PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Clippers Previews

duncan228
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Los Angeles (18-54) at San Antonio (47-24) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009032724&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EDT Fri Mar 27, 2009
TV: KTLA, My35
By Matt Becker

The San Antonio Spurs usually coast through most of the regular season before turning up the intensity for a playoff push.

That late surge has been delayed this season due to injuries to their “Big Three,” but that’s about to change.

For the first time in six weeks, the Spurs expect to have Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili in the lineup together Friday night when they host the lowly Los Angeles Clippers, who haven’t won in San Antonio in seven years.

With a one-game lead over Houston in the Southwest, the Spurs (47-24) are seeking their second consecutive division title and seventh in nine years. Winning has typically come easy for San Antonio, which has four NBA titles in the last decade, but it’s been more of a challenge this season.

The Spurs have been plagued by injuries with Ginobili missing 32 games, Parker out for 10 and Duncan six.

“In San Antonio there are high expectations,” said Parker, who had 42 points in Wednesday’s 102-92 victory over Atlanta. “Nobody cares if Manu is out for 30 games and Timmy is in and out. They want to see us in the top and that’s what we’re trying to do.”

Ginobili returned Wednesday after missing 19 games with a right ankle injury, but San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich decided to rest Duncan the day after a 107-106 win over Golden State.

Duncan, who already sat out back-to-back games earlier this month to rest his knees, is expected to return against the Clippers (18-54). Duncan, Parker and Ginobili have not been in the lineup together since a 91-89 loss at Toronto on Feb. 11.

Parker carried the team offensively while Ginobili was out, and that was no different Wednesday.

Parker, who’s led the Spurs in scoring in 16 of the past 17 games, made 18 of 25 shots and all six of his free throws.

“This is one of the best games I’ve seen Tony play,” Ginobili said.

Ginobili finished with two points on 1-of-7 shooting in 13 minutes against the Hawks - his first game since scoring 32 versus the Raptors.

“I felt a little rusty and slow tonight,” he said. “I wasn’t expecting to have a great game. I just wanted to get back into game action.”

San Antonio’s lineup being at full strength does not bode well for Los Angeles. The Spurs have won 11 straight over the Clippers since a 98-85 loss March 7, 2006, outscoring them by an average of 25.0 points in the last two.

The Spurs have also won 12 consecutive home games over Los Angeles since a 91-87 defeat Jan. 31, 2002, and 21 of the last 22 in San Antonio.

The Clippers have won three of their last 20 road games but are coming off Wednesday’s 140-135 overtime victory at New York that snapped a nine-game road losing streak.

Los Angeles trailed 44-28 after the first quarter but had little resistance from the Knicks the rest of the way. The Clippers finished with a season-high 64 points in the paint and connected on 10 of 19 from 3-point range.

Seldom-used Mike Taylor led the Clippers with 35 points, more than doubling his previous career high (15). The rookie made 14 of 20 shots and was so effective that coach Mike Dunleavy stayed with him over the struggling Baron Davis to open the second half.

“It finally all came together, especially with the team being down big in the first quarter,” Taylor said. “That’s kind of my chance to pick it up and bring the energy that I’ve been bringing all year.”

Los Angeles, which snapped a three-game skid Wednesday, has not won back-to-back games since Feb. 23 and 25.

Notes

Clippers:

F Al Thornton scored 21 points and G Eric Gordon had 19 for the Clippers, who snapped a nine-game road losing streak. Seemingly on the way to being run off the floor while surrendering 44 points in the first quarter, they quickly erased a huge early deficit and ended two games worth of dismal offensive efforts, shooting 58 percent from the field.

Spurs:

C Tim Duncan sat out the game to rest his knees. ... G Manu Ginobili returned to the lineup after a 19-game absence and scored two points on 1-of-7 shooting in 14 minutes. ... G Tony Parker scored 42 points - his second highest total of the season.

Team Stat Leaders

Zach Randolph LAC 21.3
Tony Parker SA 21.9

Rebounds

Marcus Camby LAC 11.5
Tim Duncan SA 10.6

Assists

Baron Davis LAC 8.0
Tony Parker SA 7.0

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Los Angeles 18-54 4th Pacific / 13th West 95.7 104.2 Road 8-28 Won 1 3-7

San Antonio 47-24 1st Southwest / 2nd West 96.8 92.9 Home 25-11 Won 2 6-4

Manufan909
03-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Can't wait to see the Manu, Gooden, and KT in the 2nd unit. Hill and Bowen would give me a boner, but I'll most likely have to live with Mason and Ime. If Manu takes over ballhandling that's fine, but who comes in for Mason? Is he really going to be a fixture for both units???

peacemaker885
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
What's wrong with them Clippers? They have Camby, Randolph, Davis, Gordon, Thornton...wtf?

VI_Massive
03-26-2009, 10:01 PM
What's wrong with them Clippers? They have Camby, Randolph, Davis, Gordon, Thornton...wtf?

No defense, bad coaching, bad personalities, take your pick.

Spurlady
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
It is a great time to have tickets to a game--Tim, Tony and Manu altogether. I am hoping for my favorite kind of game--where the Spurs win by 30 or more.

raspsa
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Spurs can't afford to be complacent even if its only the Clippers.

duncan228
03-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Friday: Spurs (47-24) vs. Clippers (18-54) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Friday_Spurs_47-24_vs_Clippers_18-54.html)

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: KMYS
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - CLIPPERS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 1 Baron Davis (6-3, 10th yr)
Parker has 72 points, 20 assists in Spurs' last two games.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 10 Eric Gordon (6-3, 1st yr)
Mason was 7 for 10, 2 of 5 on threes, in Wednesday's win over Hawks.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 12 Al Thornton (6-8, 2nd yr)
Thornton is third-leading scorer among all second-year players.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 50 Zach Randolph (6-9, 8th yr)
Duncan has sat out second game of last two back-to-back sets.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 23 Marcus Camby (6-11, 13th yr)
Camby averaging a double-double, 10.9 points and 11.6 rebounds.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
7 Fabricio Oberto, C, 6-10, 4th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-9, 7th yr

CLIPPERS RESERVES

3 Alex Acker, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
4 Mike Taylor, G, 6-2, 1st yr
2 Fred Jones, G, 6-2, 7th yr
9 DeAndre Jordan, C, 6-11, 1st yr
35 Chris Kaman, C, 6-11, 6th yr
20 Steve Novak, F, 6-10, 3rd yr
8 Brian Skinner, F, 6-9, 11th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Clippers: Mike Dunleavy

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (right ankle surgery) is out.

Clippers: Ricky Davis (sore left knee) and Mardy Collins (plantar fasciitis, right foot) are out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Jacque Vaughn

Clippers: Davis, Collins

NOTABLE

Clippers come into the game off of a 140-135 victory over the Knicks at Madison Square Garden in which Zach Randolph tortured his former team, making 15 of 21 shots and scoring 33. ... Rookie George Hill has played only 14:47 in the past three games, including no minutes at Atlanta. ... Spurs will be back on the road after this game, heading to New Orleans for a Sunday game against the Hornets.

- Mike Monroe

NRHector
03-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Right now is not the time to think is an easy game, there is no more easy games so they need to be focus and kick some ass:flag:

Blackjack
03-27-2009, 01:43 AM
PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 1 Baron Davis (6-3, 10th yr)
Parker has 72 points, 20 assists in Spurs' last two games.

:wow

That just looks absurd...

Thomas82
03-27-2009, 06:00 AM

Yeah, and at that rate, he should easily get his 10,000th point tonight.

Spursmania
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM

I just hope he can get some rest too. Hopefully, Spurs focus and can get a big lead early, so maybe Parker can get some rest. He's been playing a lot of minutes and we need him rested and healthy for the playoffs too.

Duncanoypi
03-27-2009, 11:08 AM
from B-Diddy's twitter

Baron_DavisNot feeling to good this am. There is a flu circulating be careful

seems like there's a flu roaming around San Antonio....lol

Thomas82
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I just hope he can get some rest too. Hopefully, Spurs focus and can get a big lead early, so maybe Parker can get some rest. He's been playing a lot of minutes and we need him rested and healthy for the playoffs too.

I think he'll be rested enough for the playoffs. Pop is a mastermind at finding ways to get rest for his players.

Morg1411
03-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Right now is not the time to think is an easy game, there is no more easy games so they need to be focus and kick some ass:flag:

:toast

duncan228
03-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Los Angeles Clippers (18-54) at San Antonio Spurs (47-24) (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/scores/live/preview.aspx?id=11130)

(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs hope to build on their slim lead in the jumbled Southwest Division tonight when they host the hapless Los Angeles Clippers.

The Spurs, who lead idle Houston by a game in the division, will be shooting for their 12th straight overall win over the Clips and their 13th straight triumph over LA in the Alamo City. New Orleans is just 2 1/2 games back of San Antonio in the Southwest while fourth place Dallas is also within shouting distance at four games back.

San Antonio, minus All-Star Tim Duncan, is coming off an impressive road win in Atlanta on Wednesday when Tony Parker posted game-highs of 42 points and 10 assists, scoring 18 in the fourth quarter to help put the wraps on the Spurs' 102-92 triumph over the Hawks.

Roger Mason had 18 points and Michael Finley 13 for the Spurs, who won their second in a row.

Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich elected to rest Duncan but Manu Ginobili made his return to the hardwood after missing more than 1 1/2 months due to a nagging ankle injury. The Argentine standout logged a little more than 14 minutes of floor time after having not played since February 11. He was 1- of-7 from the floor, finishing with two points.

Duncan, meanwhile, is expected to return to action tonight.

The Clippers are just playing out the string in another disappointing season. The team did improve to 1-3 on a six-game road trip on Wednesday with an exciting overtime win at Madison Square Garden.

Mike Taylor had a career-high 35 points and keyed a crucial run in the extra frame, as history repeated itself in LA's 140-135 win over the New York Knicks.

In the teams' other meeting this season, on February 11, New York's Al Harrington earned a technical foul for pulling himself up on the rim after a dunk and slapping the backboard with both hands. The subsequent free throw allowed the game to go to overtime, with the Clippers winning 128-124.

On Wednesday, Harrington -- who tied a season-high with 38 points to lead the Knicks -- dunked with 27.9 seconds to play. It gave the Knicks a 127-124 lead, but again he was given a technical foul for pulling himself up and hanging on the rim.

Eric Gordon hit the free throw for LA, and Zach Randolph's two free throws on the Clippers' possession tied the game, sending it to overtime.

Randolph added 33 points for LA, while Al Thornton ended with 21 points and nine rebounds. Gordon scored 19 and Baron Davis finished with 13 points and six assists.

The Clippers, who are a miserable 8-28 on the road this season, have not won back-to-back games since February 23 and 25. LA will finish its road trip in Houston on Saturday.

Pauleta14
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM

He did even better on the home bck to bck against Dallas and Portland!!
76pts, 21 ast and 3TO in 2 games/days without either Tim and Manu...

Pauleta14
03-27-2009, 11:35 AM

For sure I'll be counting !! (25, 23, 21, ...) :lol

mytespurs
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Spurs can't afford to be complacent even if its only the Clippers.

I agree! I hope the Spurs come ready to play tonight and not lose a winneable game as they had last week. I will see some of this game since it's a Clippers game and it's on live locally.

crc21209
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Gotta keep winning these...

shelshor
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Referee Assignments
Fri. Mar. 27
L.A. Clippers @ San Antonio: M. Wunderlich, M. Ayotte, M. Smith

duncan228
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Clippers @ San Antonio - Game Preview (http://www.clipsnation.com/2009/3/27/811776/clippers-san-antonio-game)
by ClipperSteve

The Back Story:

* November 17, 2008 in LA - San Antonio 86 - Clippers 83

* January 8, 2009 in San Antonio - San Antonio 106 - Clippers 84

* March 2, 2009 in LA - San Antonio 106 - Clippers 78

The Big Picture:

Winning Wednesday in New York was fun and all. But those were the Knicks. These are the Spurs. Scoring 140 isn't an option - in fact, in three meetings so far, the Clippers haven't topped 84. And whereas the Clippers have pretty much owned the Knicks in recent years, they have lost 11 straight against the Spurs, most of them in embarrassing fashion. The Spurs spacing and discipline just tends to shred the Clippers defense. The Clippers will have to get monster performances from multiple players to even have a chance in this game. And although LA certainly has several players capable of having big nights on offense (Mike Taylor joining that list with 35 Wednesday night), it won't much matter without playing some defense, which the Clippers have not shown much interest in all season, and which has fallen by the wayside completely in the last month or so. If you're looking for a reason that perhaps this game could be different than the other three meetings, it is true that the Clippers have been far from full strength against San Antonio this season. In fact, this will be the first time that Zach Randolph will face the Spurs, and certainly the Clippers have had more success with the Clippers than without him this season. With 10 games left, the Clippers have 18 wins - they'd have to go 5-5 in those 10 games to equal last season's dismal win total of 23 and avoid 60 losses on the season. Don't count on it.

The Antagonist:

Lucky Clippers. The Spurs are expected to have their big three of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili together tonight for the first time in about 6 weeks. Ginobili just recovered from an ankle injury and played his first game back Wednesday against the Hawks, but Tim Duncan rested in that one on the second night of back to backs for the team. How good is the Spurs system? With a rusty Ginobili going 1 for 7 and no Tim Duncan, they beat the playoff bound Hawks anyway. I must say it every time I write a Spurs preview, because I'm still amazed every time I go through their lineup: who are these other guys? They start 36 year old Michael Finley, Matt Bonner and Roger Mason, even when every one is healthy. But they just run their stuff, play tough defense, make a lot of threes, and win. And obviously Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are good. Really good.

The Subplots:

* Here's an idea: start Mike Taylor. Taylor obviously had a huge game against the Knicks. He started the second half of that one as MDsr played the hot hand. But Tony Parker is the engine that makes the Spurs go, and Taylor has the best chance of any Clipper of staying with him. As it happens, Taylor did get the start the last time these teams met, when Eric Gordon was out with a bruised shoulder. Unfortunately he got into early foul trouble and was a non-factor in the first half, although he played well in the second. I doubt that MDsr will start Taylor in this one: he'll go with the usual backcourt, and give Gordon the impossible task of trying to keep Parker out of the lane. But Taylor should (and likely will) get an early call and a lot of minutes.

* Z-Bo. Zach Randolph has not played against the Spurs this season. Unfortunately for him, he'll likely have to go against Tim Duncan all night. Zach's not going to be able to get to his left hand in the lane nearly as easily on Duncan as he did against David Lee (by the way, that was a surprisingly poor defensive performance from Lee - I expected better from him). If his jumper is falling, and he can draw Duncan away from the basket, he could be OK. If not, it's going to be a long night.

* Matchup hell. We've already talked about Parker. Duncan is of course one of the great players in the game and a tough cover regardless. Camby has been playing sparingly (and lethargically, it must be said) - but that may have to do with a sore hamstring. Kaman has gotten the assignment many times in the past, and will likely spend a lot of time there tonight. As for Ginobili - good luck. Fred Jones, I guess. But if Manu can shake off the cobwebs, he could have a huge game.

* The Tirade Rematch. It was after the Spurs destroyed the Clippers in LA that owner Donald Sterling lambasted them in the Staples Center locker room. Of course, they were playing without Randolph and Kaman and Gordon, so it wasn't really a fair fight. Will the Clippers feel compelled to give a little extra for their leader in this rematch? Just kidding.
Al Thornton. Al was singled out by Sterling in that encounter, and there's no denying that he's had a strong series of games since. He suffered a shoulder injury in there, but other than games where he was slowed by that, he's scored between 19 and 25, shot a career high percentage, and increased his rebounding in the last 8 games. It's a very good sign in his development. And it just so happens that Thornton versus Finley is (theoretically) the Clippers best matchup tonight.
Superstar for one game. Wilson Chandler. He played well against the Clippers in LA scoring 27.

* Movie Quote:

Spoken like a true prodigy. How about you, Lash LaRue? You think you can keep your spurs from jinglin' and janglin'?

The Wolf - Pulp Fiction (1994). Tarantino. You know, I have to say I've been more than a little disappointed in everything else by Tarantino. Pulp Fiction was just so good. Maybe I just didn't get the Kill Bill's - I mean, they were visual and interesting and enjoyable, but Pulp Fiction was just so great.

benefactor
03-27-2009, 01:19 PM
SPURS RESERVES

20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr

Cannot describe how good this looks....

duncan228
03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Cannot describe how good this looks....

Agreed. It was wonderful not seeing Manu in the injured/inactive lists. It seems like it's been there forever.

03-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Easy win :flag::huddle::flag::

timvp
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Hopefully we get to see the Big Three all on the court at the same time :hungry:

Dex
03-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Hopefully we get to see the Big Three all on the court at the same time :hungry:

:wow :wow :wow

duncan228
03-27-2009, 04:52 PM

:elephant

Health and SPAM. It's a good time of year.

Spursmania
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Oh yeah baby, I'll be at the game tonight kicking it with my babe. Can't wait to see the big three together again. It's like a damn reunion. I think I'm going to cry...:cry

:smokin

ElNono
03-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Would be a relief after watching Mason run the PG position for half the game... :depressed
:lol

Spursmania
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Would be a relief after watching Mason run the PG position for half the game... :depressed
:lol

Amen to that.:toast