PDA

View Full Version : Pop...Genius???

gospursgojas
03-15-2005, 05:47 AM
It's no coincidence that Tim, Tony, and Manu all have suddenly been bitten by the injury bug. Pop is showing again how he and the Spurs really by into that stonecutter theory. If you think back to the summer of 2003: the spurs in the finals in june. And to 2004's summer, Tim and Manu dueling it out in the Olympic games. Those guys have had not more that a few weeks rest. Pop knows that Tim is drained and he has shown it all season long, numbers down, and minutes down. And with the way Ginobili plays he has to run out of gas sometime, along with Tony Parker. So, rather than to have his 3 big-time players' tank runout during the playoffs, he is letting them rest up and refuel for the time when every game counts. Playoff time. The Spurs know they will make the playoffs and will probally have home-court throught out with maybe the exception of Phoenix. So armed with that stonecutter mentality, the best and one of the most exciting players in the NBA, and with a bench that could probally make a low seed in the East's playoff rankings, the Spurs rest up their superstars for that blow when they finaly break that stone, knowing that it was not actually that blow, but the hundreds of blows before it.

Look for huge contributions from a rested Tim, Tony, and Manu come playoff time.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2005, 05:54 AM
??

Are you saying that you don't think they're really injured?

You think if they were healthy Pop wouldn't be playing them?

(Welcome, BTW.)

gospursgojas
03-15-2005, 05:57 AM
Nah...they probally have some of those nagging injuries that they could probally play through. But fatigue maybe an even bigger problem later.

gospursgojas
03-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Ohh... thanks for the welcome BTW

rr2418
03-15-2005, 09:16 AM
You're right gosspurs! Remember the Rockets in the early to middle 90's? They rested some players, esp. Akeem! I think it's a very smart move. In fact, when Tony and Manu come back, Pop still should play them less and give the other guys playing time, esp. if the Spurs are ahead by alot.

sa_butta
03-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I dont think this is a smart move right now especially since we need to secure the best record to get home court throughout the playoffs. Why rest when Phoenix is on our ass.

travis2
03-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I dont think this is a smart move right now especially since we need to secure the best record to get home court throughout the playoffs. Why rest when Phoenix is on our ass.

The best record and HCA throughout the playoffs is the most important thing in the world.

Sincerely,

The '94-'95 Spurs

sa_butta
03-15-2005, 10:13 AM
The best record and HCA throughout the playoffs is the most important thing in the world.

Sincerely,

The '94-'95 Spurs
no but since we have the most wins at home than any team in the league it helps a little. I wouldnt want to start the Western Conference Finals or even the Finals for that matter on someone elses floor.

travis2
03-15-2005, 10:27 AM
The point is that if you run your stars into the ground getting HCA, it won't do you any good because they won't play up to their capabilities in the playoffs.

sa_butta
03-15-2005, 10:33 AM
The point is that if you run your stars into the ground getting HCA, it won't do you any good because they won't play up to their capabilities in the playoffs.Playing their regular minutes is not running them into the ground. Now granted if we have a big lead in a game then rest them, but every game is important and these guys are conditioned to play like this. I realize the fatigue factor, but still their roles are more important at this point in the season. Especially in order to get into a good flow going in to the playoffs. There is such a thing as getting too much rest and falling out of rythym.

travis2
03-15-2005, 10:35 AM
We're not 5 games away from the playoffs. We're 15-20. Plenty of time.

sa_butta
03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
We're not 5 games away from the playoffs. We're 15-20. Plenty of time.
True but I still think every game counts when the playoff race is this close.
I would not want to be 5 games away and 2-3 games behind in the playoff race.

travis2
03-15-2005, 10:42 AM
Have faith. This is necessary. The injuries are real, they need time to heal.

sa_butta
03-15-2005, 10:48 AM
This is just suggesting if what gospurs was saying was true. But if the injuries are real and I do beleive they are then by all mean rest em up and let em heal. My thoughts were mostly hypathetical based on the thread starter.

T Park
03-15-2005, 10:52 AM
The injuries are real, but the injuries they could play through.

Yes, you rest your players if they are tired, WTF.

Ishta
03-15-2005, 10:53 AM

LET THEM REST NOW. As the last poster said.... I would much rather have a healthy Tim, Tony, and Manu during playoffs, rather than loosing them for the rest of the season. The team looks good after last nights blowout, and that game was needed to get some key players confidence back. So, while they are holding down the fort so to speak, it is best if our main players get their bodies ready for the back stretch. They need to stay as healthy as possible while we make our run. Extra minutes and more playing time for our bench will only strengthen us in the long run. So as I see it, it is a win win situation. They get rest. Rest of team gets pivotal playing time, more experience, more confidence, which they need.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM

Sincerely,

The '94-'95 Spurs
Yes, it is.

Sincerely,

the '98-'99 and '02-'03 Spurs

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I don't know why you want players to play through these injuries. And yes, they are injured. Duncan had ankle injury and he played against the Nets. His ankle swelled back up so Pop held him out the next game. Would you want him play and injure his ankle more and then miss the playoffs?

Tony was kneed in the thigh and couldn't walk on Sunday. So they gave him one day to recover from them that. Did you want him to play, be ineffective, and lose to New Orleans?

Manu has a groin injury that he's rehabbing from every day. Should he get on the court and do whatever he regularly does and risk tearing a groin muscle and being out the rest of the season?

Sure they could "tough out" these injuries if they were in the middle of a playoff series and needed. But why would anyone want them to do that now?

Solid D
03-15-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/fotos/noticias/jornada1/gra_1429_44.jpg

Playing through injuries depends on where the injury is. This guy here is Spurs material. Nikos "Rocky" Zisis. 21 years old, been playing in Greece for 5 years, already. Olympian already. Gets his face smashed and gets back in there and nails a clutch buzzer 3-pointer.

http://www.euroleague.net/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=17&id=589

BigVee
03-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Simple for me. If the Spurs are NOT 100%, home court will not help. If they ARE 100%, home court will not matter. Tim, Manu and Tony at 100% (or damn close to) tip top shape will not lose a series regardless of where the games are played.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2005, 05:06 PM
The fact remains, the San Antonio Spurs have won their only championshps when they had home court throughout.