PDA

View Full Version : Excel help

Clandestino
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
I need to create a spreadsheet to rank scores of contest I'll be judging. A simple excel sheet that ranks the teams as I input the scores would be a great time saver.

Can anyone help? I will have about 20 judges ranking about 100 items on a scale from 1-10. 10 being the best.

jcrod
03-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Just list the teams accross the top row and then the catagories on the left column.

Click under the under the last row of each team name under the last catagory and click auto sum from the tool bar. Then click and highlight the rows underneath each name all the way down to the last catagory. hit enter. Do this for each team, hope that makes sense.

RandomGuy
03-27-2009, 01:59 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Greek_uc_sigma.svg/96px-Greek_uc_sigma.svg.png

By the way: The above symbol, sigma, is the "sum" symbol that excel uses, and is a commonly used symbol to denote "sum of" in mathmatics.

You can either left click the first cell/square, hold that down, move the mouse down the screen to a point/cell where you want to show the sum of the scores, then stop scrolling, and click on that symbol. It will do an "autosum" of all the squares you selected, in the very last cell.

Alternately:
Where the "A" column is the categories, and the top "1" row is the name of the team.

The first place you will have a score will be in the B2 square. The last number you will want to add will be in the B101 square.

Go to the B102 or B103 square and put the following text in:

=sum(B2:B101)

After you do that then "copy and paste" that square across all the other relevant squares in that row (row 102 or 103)

The above text is essentially what the autosum feature does, but is the actual "coding" for it.

The "equals" sign tells the program that you are putting in a formula, the "sum" tells it what formula, and the stuff in the paranthesis tells it what to add up, in this case it adds up all of the squares between and including B2 and B101

Hope either of these helps.