything about a month. As far as I know Manu is still day-to-day.

milkyway21
03-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Pop actually didn't say that Tony was doubtful to me.

Kori: "Do you think you'll have Manu and Tony back for Wednesday?"

Pop: "I don't know. I doubt Manu; possibly Tony."

nba.com would be disappointed if Tony won't play :lol

you see, they actually have a vote of nikeballer of the week contest between Tony & Cassell. i guess it's too late now for changing it to Tim Duncan vs. KG now bec. a lot had voted already. :lol

Duncanoypi
03-15-2005, 02:32 AM
Duncan and KG is an adidas endorser...

milkyway21
03-15-2005, 02:35 AM
Duncan and KG is an adidas endorser.....yeah, i forgot the 21121.com. And Cassell & TP are both wearing Air Zoom.

milkyway21
03-15-2005, 02:38 AM
BTW, Tony is way ahead, got 79% votes. :lol

despite the 10th WC seed Minny is still a dangerous team bec. of KG. Hope TD w/ Nazr & Co could pull this one. If we don't want Minny in the playoffs, now is the time.

Tek_XX
03-15-2005, 02:55 AM
I think we'll be fine if we can manage to get two of the big three on the court, Duncan being the most important. Tough situation all around but a healthy team is more important than a number one seed, although i think we can achieve both.

milkyway21
03-15-2005, 03:20 AM
still the Best matchup:

Tim Duncan vs. Kevin Garnett

Ginofan
03-15-2005, 07:08 AM
So obviously Manu is not getting any better...at least not at the rate that they were hopeful for. Kori do you think it's possible that Pop will sit Manu out vs the Wolves and the Cats and have him ready for Detroit?

Slo spurs fan
03-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Rest him until he is ready for rumble!
Spurs will need him whole in playoff.
He will come back BIG when it will count more than now.

ducks
03-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Maybe next time: Spurs backup point guard Beno Udrih said he's leaning toward not playing for Slovenia's national team in this summer's European Championships.

that is nice to know

Slo spurs fan
03-15-2005, 08:59 AM
Not really, ducks! :depressed But I respect his decision.

Spurminator
03-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Meh, why risk it against a Lottery team?