PDA

View Full Version : Augmon in trouble

sickdsm
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Florida Today learned Monday that the league is investigating and taking seriously an alleged lewd comment the Orlando player made to a female TV news reporter after last Friday night's Magic loss to Minnesota at the TD Waterhouse Centre." Florida Today

"Actually, there are two incidents the NBA is investigating. The other involves Augmon shouting threatening obscenities at our own FLORIDA TODAY reporter John Denton, as well as throwing a bottle of body lotion at him, after Sunday night's loss to New Jersey. But as bad as that incident was -- and it was ugly -- it pales in comparison to what might've happened Friday night." Florida Today

"After the game against the Timberwolves, several reporters were interviewing Magic guard Jameer Nelson, who was sitting at his locker, which is adjacent to Augmon's locker. Lauren Johnson, a Central Florida News 13 reporter, lowered to a knee in front of Nelson, so as to place a microphone in front of him while also allowing cameramen a clear line of vision. That's when Local 6 News sports photographer Tee Taylor said Augmon directed a lewd comment about Johnson being on her knees in front of a player.

ChumpDumper
03-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Sexual joking in a locker room?

Say it ain't so!

Sounds like the paper has it in for Plastic Man.

Sec24Row7
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Who cares?

Honestly... what do women in a locker room of naked men expect?

They shouldn't be there in the first place.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Honestly... what do women in a locker room of naked men expect?

They shouldn't be there in the first place.

First of all, the players in the locker room are completely covered. Yes, sometimes only with towels but completely covered nevertheless.

Why shouldn't women be in the locker room if that's their job?

Maybe you shouldn't be in this forum.

Sec24Row7
03-15-2005, 02:56 PM
You have complete authority over my ability to post here.

Until you decide I can't, I will post my opinions even if I know you disagree with them.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-15-2005, 02:57 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/14/news/fortune500/fcc_abc/sheridan_nfl_storybody.jpg

Nicollete Sheridan unavailable for comment.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Why shouldn't women be in the locker room if that's their job?

Sec24Row7
03-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm not knocking women having the job of news affiilliate and covering the team.

If it was my choice and we had to be equal about everything, I would keep everyone out just so it didn't happen that women would be in the locker room.

Same thing with Men being in the locker room of Women's Soccer teams or the WNBA.

It's just not right to put athletes in that situation.

And then to get pissed at Augmon for a comment?

It's a men's locker room, those things are gonna be said if she is there or not.

It just so happens she was the subject of it, which is unfortunate, but not the molestation by any means that it apparently is being made out to be.

Kori Ellis
03-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Fair enough, you are entitled to your position.

It's just not right to put athletes in that situation.

And then to get pissed at Augmon for a comment?

It's a men's locker room, those things are gonna be said if she is there or not.

I'm not sure how she put the athletes in a bad situation. But I do agree that overblowing (ha!) Augmon's comment is unneccessary.

But for the record, the locker room is a pretty respectable place without lewd contact of any kind -- at least the Spurs locker room is.

Sec24Row7
03-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, I would imagine that the spurs locker room is fine. I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

But the Blazers locker toom?

An NFL locker room?

You have to be kidding me.

I'm reminded of an NFL owner once telling my father, "People who say all men are created equal have never been in an NFL locker room".

sickdsm
03-15-2005, 08:22 PM
No excuse for that, IMO.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Augmon's comment, if true, is not excusable.

But there is an interesting point about reporter access to locker rooms: are only women reporters allowed in women's locker rooms? If so, how is that justified?

sickdsm
03-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Guys like it when they get to show their junk off.

Guru of Nothing
03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm reminded of an NFL owner once telling my father, "People who say all men are created equal have never been in an NFL locker room".

Funny, I'm reminded of TPark.

Kori Ellis
03-16-2005, 12:58 AM
But there is an interesting point about reporter access to locker rooms: are only women reporters allowed in women's locker rooms? If so, how is that justified?

No, majority of people who cover the WNBA are men and they are allowed in the locker room. For example, I think the only women who covered the Silver Stars last season were Jennifer Bellis of the Express-News and myself.

I think people have a huge misconception about how it is in locker rooms. People aren't running around with all their goods hanging out.

I've been in tons of road team locker rooms, All-Star game locker rooms, and the Spurs locker room, I've never seen or heard anything "questionable".

I'm not saying that every team is as strict and respectable as the Spurs, but it isn't like most people believe.