PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Center Oberto Suffers Arrhythmia

duncan228
03-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Spurs center Oberto suffers arrhythmia (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_center_Oberto_suffers_arrhythmia.html)
Mike Monroe

For the second time since the start of training camp, Spurs center Fabricio Oberto has experienced an atrial fibrillation, an irregular heartbeat that required a procedure to return his heart to a regular rhythm.

Oberto will be re-examined Monday and likely will return to the lineup next week.

Friday's episode marked the third time since joining the Spurs for the 2006-07 season that Oberto has dealt with the heart irregularity. He first had it during the 2007 playoffs. The second occurrence was in October, during the preseason.

The frequency of Oberto's heart irregularities is concerning, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, but the team's medical staff has assured him the situation does not present an undue danger.

“Of course, we're concerned,” Popovich said, “but when you get seriously concerned is when it starts to happen frequently; when the bouts come closer together.

“The last one was in October. If, all of a sudden he starts getting one every three months, or four months, then we'll really start wondering what is going on.

“At this point, they've been far enough apart where, as long as he feels it and they get it back in check, he's fine.”

Oberto, who watched Friday's game against the Clippers from a seat behind the Spurs bench, reported before tipoff that he felt fine after the procedure to reset his heart rhythm.

Like fine wine: Popovich found a unique manner of categorizing Tony Parker's status among this season's candidates for NBA MVP.

Recognizing Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, Cleveland forward LeBron James and Miami guard Dwyane Wade as the clear leaders in the MVP race, Popovich said Parker belongs in the next category of candidates, much like some of the very good red wines that didn't quite make the highest rank in the very first ranking of wines, ordered in 1855 by French Emperor Napoleon III.

“If it was the 1855 classification of Bordeaux,” said Popovich, a wine connoisseur, “he'd be in the second classification.”

Two-time MVP Tim Duncan said on record Wednesday that Parker deserves consideration by voters.

“(Tony) can definitely be in the conversation, for what he's meant to the team this season,” Popovich said. “But those three guys are the guys. Make no mistake about that.”

Renewed partnership: The Spurs announced Friday that they have renewed their broadcast partnership with WOAI-AM 1200 radio, which has carried Spurs games for 31 years.

Bill Schoening will continue doing the play-by-play.

The agreement will keep the Spurs on WOAI for at least two more seasons.

bigkevrocks31
03-28-2009, 12:10 AM
i think fab should get checked out fully to see what they real problem is

or maybe retirement, although i hate to see him go

bigfan
03-28-2009, 12:13 AM
This is serious. Pop may be playing it down but if I were Fabbo I'd get this thoroughly checked. Remember Pistol Pete.

completely deck
03-28-2009, 12:17 AM
:( No wonder Fab has been quiet on Twitter

VI_Massive
03-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Like fine wine: Popovich found a unique manner of categorizing Tony Parker's status among this season's candidates for NBA MVP.

Recognizing Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, Cleveland forward LeBron James and Miami guard Dwyane Wade as the clear leaders in the MVP race, Popovich said Parker belongs in the next category of candidates, much like some of the very good red wines that didn't quite make the highest rank in the very first ranking of wines, ordered in 1855 by French Emperor Napoleon III.

“If it was the 1855 classification of Bordeaux,” said Popovich, a wine connoisseur, “he'd be in the second classification.”

Thanks for clearing that up, Pop.

Taking it to the Hole
03-28-2009, 01:08 AM
I really hope Fab is alright. I just hope this condition isn't one that forces him to have to retire,because that would be a shame. I hope everything checks out ok.

itzsoweezee
03-28-2009, 01:10 AM
i wouldn't trust anything the spurs medical staff says. their horrible track record speaks for itself.

Brutalis
03-28-2009, 01:36 AM
i wouldn't trust anything the spurs medical staff says. their horrible track record speaks for itself.

Elaborate?

Ice009
03-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I hope Fab is OK.

alchemist
03-28-2009, 02:37 AM
I think Fab might be forced to retire, this is something very serious.

ILoveOranges
03-28-2009, 02:38 AM
:depressed

mark of a champion
03-28-2009, 04:52 AM
Let's hope he gets better soon. This guy used to be our starting center but even though he's at the end of the big man rotation he still epitomizes what the spurs are about. Team 1st.

Guajalote
03-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I have the same condition as Fab. My cadiologist told me that my atrial fibrillation, in and of itself, is not life threatening. The biggest threat for me is a potential blood clot later on in life as I get older. I don't require any electrical stimulation to the heart to restore a regular beat. It takes anywhere from 12-36 hours to restore itself. He said that ventricular fibrillation is the bad condition because it can cause immediate heart failure.

The feeling of an episode of AF for me, more or less, is much like when you start down fast in an elevator or in the back of a car or bus when you go over a hump in the road. Just a light feeling in the chest and a very strange pulse, kind of like the opening drum beat to "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh. :lol

Although it's nearly impossible for me to predict, usually my episodes of AF are brought on by a combination of lack of sleep, a long period of time without eating, and sudden physical exertion. I'm guessing that he may be in a similar boat.

Here's hoping Fab recovers quite nicely and above all, stays healthy.

timvp
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I have the same condition as Fab. My cadiologist told me that my atrial fibrillation, in and of itself, is not life threatening. The biggest threat for me is a potential blood clot later on in life as I get older. I don't require any electrical stimulation to the heart to restore a regular beat. It takes anywhere from 12-36 hours to restore itself. He said that ventricular fibrillation is the bad condition because it can cause immediate heart failure.

The feeling of an episode of AF for me, more or less, is much like when you start down fast in an elevator or in the back of a car or bus when you go over a hump in the road. Just a light feeling in the chest and a very strange pulse, kind of like the opening drum beat to "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh. :lol

Although it's nearly impossible for me to predict, usually my episodes of AF are brought on by a combination of lack of sleep, a long period of time without eating, and sudden physical exertion. I'm guessing that he may be in a similar boat.

Here's hoping Fab recovers quite nicely and above all, stays healthy.
Thanks for the insight :tu

superbigtime
03-28-2009, 02:05 PM
It's just a-fib guys. He has always been successfully cardioverted to regular rhythm before. It's serious if persistent or recurrent. While it is becoming more frequent for Fab, it shouldn't be a problem if he responds like he has before.

superbigtime
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM

WTF? Seriously?

Manufan909
03-28-2009, 03:20 PM
WTF? Seriously?

Being a doctor himself, he is qualifed to make such statements... oh wait, this just in: itzoweezee has no idea what the fuck he's talking about, and must be ignored at all costs.