PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Gardens.

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
this is my first serious garden. its kinda new and exciting. this is what i got going- tomatoes, cucumbers, jalepenos, strawberries, potatos, cilantro, spinach, squash, carrots, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, onions, green beans, cantelope, grapes, blackberries and garlic. and yes this is damn near taking up all my backyard. anybody else got one going this year?

oh and its supposed to get cold this weekend so if you havent planted yet wait till next week

David Bowie
03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
My grandparents and I had a garden when I was young. We grew potatoes, tomatoes, strawberrys, cucambers, turnips, zukkinni, cabbage, carrots, currant berry, cilantro, Cauliflower, radish, dill, raspberrys, peas, various kinds of flowers and other things. I loved to garden. And organic food tastes absolutly delicious. Nothing in the market even comes close to what you grow in your own garden. I really miss those days.

Also, some friends of ours grew a type of tomatoe called the "Black Prince". It was a tomatoe that was absolutly black in color (complitly pitch black) but tastated exactly like a regular tomatoe. I've never seen anything like it before or since :)

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
My grandparents and I had a garden when I was young. We grew potatoes, tomatoes, strawberrys, cucambers, turnips, zukkinni, cabbage, carrots, currant berry, cilantro, Cauliflower, radish, dill, raspberrys, peas, various kinds of flowers and other things. I loved to garden. And organic food tastes absolutly delicious. Nothing in the market even comes close to what you grow in your own garden. I really miss those days.

Also, some friends of ours grew a type of tomatoe called the "Black Prince". It was a tomatoe that was absolutly black in color (complitly pitch black) but tastated exactly like a regular tomatoe. I've never seen anything like it before or since :)

nice. im looking forward to fresh veggies. that black prince sounds pretty wild. did you grow in texas? i did 2 celebrity, 2 solar fire, 1 patio and 1 top gun tomato. how could i pass on a plant called top gun :lol

David Bowie
03-27-2009, 06:46 PM
nice. im looking forward to fresh veggies. that black prince sounds pretty wild. did you grow in texas? i did 2 celebrity, 2 solar fire, 1 patio and 1 top gun tomato. how could i pass on a plant called top gun :lol

No, I grew them in St. Pittersburg, Russia. Currently live in Boston, Mass in an apartment. No room for planting. I have no idea what kind of tomatoes, etc. that we grew. I just knew that they were delicious.

On another note, my crazy neighbor ended up in the hospital a bunch of times because she got a hernia from gardening too hard. And she also accused me and my friends of stealing her tomatoes :lol

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-27-2009, 07:02 PM
:lmao i will try to avoid that condition, however it was hard ass work tilling and shoveling all those rows. if you have a patio at your apt. you could try one of those topsy-turvy. i have 2 buddies growing them and they're doing great. i googed those black tomatoes, pretty crazy.

btw how were your neighbors tomatoes :lol

David Bowie
03-28-2009, 01:43 AM
:lmao i will try to avoid that condition, however it was hard ass work tilling and shoveling all those rows. if you have a patio at your apt. you could try one of those topsy-turvy. i have 2 buddies growing them and they're doing great. i googed those black tomatoes, pretty crazy.

btw how were your neighbors tomatoes :lol

I never stole no tomatoes. :nope

I googled the black tomatoes as well. However, all of those tomatoes have some red color in them. The ones that I ate were pure black. It was like the 8th wonder of the world or something.

PM5K
03-29-2009, 12:41 AM
So I have a question for the gardeners here: What CANT be grown in South Texas?

I don't know personally but I know I haven't seen many apple trees (My Grandparents used to live next door to an older gentlemen that had an apple tree) and I've only seen one orange tree but it didn't have any oranges on it, but my brother claimed it had some a few weeks earlier. I also haven't seen many bananas but a relative used to have some as I recall, it was a long time ago so I may be mistaken.

David Bowie
03-29-2009, 12:43 AM
^ Don't grow Marijuana if your next door neighbor is a cop.

PM5K
03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
^ Don't grow Marijuana if your next door neighbor is a cop.

lol...

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-29-2009, 12:47 AM

im not real sure. but i can tell you that the lists of garden veggies that i found online were not as long as i thought they would be. pretty much everything i found on multiple lists were the same as the seed selection at the garden center. there are color coded geographical maps on the back of the seed packages that show when to plant and when to harvest specific veggies. so again im not real sure but there must be very few limitations for south texas

David Bowie
03-29-2009, 01:30 AM
http://www.lecc.ru/images/krugovnik.jpg

We used to also grow this berry. It was delicious. It's called something like krujovnic in Russian, but I've never seen it sold in the U.S. I only saw a few Russian gardeners grow it in the U.S. Anybody ever heard of it/seen it?

marini martini
03-29-2009, 01:33 AM
^^^^ Looks like figs, sorta. The color, shape & leaves. But figs aren't translucent like that.

tp2021
03-29-2009, 02:39 AM

I don't know personally but I know I haven't seen many apple trees (My Grandparents used to live next door to an older gentlemen that had an apple tree) and I've only seen one orange tree but it didn't have any oranges on it, but my brother claimed it had some a few weeks earlier. I also haven't seen many bananas but a relative used to have some as I recall, it was a long time ago so I may be mistaken.

My grandmother has 3 orange trees, 2 small ones in her backyard, one big one in the front. The big ones are delicious. She also has tomatoes, and thats an interesting little aside.

I grew some tomato plants for a class in elevated levels of iron (I just crushed up some supplement and mixed it in the soil). After I didn't need them anymore, my grandparents took them back home to the valley with them, and i had no idea. The next time I visited them, what I had remembered as little crappy stems were now supporting little green tomatoes! Since then, they have ripened and she says she uses them all the time to cook for relatives and friends and apparently they're delicious.

(This makes me want to taste them myself, and compare them with tomatoes without elevated iron levels....)

SO yeah, there you go. :toast

dimsah
03-29-2009, 09:45 AM
this is my first serious garden. its kinda new and exciting. this is what i got going- tomatoes, cucumbers, jalepenos, strawberries, potatos, cilantro, spinach, squash, carrots, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, onions, green beans, cantelope, grapes, blackberries and garlic. and yes this is damn near taking up all my backyard. anybody else got one going this year?

oh and its supposed to get cold this weekend so if you havent planted yet wait till next week

Did you give the strawberries enough room or cascade them? They'll spread out like crazy.

I've got my usual this year (cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, ugly ripe tomatoes, strawberries, green bell peppers, jalapenos). A few new ones (white onion, squash, cucumber). In the herb garden is the cilantro, rosemary, thyme and oregano.

The roma tomatoes are awesome for salsas, marinara and pico de gallo.

I had habaneros one year but wasted a lot because you just can't use that many.

Summers
03-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I wish I had a yard. I'd grow onions and tomatoes and maybe some pickling cucumbers. The house next to our apartment has been abandoned for about 2 years. I think I'm going to start a compost heap in the back yard and grow a garden.

Jekka
03-29-2009, 11:53 AM

There are some plants that require sustained cooler temperatures - rhubarb is one of them. Also, cherries will not grow in South Texas (at least none that I know of).

HighLowLobForBig-50
03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Did you give the strawberries enough room or cascade them? They'll spread out like crazy.

I've got my usual this year (cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, ugly ripe tomatoes, strawberries, green bell peppers, jalapenos). A few new ones (white onion, squash, cucumber). In the herb garden is the cilantro, rosemary, thyme and oregano.

The roma tomatoes are awesome for salsas, marinara and pico de gallo.

I had habaneros one year but wasted a lot because you just can't use that many.

i thought i had given enough room, but now you've got me rethinking. i planted four in one row about 18'' apart. i'll just have to keep a good eye on them. no new runners yet, some white flowers and ive got about 5 or 6 little strawberries. i put bags over the tomatoes last night and dont think they liked it much. actuallly they look pretty bad right now. everything else is doing great. my radishes came up today.

balli
03-29-2009, 04:43 PM
When it comes to fertilizers it's tough to beat the Foxfarm line... from Humboldt of course.

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/
https://grossepointe.net/~hydroha/catalog/images/foxfarm4.gif