PDA

View Full Version : For the idiot(s) talking sh*t about TX...

LoneStarState'sPride
03-26-2009, 10:37 PM
.....I'll let this do my talking:

"Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You might get it maybe after a second or two, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you?

Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, "Wow....so you're from Iowa? Cool, tell me about it?" Know why? Because nobody gives a damn about Iowa.

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of liberty. We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes. John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas.

Texas is "Juneteenth" and Texas Independence Day.

Texas is the shiny skyscrapers in Houston and San Antonio and Dallas.

Texas is Mexican food like nowhere else, not even Mexico.

Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Kyle Field, the Alamodome, Texas Stadium, and the Astrodome.

Texas is world-class universities in College Station and Austin.

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq. And LOCKHEED MARTIN AEROSPACE, Home of the F-16 Jet Fighter and the JSF Fighter.

Texas is NASA.

Texas is championship teams like the Cowboys, the Spurs, and the Rockets.

Texas is a place where towns and cities shut down to watch the local High School Football game.

If it isn't in Texas, you probably don't need it.

NO ONE DOES ANYTHING BIGGER OR BETTER THAN IT'S DONE IN TEXAS.

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 ft. in Maryland, California, or Maine and your state flag, whatever the hell it is, goes at 17 ft. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in Longview or anyplace else at 20 ft., the Lone Star flies at the same height - 20 ft. Know why? Because its the only state that was a republic before it became a state.

Being a Texan is as high as being an American down here. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the one in Washington, D.C. and we can divide our state into five states at any time if we wanted to! We included these things as part of the deal WHEN WE CAME ON. That's the best part right there. Every time I think about that I tear up. All this makes you proud to be a Texan."

DO. NOT. MESS. WITH. TEXAS.

50Bestspurever
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
So where you from bro?

LoneStarState'sPride
03-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally San Antonio, but I live in Bryan/College Station now.....going to school at Texas A&M.

Spursfan092120
03-26-2009, 10:45 PM

"Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You might get it maybe after a second or two, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you?

Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, "Wow....so you're from Iowa? Cool, tell me about it?" Know why? Because nobody gives a damn about Iowa.

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of liberty. We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes. John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas.

Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Kyle Field, the Alamodome, Texas Stadium, and the Astrodome.

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq. And LOCKHEED MARTIN AEROSPACE, Home of the F-16 Jet Fighter and the JSF Fighter.

Texas is NASA.

Texas is a place where towns and cities shut down to watch the local High School Football game.

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 ft. in Maryland, California, or Maine and your state flag, whatever the hell it is, goes at 17 ft. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in Longview or anyplace else at 20 ft., the Lone Star flies at the same height - 20 ft. Know why? Because its the only state that was a republic before it became a state.

Being a Texan is as high as being an American down here. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the one in Washington, D.C. and we can divide our state into five states at any time if we wanted to! We included these things as part of the deal WHEN WE CAME ON. That's the best part right there. Every time I think about that I tear up. All this makes you proud to be a Texan."

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m154/crystal_0717/8c_1.jpg?t=1238125484

Solid D
03-26-2009, 10:47 PM
How many other states have an X in the middle of its name?-I-didn't-think-so.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Texas_Longhorn_Steer_Rocksprings_2.jpg/800px-Texas_Longhorn_Steer_Rocksprings_2.jpg

LoneStarState'sPride
03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
You know the weird thing? The part about kids in Japan is absolutely true. Went there in the summer of '07 with the Air Force ROTC program (yes, we were watching the Finals on our lunch breaks, lol), and anytime I told schoolkids I was from Texas, they knew exactly what I was talking about. My fellow cadets from Oregon and North Dakota? Not so lucky.... :)

Xylus
03-26-2009, 10:51 PM
I've lived in Texas and it isn't anything special. Hate to break it to you, son.

Transporter
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Rule #55 never mix Prozac with Lone star beer!

Xylus
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Texas might be the worst state in the union. In fact, maybe the most uninhabitable place on the planet. Bunch of steers and queers, and you don't look like no steer.

LockBeard
03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
ehhhhhhhh Texas isn't really anything like it once was.

Just a dignified degrading state in the current union.

djohn2oo8
03-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Living in Texas, and being FROM Texas are two entirely different things

Xylus
03-26-2009, 10:54 PM

You're right, I'm glad I'm not from Texas.

Blue Jew
03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
.....Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is.

Is that how Houston got Yao Ming?

LoneStarState'sPride
03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Texas might be the worst state in the union. In fact, maybe the most uninhabitable place on the planet. Bunch of steers and queers, and you don't look like no steer.

.......says the poster rooting for a team playing in a freaking desert. Seriously, got anything more original than that? I'm a military brat, and I've lived in quite a few places around the country and world, and while TX isn't perfect (what place on this fallen earth is?), it's more than good enough for me.

(and for the record, I don't drink)

wannabe Moderator
City and State smack is prohibited here at ST!

Spursfan092120
I've lived in Texas and it isn't anything special. Hate to break it to you, son.
Um...sorry man...Texas is really big. Depends on where you lived. I'm proud to be Texan..wouldn't live anywhere else. Maybe you weren't born here..that would matter too.

Solid D
03-26-2009, 10:58 PM

You probably were rejected based on yore nature. There's just some people that tick us off. Rejected like a calf fetus with bad chromosomes that didn't make it, son.

Last Comic Standing
03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
City and State smack is prohibited here at ST!

Dam! I had all this new Katrina material I wanted to showcase. :bang

Spursfan092120
03-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Worst state in the union my ass. Does that make any sense to you? Most uninhabitable place on the planet, but it has the second largest population of any state, and has more people than a lot of countries in this world. Sounds like someone wishes they were born here...aww..it's ok.

french bread
03-26-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10438/InBeforeTheLock.gif

SAhoops
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Dumb thread....

djohn2oo8
03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Just Another Reason Texas is great:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0609/campus.superfans4/images/p1_sterger2.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0711/nba.rockets.dancers/images/03.075840422.jpg

Phenomanul
03-26-2009, 11:21 PM
You had me up to the point where you suggested the Mexican food here in Texas was better than the one in Mexico... I'll drive across the border just for a good meal... Heck, I've flown down to Mexico City just for lunch meetings.

Subjective comment at best.

Aside from that... :tu

Taking it to the Hole
03-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Even so, our queers are still more manly than yours and as for our steers, well don't let them hook you in the ass!:ihit

BlackSwordsMan
03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm glad to be able to wake up every morning and be able to take a shit in Texas and not some other faggy state.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Dumb thread....

Dumber post.

jag
03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
*Notices the absence of BRHornet in state smack talk thread*

pensive
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM

Texas is NASA.

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend! I was born and raised here, and while I made the mistake of moving away for a few years, I redeemed myself by coming back! TEXAS!

Rogue
03-26-2009, 11:42 PM
but you're from somewhere which is 1 million times worse than Texas. even though you have been living in Texas for years and even consider yourself as a native person, you're still an idiot coming from a shitty country which no one wants to show any respect to.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
but you're from somewhere which is 1 million times worse than Texas. even though you have been living in Texas for years and even consider yourself as a native person, you're still an idiot coming from a shitty country which no one wants to show any respect to.

.....so lemme get this straight--America is "1 million times worse" than one of the states in it's union. Hey brain donor, something can't be worse than itself. America isn't perfect, nor is Texas perfect, but you know what? I'm damn proud of my state and my country, and I really don't give a rip what anyone else thinks (kind of like being a Spurs fan, come to think of it). So my advice to those who don't want to respect my country? Go eff yourself, because no one here cares about where you come from either.

mazerrackham
03-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm at A&M too, and I like Texas a lot as well, but I've never lived anywhere else :-D

InK
03-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Dumber post.

Not possible.

NRHector
You're right, I'm glad I'm not from Texas.so are we

braeden0613
odd trolling forum.

and let's keep that a&m stereotype going (yeah I go there too)

Kori Ellis
03-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure who you think was talking bad about Texas, but this is a Club topic not a Spurs topic.

So...

Rogue
03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
.....so lemme get this straight--America is "1 million times worse" than one of the states in it's union. Hey brain donor, something can't be worse than itself. America isn't perfect, nor is Texas perfect, but you know what? I'm damn proud of my state and my country, and I really don't give a rip what anyone else thinks (kind of like being a Spurs fan, come to think of it). So my advice to those who don't want to respect my country? Go eff yourself, because no one here cares about where you come from either.
hahaha, son you misunderstood what i meant. you're fooled if you truely believe djohn is an american. I used the slur "from" to mean the shitty country he was born to but not the country where he is living. I've nothing against those foreigners, some of the foreigners are very respectable and most of the foreigners are not as shitty as djohn2oo8.

IronMexican
03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Never been to Texas. But it reminds me of Fresno.

balli
03-27-2009, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't live there, but I get the appeal. Personally, if I continued to want open space and a healthy streak of self righteousness over where I lived I'd stay in Utah or move to Alaska, but hey, barring Dallas, I have no problem with what I've seen in TX.

My question- who's talking shit about TX? Something go down in the spurs forum? Nobody says shit about TX on this board and gets away with it.

Rogue
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
I guess what that shit means is "I live in Texas which is very bad, but I'm not a native person here." I just want him to shut his fucking mouth up and take a back look at the country he used to live in. Texas is the second best state of US IMHO, the best one is California I think. Maybe my viewpoint is disapproved by some of you guys who think CA is US's second best state which is just next to TX which is the best state, either way, CA and TX both were territories of our beloved Spain several years ago.

CuckingFunt
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Never been to Texas. But it reminds me of Fresno.

If nothing else, I'm sure Texas is prettier than Fresno.

IronMexican
03-27-2009, 12:16 AM
It's the only place I know that has farms, so it came to mind.

IronMexican
03-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Is Texas really as rural as people and the media make it out to be?

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 12:21 AM
It's the only place I know that has farms, so it came to mind.

I've never been to Maine, but it reminds me of California, because they both border the ocean. :rolleyes

IronMexican
03-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Mirror imagies of each other.

balli
03-27-2009, 12:36 AM
Maine reminds me of all the fucked up Stephen King novels I was reading 13 years ago.

Xylus
03-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Sons, I'm just trolling the OP. I lived in Austin and really liked it there. In fact, I plan on going back this summer.

That said, I wouldn't want to live in most areas of Texas. The political makeup of your state doesn't mesh with mine.

Flux451
03-27-2009, 01:13 AM
The mexican nationals were just reclaiming their land the Americans invaded.

I love texas though.

deadratsam
03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Does any other state sell tortilla chips in the shape of that state? Or cutting boards, or stepping stones, various wall hangings, etc.?

Bukefal
03-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Texas is a cool state, compared to others! The image, many europeans have of texas, is that they see the state as a state with dumb, not so intelligent people wearing cowboy hats and talking like bush.

koriwhat
03-27-2009, 06:23 AM

heck yeah! haha...

in san antonio there are areas but very few. you pretty much gotta travel out of the big cities to really see anything rural. i got in trouble down in sierra blanca once and holy shit is that place "rural". nothing but dirt roads, shacks, a jail, and a courthouse. everyone worked at the the jail and courthouse out there in sierra blanca; shittiest town i have ever been in in tx.

austin is alright... san antonio can get boring... and although i loved cali when i visited it, i still don't know if i'd move there. i don't know if i'd move out of tx to be honest with ya. the only place i can see moving to would be mx and there'd have to be some kind of catch there. ah mx would be sweet to live in, especially cuernavaca or even mazatlan.

Bukefal
03-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Does anyone of you Texans, want to see an independent texas? :P If so, what city would be the capital? :king

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
The reason some people don't like Texas is because people who suck don't like Texas.

You know, it's not even about the land, or the stuff we have. Let's face it, California on average is prettier. So is Colorado. But they fail to measure up to Texas. What they lack is that innate intangible Texasness. You can't capture that or bottle it up -- which is good for everyone else, because opening up a can of Texasness would be a thousand times more explosive than opening up a can of whoop-ass.

exstatic
03-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Texas might be the worst state in the union. In fact, maybe the most uninhabitable place on the planet.

If you start one state East, and traverse that one and the next two, you'll find your candidates for worst state in the union. :)

Heath Ledger
03-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Florida = NASA more so than Tezas

Drachen
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM

In the Rural areas it is.

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
My horse is at the vet today so I had to bum a ride to work.

tlongII
03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Just Another Reason Texas is great:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0609/campus.superfans4/images/p1_sterger2.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0711/nba.rockets.dancers/images/03.075840422.jpg

Me likey...

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Florida = NASA more so than Tezas

How do you figure? The rockets may launch from there, but the lions share of the work and planning and mission control are all in Houston.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Does any other state sell tortilla chips in the shape of that state? Or cutting boards, or stepping stones, various wall hangings, etc.?

Or Noodles!! You forgot the noodles!! You can't forget the noodles!

So a lot of this is true. I lived in Germany as an exchange student back in my junior year of high school, and the first month was taken up by an orientation course. While I was there (and remember this was a very small town in the former east), I didn't pay for 1 beer. Think about that for a second, I was 16, just got to Germany where I could drink, and didn't pay for 1 of the many beers that I had while I was there. I was there with 11 other people from various states (including New York, California, etc) and the only person who came close to being able to make that claim was the only guy not from the states, a dude from Austrailia who got about a week's worth of beer before his star faded. That left me, the lone star. It was completely unexpected that everyone was so interested in me and my birthplace.

Later in the year, I was at a party in Berlin (where I lived for the other 11 months), and one of my teachers was there. He was just partying out, and then he stops what he's doing when I showed up and just started asking me all about Texas. It kinda sucked because I wanted to party, not talk to my teacher.

Lastly, I don't know why this is such a common goal over there, but I heard more than once when I introduced myself and people found out where I was from that their dream was to win the German Lotto, then move to Texas and open a gas station and just live off the winnings and keep themselves busy with the gas station. I thought it was strange that this scenario kept popping up, but it's further proof that Texas is revered worldwide.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
How do you figure? The rockets may launch from there, but the lions share of the work and planning and mission control are all in Houston.

The first one of those G-force trainer things (the ones that spin round and round with the astronaut in a capsule on the end) is in San Antonio at Brooks, and we almost got all of NASA.

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 08:24 AM
The first one of those G-force trainer things (the ones that spin round and round with the astronaut in a capsule on the end) is in San Antonio at Brooks, and we almost got all of NASA.

San Antonio is always the bridesmaid :lol

Drachen
03-27-2009, 08:30 AM
San Antonio is always the bridesmaid :lol

First city in Texas to have an airplane, and I believe an airport too. My dad is involved in absolutely everything in San Antonio, and he basically ran this project to do a documentary on San Antonio's place in aviation history for KLRN (he went just to volunteer and they put him in charge of the thing because he knows every one in San Antonio). You should go check it out, its called "Wings over the Alamo." I got to see it at the Aztec theater. Pretty cool.

smeagol
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Too hot . . .

Drachen
03-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Too hot . . .

Then go to north Texas.

Leetonidas
03-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Yeah, Texas really sucks what with our no state-taxes and booming housing economy...

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
First city in Texas to have an airplane, and I believe an airport too. My dad is involved in absolutely everything in San Antonio, and he basically ran this project to do a documentary on San Antonio's place in aviation history for KLRN (he went just to volunteer and they put him in charge of the thing because he knows every one in San Antonio). You should go check it out, its called "Wings over the Alamo." I got to see it at the Aztec theater. Pretty cool.

Wasn't the first movie to win an Academy Award filmed here? "Wings" I think it is.

jack sommerset
03-27-2009, 09:10 AM
There is one problem with all this Texas pride. Half of the state is really Mexico and in another 15-20 years they will have the whole thing. Enjoy the pride for lil bit longer.

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Only white people can be true Texans.

jack sommerset
03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
idiot, how about any legal american that wants to be a texan can be.

samikeyp
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Wasn't the first movie to win an Academy Award filmed here? "Wings" I think it is.

Yes.

As someone who has lived both in Texas and away from Texas...for me its not even close. Texas by a mile.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I just want to know if they have bumper stickers, or t-shirts that proclaim "I wasn't born in Ohio, but I got here as fast as I could"

samikeyp
03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I just want to know if they have bumper stickers, or t-shirts that proclaim "I wasn't born in Ohio, but I got here as fast as I could"

True.

Or if you can go to a chain fast food joint and get their special "Mississippi Burger" :lol

Drachen
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
True.

Or if you can go to a chain fast food joint and get their special "Mississippi Burger" :lol

Come enjoy the Nevada Homestyle Burger!

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 09:46 AM
There is one problem with all this Texas pride. Half of the state is really Mexico and in another 15-20 years they will have the whole thing. Enjoy the pride for lil bit longer.

Well, since the ENTIRE state started out as Mexico, this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, or a problem, to me.

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
When I lived on the East Coast, all I wanted was Texas-themed stuff :lol People couldn't believe how much crap there is in the shape of the state. I personally want one of those waffle irons in the Texas shape.

TwAnKiEs
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
The Spurs had the first Jumbotron! :tu

Drachen
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, since the ENTIRE state started out as Mexico, this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, or a problem, to me.

Hey people of Mexican descent have just as much right to be Texan as people who are white.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
When I lived on the East Coast, all I wanted was Texas-themed stuff :lol People couldn't believe how much crap there is in the shape of the state. I personally want one of those waffle irons in the Texas shape.

My parents have one of those dinner bells (think: one of those triangles where you yell "come and get it"), in the shape of Texas. Awesome.

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey people of Mexican descent have just as much right to be Texan as people who are white.

That was kinda my point. :lol

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Texas is "Juneteenth"

It's also home to Jasper, where they drag black men from a pick-up truck until they die.

That's because the Mexican food in Texas sucks ass.

What, no love for The University Of Texas at San Antonio (a.k.a. UTSA-Austin)?

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Maine reminds me of all the fucked up Stephen King novels I was reading 13 years ago.

I want to go to Bangor, Maine only because of his stories.

I wish Castle Rock was a real city.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
That was kinda my point. :lol

DOH! Sorry, I didn't mean to reply to your post, I meant to reply to sommerset's post. You actually made the same point.

On a side note, my uncle moved to Concord, MA about 15 years ago and he is well known for having big BIG 4th of July parties. Well he wanted to continue the tradition up there, and when he started to go shopping for it . . . . NO BRISKET!! He said he spent a couple hours on the phone calling stores and asking them about it, many didn't even know what it was. Luckily my grandfather was flying up there and he went on base and got a ton of it. Then my uncle let my grandfather cook it (uncle makes it good, grandfather is the freakin KING). Well, my uncle made a lot of friends that July 4th, everyone who came to that party asked him "WHAT IS THIS?", "THIS IS THE BEST BBQ I HAVE TASTED." Essentially everyone was completely blown away by this thing that is completely normal down here. Can you imagine life without Brisket? I mean come on, or even worse, having brisket at someone's july 4th party, and having to wait until the next july 4th party to have it again. I love living here.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Nothing beats Texas BBQ.

Flux451
03-27-2009, 10:14 AM

That sounds so ignorant.

Look up the history.

Americans moving east were actually the illegal immigrants and the mexicans let them in. Then the Americans had this whole "manifest destiny" thing and stole the Mexicans land....pretty much you don't know your own states history.

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Texas is alright. I've now lived in 8 different states and 2 different country's and it ranks higher up on my list then say Ohio, and North Dakota, but far lower then Colorado and Idaho (IMO).

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
And San Antonio sucks ass by the way. It brings down Texas ranking (IMO).

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 10:20 AM
DOH! Sorry, I didn't mean to reply to your post, I meant to reply to sommerset's post. You actually made the same point.

On a side note, my uncle moved to Concord, MA about 15 years ago and he is well known for having big BIG 4th of July parties. Well he wanted to continue the tradition up there, and when he started to go shopping for it . . . . NO BRISKET!! He said he spent a couple hours on the phone calling stores and asking them about it, many didn't even know what it was. Luckily my grandfather was flying up there and he went on base and got a ton of it. Then my uncle let my grandfather cook it (uncle makes it good, grandfather is the freakin KING). Well, my uncle made a lot of friends that July 4th, everyone who came to that party asked him "WHAT IS THIS?", "THIS IS THE BEST BBQ I HAVE TASTED." Essentially everyone was completely blown away by this thing that is completely normal down here. Can you imagine life without Brisket? I mean come on, or even worse, having brisket at someone's july 4th party, and having to wait until the next july 4th party to have it again. I love living here.

I used to live in Virginia, and at this bbq join I ordered a bbq sandwich. I guess I expected brisket and sauce, but what I got was dry pork with a vinegar-based sauce. It tasted pretty good, but it was craziness to me for bbq sauces to be either vinegar or mustard-based. They had never heard of brisket, or ranch-style beans for that matter.

Flux451
03-27-2009, 10:20 AM
And San Antonio sucks ass by the way. It brings down Texas ranking (IMO).

really? have you ever been there...if so why does it suck glutes?

Drachen
03-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Texas is alright. I've now lived in 8 different states and 2 different country's and it ranks higher up on my list then say Ohio, and North Dakota, but far lower then Colorado and Idaho (IMO).

CO is practically Texas. It is Texas historically, and plenty of Texans live there.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I used to live in Virginia, and at this bbq join I ordered a bbq sandwich. I guess I expected brisket and sauce, but what I got was dry pork with a vinegar-based sauce. It tasted pretty good, but it was craziness to me for bbq sauces to be either vinegar or mustard-based. They had never heard of brisket, or ranch-style beans for that matter.

No ranch style beans? Wow, that just seems crazy to me. There are maybe 6 states in the union that actually BBQ, all of the rest only participate in grilling. Each one does it a little differently and each one has its strengths. That being said, I love brisket and BBQ sauce (tangy, not sweet), so I am glad I am from this 1 of the 6.

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
really? have you ever been there...if so why does it suck glutes?

I live between SA and Austin. I avoid SA like the plague because of what a dirty, worn down, shitty city it is.

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
CO is practically Texas. It is Texas historically, and plenty of Texans live there.

Plenty of Texans live everywhere. Coloradoans vehemently hate Texans, trust me, I lived there for 9 years. Colorado has virtually nothing in common with Texas other then the fact that they also have a stock show.

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 10:27 AM
I live between SA and Austin. I avoid SA like the plague because of what a dirty, worn down, shitty city it is.

And we appreciate it! :toast

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 10:31 AM
And we appreciate it! :toast

That's another awesome part of SA. The locals are all "old-fashioned" folk that help to try and drive away big business when the businesses were all about SA because of how cheap everything is there.

SA natives hate progress with a passion.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Plenty of Texans live everywhere. Coloradoans vehemently hate Texans, trust me, I lived there for 9 years. Colorado has virtually nothing in common with Texas other then the fact that they also have a stock show.

Yeah, that is actually one of the main reasons why CO's hate Texans, because there are so many Texans there (Largest out of state pop in CO is from TX). What they seem to forget is that they are Texans as well. Classic case of self-loathing.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 10:33 AM
That's another awesome part of SA. The locals are all "old-fashioned" folk that help to try and drive away big business when the businesses were all about SA because of how cheap everything is there.

Like what, PGA? That is the only example I can think of. I mean we redeveloped Kelly in about a year. It was that quick. We just got one of the most coveted new car plants. Really, other than PGA, what examples?

Melmart1
03-27-2009, 10:36 AM

I actually agree with you on this to an extent. But I hardly think driving you out of town is getting in the way of progress. :lol

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah, that is actually one of the main reasons why CO's hate Texans, because there are so many Texans there (Largest out of state pop in CO is from TX). What they seem to forget is that they are Texans as well. Classic case of self-loathing.

No, what they hate is when they go skiing in the winter and some jackass Texan in a full on Spandex snow suit comes flying down a run and either hurts himself, or others. It happens every hour in Colorado.

smeagol
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
NY baby!

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 11:05 AM
That sounds so ignorant.

Look up the history.

Americans moving east were actually the illegal immigrants and the mexicans let them in. Then the Americans had this whole "manifest destiny" thing and stole the Mexicans land....pretty much you don't know your own states history.
It's not as simple as you make it either.

Texas was controlled by the Comanches and Apaches. Spain and then Mexico claimed it, but only had limited success settling it. Mexican Texas was mostly just lines on a map. Mexicans had little interest in venturing north into unfamiliar semi-arid lands populated by tribes keen on killing them.

The Mexican government expanded the empresario program to include American Anglos, thinking that they would establish sufficient control of the land to fend off the native tribes and allow for widespread settlement by Mexicans. It had its eyes open to American ambitions on the land, and took the risk anyway.

Mexico hoped that over time the settlers would assimilate to Mexican ways, but it never happened. The settlers assumed that the way things were done in America were the way things were done everywhere, and got bent out of shape when Mexico enforced Mexican law. Ethnic Mexicans never settled in any large numbers. San Antonio in the 1830's was an island of Hispanics in a sea of Anglos.

There absolutely were Texians eager to break off from Mexico and join the U.S. The U.S. had its agents in Texas to rouse up sentiment in that direction. It offered multiple times to buy Texas from Mexico. Little independence movements flared up here and there, but none got very far, because the settlers, for all their grousing, never cared enough to organize and unite.

When Santa Anna came to power, he saw various provinces, both south and north, only loosely adhering to authority from Mexico City, and he decided to crack down and centralize power. This may have been feasible for someplace like Sinaloa, but for a northern frontierland like Texas where his control was only tenuous at best in the first place, it was a disastrous idea, and he sent the province straight into American hands.

The number of Hispanics who can claim Texas as any kind of ethnic homeland from pre-1836 days numbers in the tens of thousands at best. For all other Hispanics who hold bitterness about Anglo 'theft,' they are clinging to nationalist myth.

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
You are very much a Coloradoan.

Flux451
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
No, what they hate is when they go skiing in the winter and some jackass Texan in a full on Spandex snow suit comes flying down a run and either hurts himself, or others. It happens every hour in Colorado.

That's an awesome example!

Let me change things around to reiterate your ignorance.

No, what they hate is when they go swimming in the summer and some jackass Coloridian in a birthday suit comes flying down a waterslide and either hurts himself, or others. It happens every hour in Texas.

lefty
03-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Of course not

Texas = Fatso state

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
:lol

Not so fast, my friend.

The Republic of Texas claimed part of modern Colorado, but never came even remotely close to controlling it. The southern border of the Mexican province of Texas was the Nueces River, and the western border was roughly a line from the eastern edge of the Panhandle down through the Hill Country to the headwaters of the Nueces.

The Republic of Texas claimed that the Rio Grande was the southern border, and then made the absurd claim that it was also the western border, thereby claiming parts of the Mexican provinces of Tamaulipas*, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Nueva Mexico, and even a sliver of Alta California! The "Compromise" of 1850 resulted in an enormous expansion of Texan territory.

*If you ever wonder why Tamaulipas has that weird finger of land along the Rio Bravo, it's because originally all of South Texas south of the Nueces was part of Tamaulipas.

NFO
03-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Texas is NASA.

You don't get out much do you?

Glad to see you have pride in your state, but other states have good corporations, nice sky scrapers, world class universities. Not just Texas towns shut down for high school football (hate to break that to you).

Drachen
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM

Not so fast, my friend.

The Republic of Texas claimed part of modern Colorado, but never came even remotely close to controlling it. The southern border of the Mexican province of Texas was the Nueces River, and the western border was roughly a line from the eastern edge of the Panhandle down through the Hill Country to the headwaters of the Nueces.

The Republic of Texas claimed that the Rio Grande was the southern border, and then made the absurd claim that it was also the western border, thereby claiming parts of the Mexican provinces of Tamaulipas*, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Nueva Mexico, and even a sliver of Alta California! The "Compromise" of 1850 resulted in an enormous expansion of Texan territory.

*If you ever wonder why Tamaulipas has that weird finger of land along the Rio Bravo, it's because originally all of South Texas south of the Nueces was part of Tamaulipas.

OK, OK, I will grant you that it was disputed territory.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
It would be great if we had all that land. A quick google search shows that we would be the only state with a border on with both mexico and canada. :)

Drachen
03-27-2009, 11:30 AM
You don't get out much do you?

Glad to see you have pride in your state, but other states have good corporations, nice sky scrapers, world class universities. Not just Texas towns shut down for high school football (hate to break that to you).

This is just 8th grade TX history. I think the point is that you have all of that and the farmlands, and forests and . . . and . . . and, all in one state.

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM
OK, OK, I will grant you that it was disputed territory.

The "dispute" was lines on a map on both sides. The European mentality was to disregard native tribes as uncivilized, so that their ancestral claims to the land could be disregarded. Mexico and the U.S. both maintained the European mentality.

ehz33satx
03-27-2009, 11:43 AM

20 million tourists a year beg to differ.

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 11:48 AM
This is just 8th grade TX history. I think the point is that you have all of that and the farmlands, and forests and . . . and . . . and, all in one state.
Cailfornia has thicker forests, higher mountains, deeper valleys, drier deserts, famously fertile farmland, better beaches, bigger cities, more highly renowned universities, what have you, but it still isn't Texas. In the case of California, it's because most of the people basically suck. Texas has an ethereal awesomeness that can't really be summed up in words. It's why around the world Texas conjures up an image that California does not.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Cailfornia has thicker forests, higher mountains, deeper valleys, drier deserts, famously fertile farmland, better beaches, bigger cities, more highly renowned universities, what have you, but it still isn't Texas. In the case of California, it's because most of the people basically suck. Texas has an ethereal awesomeness that can't really be summed up in words. It's why around the world Texas conjures up an image that California does not.

I do agree with that. Unless you experience it, I think it is a little hard to explain.

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
It would be great if we had all that land. A quick google search shows that we would be the only state with a border on with both mexico and canada. :)
??? Only if the Canadian border were moved south to Wyoming.

Drachen
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
??? Only if the Canadian border were moved south to Wyoming.

Misread the map. A little difficult when you aren't used to seeing it like that. I was looking at the top of that pink part forming the border, but it is very obviously further north now that I look closer. I have to ask though, this map makes the claimed area of Texas a little bigger than most maps at that time, right? or is it just the effect of looking at an unfamiliar map??

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/texas/pictures/texas-map-1846-1500.jpg

FromWayDowntown
03-27-2009, 12:08 PM
The most awesomest university in Texas is in neither Austin nor College Station.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-27-2009, 12:34 PM
The most awesomest university in Texas is in neither Austin nor College Station.

Amen to that

http://x2d.xanga.com/223c7a5521d35179390831/z136968693.jpg

dirk4mvp
03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Nothing beats Texas BBQ.

sorry, but Memphis bbq owns tx bbq.

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 12:49 PM

That's just crazy talk.

lebomb
03-27-2009, 12:52 PM

I have family in both places............ I would say Memphis has better hog BBQ, and Texas better beef BBQ. Memphis has ribs to :hang for.

dirk4mvp
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
That's just crazy talk.

Of course, I'm just guessing we're bias from the areas we're from.

IronMexican
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't like BBQ that much. The best food ever is ceviche.

Frenzy
03-27-2009, 01:15 PM
alot of people up north got a prob with teXas.Dunno why... oh well,not like i care haha.

AlamoSpursFan
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
22Mrez7ahZA&hl=en&fs=1"

[/thread]

AlamoSpursFan
03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
G5p7sstKZ-0&hl=en&fs=1"

peewee's lovechild
03-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Of course, I'm just guessing we're bias from the areas we're from.

I think lebomb is right.

When it comes to Hog BBQ, everyone seems to love the Memphis style, though there are those from Carolina who will fight you abou it, but Texas reigns supreme when it comes to Beef BBQ.

And, since I'm allergic to pork, I'll stick to Texas BBQ.

E20
03-27-2009, 01:51 PM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/johngrandpa_/sandy-cheeks-1.jpg

DarkReign
03-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Does ES's Texasness mean inferiority complex?

Jeez, I havent even heard about this level of self-love. Well, unless you want to use a transsexual reference, but I wont.

Texas is cool. It may even be "cooler" than where someone else is from. We get it.

Now...get over it. Some people the country over do not like big belt buckles, southern accents and 6th grade dropouts with firearms that dont require a permit to carry.

...just sort of....check yourselves. Youre no better than anywhere else, just different in your own southern-fried, hillbilly way.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Can't believe this thread has got five pages without this showing up.
apMyjOAacyA

Extra Stout
03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Does ES's Texasness mean inferiority complex?

Jeez, I havent even heard about this level of self-love. Well, unless you want to use a transsexual reference, but I wont.

Texas is cool. It may even be "cooler" than where someone else is from. We get it.

Now...get over it. Some people the country over do not like big belt buckles, southern accents and 6th grade dropouts with firearms that dont require a permit to carry.

...just sort of....check yourselves. Youre no better than anywhere else, just different in your own southern-fried, hillbilly way.
"Texas" conjures up images of infinite possibilites, of forging your own way, of a world wild and unpredictable, of expansive blue skies, of opportunity.

"Michigan" conjures up images of a post-industrial hellhole with homeless people who lost their auto-industry jobs huddled around a burning trash can inside the ruins of a warehouse to keep from freezing to death.

That's the difference.

FromWayDowntown
03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
apMyjOAacyA

I had really hoped to keep those photos of me out of circulation.

F'n internets.

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I had really hoped to keep those photos of me out of circulation.

F'n internets.

Wait til you see the video I made with the shots of you at the Def Leppard concert.

Many PackYao
03-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Texas has every geographic landscape you can think of plus one California does not and that is swamplands.

IronMexican
03-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Why would you even want swamplands?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
"Michigan" conjures up images of a post-industrial hellhole with homeless people who lost their auto-industry jobs huddled around a burning trash can inside the ruins of a warehouse to keep from freezing to death.

We're just ahead of the curve.

lefty
03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/news/090323/03_23_09.jpg

MannyIsGod
03-27-2009, 03:16 PM

:depressed

We're just ahead of the curve.

FromWayDowntown
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Wait til you see the video I made with the shots of you at the Def Leppard concert.

Sigh. I guess this kind of thing is inevitable.

Please just be sure to make clear to all that it was a Def Leppard concert in Mother F'ing TEXAS!

MannyIsGod
03-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I absolutely love West Texas. I really enjoy the desolation of it and the wide open spaces. Visiting the parks like Big Bend, Davis Mtns, and Guadalupe Mtns are some of my favorite memories.

I've not been to many states out east, but Driving through Ohio and PA made me think I would probably never want to live in either state. Maryland and West Virginia were a bit better but both seemed almost left behind. I guess you could say some of the same about West Texas but its different.

I really think I may just enjoy the West in general though. I really liked New Mexico and California. I have yet to spend any appreciable time in Colorado or Arizona but that should change this summer.

Many PackYao
03-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Texas has every geographic landscape you can think of plus one California does not and that is swamplands.
Well, Houston was basically built on swampland. I'm just trying to point out the different landscapes in the state.

Frenzy
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
apMyjOAacyA

yankee wussies! :lol

jack sommerset
03-27-2009, 04:03 PM
That sounds so ignorant.

Look up the history.

HAHAHAHAHA. Lets just give the land back to the Indians and all blacks and whites go back across the ocean! Or better yet lets just open up the borders and let every motherfucker in. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with either. You are a sooooo ignorant if you don't see the problem illegal immigrants brings to the country.

mookie2001
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Look up the history

ROFLROFL!

what a fucking dumbshit

mookie2001
03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
let me google texas history real quick

jack sommerset
03-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Seriously. I am all for given Mexicans Texas. I'll move up north of the new border. Lets just make sure they don't cross the new one illegally.

Crookshanks
03-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I grew up in Michigan and have lived in Tennesee, Ohio, Mississippi and now Texas. I never really understood the "Texas" thing until I'd lived here for awhile. Now I understand when people say I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.

There is an article in (I think) this month's issue of Texas Monthly that talks about the uniqueness of Texas and Texans. It's a great article - and even talks about the differences between the movers and shakers of Houston compared to Dallas.

I drove from San Antonio to Lubbock and was amazed at all the different landscapes. And is there anything more breathtaking than the Hill Country with all the bluebonnets in bloom?

Native Texans are Texans First and Americans second!

clambake
03-27-2009, 04:16 PM
hmmm, an article in Texas Monthly that speaks favorably about texas.

what are the odds?

Crookshanks
03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
hmmm, an article in Texas Monthly that speaks favorably about texas.

what are the odds?

Well - speaking of that - how many other states have their own unique monthly magazine? Is there an Iowa Monthly, a Michigan Monthly, or even a California Monthly? Just wonderin...

And it wasn't that the article was a favorable opinion of Texans - it was about that "certain something" that sets Texans apart. It's something that can't always be described, but you know it when you see it. For example, the author said "LBJ had it as a Senator, but not as President."

johnsmith
03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
It's something that can't always be described, but you know it when you see it.

Yes, it is indeed rather simple to take note of the extra 75 pounds on the native folk.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2009, 05:42 PM
HAHAHAHAHA. Lets just give the land back to the Indians and all blacks and whites go back across the ocean! Or better yet lets just open up the borders and let every motherfucker in. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with either. You are a sooooo ignorant if you don't see the problem illegal immigrants brings to the country.

Cheap labor goods and services all represent huge problems.

clambake
03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes, it is indeed rather simple to take note of the extra 75 pounds on the native folk.

:lol now thats just funny.

JS is on a roll. in the "what would you do if your son was gay thread", he said "i'd shoot the mother". :lmao

Blake
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is.

Pick any kid off the street in Cambodia and draw him a picture of Colorado in the dirt and he'll know what it is.........a cracker.

funny you say that, but yeah, that happened to me when I ran into some hawkeye fans back in 2002(?) when TT played Iowa in the Alamobowl.

I asked them who grew more corn and messed around with more sheep......them, Nebraska or College Station.

We also send our kids to schools named Robert E Lee..... just sayin....

I've lived in San Antonio a long time and never knew we had shiny skyscrapers. I thought all we had was the restaurant on a giant stick....

learn something new.....

Olive Garden serves Italian food like nowhere else, not even Italy.