PDA

View Full Version : what a turnaround..

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2009, 11:59 AM
for our bench..

just a few months ago, the Spurs were known for having a weak bench with no depth..

how things have changed..

our bench is now easily one of the best in the NBA, which is kind of surprising..

Manu is Manu..we all know what he brings(well most of us..some idiots still don't)..

Kurt Thomas is easily one of the best bench big men in the NBA..I obviously want the Spurs to win the title because they're my team, but if I had to pick any other reason, it would be to get Kurt Thomas a ring..this guy is such a hard worker, deserves some glory..

Bruce Bowen is STILL a defensive stopper that will definitely be useful for playing 15-20 MPG when we need to stop somebody..not many teams have that luxury coming off the bench..

Ime Udoka has finally turned himself into a good bench player..brings energy and toughness off the bench, and is finally making some shots..

George Hill is already a defensive stopper in his 1st year..very useful for guarding the 1 and 2, which are 2 huge positions in the current NBA..

the wildcard is obviously Drew Gooden..this guy is showing a lot of potential with his individual play, and it seems like he's starting to get in sync with the team..a Manu-Gooden combination playing against other teams benches is going to be very dangerous IMO..

so the FO deserves a lot of credit here..

benefactor
03-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I mentioned in another thread that when Manu returned that the issues with the second unit would resolve themselves(namely the backup PG issue) because he would be the offensive facilitator...and last night was a prime example. Mason didn't have to worry about his horrible ball handling because all he had to do was bring the ball up and pass it to Manu then wait for an open shot. Same with Gooden. I think over these next 10 games both will learn to allow Manu to be Manu and take the opportunities that are given to them.

By the time the playoffs arrive this will be far and away the best second unit in the league.

completely deck
03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Our bench has always had depth, but without Manu, it makes things a heckuvalot harder

HarlemHeat37
03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
definitely..

Manu is obviously the creator off the bench, and he allows all of our pieces to fall into place..our bench is perfectly suited to fit our big 3, and we have the players to fit every role perfectly IMO..

it also helps that Gooden has some 1 on 1 game..

NFGIII
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I mentioned in another thread that when Manu returned that the issues with the second unit would resolve themselves(namely the backup PG issue) because he would be the offensive facilitator...and last night was a prime example. Mason didn't have to worry about his horrible ball handling because all he had to do was bring the ball up and pass it to Manu then wait for an open shot. Same with Gooden. I think over these next 10 games both will learn to allow Manu to be Manu and take the opportunities that are given to them.

By the time the playoffs arrive this will be far and away the best second unit in the league.

:tu

It was difficult watching our second unit while Manu was out but I always knew upon his return things would be right in Spursland. And I'm really looking forward to the Gooden/Manu tandem as it develops. Gooden can start for most teams in the league and and Manu for any. Most second units are going to find it very difficult when they face us. Manu's ability to break down the D and cause double teams is going to open the court for Gooden and the others. Gooden's O is much better then most second unit's D so this is going to be a plus in our favor.

Hopefully we can get some more blowouts so as to rest TD's knees and be that much more healthy come the POs.

:flag:

sook
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
my top pick for the title easily

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with all the previous posts. Manu definitely changes the whole dynamic of our second unit. The only caveat is that I really do believe that Duncan has got to be healthier if we really have a shot at taking it all. I mean, if he wakes up one morning and can't go because of the tendonosis, we're done. However, I think Pop will try to rest him as much as possible and he does seem to be improving each game. Maybe it is becoming more tolerable.:toast

TDMVPDPOY
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
if we dont go 16-0 in the playoffs, its an understatement

xtremesteven33
03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
ive been saying this for awhile but people didnt agree with me. That we would have a a deeper bench than the Lakers and that is what will put us over IMO.

AussieFanKurt
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
i agree I really hope KT can get himself a ring
lets win one for him!

Bender
03-28-2009, 07:58 PM
not to be a wet blanket, but last night was... the Clips, one of the worst teams I have seen this season.

Cry Havoc
03-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Any team that has a deep bench and suddenly loses the 6MotY will be a relatively shallow bench afterward. Heck, several players on the Spurs bench could now start for other teams.

But without Manu, our bench is only "ok" at best.

With him, it's one of the best benches in the league, if not the absolute best.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
While we looked good the other night we all have to remember.....it was against the Clippers.

Having said that, I'll take anything that looks positive from SA these days, judging by all the injuries and half hazzard rotations.

The thing with being a perennial title contender is that anything short of a championship deems the season a failure. While I do like the make up of this team, I'll be very curious to see how they stack up in a playoff series to an improved Lakers team. If the Spurs end up getting the same result as last year, then how much progress has really been made?

Either way, it's hard not be excited about George Hill this year as well as the upcoming prospects in Gist, Hairston, and Mahinmi

NewJerSpur
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
ive been saying this for awhile but people didnt agree with me. That we would have a a deeper bench than the Lakers and that is what will put us over IMO.

I don't know about our bench being deeper (I'm come to grow leery of Udoka contributing on a consistent level), but L.A.'s bench might be more suspect than they were when they became surprisingly cohesive last season. Farmar and Vujacic's play has been questionable at times this season and might not be as solid come this postseason as it was last year. Their struggles may make the timing of the Vlad-Rad trade a bit premature with what he could give the team offensively despite Ariza's emergence. Bottom line, their rotation may be a little shorter with regard to impact players if Bynum doesn't return IMO.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
For the hundredth time to all the posters who feel that a deeper SA team will put us over the Lakers......The Lakers are a much much better team this year with a healthy Ariza as well as a better bench overall.

While Bynum is still a question mark, even without him, the Lakers are going to be the obvious favorites against the Spurs. That doesn't mean the Spurs have no shot at beating them, it just means that while the Spurs made improvements in the offseason, the Lakers are just as good as they've been in a long time and that should the Spurs run into them, it's gonna take 4 virtually flawless games to take them out.

boutons_
03-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Blowing out the garbage Clips proves nothing about anything.

timtonymanu
03-28-2009, 09:16 PM
i agree I really hope KT can get himself a ring
lets win one for him!

+1 ... if any of the current Spur deserves a ring the most, it's Kurt Thomas. He was the only Sun i respected in the 07 playoffs when they challenged the Spurs. He's working really hard for the Spurs this year. Go win one for him, Spurs!

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I have not based my opinion soley on a Clipper game. I think most of us fans have been around a long time. I still feel the same about my comments on Manu's contributions to the bench, DESPITE the Clipper win.

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
+1 ... if any of the current Spur deserves a ring the most, it's Kurt Thomas. He was the only Sun i respected in the 07 playoffs when they challenged the Spurs. He's working really hard for the Spurs this year. Go win one for him, Spurs!

I agree. I also thought Kt was pretty respectable and didn't act like an ass when he was playing for the Suns.:toast

Yuixafun
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Having said that, I'll take anything that looks positive from SA these days, judging by all the injuries and half hazzard rotations.

The word is haphazard.

Just so you don't spend the rest of your life saying it wrong.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-28-2009, 09:33 PM
The word is haphazard.

Just so you don't spend the rest of your life saying it wrong.

:lol seriously

Yuixafun
03-28-2009, 09:44 PM
No problem.

I used to say 'Case and point' when it's actually 'Case IN point.'

benefactor
03-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I see the Lakers fans have joined the discussion.