PDA

View Full Version : Billy G out?

MajorMike
03-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Got a text this morning saying UK relieved Billy the Kid of his coaching duties; anyone else heard this? I guess they had enough of his boozing and fancying of college girls, not to mention the fact he did a poor job.

Blake
03-27-2009, 10:49 AM
why would you get a text regarding Billy Gillespie?

K-State Spur
03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
i've heard that rumor as well. terrible idea by the UK trust.

if you believed them in the spring of 2007, one of the reasons that they ran off tubby was because the future was dim with his players/recruits.

that means, they gave gillespie one full recruiting class and expected him to immediately restock the shelves and have them back in the top 30-35.

unless they just throw so much money at a guy (which in conjunction with BCG's buyout is a GREAT use of taxpayer money), why would anybody want to walk into those standards? (obviously, there are many coaches that would love the opportunity to coach at that level, but with this firing, Kentucky would clearly be aiming for a guy who is ALREADY coaching at that level - i.e. Calipari, Donovan, Self, etc.)

j-6
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

if you believed them in the spring of 2007, one of the reasons that they ran off tubby was because the future was dim with his players/recruits.

that means, they gave gillespie one full recruiting class and expected him to immediately restock the shelves and have them back in the top 30-35.

unless they just throw so much money at a guy (which in conjunction with BCG's buyout is a GREAT use of taxpayer money), why would anybody want to walk into those standards? (obviously, there are many coaches that would love the opportunity to coach at that level, but with this firing, Kentucky would clearly be aiming for a guy who is ALREADY coaching at that level - i.e. Calipari, Donovan, Self, etc.)

I'd think that Cal would be the logical choice if this is a checkbook hire meant to silence the fanbase. Then again, I'm a big Billy Clyde fan and think it would be idiotic to can him after two effing seasons. Someone with more SEC knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he conference coach of the year last season?

Cal's brought two mid-majors to the Final Four - it's a lot easier to run up these 30 win seasons playing UTEP and La Salle a couple of times a year than it is in the SEC, even in a down year like 08-09.

Billy Clyde would fit in perfectly in Lubbock. Shame the job isn't open.

johngateswhiteley
03-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Got a text this morning saying UK relieved Billy the Kid of his coaching duties; anyone else heard this? I guess they had enough of his boozing and fancying of college girls, not to mention the fact he did a poor job.

don't know if thats true, but who doesn't like drinking and college girls? you like them in college, why wouldn't like them when you get older...? anyway, everyone has said its was more political than anything else...he won't bow down.

johngateswhiteley
03-27-2009, 01:31 PM

i agree. its insane. granted, his conference record was better his first year but the overall record improved and its not like they took a noticeable step back...or even one to begin with.

he is a proven winner and a fabulous recruiter...come back to A&M!

j-6
03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Official - Billy Clyde's a free agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4021232

Billy Gillispie is out as coach of Kentucky in his second season at the helm, and the school has called a 4:30 p.m. news conference to announce the change.

School officials had been quiet about Gillispie's job status after the Wildcats tumbled through the second half of the season to finish 22-14, tied for the second-most losses in the program's 106-year history.

On Wednesday, Kentucky's postseason ended with a loss to Notre Dame in the National Invitation Tournament quarterfinals.

Kentucky's 20 regular-season wins weren't enough to get a bid into the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1991.

University president Lee Todd said recently Gillispie's position would be evaluated at the end of the season. Todd attended the loss to Notre Dame but did not respond to requests for comment by The Associated Press on Thursday.

Athletic director Mitch Barnhart had been planning to meet with Gillispie, though the coach said during his radio show Thursday night no meeting had been scheduled.

When asked after the loss to Notre Dame if he expected to be back, Gillispie said the decision wasn't up to him.

"You're asking the wrong guy," he said. "All I know is to go to work, recruit, coach and that's what I did, that's what I've done and that's what I'll continue to do."

Gillispie was 40-27 two seasons into a seven-year deal with Kentucky that pays him a base salary of $2.3 million annually -- a deal he never signed.

The Wildcats imploded down the stretch, losing eight of their final 11 regular-season games despite having two of the top players in the Southeastern Conference in center Patrick Patterson and guard Jodie Meeks.

Gillispie took most of the blame for Kentucky's struggles, but not all of them. He pinned a two-point loss to LSU on an unnamed player he inserted into the game sometime in the second half. His seemingly random substitution patterns seemed to mystify the 24,000 assistant coaches who pack Rupp Arena every winter.

A sometimes testy relationship with the media didn't help. He endured a couple high-profile run-ins with a female TV reporter during the season, not exactly the kind of behavior some expected from the state's highest-paid employee.

Kentucky made overtures to Florida coach Billy Donovan two years ago and was rebuffed privately by Jay Wright of Villanova and Rick Barnes of Texas.

johngateswhiteley
03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
ridiculous

MajorMike
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Pat Forde from E$PN seems to think that after Calipari, Donovan, Pitino and Anderson turn them down, UK is going to come after a former UK PG.

lebomb
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Damn......... what did they expect him to do in 2yrs?? I guess the final four.

j-6
03-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Pat Forde from E$PN seems to think that after Calipari, Donovan, Pitino and Anderson turn them down, UK is going to come after a former UK PG.

Ford was in the running last time, right?

RonMexico
03-27-2009, 03:52 PM
My sources tell me that Travis Ford has just touched down on a private plane in Lexington, KY. So we'll see what happens.

mookie2001
03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
i get texts all the time regarding tim tebow

IceColdBrewski
03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Donovan to Kentucky?

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/032709source_donovan_leaving_UCF

IceColdBrewski
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Damn......... what did they expect him to do in 2yrs?? I guess the final four.

You're talking about Kentucky basketball. Tubby won them a Championship, and he still got run off.

Whisky Dog
03-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Kentucky has suddenly become unstable, and unstable isn't an atmosphere blue chip recruits like very often.

I heard Billy G tossed aside the political aspects of the job and burned valuable bridges. Oh well, if he doesn't want the politics he's better off at a small school somewhere

RonMexico
03-27-2009, 04:33 PM
If Billy Donovan takes that job (one he pretty much had locked up 2 years ago), then I'm going to drive to Lexington, egg his house, and skull fuck him.

K-State Spur
03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Kentucky has suddenly become unstable, and unstable isn't an atmosphere blue chip recruits like very often.

They've got top notch fan support (albeit completely unreasonable) - but you'd think the fact that they play in an arena named for a man who refused to recruit a black player until the mid-1960s would bother some young African-American recruits.

crc21209
03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
No surprise. He was OVERRATED at A&M.

Doug Collins
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM

:rolleyes

j-6
03-27-2009, 07:38 PM
They've got top notch fan support (albeit completely unreasonable) - but you'd think the fact that they play in an arena named for a man who refused to recruit a black player until the mid-1960s would bother some young African-American recruits.

I never thought of Rupp Arena being a hindrance to recruiting. I guess you may have a point if a bunch of primadonna AAU ballin' high school hopping five star recruits gave a crap about anything outside of themselves. Maybe one of their parents told them that the old man that runs the Miami Heat played for an all white team run by a racist prick back in the 60's that may bother them. What those kids care about is how many people fill that place and how many banners are hanging from the ceiling, preferably with a year beginning with a 2.

Get the fuck out of here, or better yet, go post in the UTSA forum with the rest of the retards.

mookie2001
03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
guys im not sure if youve heard yet

the shamwow guy has been arrested

MajorMike
03-27-2009, 07:47 PM
OSU's Holder says he hasn't been contacted by Kentucky

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
Published: 3/27/2009 5:33 PM
Last Modified: 3/27/2009 5:33 PM

Kentucky men's basketball coach Billy Gillispie was fired today, and immediately speculation has centered on whether Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford, a former Kentucky player, might be a candidate for the job.

Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said in an interview today that he hasn't been contacted by officials at Kentucky.

When asked if Holder expected to be contacted or whether he was monitoring the Kentucky coaching situation, Holder said, "I won't comment on any of it."

Ford, 39, just completed his first season at OSU and led the Cowboys to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. It was OSU's first appearance in the tournament since 2005.

Ford was a player at Kentucky from 1991-94.

Attempts to contact Ford today have been unsuccessful. Oklahoma State athletic department spokesman Mike Noteware said Ford is on a recruiting trip today.

Shortly after news broke about Gillispie's dismissal at Kentucky, an Orlando, Fla., television station reported that University of Florida coach Billy Donovan would take the UK job.

However, Donovan has issued a statement saying he will remain at Florida.

K-State Spur
03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I never thought of Rupp Arena being a hindrance to recruiting. I guess you may have a point if a bunch of primadonna AAU ballin' high school hopping five star recruits gave a crap about anything outside of themselves. Maybe one of their parents told them that the old man that runs the Miami Heat played for an all white team run by a racist prick back in the 60's that may bother them. What those kids care about is how many people fill that place and how many banners are hanging from the ceiling, preferably with a year beginning with a 2.

I wouldn't extend it to Riles, he's proven himself to be fully integrated for a long time now.

Rupp's legacy (for good and bad) was already cemented.

pkbpkb81
03-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Ford is a good young coach i hope he doent go, i like when the big 12 is up osu needs to step up and give him a raise just like OU is going to do with Caple

Doug Collins
03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
guys im not sure if youve heard yet

the shamwow guy has been arrested

Punched a hooker in the face cause she bit his tongue. You can't make that shit up. :lmao

mookie2001
03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
rofl that is great shit

you can bet if you have spiked hair and become famous in your mid 40s for seen on tv products, youre buying some pussy

j-6
03-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Punched a hooker in the face cause she bit his tongue. You can't make that shit up. :lmao

She bit his tongue? Why the hell was he kissing a hooker?

LaMarcus Bryant
03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
It's funny because he's a big giant POS who had one and a half good seasons at A&M. He had a chance to be something in A&M lore, maybe even to establish his own College Trainstation. But he went for the big "job you can't refuse" bit, and now is an unwanted piece of garbage.

L
O
L

"Great pickup for Coach Gilispie! :tu"
-AggieHoopsFan after Damion James commit

DynastyBuilder
03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
If UK is smart (which no one has accused them of that lately) they'll throw every dollar they can at Coach Cal or Izzo. I suspect that neither will be interested and if that's the case UK better be ready to have a similar check (slightly smaller) and some chapstick ready because they better be kissing Pelphrey or Ford's ass until one of them decides to come back.

Extra Stout
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
UK is dysfunctional. The fired Tubby Smith not long after he won a national championship. They hired Gillispie out of a little bit of desperation after everybody they really wanted turned them down. Now they've canned him after two years, before his recruits really had a chance to play. Last year, he was SEC co-coach of the year.

The ridiculous thing was that he really didn't get fired for basketball reasons. He got fired because at Kentucky, it's not good enough to be a good basketball coach. Besides winning 30 games a year, the coach basically has to be Kentucky State Pastor. He has to speak at all the social dinners, grease the right palms at the Rotary Club, have the perfect trophy family, always be there for the media, etc. It's tough enough running a basketball program without all the other garbage at UK.

Gillispie is of course the kind of guy who sleeps in his office because he works until 3 AM. He has no family. He is obsessed with basketball. He couldn't care less about giving inspiring keynote speeches at fundraising dinners. He is also kind of a prick. All of this made him a terrible fit at Kentucky. But, hey, he took the job, he blew it, and he won't see another opportunity at a high-prestige job for a while, if at all.

Nevertheless, one has to question whether UK is really such a high-prestige job anymore. When your good ol' boy culture is so oppressive that a guy who flourished at Texas A&M gets smothered... If the coach is Kentucky State Pastor, then Kentucky is one of those rural Baptist churches that chews up pastors every couple of years, until the only guy willing to work there is the cross-eyed guy who does sermons on how real men pee standing up.

DMX7
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
UK isn't an elite job anymore. It's still a high profile program like Notre Dame football but it isn't elite.

RonMexico
03-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm pretty sure Billy Mays is behind this shamwow arrest. I mean, the kid was threatening his tyranny of "as seen on TV" products and you don't become the king without leaving a few bodies along the way.

Blake
03-31-2009, 06:47 PM
UK isn't an elite job anymore. It's still a high profile program like Notre Dame football but it isn't elite.

coaching Notre Dame is an elite job.

RonMexico
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM

I agree with Blake.

I can't keep laughing at Gillispie blowing this job.

DMX7
04-01-2009, 01:37 AM

Not even in my top 15.