PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Is it worth buying? It costs like 15 bucks used. I want to know if I should get it.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
if you like RPG's,yes

resistanze
03-28-2009, 02:13 PM
The game gave me a good ~25 hours of gameplay, and I can't wait for the sequel. It was probably my favorite game of 2007 (I didn't play COD4 till around X-mas/New Years).

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I like RPG elements. Like levelign up. But I hate turn based fighting. And I understand this isn't turn based.

balli
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
I just got it a few days ago and I've only put about 4 or 5 hours into it so far, but I've enjoyed it. I normally don't care about story/dialogue as much as some RPG buffs, but I've enjoyed it in this. It's fairly compelling.

The combat leaves something to be desired, but I think as I level up more it'll get better.

For 15 bucks you can't go wrong, but don't be a dumbass like me- use a class that can fire automatic rifles. I discovered my mistake too late.

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 02:30 PM
So it's a must buy?

balli
03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
For 15 bucks and an RPG man? I'd say so.

mardigan
03-28-2009, 03:03 PM
So it's a must buy?

I wouldn't say it is a must buy, but for 15 bucks and if you've got some time to kill it's pretty cool. It's got a pretty cool story, and the environments are really neat.

dirk4mvp
03-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Are you buying it from a friend or something? I haven't seen it for $15 anywhere. It looks pretty interesting, and an ideal time killer, but I wouldn't drop full price for it.

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 04:46 PM
15 at EB, used. I'm leaning towards not buying it. I still have to mail TD 10 bucks.

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I got my friend to sell it to me for 10. Awesome.

balli
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
It's kind of weird, but that was the single cheapest 360 game at Gamestop. I think it's because they just re-released new copies for $29 as a platinum hit or whatever a few days back.

Hope ya like it.

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I just got my 360 hacked, and got 2 games for a total of 50 bucks! UNBEAVABLEEE!

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 07:30 PM
hacked?

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Yup. Some black guy in South Central did it for me. All I have to do now is download the games from 360iso.com and burn them to burnt DVD's.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
rgr

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 07:33 PM
it's called flashed btw =]

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 07:34 PM
It's awesome. Any recomendations? I only have L4D and MLB 2k9 for now.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 07:37 PM
COD4, Resident evil 5

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I was gonna get RE5 from the guy, but he didn't have it burned.

And COD4 is a bit old already.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Nah COD 4 is still badass. I still play it and waiting for part 2 this year

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM
why don't you just burn your own games?

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Cause I need a DVD buner. Ima eventually get one.

balli
03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
People seem to dislike Assassins Creed, but I thought it was cool. It's damn redundant, but the rhythm based combat system's cool as hell and kept it fresh, IMO. Worth a DL and burn anyways.

I'd also recommend Baseline's darling, Bioshock.

And I'm not sure if you know this or not, sorry in advance if you do, but I hope you're not planning on connecting to Live.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
AC was alright it was just repetive having to talk to your boss everytime you got a kill and unstoppable cutscenes are always garbage.

dirk4mvp
03-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Yea, you're probably gonna get popped if you get on xbl.

IronMexican
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
People who get caught are the people who don't install the patch on the CD's. I won't be that stupid.

baseline bum
03-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Yup. Some black guy in South Central did it for me. All I have to do now is download the games from 360iso.com and burn them to burnt DVD's.

Can you play retail games on a cracked system? When I worked for a major publisher our X360 debug kits (basically a 360 + more RAM + logging capabilities) had to be flashed to either play retail games or burned games. If it was set to play burned games, you couldn't play retail and vice versa.

baseline bum
03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Cause I need a DVD buner. Ima eventually get one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135190

$20 + free shipping

resistanze
03-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Can you play retail games on a cracked system? When I worked for a major publisher our X360 debug kits (basically a 360 + more RAM + logging capabilities) had to be flashed to either play retail games or burned games. If it was set to play burned games, you couldn't play retail and vice versa.

You can play both on flashed Xboxes.

baseline bum
03-29-2009, 01:07 AM
You can play both on flashed Xboxes.

Nice.

IronMexican
03-29-2009, 01:46 AM
bb, you should flash yours. Look it up on craigslist. Most of them are in the valley.

baseline bum
03-29-2009, 02:28 AM
bb, you should flash yours. Look it up on craigslist. Most of them are in the valley.

Nah, I don't like pirated games unless they're just shit I cannot find anywhere (like arcade games or 8-bit Nintendo). To me $60 is cheap for an XBox360 game when dinky 8-bit Nintendo games that cost nothing to make were the same price (inflation-adjusted) in their day. I'd hate to see the console market dry up like the PC market has for years, due to piracy. There's too many great developers right now who I love supporting with my purchases: Valve, Infinity Ward, Bethesda, Rockstar, Epic, 2k Boston, 2k Sports, Treyarch, etc. If the industry ever gets filled with a bunch of EA's then I'll certainly feel different, but this is a golden age for gaming right now, and I'd hate to kill the goose.

I do like being able to take control of the hardware one purchases and owns though.

Avitus1
03-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Mass Effect is pretty fucking sweet. I'm not big into RPGs and I love it. I'd def. buy it.

mardigan
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
It's awesome. Any recomendations?
Dead Space.
Do it.

z0sa
03-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Mass Effect is good, just a lot of untapped potential.

BlackSwordsMan
03-30-2009, 12:39 AM
don't buy or rent star ocean
what a shitty rpg gives you like an hour intro on how to play the game

balli
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Too late for me. I played through that intro and a few minutes of the actual game and haven't touched it since. Not cool.

LockBeard
03-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I liked this game and I don't usually care for space setting games.

The fighting system is kind of mundane, and the planet hoping gets very repetitive but it's still a very cool game imo.

The PC Version crashes every 2 hours.

Fermixalot
03-30-2009, 02:16 PM

While the intro was way too long, Star Ocean really shines as you get into it...as long as you pay absolutely no attention to any of the 10-45 minute cutscenes. I'm a big fan of this game, but if the battle system absolutely carried it. Endgame is good since there is little to no story and thus no cutscenes.

But its pretty embarrassing how bad the cutscenes are considering its from such a high-end publisher like Square-Enix. I played through the game (about 30-40hrs), paid very little attention to the story and had a good experience, plus they are skippable (but not pausable). Worth at least a rental if your not a JRPG or Star Ocean fan but beware its an acquired taste.

BlackSwordsMan
03-30-2009, 03:28 PM
why can't you skip cutscenes? That's retarded I'm tired of hearing this 12 year old kid with a 45 year old man's voice

Brutalis
03-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I haven't played it, but I borrowed N4S ProStreet the other day and it sucks hard. I don't really care for racing games though really.

I need to pick up a new game to waste some time on. I'm thinking about Mass Effect, KZ1 or 2 I haven't played either. Bioshock, and Dead Space.

I want something with more than 8 hours of play time so I can pick it back up another day and such.

IronMexican
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I am starting to get into Fallout again. I just hate how scarce ammo is.

Brutalis
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM

If you have issues with ammo, when you level up choose the perk or whatever it's called that will give you twice the ammo when you do find it. I wouldn't waste one of my first 10 levels on it though, the ones you pick from the start are pretty important.

Brutalis
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Picked up Mass Effect today for 15 bucks. Actually 2 cause I traded in Rainbow 6 for it. Going to check it out when I get home later tonight.

jman3000
03-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm on my 3rd playthrough of Mass Effect currently. It plays just like a KotOR... but better. The combat system is actually perfect for me, because it mixes real time action with turn based strategy. By holding down the LB or RB you can freeze the action and either switch weapons or use biotics/techs depending on the problem at hand.

jman3000
03-31-2009, 02:33 PM
For 15 bucks you can't go wrong, but don't be a dumbass like me- use a class that can fire automatic rifles. I discovered my mistake too late.

The weapons system is pretty evenly designed. I prefer using my pistol to the assault rifle because the damage is greater per shot and if you have the right mods to it and level your pistol use up, it has similar stopping power to the shotguns. Assault rifles are a good all around weapon... but being specialized in biotics/techs more than outweighs the problem of not being able to use them.

As you get achievements you also unlock certain bonuses... like extra xp, higher shields... even the option to add certain talents that wouldn't be available to them otherwise on your next playthrough.

I'm playing now as an Engineer and it's a lot more fun than when I was a soldier or sentinel.

jman3000
03-31-2009, 02:35 PM

I think at one point I had over 500 rounds for my hunting rifle and over 5000 for the Chinese AR. I've never really had trouble finding ammo... and I never used the scavenger perk which lets you find more ammo. weird.

mardigan
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
I think at one point I had over 500 rounds for my hunting rifle and over 5000 for the Chinese AR. I've never really had trouble finding ammo... and I never used the scavenger perk which lets you find more ammo. weird.

I'm with you on that. I never really had any kind of problem finding any kind of ammo.

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM

One my last save, when I had that scavenger perk, I had a lot. This time, I took away all my luck stats, so I had no luck finding any. It was my mistake to get rid of all that luck though. I might just make a new character.

jman3000
04-01-2009, 11:05 AM
As long as you pay attention to all the shelves and scavenge every person you kill... you should be fine when it comes to ammo... if not... then sell all the ammo youre not gonna use and buy ammo you are (I usually sell all my flamer fuel, 5mm, missiles, and any energy weapon ammo)

balli
05-01-2009, 08:40 PM

Too late for me. I played through that intro and a few minutes of the actual game and haven't touched it since. Not cool.

While the intro was way too long, Star Ocean really shines as you get into it...as long as you pay absolutely no attention to any of the 10-45 minute cutscenes. I'm a big fan of this game, but if the battle system absolutely carried it. Endgame is good since there is little to no story and thus no cutscenes.

But its pretty embarrassing how bad the cutscenes are considering its from such a high-end publisher like Square-Enix. I played through the game (about 30-40hrs), paid very little attention to the story and had a good experience, plus they are skippable (but not pausable). Worth at least a rental if your not a JRPG or Star Ocean fan but beware its an acquired taste.

:tu Good advice. I got bored with CoD 4 again and on your assurance decided to tough Star Ocean out. Took me 6 or 7 spins (at least) to get into it and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. About 7 hours in and I'm starting to get a feel for the game... finally. But honestly, there's still a lot to learn. I've never played many JRPG's outside the Zelda series, if that even counts, but man, the complexity of this game and its leveling system is kicking my ass. It's fun, but I might as well be studying for the Bar exam or something. A whole hell of a lot to absorb. :dizzy

And yeah, the cut scenes absolutely suck ass, but I'm not skipping em... yet. It's kind of like sitting through a shitty movie out of spite for the fact you paid for it. Maybe I'll get fed up enough to walk out on them, but not yet.

Ballcox
05-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Also on Fallout, make sure to do a good number of side quests, that will get you more ammo and/or items you can sell and get $ for.

Make sure to also get into the museum of natural history, up on the 2nd floor in a glass case there is the Lincoln Repeater Rifle. That weapon does some major damage from medium to close distance w/ head shots.

Fermixalot
05-05-2009, 03:53 PM
:tu Good advice. I got bored with CoD 4 again and on your assurance decided to tough Star Ocean out. Took me 6 or 7 spins (at least) to get into it and now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. About 7 hours in and I'm starting to get a feel for the game... finally. But honestly, there's still a lot to learn. I've never played many JRPG's outside the Zelda series, if that even counts, but man, the complexity of this game and its leveling system is kicking my ass. It's fun, but I might as well be studying for the Bar exam or something. A whole hell of a lot to absorb. :dizzy

And yeah, the cut scenes absolutely suck ass, but I'm not skipping em... yet. It's kind of like sitting through a shitty movie out of spite for the fact you paid for it. Maybe I'll get fed up enough to walk out on them, but not yet.

Glad to see you kept playing! The battle system is really all about the cancel combos. Once you level up that ability and gain enough good combos you're unstoppable.

I sat through all the cutscenes for the same reason. I guess I was also kinda hoping they'd get better to...but they didn't :lol

As for Mass Effect, what is the battle system like exactly? I've been thinking about buying it as well.

jman3000
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM
bleh... I'm on my 5th playthrough for mass effect. i'm already getting burnt out on it because ive done these missions 4 times before already... it's on insanity so it's a lot harder.. .but it just feels like meh.

I'm gonna see if i can beat it in under 20 hours because i already know where everything is. i can't play for more than 1 mission / a couple assignments at a time because it gets old way too fast.

Cry Havoc
05-16-2009, 11:48 AM
bleh... I'm on my 5th playthrough for mass effect. i'm already getting burnt out on it because ive done these missions 4 times before already... it's on insanity so it's a lot harder.. .but it just feels like meh.

I'm gonna see if i can beat it in under 20 hours because i already know where everything is. i can't play for more than 1 mission / a couple assignments at a time because it gets old way too fast.

Wow, and it only took 4 times for it to get old? Looks like you got your money's worth. :lol

Have you tried being a renegade? It's fun, you can jack reporters right in the face and stuff.

jman3000
05-16-2009, 12:10 PM
after the 3rd playthrough I had pretty much seen and done everything.

1st playthrough was just to play it.

2nd I started going for achievements as a good guy.

3rd I played as a renegade.

4th I played to beat it on hardcore

5th I'm playing to beat it on insanity and get my last two ally achievements

6th and a half... this one wont be too bad... going to pick up the extreme power gamer achievement for reaching level 60. I have a level 56 guy I can load up and get within a couple hours.

balli
05-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I played through once, while doing a lot of side missions and could easily see it getting stale... even as a different character. Some of the best moments in that game were story driven and/or cutscenes. It's rare that in a game I watch a cutscene or in game plot development and go, "dude, that was badass." But as cool as that was, sort of a one trick pony.

I'll play through it again, but I doubt I ever go through it more than twice... maybe a third time 7 years down the road or something.

As for Mass Effect, what is the battle system like exactly? I've been thinking about buying it as well.
A mix of third person shooter that's more about taking cover/picking your spots than it is just 100% blasting your way through, and real time strategy where you're giving commands and dialing up attack/defense commands of your own.

I have nowhere near the experience of jm3000 and Havoc, but I found it a little clunky, not the controls just the feel of it. It lacked a certain weight and finesse. Which is fine, it's an RPG, not a shooter and it's certainly not bad to the point that it's a detriment to how fun the game is. It could be improved upon though... and said combat improvements are what Bioware's really hyping up for Mass Effect 2.

TimDunkem
05-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Mass Effect is pretty fucking sweet. I'm not big into RPGs and I love it. I'd def. buy it.

Same here. You can't go wrong with buying it for $10.

Mass Effect WAS overpriced because it's a little short. What's worse is Bioware has only released one extra level via DC. Hopefully that's because they're hard at work on the sequel...

z0sa
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
i'm looking forward to ME2. If they can truly improve the battle system a bit and widely extend the amount of "extra" content a la Oblivion or FO3, it could be one of the best games of all time.

TimDunkem
05-26-2009, 12:40 AM
i'm looking forward to ME2. If they can truly improve the battle system a bit and widely extend the amount of "extra" content a la Oblivion or FO3, it could be one of the best games of all time.
I can agree with that. The story was compelling.

FaithInOne
05-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I was blown away by the character face creation and how it was so seamless from gameplay to story dialogue.

But I don't play many games these days so maybe this is the norm now.

Reck
12-25-2020, 11:19 AM
*Bumping for later use.

https://youtu.be/RTlNT2KvJSg

TimDunkem
12-25-2020, 06:23 PM
CAN'T WAIT

spurraider21
12-29-2020, 02:06 PM
nice, i never played the original trilogy, this looks like something i'll have to bookmark

baseline bum
12-29-2020, 02:15 PM
nice, i never played the original trilogy, this looks like something i'll have to bookmark

One of those series I'll always say I'm going to play and then never do.

Reck
12-29-2020, 03:52 PM
One of those series I'll always say I'm going to play and then never do.

This is me basically 80% of the time. Except I buy them and just let them collect dust.

I bought Nier Automata on release date but didn't play it until early this year. :lol

Ditto with this very collection on the PS3. I have it but never actually played it. I saw it on Best Buy for 20 bucks so I took the opportunity to grab it at such cheap price.

baseline bum
12-29-2020, 04:32 PM
This is me basically 80% of the time. Except I buy them and just let them collect dust.

I bought Nier Automata on release date but didn't play it until early this year. :lol

Ditto with this very collection on the PS3. I have it but never actually played it. I saw it on Best Buy for 20 bucks so I took the opportunity to grab it at such cheap price.

That's me with Kingdom Hearts. I have 1.5 + 2.5 and 3 and have played a minute of none of them. Kind of don't even want to play anything too after finishing RDR2 a few days ago. Always hard to follow up an epic game like that.

Xevious
12-29-2020, 05:07 PM
That's me with Kingdom Hearts. I have 1.5 + 2.5 and 3 and have played a minute of none of them. Kind of don't even want to play anything too after finishing RDR2 a few days ago. Always hard to follow up an epic game like that.
The original trilogy minus the dumpster fire of an ending is still one of my favorite video game series. The fourth game was a piece of shit though. Bioware has progressively gotten worse and worse since EA purchased them.

ElNono
12-29-2020, 11:12 PM
I played all of them, the last one was a bit weak though... looking forward to this one.

That said, KOTOR is the blueprint and GOAT, imho. Just hasn’t aged well.

Reck
04-11-2021, 07:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-7-2dL0A0

Almost here and I'm stoked.

This looks really fucking good. They went above and beyond to actually improve these games. Well worth the 60 dollars.

spurraider21
04-15-2021, 09:18 PM
Mass Effect is another series i never played...

looks like this will be a nice purchase for me in a few years when its dirt cheap :tu

baseline bum
04-15-2021, 09:59 PM
Mass Effect is another series i never played...

looks like this will be a nice purchase for me in a few years when its dirt cheap :tu

And then you never play it either

spurraider21
04-15-2021, 11:04 PM
And then you never play it either
ill get there. i just have to finish the ps4 library before Ragnarok comes out

resistanze
06-12-2021, 07:38 PM
Been playing ME1 again :cry. Truly is my GOAT game tbh, I can't remember the last time I've sunken hours into a game.

baseline bum
06-13-2021, 11:38 AM
CAN'T WAIT

You see CODEX Store has it on sale?

TimDunkem
06-13-2021, 02:31 PM
You see CODEX Store has it on sale?
Already got it on Steam at a slight discount since I had the collection in my library.

baseline bum
06-13-2021, 03:44 PM
Already got it on Steam at a slight discount since I had the collection in my library.

I had the originals in my nosteam account

Reck
09-22-2021, 03:33 PM
Going for 40 bucks on the PS store until the end of the month for those interested.