PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Duncan Says Parker An MVP Candidate

duncan228
03-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Duncan says Parker an MVP candidate (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_says_Parker_an_MVP_candidate.html)
Mike Monroe

Being a two-time winner of the NBA's most coveted individual award gives Spurs captain Tim Duncan a certain gravitas when it comes to evaluating the closest Most Valuable Player race in recent memory.

Who does Duncan like in this season's race to the finish for MVP?

“I'm staying as far away from that question as I possibly can,” Duncan said as he walked toward the bus that would take the Spurs to their charter flight out of Atlanta after one of their best road victories since the All-Star break.

Choosing among the Lakers' Kobe Bryant, Cleveland's LeBron James and Miami's Dwyane Wade is fraught with peril for any expert, even one with Duncan's credentials.

There is one bit of advice for NBA voters Duncan has no fear of asserting: His teammate, Tony Parker, deserves consideration for a place at the end of every ballot, on which voters are required to list their choices in order, one through five.

“Absolutely,” Duncan said. “Of course, I'm biased, obviously. But with the position that we're in, second in the West, right in the mix, and with the amount of injuries we've dealt with all year, he's kept this team consistent, and he's been the consistent one all year long. He should definitely have an opportunity to be in that top five.”

Parker and the Spurs will be back on the campaign trail tonight, playing the Los Angeles Clippers at the AT&T Center.

Parker has presented a case to voters this season that transcends the need for Duncan to play campaign manager. His 42-point outburst in the Spurs' 102-92 victory over the Hawks at Philips Arena on Wednesday night was his 11th of the season of 30 or more. He is scoring at a career-high clip of 21.9 points. His 20 assists in the Spurs' last two games pushed his season average to 7.0, which puts him on pace for a career high in that key category, too.

The 6-foot-1 point guard is proving his game need not be either-or when it comes to scoring and distributing. Tuesday's and Wednesday's points-assists double-doubles continued a season-long trend: When Parker has at least 10 assists, his scoring also takes a leap.

In the 13 games this season in which Parker has had double-figure assists, his scoring average is 27.3. In the other 44 games he has played, his scoring average is 20.5.

“I didn't know that,” Parker said after his Wednesday night opus in Atlanta. “I think it just means that Pop is doing a great job of calling a bunch of plays for me when Timmy and Manu are out. It's easier for me to get some assists and scoring opportunities with Timmy and Manu out.”

The very fact Parker has carried the burden of keeping the Spurs' offense efficient in the absence of his fellow members of the Spurs' “Big Three” is what Duncan believes makes him worthy of some votes when MVP selectors get past the MVP Big Three of Bryant, James and Wade.

“He's been unbelievable,” Duncan said. “He's been this way for the last 15 games. He's been scoring the ball and making the right decisions. When he's making the right passes, it confuses everybody out there. It confuses every defense possible. You want to go help, and he finds people. You want to not help, and then he's scoring his jumper.

“The way he's going right now, he's a monster.”

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili, who played Wednesday for the first time since Feb. 11, said the monster game was on a short list of the best he ever had seen from Parker, including his career-high scoring night in Minnesota earlier this season, when he pumped in 55 points in a double-overtime win.

Parker also had 42 in regulation in that game, then added 13 in the extra sessions.

“It's probably one of the best games I've ever seen him play, because he was unstoppable, but at the same time he was really good finding people,” Ginobili said. “There was a stretch where he found Roger (Mason), Fin (Michael Finley) and Matt (Bonner), all in a row. They didn't know what to do. He was impressive.”

ducks
03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
In the 13 games this season in which Parker has had double-figure assists, his scoring average is 27.3. In the other 44 games he has played, his scoring average is 20.5.

Gervin44Silas13
03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Most Valuable Spur :ihit

JWest596
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
He is most worthy of consideration on the ballot at the very least after his contributions and efforts during all the team injuries this season. Above and beyond

To exclude him would be the biggest travesty. Tim nailed it.

2Cleva
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Parker isn't even the 2nd most valuable Spur.

anakha
03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Parker isn't even the 2nd most valuable Spur.

Over the past few years? Maybe.

This season? Given Manu's physical condition, only an idiot would argue that Parker hasn't at least been the second most valuable player on the team.

2Cleva
03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Parker has no doubt carried the load while Ginobili was out. Just as LO has while Bynum is out.

But come playoff time - whats more likely going to get SA where they need to go? Parker playing well or Ginboili? We already saw the answer to that last year and I see nothing that says this year will be any different.

And if he's not one of the top 2 most critical come winning time, than he ain't close to the team's MVP.

Lady M
03-28-2009, 09:40 AM
we need Manu playing well because we knew Tony will

exstatic
03-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Manu has no doubt carried the load while Ginobili was out. Just as LO has while Bynum is out.

But come playoff time - whats more likely going to get SA where they need to go? Parker playing well or Ginboili? We already saw the answer to that last year and I see nothing that says this year will be any different.

And if he's not one of the top 2 most critical come winning time, than he ain't close to the team's MVP.

Since Tim is propping him for a place on the regular season MVP ballot for 2008-2009, your argument about playoff worth is, well, worthless.

jmard5
03-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Manu has no doubt carried the load while Ginobili was out. Just as LO has while Bynum is out.

Care to fix that one up? :toast

2Cleva
03-28-2009, 10:36 AM
If someone of the Big 3 is out with injury in a must-win game, who do you want to sit?

For LA, its clearly Bynum. For SA I'm betting its Parker.

Rogue
03-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Of course Tony Longoria deserves to be a candidate, but the title is gonna go to either Wade or James this season, though neither of them has a bigger chance to win a ring than Tony Longoria does this season.

anakha
03-28-2009, 10:49 AM
If someone of the Big 3 is out with injury in a must-win game, who do you want to sit?

Given the Spurs' depth chart at PG and at the swingman positions, I'd say you're wrong.

sonic21
03-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Parker has no doubt carried the load while Ginobili was out. Just as LO has while Bynum is out.

actually, the last 2 postseasons, tony had been better than manu (who wasn't playing to his true level), he carried the spurs in game 7 against NO when tim and manu couldn't score.

exstatic
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM

Two, three years ago, you might have had a case, but Parker's the one in his prime, not Manu or Tim.

bigfan
03-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Have to add here Im just a little upset with Pops comments about Tony being one tier lower than Kobe/LBJ/Wade in his wine comparo statement. One of the few times I think Pop is talking out his ass and should back his own guy instead.

kace
03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Two, three years ago, you might have had a case, but Parker's the one in his prime, not Manu or Tim.

three years ago, and before, it wasn't even close. Tony was the weaker of the three in the PO. without a doubt. now, and since 2007, it's really different. he's in his prime and he's our main offensive weapon.

Have to add here Im just a little upset with Pops comments about Tony being one tier lower than Kobe/LBJ/Wade in his wine comparo statement. One of the few times I think Pop is talking out his ass and should back his own guy instead.

what comment ? link ?

anyway, even if it's true that TP isn't in the KB/LBJ/Wade class, i understand your point. i rather agree.

but if Pop was answering to a straight question ("do you think TP is now at the KB/LBJ/Wade level ?), i can't see how he could have answered yes without looking like a homer and a fool. honestly.

duncan228
03-28-2009, 12:33 PM

what comment ? link ?

Like fine wine: Popovich found a unique manner of categorizing Tony Parker's status among this season's candidates for NBA MVP.

Recognizing Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, Cleveland forward LeBron James and Miami guard Dwyane Wade as the clear leaders in the MVP race, Popovich said Parker belongs in the next category of candidates, much like some of the very good red wines that didn't quite make the highest rank in the very first ranking of wines, ordered in 1855 by French Emperor Napoleon III.

“If it was the 1855 classification of Bordeaux,” said Popovich, a wine connoisseur, “he'd be in the second classification.”

Two-time MVP Tim Duncan said on record Wednesday that Parker deserves consideration by voters.

“(Tony) can definitely be in the conversation, for what he's meant to the team this season,” Popovich said. “But those three guys are the guys. Make no mistake about that.”

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120939

coldsweat
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
tony is definitely the most valuable spur this season, and he has carried the team through duncan's and manu's struggles with injuries. so yes he should be mentioned in the mvp conversation, but i don't necessarily think he deserves to win it. firstly, in terms of defensive presence, lebron and wade are definitely more imposing figures (for example, look at wade's block numbers this season). secondly, the team could survive tony's absence, whereas the lakers, cavs, and heat would be lottery teams for sure without their respective mvp candidates. the spurs could still be a 5-8 seeded team with duncan and ginobilli. the spurs definitely need tony to win a championship, and i love the way the dude is playing this year, fearless - but mvp, ehh...

kace
03-28-2009, 12:39 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120939

thanks

i think it was a straight question. so, once again, i guess there's no one who really think Tony deserves it more than LBJ, KB or Wade right now.

but he should get some votes in as the fifth rank of some votes.

kace
03-28-2009, 12:52 PM
“I think it just means that Pop is doing a great job of calling a bunch of plays for me when Timmy and Manu are out. It's easier for me to get some assists and scoring opportunities with Timmy and Manu out.”

very true. and it's true for every star player who is sharing the ball with others stars, including Tim and Manu.

who is the next star after CP3, LBJ or Wade in their team ? I've got no doubt that TP could average 25 ppg and 8 ass if he was the main man. maybe more.

Manu and Tim at their best could be bad too if they had more the ball.

Tim has done this so many times (2 MVP attesting that).

And Manu was at this level for a long strech last RS. though, health would be an issue for Manu if he was the main man for all the year playing 35 minutes per game. but he has the level to do that in him too.

The spurs share the ball and that make the three stars stats less impressive. but we're a better team this way, and that's all that matters.

sook
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
deff but I'd rather see him get the finals MVP...again

Kori Ellis
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
deff but I'd rather see him get the finals MVP...again

Why would a Rockets fan want Tony to be Finals MVP?

exstatic
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM

Troll exposure?

sook
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM

What are the chances of the rockets winning the championship? Exactly.

Lakers? No thanks don't like them too much

Jazz? No thanks don't like them either.

So obviously i have to want one team to win a championship :rolleyes

Bruno
03-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Parker has had a great season but not a MVP season.

The award he will fight for is all NBA team.
Guards for the 1st team will be Wade and Bryant. Paul should get a spot on the 2nd team.
A spot on the 2nd team and two on the 3rd team are up in the air and Tony will be a strong candidate to get one of these spots.

exstatic
03-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Parker has had a great season but not a MVP season.

The award he will fight for is all NBA team.
Guards for the 1st team will be Wade and Bryant. Paul should get a spot on the 2nd team.
A spot on the 2nd team and two on the 3rd team are up in the air and Tony will be a strong candidate to get one of these spots.

I don't think anyone, Tim included, is saying he should win, just that maybe he should be on some ballots one of the 5 slots. I think he has an excellent chance to make one of the 3 All NBA teams this year. Billups dropped off last year, and TMac, Manu, and Nash likely will drop off this year.

Kori Ellis
03-28-2009, 02:53 PM
What are the chances of the rockets winning the championship? Exactly.

Lakers? No thanks don't like them too much

Jazz? No thanks don't like them either.

So obviously i have to want one team to win a championship :rolleyes

Looks like 20 to 1, according to Vegas ;)

timvp
03-28-2009, 03:08 PM
The aspect of Parker's season that I'm most excited about is the way he's taking care of the ball. Everyone knows his points and assists are up but what's impressive to me is that his turnover ratio and turnover percentage are both by far career-best marks. To simultaneously take on more of the scoring and passing load while turning it over less than ever shows real growth as a point guard.

I'd argue that the aspect that has kept the Spurs afloat despite the injuries is that they have by far the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the league. In fact, a couple weeks ago they were leading the league in both highest assist rate and lowest turnover rate - something I've never seen before. Right now, they are second in both categories. For all the lineup shuffling, the offense has been extremely efficient.

sook
03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Looks like 20 to 1, according to Vegas ;)

Haha :lol:toast