PDA

View Full Version : Next game against NO could be key to post-season

GSH
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I know that everyone says that being healthy is more important than seeding/HCA in the playoffs. But even healthy, seeding and Home Court are still big factors in a successful championship drive.

First of all, seeding could be about much more than first- and second-round matchups. If two teams finish tied for season record, the tie-break rules determine which is seeded higher. But... if those two teams eventually meet each other in the playoffs, the tie-breaker/seed also determines which team has home court for the series. So, for instance, if the Spurs and Rockets wind up tied, but the Spurs win the tie-breaker, they would have home court advantage against the Rockets if they met in the second round or WCF. The first round match-up is a crap shoot. But that eventual HCA could be huge.

If the Spurs wind up tied with Houston or New Orleans (or both), the first tiebreaker would be head-to-head records. The Spurs finished 2-2 with the Rockets, so the second tie-breaker would be used with them. But the Spurs are currently 1-1 with New Orleans, with 2 games left to play. If the Spurs win the next game against N.O., they can do no worse than a tie in that head-to-head tiebreaker - so the second tiebreaker would be used there also.

The second tie-breaker compares each team's winning percentage within their own division (if the teams are from the same division). Currently, the Spurs are 9-5, the Rockets 8-6, and the Hornets 7-4. The Spurs and Rockets have 2 more division games, while the Hornets have 5 more division games. Obviously, winning both games against N.O. would give the Spurs the second tie-breaker win against both teams. But getting at least a split against the Hornets is critical.

If the Spurs win this next game with N.O. the conference standings would be: Spurs 10-5, Rockets 8-6, and Hornets 7-5. That would give the Spurs at least a tie with Houston in the second tie-breaker. And the only way New Orleans could win the second tie-breaker would be by beating Dallas at home, plus beating Dallas, Houston, and the Spurs on the road.

Bottom line... if the Spurs win the next game against New Orleans (assuming a win tonight against the Clippers) they could probably finish 5-4 in their remaining games, and still win the Southwest Division, and the #2 seed in the playoffs. (Possibly #3, if Denver finishes extremely strong.)

Pauleta14
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm confident we'll keep the 2nd place...
But even if we don't, I know we can beat NO, Denver or Houston ...
The only thing we have to worry about is beng HEALTY!!

About the next game against NO, I can wait to see Tony vs CP!
I realy hope Tony doen't "disapoint", because this could be a "statement game" for him and the way he is respected by the league and the media!
If his jumper could be on ...

ElNono
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
While I think winning as many games as possible, and winning the Division is commendable, especially after the many injuries we had to deal with, this game is far from being 'key to the post-season'. It's just another regular season game.

Thompson
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for working it all out. I thought it seemed likely we would end up with the tie-breakers for most situations (except Denver obviously), but I never went to the trouble of figuring it all out myself.

Even if we don't have to have homecourt advantage, it sure would be nice. It could lead to us winning a series sooner (remember how the Hornets series last year went back-and-forth with the home team winning until game 7?), which in turn could lead to more rest and fewer injuries. If we don't have to scrap and claw as much in one series we'll be fresher in the next.

I think I'll end up wishing until the end of time that the NBA would mandate a minimum 2 days off between series; it almost seems they prefer to have the discretion to declare when the next series starts in order to potentially influence the next series (like last year between the Hornets series and the Lakers series, or a couple of years prior between the Kings and Mavs series). Maybe they aren't really trying to do that, but it would be nice if they'd avoid even the appearance of impropriety by allowing all teams a couple of days to recover.

exstatic
03-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Tyson Chandler's out at least another week with an ankle, as per Spurs halftime announcer, and they're losing to the Knicks.

fevertrees
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
The Hornets game will be a practice session for the Spurs lol

Spursfan092120
03-27-2009, 08:52 PM
New Orleans lost to the Knicks tonight..WOOHOO!

tmtcsc
03-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Nawlins blows this year. No Chandler=No Win.

Lakers2009champs
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
The Hornets were having a fluke season last year, I expect Chris Paul to ask for a trade in a few years.

exstatic
03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
The Hornets were having a fluke season last year, I expect Chris Paul to ask for a trade in a few years.

To me, what separates the Hornets from the elite isn't talent, it's the reaction to adversity. EVERYTHING broke for them last year, as far as catching the league somewhat by surprise, and having minimal injuries. This year, they fucking crumpled and started sniping and backbiting when things didn't go their way. In a word: immaturity.

BTW, I fucking HATE Chris Paul, and if there were one player that I could pick to have his team disintegrate around him, it would be CP3. Bonus!! :lol

Ditty
03-27-2009, 10:07 PM
chadler will be out

stojabitch will probably be out again

wow we do own the hornets

Sean Marks vs Duncan

game over spurs by 8

onarollbaby
03-27-2009, 10:10 PM
If the Spurs will play true to form and not underestimate the decimated Hornets, It would be a sure win

GSH
03-27-2009, 10:36 PM
While I think winning as many games as possible, and winning the Division is commendable, especially after the many injuries we had to deal with, this game is far from being 'key to the post-season'. It's just another regular season game.

Maybe I should have gone farther with the original post, but I thought it was kind of obvious. If the Spurs win this next game with New Orleans, they will have some breathing room. Pop could afford to rest Tim a little more, and try out some different rotations. And rest Tim some more. Firming up that second tie-breaker would be a real luxury. And he could rest Tim more.

Think what you want, but I think a tough, grind-it-out, 7-game series in the second round wouldn't be the best thing for this team right before going up against the Lakers. And the best chance of avoiding that is to have HCA through the first 2 rounds. But there is still a big difference between securing the #2 seed early vs. doing it on the last day of the season. Because if they do it early, they can rest Tim more.

New Orleans really hurt their chances with the loss tonight. But our remaining games against them are still very meaningful if we have to go to a second tie-breaker with Houston. The best thing, obviously, would be for the Spurs to win all their remaining games. But in order to do that, they probably couldn't rest Tim more.

Being healthy is the most important thing. But it would really help to be healthy, and have HCA through the first 2 rounds. Beating New Orleans probably gives the Spurs the tie-breaker and HCA. Being healthy probably means resting Tim more.

I'll say again... beating N.O. next game could be the key to the post-season. Mostly because they could rest Tim more.

Okay?

ElNono
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe I should have gone farther with the original post, but I thought it was kind of obvious. If the Spurs win this next game with New Orleans, they will have some breathing room. Pop could afford to rest Tim a little more, and try out some different rotations. And rest Tim some more. Firming up that second tie-breaker would be a real luxury. And he could rest Tim more.

Think what you want, but I think a tough, grind-it-out, 7-game series in the second round wouldn't be the best thing for this team right before going up against the Lakers. And the best chance of avoiding that is to have HCA through the first 2 rounds. But there is still a big difference between securing the #2 seed early vs. doing it on the last day of the season. Because if they do it early, they can rest Tim more.

New Orleans really hurt their chances with the loss tonight. But our remaining games against them are still very meaningful if we have to go to a second tie-breaker with Houston. The best thing, obviously, would be for the Spurs to win all their remaining games. But in order to do that, they probably couldn't rest Tim more.

Being healthy is the most important thing. But it would really help to be healthy, and have HCA through the first 2 rounds. Beating New Orleans probably gives the Spurs the tie-breaker. Being healthy probably means resting Tim more.

I'll say again... beating N.O. next game could be the key to the post-season. Mostly because they could rest Tim more.

Okay?

Whatever... you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
The reality is that we're going to go out there and try to win the game just like any other game. And just like any other regular season game (ie: like the lost game against the Rockets the other day), it won't make or break our playoffs plans.
What's most likely to happen is that Pop rests TD as much as he's been doing lately, and still plays Manu reduced minutes. He's not going to go crazy for just a regular season game. You should listen to the coach of your own team when he says HCA is overrated.
Plus NOH is nowhere near the team it was last year, especially D.West.

Spurlady
03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I thought you made a very good point in your first post but this puts a whole new spin and makes the game even more important. Yes it is a regular season game, but there are some games that do make more of a difference than others.
(*The 07 Mavs team that let a regular season game go and ended up with GS in the playoffs comes to mind.)

TheSpursFNRule
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
I was at the NYK's game tonight and I saw New Orleans playing. They look really out of rhythm, me and my friend both noticed it. When Chris Paul isn't out there that team really doesn't have much chemistry. Also not to mention the over-paid Posey isn't the spark off the bench either. And no Peja or Chandler is another to make me think the Spurs will easily take this team. But who knows they've had trouble in the past....

Thompson
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I knew Chandler would probably be out, but what's wrong with Peja? He still having back problems or something?

Lakers2009champs
03-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Spurs win by 10+

GSH
03-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I thought you made a very good point in your first post but this puts a whole new spin and makes the game even more important. Yes it is a regular season game, but there are some games that do make more of a difference than others.
(*The 07 Mavs team that let a regular season game go and ended up with GS in the playoffs comes to mind.)

Exactly. (And thanks, btw.)

Look at one very realistic scenario. Suppose the Spurs lose the next game to the Hornets:
The Spurs last game of the season is against New Orleans. If the Spurs stumble and lose a couple of close games down the stretch, they could legitimately wind up tied with those two teams. And that one, final game against New Orleans could make the difference between the #2 seed and the #4 seed. I think most people would look at that as a very important last game of the season. The Spurs can't take any chances of letting that happen. HCA may be over-rated, but it is far from meaningless if you are really planning on winning it all.

No matter what some people may say, not all losses are created equally, especially when so many teams are within a game or two of each other. And since we know that the Spurs can't win the first tie-breaker against Houston or Denver, division games become extremely important. We only have 2 division games left, both against N.O. We need to win at least one of them. Winning the first would be much better than needing to win the last one.

If someone told Pop today that he could sit Tim for 5 of the last 10 games, and still get the #3 seed, do you think he would take the deal? I think he would jump on it. But if he knew it would give them the #5 seed instead (and almost guarantee playing the second round on the road), I don't think he would have anything to do with it.

Well a win against New Orleans is basically worth an extra half-game lead over the Rockets and Hornets. And it would make it much more difficult for the Spurs to do worse than a #3 seed. It's not a "must win" game - but it is a luxury game. And that luxury is the ability to keep Tim fresh for the playoffs, without worrying about the cost.

[Note: I'm not questioning whether the Spurs can beat N.O. next game. I'm saying it's important that they do beat them. I hope you are all correct about Chandler, and the game being a cake-walk. Because it's a big win, at this point in the season.]

ulosturedge
03-28-2009, 04:28 AM
I honestly think we are gonna be #2 regardless of what happens Sunday. Did u see Manu tonight? This is obviously a different team with him back.

Theres alot of dog eat dog out there btw. I honestly don't see any of those teams winning out the rest of their games. Which is pretty much what they would have to do to get past the Spurs imo.

Horse
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
To me, what separates the Hornets from the elite isn't talent, it's the reaction to adversity. EVERYTHING broke for them last year, as far as catching the league somewhat by surprise, and having minimal injuries. This year, they fucking crumpled and started sniping and backbiting when things didn't go their way. In a word: immaturity.

BTW, I fucking HATE Chris Paul, and if there were one player that I could pick to have his team disintegrate around him, it would be CP3. Bonus!! :lol
Agreed the rule changes have made this guy a star. If he played in the early 90's you would'nt even know his name he's soft as tissue paper. And I'd love to kick his little ass.

exstatic
03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Agreed the rule changes have made this guy a star. If he played in the early 90's you would'nt even know his name he's soft as tissue paper. And I'd love to kick his little ass.

I think his game, at least offensively, is premier. I just hate his attitude, like he's done something of note in the league when he hasn't yet, and his constant blatant flopping. If he would just shut up and straight ball, he'd probably be one of my favorite non-Spurs.

NFGIII
03-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I think his game, at least offensively, is premier. I just hate his attitude, like he's done something of note in the league when he hasn't yet, and his constant blatant flopping. If he would just shut up and straight ball, he'd probably be one of my favorite non-Spurs.

:tu

Me, too. Just play and stop the whining! And with the meltdown going on in NO it just proves that a mature and professional outlook is a neccessary ingredient to getting deep in the POs. And you were right about last year - EVERYTHING pretty much went their way until game 7 in round 2.

porscha
03-28-2009, 02:52 PM
hey GSH, have you seen manu's last 2 game? what do you think of his ankle?

Manufan909
03-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Whatever... you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
The reality is that we're going to go out there and try to win the game just like any other game. And just like any other regular season game (ie: like the lost game against the Rockets the other day), it won't make or break our playoffs plans.
What's most likely to happen is that Pop rests TD as much as he's been doing lately, and still plays Manu reduced minutes. He's not going to go crazy for just a regular season game. You should listen to the coach of your own team when he says HCA is overrated.
Plus NOH is nowhere near the team it was last year, especially D.West.

I think you listen to Pop too much. He is right about most things, but not about everythng. And can you really type with a straight face that the season games between the Bucks/Nets/Knicks/Hawks and the season games between the Jazz/LAL/NO/Houston/Portland/Dallas are equal? Even besides making a "statement", that's a full game swing in the standings. I'm not saying overplay the Big 3, but watch how much you rest them, cuz having to possibly play 4 road games in a PO series by the 2nd round isn't worth it.

GSH
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
hey GSH, have you seen manu's last 2 game? what do you think of his ankle?

He looked a little tired in the first game, but that's to be expected. But he's able to make good cuts, getting good lift on his shots, and not shooting off of one foot. It looks like he believes the ankle is sound, which is the best sign of all.

I'm glad he stayed out as long as he did. I wouldn't want to see him playing 35 minutes, but I feel good about the chances of him being solid through the playoffs. I'm more optimistic than I have been this whole season.

ElNono
03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
So we lost. Do we tank the postseason now? Being that this game was key and all...

Capt Bringdown
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Spurs have missed too many opportunities this season. especially in March. We still don't know what kind of team we'll have in the playoffs, perhaps figuring that out should be our main goal in what little time we have left.

Pop seems to be more concerned about making a statement about his coaching skills than anything else at this point. It's a strange sight to see our team concept meltdown after all these years. Is it Duncan's team, Parker's team, Manu etc?; Pop appears to want to tell the world that it's his team, and that his micro-management revolving roster mania is what will bring us success.

Budkin
03-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Talk about a jinx thread...

GSH
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
So we lost. Do we tank the postseason now? Being that this game was key and all...

Why are you such a dick? Look at the standings and tiebreakers now vs. what it would have looked like. Winning would have made the remainder of the regular season easier. That's all. But it could also make a difference in the playoffs. (Notice how the thread title said "could be"?

I'm guessing that you flunked math in school, and you take out your feelings of failure on the people around you. Get some therapy... get a math tutor. But get over it. You don't score any extra points in life by being a dick.

[Edit: And before you try and tell us that you have a PhD in Math, maybe it was reading you flunked. Either way, you're obviously feeling a little... inadequate.]

CP3 MVP
03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
i didnt know a 45-27 record with 2 starters being out a total of over 35+ games meant you were "melting down." we just beat the spurs without chandler, peja, and posey on natl television. id consider that a nice confidence boost. people say we're not what we were last year but we've been devastated by injuries. even more so than the spurs, who have a good record despite some injuries. dont look at stats, peja and chandler are important pieces of our team. they give better spacing to west and cp3 and chandler does the intangibles. so come on, i like intelligent fans that post intelligent things, not stupid shit like the hornets are awful.

ElNono
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Why are you such a dick? Look at the standings and tiebreakers now vs. what it would have looked like. Winning would have made the remainder of the regular season easier. That's all. But it could also make a difference in the playoffs. (Notice how the thread title said "could be"?

I'm guessing that you flunked math in school, and you take out your feelings of failure on the people around you. Get some therapy... get a math tutor. But get over it. You don't score any extra points in life by being a dick.

[Edit: And before you try and tell us that you have a PhD in Math, maybe it was reading you flunked. Either way, you're obviously feeling a little... inadequate.]

Your takes just suck. You deal with it. We lost, we're still second in the West, and even if we go in with the 3rd or 4th or 7th seed, I know the Spurs can win on the road. I'll take Pop's word that seeding position is not that important, or HCA for that matter before any weak sauce rant from a hack like you.

Now, go start a thread about how key to the postseason is the next game...

ElNono
03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
ELNono: As much as I usually like your takes,let me desagree with you on this one.
If the spurs are gonna play like they did tonite,we're not just gonna lose on the road,we might as well lose at home.
Here's why:
1-Poor rebounding
2-No penetrations(meaning less trips to the FT line)
3-Bonner needs to go find something else to do,cose the NBA isnt just for him.
4-Too many fucking 3s(more tham usual)

Listen, you're just melting down right now. Ofcourse were not going to play like this in the playoffs. At least not for 7 games in a row. You think Pop will close the 3rd quarter with the lineup he put out there? Or that Manu is not going to drive more when he actually gets into somewhat decent shape? How many terrible games like this is Kurt Thomas going to have? How many more calls are the Hornets going to get? Yet we were still right there.
Chill out. We need to get to the playoffs and go from there.
I just don't see any team in the West that we can go out there, execute our game, and be unable to beat them in their house.

GSH
03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Your takes just suck. You deal with it. We lost, we're still second in the West, and even if we go in with the 3rd or 4th or 7th seed, I know the Spurs can win on the road. I'll take Pop's word that seeding position is not that important, or HCA for that matter before any weak sauce rant from a hack like you.

Now, go start a thread about how key to the postseason is the next game...

Hey, El Dipshit. Check the Western Conference standings today.
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Notice anything odd? Of course you don't, but I bet most people do. That's right - Houston is a half game behind us, but they have clinched a playoff berth, and we haven't. I know that's going to strain your already overloaded brain, but it's because of tie-breakers. Can you say tie-breaker? I knew you could.

Don't start flaming yet, El Dipshit. Nobody is saying that the Spurs won't make the playoffs. It just means that Houston clinched earlier than us, even with a worse record. But the same thing that allowed that to happen could give Houston the Southwest Division title, and a higher playoff seed. It could cost us home court advantage against Houston, Denver, or even New Orleans if we meet them in the playoffs. And a win in New Orleans last night could have prevented it. If we wind up tied with any of those teams, you may finally understand.

No matter how mean you talk, you know jack shit about the game. Yes - having Tim and Manu healthy is the most important thing. But if you actually believe that HCA is a non-factor in the playoffs, you are either a newcomer to the sport, or just plain stupid. And if you think that Pop was saying that HCA is a non-factor, someone needs to step in before you are allowed to breed. We don't need you making any more stupid little people to annoy the next generation.

[Edit: Here's a few fun little facts about HCA in the playoffs. There are a lot more, but I kept it short.]
During the 2007-2008 playoffs, home teams won 60 of the 80 contested games. Game 1 victors went on to win 16 of the 17 series waged last year. Having Game 1 at home also guarantees that Game 7 (if necessary) will be contested in the same home arena of the team with the best regular-season record. How important is playing Game 7 at home? In the 100 Game 7s recorded in league history, the home team has won 80.

ElNono
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey, El Dipshit. Check the Western Conference standings today.
http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html

Notice anything odd? Of course you don't, but I bet most people do. That's right - Houston is a half game behind us, but they have clinched a playoff berth, and we haven't. I know that's going to strain your already overloaded brain, but it's because of tie-breakers. Can you say tie-breaker? I knew you could.

Don't start flaming yet, El Dipshit. Nobody is saying that the Spurs won't make the playoffs. It just means that Houston clinched earlier than us, even with a worse record. But the same thing that allowed that to happen could give Houston the Southwest Division title, and a higher playoff seed. It could cost us home court advantage against Houston, Denver, or even New Orleans if we meet them in the playoffs. And a win in New Orleans last night could have prevented it. If we wind up tied with any of those teams, you may finally understand.

No matter how mean you talk, you know jack shit about the game. Yes - having Tim and Manu healthy is the most important thing. But if you actually believe that HCA is a non-factor in the playoffs, you are either a newcomer to the sport, or just plain stupid. And if you think that Pop was saying that HCA is a non-factor, someone needs to step in before you are allowed to breed. We don't need you making any more stupid little people to annoy the next generation.

[Edit: Here's a few fun little facts about HCA in the playoffs. There are a lot more, but I kept it short.]
During the 2007-2008 playoffs, home teams won 60 of the 80 contested games. Game 1 victors went on to win 16 of the 17 series waged last year. Having Game 1 at home also guarantees that Game 7 (if necessary) will be contested in the same home arena of the team with the best regular-season record. How important is playing Game 7 at home? In the 100 Game 7s recorded in league history, the home team has won 80.

We already clinched. You don't see it because you're stupid.

Straight from Pop:
"It doesn't matter then if you have home or away. The best team is gonna win. Every time we won a championship, we won on the road. We won one or two games in every series on the road, because we were a better team. I think that proves out for every champion. If we're good enough, we'll find a way."

/thread

GSH
03-31-2009, 04:35 AM
We already clinched. You don't see it because you're stupid.

Straight from Pop:
"It doesn't matter then if you have home or away. The best team is gonna win. Every time we won a championship, we won on the road. We won one or two games in every series on the road, because we were a better team. I think that proves out for every champion. If we're good enough, we'll find a way."

/thread

First of all, shithead, if the NBA site doesn't have a little x next to the Spurs name, it means that there is a mathematical chance that they still could miss the playoffs, however small. If you want to argue with someone, argue with them.

The problem is that you don't understand multi-way tiebreakers. (The real problem is that you are a fucking neanderthal with a big mouth, but that's a different subject.) In a multi way tie between non-division winners, the first tie-breaker is best winning percentage between all tied teams. Pinheads like you always want to compare head-to-head for each team, but it doesn't work that way. We may be 3-1 against the Suns, but they are 2-1 against Denver, while we are 1-2. They could be 1-2 against New Orleans, while we could be 1-3. The tie-breaker is who has the best winning percentage among all tied teams.

I don't have a computer simulation set up, but you can bet your ass that the NBA does. I don't know the exact scenario(s), but you can bet your ass the NBA does. And that's why there isn't a little x next to the Spurs for having clinched. But that really doesn't matter. What does matter is that the same tie-breaker problems could easily move the Spurs as low as 6th seed.

You shot off your mouth and embarassed yourself. And you keep trying to make up for it by being even more abusive with your posts. But the bottom line is you don't have a clue how the tie-breakers work, or why that game with N.O. was so important. Just remember - stupid is hereditary, but ignorance is voluntary. You should take a little time to educate yourself before trying to talk.

You were also too fucking lazy to get the whole quote from Pop. He didn't say HCA was meaningless or unimportant:
"One would never turn down a higher seed," he said. "Any coach that tells you that is lying," he said. "It can be important. But we've done both. We won the seventh game in New Orleans last year and if you'd have asked me before the game, I would have said, 'Gee, I'd rather play this at home.' ..."But the best team really does win. In seven games, I can't think of a time when the best team did not win the series."

So answer this El Shithead. Do you think Pop would rather win the first 2 rounds in 5 games each, or 7 games each? If the Spurs have to face the Lakers in the WCF, they sure as hell would rather finish the second round early. Without HCA, 7 games is a lot more likely. That might make the difference in who is the better team.

Don't you just hate looking stupid and dickless in front of all these nice Spurs fans?

ElNono
03-31-2009, 08:55 AM
First of all, shithead, if the NBA site doesn't have a little x next to the Spurs name, it means that there is a mathematical chance that they still could miss the playoffs, however small. If you want to argue with someone, argue with them.

I have better things to do than to project the Spurs going 0-9 the rest of the way, especially against the opposition we're facing. You go ahead and believe we're going 0-9 the rest if the way. Do you wanna put your money where your mouth is and bet we're not going to clinch within the next 2 games?... I didn't think so.

The problem is that you don't understand multi-way tiebreakers. (The real problem is that you are a fucking neanderthal with a big mouth, but that's a different subject.) In a multi way tie between non-division winners, the first tie-breaker is best winning percentage between all tied teams. Pinheads like you always want to compare head-to-head for each team, but it doesn't work that way. We may be 3-1 against the Suns, but they are 2-1 against Denver, while we are 1-2. They could be 1-2 against New Orleans, while we could be 1-3. The tie-breaker is who has the best winning percentage among all tied teams.

I don't have a computer simulation set up, but you can bet your ass that the NBA does. I don't know the exact scenario(s), but you can bet your ass the NBA does. And that's why there isn't a little x next to the Spurs for having clinched. But that really doesn't matter. What does matter is that the same tie-breaker problems could easily move the Spurs as low as 6th seed.

And what's the problem with that? If you're the better team, seeding is irrelevant. Even more so considering the season we had injury wise. That's what a 4 time NBA champion coach said.
Somehow I think he has more authority on the subject than a hack like you.

You shot off your mouth and embarassed yourself. And you keep trying to make up for it by being even more abusive with your posts. But the bottom line is you don't have a clue how the tie-breakers work, or why that game with N.O. was so important. Just remember - stupid is hereditary, but ignorance is voluntary. You should take a little time to educate yourself before trying to talk.

Your posts are embarrasing. Give us a break and STFU already.

You were also too fucking lazy to get the whole quote from Pop. He didn't say HCA was meaningless or unimportant:
"One would never turn down a higher seed," he said. "Any coach that tells you that is lying," he said. "It can be important. But we've done both. We won the seventh game in New Orleans last year and if you'd have asked me before the game, I would have said, 'Gee, I'd rather play this at home.' ..."But the best team really does win. In seven games, I can't think of a time when the best team did not win the series."

So answer this El Shithead. Do you think Pop would rather win the first 2 rounds in 5 games each, or 7 games each? If the Spurs have to face the Lakers in the WCF, they sure as hell would rather finish the second round early. Without HCA, 7 games is a lot more likely. That might make the difference in who is the better team.

Don't you just hate looking stupid and dickless in front of all these nice Spurs fans?

I quoted Pop properly in the context of this discussion. There's no doubt he'll take a higher seed if given to him, but he won't overplay his players to do so. Case in point, we handed Denver the tiebreaker. If you haven't noticed how this ball club operates by now, you need to catch up and quickly before you keep on posting more garbage.

GSH
04-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey El Zero... did you see all the articles about how the Spurs finally clinched a playoff berth LAST NIGHT? Not the game before, dipshit. Last night.

You must be the only person on the planet who didn't get the memo. You're now officially a bigger dumb shit than Sequ. How embarassing.

EL NONO - "I have better things to do... than to know what I'm talking about."

ElNono
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Hey El Zero... did you see all the articles about how the Spurs finally clinched a playoff berth LAST NIGHT? Not the game before, dipshit. Last night.

You must be the only person on the planet who didn't get the memo. You're now officially a bigger dumb shit than Sequ. How embarassing.

EL NONO - "I have better things to do... than to know what I'm talking about."

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121306

Stop embarrassing yourself in front of everybody...

GSH
04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
http://img.funnyanimatedgifs.net/1505.gif

ElNono
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Next game against NO could be key to post-season

First of all, shithead, if the NBA site doesn't have a little x next to the Spurs name, it means that there is a mathematical chance that they still could miss the playoffs

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/66/1225424200026.jpg

GSH
04-14-2009, 02:10 AM
Here's a follow-up for all of those who insisted that "a loss is a loss, and all games are of equal importance". The Spurs wound up losing to New Orleans, and then beat the Pacers a few nights later. Suppose it had gone the other way - beating the Hornets and losing to Indiana. The Spurs would still be 53-28, and tied with Houston and Portland. But look what a difference it would have made:

If all 3 teams win their last games, and wind up tied at 54-28, the Spurs would have won the Southwest Division, due to a better record within the division. Winning the division guarantees one of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs. And since the Rockets own the tiebreaker over Portland, that would have given the Spurs the 3 seed, the Rockets 4, and Portland 5. We could even have HCA in the Western Conference Finals, if Portland managed to beat the Lakers in the second round.

Same 3 teams, same number of wins and losses. But winning that game in NO, rather than Indiana would have made the difference between the 3 and the 5 seed. At the beginning of the season, that game in New Orleans was no more important than any other. But at the time we played it, it was MUCH more important, because of the tiebreaker considerations. It's playing out just like I was afraid it might. We could still get the 3 seed, but now we need help from other teams.

So... could being the 3 seed vs. being the 5 seed turn out to be the key to post-season success? You don't have to know much about basketball history to know the answer to that one. Sure we could buck the odds. But I'd like our chances of doing that a lot better if we were healthy and playing our best ball at the end of the season. As it stands, I'd feel a lot better with the 3 seed and HCA for as long as possible.

A loss is not a loss. Not all games are created equal. And that game in New Orleans could, indeed, have been the key to the post-season.

Morg1411
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Here's a follow-up for all of those who insisted that "a loss is a loss, and all games are of equal importance". The Spurs wound up losing to New Orleans, and then beat the Pacers a few nights later. Suppose it had gone the other way - beating the Hornets and losing to Indiana. The Spurs would still be 53-28, and tied with Houston and Portland. But look what a difference it would have made:

If all 3 teams win their last games, and wind up tied at 54-28, the Spurs would have won the Southwest Division, due to a better record within the division. Winning the division guarantees one of the top 4 seeds in the playoffs. And since the Rockets own the tiebreaker over Portland, that would have given the Spurs the 3 seed, the Rockets 4, and Portland 5. We could even have HCA in the Western Conference Finals, if Portland managed to beat the Lakers in the second round.

Same 3 teams, same number of wins and losses. But winning that game in NO, rather than Indiana would have made the difference between the 3 and the 5 seed. At the beginning of the season, that game in New Orleans was no more important than any other. But at the time we played it, it was MUCH more important, because of the tiebreaker considerations. It's playing out just like I was afraid it might. We could still get the 3 seed, but now we need help from other teams.

So... could being the 3 seed vs. being the 5 seed turn out to be the key to post-season success? You don't have to know much about basketball history to know the answer to that one. Sure we could buck the odds. But I'd like our chances of doing that a lot better if we were healthy and playing our best ball at the end of the season. As it stands, I'd feel a lot better with the 3 seed and HCA for as long as possible.

A loss is not a loss. Not all games are created equal. And that game in New Orleans could, indeed, have been the key to the post-season.

And we can do what, exactly, about that now? Or are you just trying desperately to prove that you were right?

:sleep

ElNono
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Meh... we could have just beat Houston last time around, and have the tie breaker to win the division too without needing Houston to lose. We could have ended up with the #2 seed too if we gave a crap and actually didn't play scrubs against Denver. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. In that scenario though, we would play against NO, which IMO is a worst matchup for us than playing Dallas.

You're still stuck with the whole 'seeding really matters' theory. Tim Duncan knees have more saying on the playoffs than HCA or seeding. The only goal of the regular season is to make the playoff. We accomplished that task. The rest is pretty much rubbish.

GSH
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Meh... we could have just beat Houston last time around, and have the tie breaker to win the division too without needing Houston to lose. We could have ended up with the #2 seed too if we gave a crap and actually didn't play scrubs against Denver. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. In that scenario though, we would play against NO, which IMO is a worst matchup for us than playing Dallas.

You're still stuck with the whole 'seeding really matters' theory. Tim Duncan knees have more saying on the playoffs than HCA or seeding. The only goal of the regular season is to make the playoff. We accomplished that task. The rest is pretty much rubbish.

You rode the short bus to school, didn't you?

ElNono
04-14-2009, 11:41 AM
You rode the short bus to school, didn't you?

Easier to attack me than defend your own argument? I thought so.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/12/christmas_ownage.jpg

z0sa
04-14-2009, 11:42 AM
a loss to a division opponent always matters more than other losses. however, NEXT game against NO is most important.

spursfaninla
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Dang, this had me loling all over the place...