PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Big Three Reunite As Spurs Rout Clippers

duncan228
03-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Big Three reunite as Spurs rout Clippers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Big_Three_reunite_as_Spurs_rout_Clippers.html)
Jeff McDonald

Manu Ginobili wanted to look good for his big day. So the first thing he did Friday morning was reach for a razor.

“I wanted to feel younger,” Ginobili said. “So I shaved.”

Baby-faced after cutting his whiskers, Ginobili couldn't have looked younger against the Clippers had he simultaneously sprouted hair on the back of his head.

Playing in his first game at the AT&T Center since Jan. 31, and in just his second game overall since missing a month and a half with an ankle injury, Ginobili had 14 points and seven assists in the Spurs' 111-98 victory.

He also provided proof that, with 10 games remaining until the postseason, his comeback is on schedule.

“Any time you're off a while, it takes some time to get your timing back,” Roger Mason Jr. said. “It was good to see him hit some shots and make some crazy passes.”

The buzz began to build throughout the arena midway through the first quarter, as Ginobili made his way to the scorer's table to check in. When he finally entered the game at the 4:59 mark, the crowd erupted in a “welcome home” cheer.

It marked the first time the Spurs' Big Three of Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan had all played in the same game since Feb. 11. For much of the first half, which is the only half that really mattered as the game quickly became a rout, it was as if the trio had never been apart.

Parker waltzed through the lane, leading a layup parade that would end with 18 points in 17 minutes. Duncan, himself hobbled with sore knees, dominated the paint after taking a night off in Atlanta. He had 13 points and missed one field goal, and was allowed to rest the entire second half.

Ginobili hit his first four field goals to light the fuse on the blowout, which put the Spurs (48-24) 11/2 games up of Houston for the Western Conference's second playoff seed.

Gregg Popovich got the assist on Ginobili's first field goal, calling a play out of a timeout to set him up with an open 14-footer. Later, Ginobili drove for a layup, faking a pass to Kurt Thomas to deceive his defender out of position.

By the time the first quarter was over, the Spurs led by 20. When Ginobili opened the second quarter with back-to-back 3-pointers, it was 45-21.

One of Ginobili's “crazy passes” went to Drew Gooden, who might figure he passed his Spurs initiation by somehow catching a no-look bullet through four outstretched arms for a layup in the third quarter.

Then there was the Ginobili play that made Popovich, and anyone else with an interest in the Spurs' postseason success, recoil in fear.

Ginobili had been in the game only a few minutes when he tore after a loose ball and nearly barreled into the Clippers' bench in unsuccessful pursuit.

Asked about the play afterward, Popovich shrugged. He's long since learned to live with Ginobili's disregard for his own safety.

“He is Manu Ginobili,” Popovich said. “He's not going to play any different. I've got no shot to try and temper him at all.”

Before the game, Ginobili said his goals were to “blend in” and “not hurt the team.” Instead, he stood out and hurt the Clippers.

It was a far cry from Ginobili's March debut, Wednesday night in Atlanta, when he went 1 for 7 and was so rusty he seemed to be in dire need of some WD-40.

Against the Hawks, Ginobili said, “I didn't feel I helped the team.”

“Every time I came in, they made a run,” Ginobili said. “I wasn't feeling good. Today was different.”

It was different because for the first time the Spurs can see the light at the end of Ginobili's recovery tunnel.

Ginobili says he still doesn't feel like himself. He's a step slow and a little off. It's still early in the process.

But it's a start.

“It's going to take a while,” Ginobili said. “I'm just very happy that I'm playing again, and helping the team.”

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 12:00 AM
So great to have the Big three again. I just wish there was something more that could be done for Timmy's tendonosis.

completely deck
03-28-2009, 12:00 AM
:tu

Let's hope TD makes it through the postseason as planned.

Dex
03-28-2009, 12:02 AM
:hungry:

duncan228
03-28-2009, 12:04 AM
It is nice to see them together again. It feels like forever.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/3-27-09pre3.jpg

ducks
03-28-2009, 12:07 AM
NO SHIT

ducks
03-28-2009, 12:07 AM
It is nice to see them together again. It feels like forever.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/3-27-09pre3.jpg

6 weeks

Ice009
03-28-2009, 01:46 AM
NO SHIT

Kori, Timvp seriously you've got to ban this clown. What is the point of this Ducks?

duncan228
03-28-2009, 01:46 AM
The other side.

Strange night, predictable ending: Clippers lose (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-spurs28-2009mar28,0,278362.story)

They fall in San Antonio for the 13th straight time, accompanied by the usual weirdness. Baron Davis says he has an ulcer, and Marcus Camby is injured again.
By Lisa Dillman

Reporting from San Antonio -- Strange days and nights, indeed.

Odd things seem to happen to the Clippers before, during and after games against the San Antonio Spurs. Of course, there is no containing this general Clippers strangeness. But it has appeared to occur with frequency when the Spurs are in close proximity.

Less than a month ago, it was Clippers owner Donald Sterling storming into the locker room to verbally thrash his players after a lopsided loss to the Spurs at Staples Center.

Then there was this thread on Friday night, the back story to the Spurs' 111-98 win at AT&T Center. It was the Clippers' 13th straight loss at San Antonio, and they were led by rookie guard Mike Taylor's 23 points, a solid follow-up to his breakout 35-point performance against the Knicks on Wednesday.

* The after:

Clippers point guard Baron Davis said in a quick postgame interview in the locker room that he was told he has a stomach ulcer.

Davis did not play against the Spurs and earlier thought he had either flu or food poisoning. "It's been building up for a week," he told The Times. "I knew it was something."

Stress? He said he had a stomach ulcer during his days at UCLA, and Davis was in obvious discomfort when he was talking about his physical issues.

"It's like somebody's sewing up the top part of my stomach," he said.

* The during:

Misfortune hit the injury-riddled Marcus Camby, again, less than three minutes into the game when he crashed to the court while contesting the Spurs' Tim Duncan for a rebound and sprained his left ankle.

He hobbled off the court, with assistance, and also needed help getting back to the locker room. The ankle is not broken, the team said, but this could practically end his star-crossed season. The team said he would be out one to two weeks. Two weeks would mean he might get back for the final three or four games.

* The before:

The Clippers' Zach Randolph found out through a phone call from his agent that someone had impersonated him on the Twitter social networking site and posted this, under the handle ZBO50: "i want out y'all. any ideas? Lets marbury this . . . up."

Not true. Randolph says he wants to stay with his team -- unlike the Celtics' Stephon Marbury, who wanted to flee the Knicks.

"Hell yeah," Randolph said, smiling. "We're a new team. We're going to get it together."

Randolph, who had 16 points against the Spurs, had not been as amused earlier. He called what the poser did "just crazy," and noted that it came right after he had a good game against the Knicks, his former team. He added he is so old school that he doesn't even text message.

"The only thing I get on the computer is to look at dogs,' he said. "That's it."

Dogs?

"Dogs and cars. I've never been on MySpace. Nothing," he said.

The Clippers keep coming away with nothing in San Antonio, where they haven't won since 2002. It was never going to be easy, not without Davis and Camby, and became even more difficult because the Spurs' trio of Duncan and guards Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker were playing together in a game for the first time since Feb. 11.

Duncan had 13 points in 13-plus minutes. Parker had 18 points and six assists, and Ginobili, coming off the bench, had 14 points and seven assists, many of them spectacular, in 17-plus minutes.

For the Clippers, Eric Gordon had 18 points and Al Thornton added 16.

San Antonio led by 20 after the first quarter and Ginobili was giving his teammates an impassioned lecture in the third quarter despite a 92-71 lead.

"That's the San Antonio Spurs for you," said Taylor, who started at point guard in place of Davis. "Once they get their foot in the door, they're going to try to put their other one in and walk away with it."

Or, in this case, run away with it.

ILoveOranges
03-28-2009, 02:34 AM
Baron Davis says he has an ulcer

Either he's in pain, or he didn't want to play the Spurs. Oh dear.

buttsR4rebounding
03-28-2009, 03:45 AM
So great to have the Big three again. I just wish there was something more that could be done for Timmy's tendonosis.

That's what Pop is doing...he could have obviously played the second half. If Pop can pull off this balancing act of resting Tim and holding on to the second seed he should get some coach of the year recognition (not that he wants it).

wijayas
03-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Besides Spurs shooting efficiency, the most remarkable stat against the Clippers, in my opinion is Turnover. Only 3 TO for the entire game. Are we that good or what? :-)

crc21209
03-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Great game by everyone tonight. Manu looked more like Manu tonight, nailing threes and making his great passes. It was good to see all 3 of them out there :tu

Manu-of-steel
03-28-2009, 08:10 AM
nice game! go spurs, tear up the hornets in the coming games. that would be a barometer on how we have improved.

Muser
03-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I was more impressed with Gooden than Manu, but Manu deserves props.

boutons_
03-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Against an 8-29 road team, the Spurs finally don't have close game, signifies nothing.

exstatic
03-28-2009, 10:49 AM

Gooden's pissing me off. The only times he's looked good is when he's been spoon fed by his teammates, last night Jacques and Manu. Probably a half dozen times in the last two or three games, he's set the pick, popped out and been WIDE open, and failed to take the jumper, giving a weak pump fake, and then not knowing what to do, and ultimately trying to take the ball into the lane solo, and basically breaking the offense.

Drew, if you pick and pop and have the open jumper, rise up and shoot it. That's what the offense is designed to do. That's what the other players are expecting. Some will already be taking 2-3 steps to get back on defense. Your big man partner will be going into the lane for a rebound, taking his man in with him and clogging it up so it's difficult for you to penetrate.

Shoot the fucking jumper.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-28-2009, 11:51 AM
NO SHIT

Bitter Tony Parker fan forum.

superbigtime
03-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Gooden's moving well without the ball. Rebounding pretty well too. I don't know what's with the Gooden hating, because he is fitting in nicely. Let's see how he does against the Hornets. Really Hilton Armstrong will be their only big because TC is out.

sook
03-28-2009, 01:33 PM
not gonna lie...the y looked damn good