PDA

View Full Version : BJ Penn to Defend Title Against Kenny Florian at UFC 101

Evan
03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
The anticipated showdown between UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn and number one contender Kenny Florian will finally take place. A blog post on Penn's official website stated that Florian has already signed his bout agreement and "as for B.J., we received the bout agreement (Friday) afternoon and plan on making this fight happen."

The post states the bout will headline UFC 101 on Aug. 8 in Philadelphia.

The bout will be Penn's first defense of his lightweight title since defeating Sean Sherk at UFC 84 in May of last year. It will also mark his first action in the Octagon since a loss to UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94 in January, which has been mired in controversy over accusations of improper usage of Vaseline by St. Pierre's camp.

"I look forward to the challenge," Penn stated about the defense.

Florian earned his title shot – the second of his UFC career – by building a current six-fight winning streak, which includes back-to-back victories over Joe Stevenson and Roger Huerta in his most recent fights. He has been waiting for this opportunity for nearly a year while the Penn vs. St. Pierre mega-fight ran its course.

Earlier this week, Florian stated, "It has been a long road back and I am very grateful for the opportunity. Rarely does one get the chance to fight for a championship belt in the UFC and it's even more infrequent to fight a legend.

"B.J. Penn has been someone I have looked up to for a long time. He has accomplished many amazing things. So I am looking forward to testing myself against one of the greatest if not the greatest lightweight fighter in the world."

The bout and event have yet to be officially announced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship, but several sources had already indicated the likelihood of UFC 101 taking place in Philadelphia instead of Portland, Ore., as first thought.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8461&zoneid=2

Evan
go Kenny

dallaskd
Kenflo will take it!

LEONARD
03-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Go back 4 yrs...did anybody think Kenny F'n Florian would stand a chance against Penn? He was the joke of TUF 1 despite getting to the finals (lucky cut on Leben). Gotta give him props for improving...

But BJ will take him if he trains for it...

Evan
03-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Go back 4 yrs...did anybody think Kenny F'n Florian would stand a chance against Penn?.

I am trying to remember a fighter who has developed better than him from TUF to badass.

dallaskd
03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Kenny should have never been at MW in the first place.

dbreiden83080
03-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Kenflo will take it!

Whoa Whoa your jumping ship on your boy, i thought BJ was your guy..

Penn should win if he comes in great shape but he seems mentally shot right now. More interested in baiting GSP into another fight than taking care of business in his division. Kenny is going to train with GSP some for this, and he is mad hungry. BJ better take it serious..

Evan
03-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Kenny should have never been at MW in the first place.

which is my only true complaint about TUF...too many in the wrong weight class

dallaskd
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Whoa Whoa your jumping ship on your boy, i thought BJ was your guy..

Penn should win if he comes in great shape but he seems mentally shot right now. More interested in baiting GSP into another fight than taking care of business in his division. Kenny is going to train with GSP some for this, and he is mad hungry. BJ better take it serious..

I have always been in support of Kenny against anyone. I wouldnt even consider BJ in my top 10 favs. I just think he's a badass and wanted him to beat GSP.

dbreiden83080
03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
I have always been in support of Kenny against anyone. I wouldnt even consider BJ in my top 10 favs. I just think he's a badass and wanted him to beat GSP.

What changed with you and Penn though? When we were talking GSP and Penn not only did you feel he would beat GSP handily but you said he would smash Alves as well. Now you got Kenny taking him?

LEONARD
03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
which is my only true complaint about TUF...too many in the wrong weight class

You almost have to fight 1 class above your normal class because you don't have enough time for big weight cuts.

dallaskd
03-28-2009, 01:20 PM
What changed with you and Penn though? When we were talking GSP and Penn not only did you feel he would beat GSP handily but you said he would smash Alves as well. Now you got Kenny taking him?

I think if Penn comes in prepared he can take anyone at LW and WW not named GSP.

Evan
03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
You almost have to fight 1 class above your normal class because you don't have enough time for big weight cuts.

Thats a really good way of putting it

dbreiden83080
04-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Just Re-watched BJ and Sherk and it's going to be mad hard for Kenny to get much done here. As long as BJ comes in shape, he is just a different animal at 155. Quicker, better cardio, more elusive, that is his best weight class by far, his ego pushed him to 170 where he doesn't belong but 155 he is the man..

How many guys at 155, can implement the gameplan GSP did to beat Penn? Push him on the fence, clinch, wear him out, take him down, GNP him, then pick him back up and strike. Nobody at 155 can do that to BJ.. Kenny doesn't have the strikes to hurt BJ, the JJ to sub him, or near the wrestling to conistantly put him down. I like Kenny but he is in for a bad night,l if Penn is focused IMO..

desflood
04-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I worry that mentally, BJ's just blown his wad. Dead and gone. I have to pick Ken for this one.

dbreiden83080
04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Penn's mental state is the wild card for sure here.. IF he comes into camp having let the GSP debacle go, he should be fine. If he is looking to make a statement, BJ can do it here..