PDA

View Full Version : Spurs At Hornets Previews

duncan228
03-28-2009, 03:42 PM
San Antonio (48-24) at New Orleans (44-27) Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009032903&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Sun Mar 29, 2009
TV: ESPN
By Matt Becker

At this point in the season, the San Antonio Spurs are typically in sync and gearing up for the playoffs. That strategy was derailed as they were plagued by injuries, meaning the final 10 regular-season games will be vital for improving their chemistry.

After an easy win over one of the league’s worst teams in the first game for San Antonio’s Big Three since the All-Star break, the Southwest Division-leading Spurs expect a much tougher test Sunday night against a New Orleans Hornets club that’s in the thick of the Western Conference playoff race.

With Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili on the court together for the first time since a 91-89 loss at Toronto on Feb. 11, San Antonio (48-24) defeated the Los Angeles Clippers 111-98 on Friday. The game was not as close as the final score indicated, as the Spurs led by 27 in the third quarter when coach Gregg Popovich began to empty his bench.

San Antonio is seeking its second consecutive division title and seventh in nine years, an impressive feat considering Duncan, Parker and Ginobili have missed a combined 48 games.

Ginobili had 14 points on 5-of-7 shooting and added seven assists Friday after finishing with only two points on 1-of-7 shooting in Wednesday’s 102-92 win at Atlanta - his first game since scoring 32 versus the Raptors.

“We’re back, but we aren’t back,” said Ginobili, averaging 19.5 points on 51.9 percent shooting in two games versus the Hornets (44-27) this season. “These 10 games are going to be different than the previous ones we’ve had heading into the playoffs.”

Parker led the Spurs with 18 points against the Clippers, while Duncan had 13 on 5-of-6 shooting after being given the night off Wednesday.

“It’s good to have another playmaker out there,” guard Roger Mason said. “It’s going to take a little time, but hopefully it’s enough time.”

San Antonio shot 56.1 percent from the field Friday and seems to be heading in the right direction offensively. The Spurs are averaging 106.7 points on 54.2 percent shooting during their three-game winning streak after averaging 81.0 and shooting 41.5 percent in losing their previous two.

The Hornets have the league’s fourth-best scoring defense (93.5), but they’ve allowed an average of 102.0 points in losing their last two.

New Orleans, which was eliminated by the Spurs in seven games in last season’s conference semifinals, dropped 3 1/2 games back of San Antonio in the division with Friday’s 103-93 loss at New York. The Hornets led 49-42 at halftime but things quickly fell apart as they were outscored 35-16 in the third quarter and hit with two technicals and an ejection in the fourth.

“I just think if we would have come out with that type of passion in the third quarter, then we would have won the game,” said coach Byron Scott, adding it was a “terrible” loss for a team trying to make the playoffs.

Chris Paul had 38 points on 15-of-22 shooting in the Hornets’ 106-93 loss at San Antonio on Jan. 31 after scoring 19 and handing out 12 assists in a 90-83 home win over the Spurs on Dec. 17.

The Hornets and Spurs wrap up the regular season at San Antonio on April 15.

Notes

Spurs:

Spurs lit it up from the floor, hitting 46-of-82 (56 percent). ... F Tim Duncan scored 13 points in 13 minutes. ... G Tony Parker led the way with 18 points in 17 minutes on 8-of-10 shooting. ... F Drew Gooden and G Manu Ginobili each scored 14 points in reserve roles. ... San Antonio lit up the Clippers for 39 points in each of the first and third quarters.

Hornets:

F David West scored 29 points for New Orleans, which has lost two in a row following a three-game winning streak. G Chris Paul finished with 22 points and 10 assists and even got into a bit of a scuffle with the New York Knicks' Nate Robinson. ... The Hornets then lost G-F James Posey a few minutes later after he was ejected for throwing the ball at referee Gary Zielinski, hitting him in the right foot, after Zielinski called a foul on him.

Team Stat Leaders

Tony Parker SA 21.9
Chris Paul NO 22.2

Rebounds

Tim Duncan SA 10.5
Tyson Chandler NO 8.9

Assists

Tony Parker SA 6.9
Chris Paul NO 10.9

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 48-24 1st Southwest / 2nd West 97.0 93.0 Road 22-13 Won 3 6-4

New Orleans 44-27 3rd Southwest / 7th West 95.8 93.5 Home 26-11 Lost 2 5-5

Muser
03-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for posting all the previews before every game duncan228 :toast

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm going to enjoy this game.:toast

Bruno
03-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm curious to see who Pop will put on Paul when Parker is on the bench.

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 06:04 PM

That's going to be interesting alright.:wakeup

Allanon
03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
My bets on Hill guarding Paul. I hope Pop doesn't use Mason on Paul.

Should be a good game along with the Dallas/Cavs game.

TMTTRIO
03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
By the way what is always up with New Orleans? First there was the plance incident last year where they had to sleep on the plane and now Manu was just on his facebook and said that they just arrived at their hotel and there was no power until further notice.

timvp
03-28-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm curious to see who Pop will put on Paul when Parker is on the bench.Good point. I imagine Pop going to that Mason/Manu/Hill lineup that has Hill playing small forward on offense and point guard on defense.

As long as Pop doesn't do something crazy like put Udoka on him. Even Mason wouldn't be a horrible option to throw at Paul.

xtremesteven33
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Hill on Paul is gonna be fun to watch.

Im looking for a HUGE game from Parker.

timaios
03-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Not to mention those assholes almost burnt the building down on some pre-game show during the playoffs last season. It took like an hour to clean up that mess. And those clowns only had one floor mob and broom in the whole building.

It was during the game, after a TO ! :downspin:

bigdog
03-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I can't wait to see that wuss Chris Paul get irritated by George Hill's defense. I hope he acts like he did with Nate Robinson and gets a couple of T's.

Bruno
03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Paul destroyed Hill in their last meeting.

Playing Mason, a player with enough size to defend swingmen, at PG allows a lot of things matchup wise.
Pop could use a Mason/Ginobili/Bowen and put Bowen on Paul without having a mismatch.
Against some teams, Pop could also hide Manu on a weak PG without a problem.

As timvp said after the Clippers game, Spurs have tons of options, especially on the perimeter, and it's time for Pop to make his choices. We could have some answers after the Hornets game. If Pop doesn't put Hill on Paul when Parker is out (providing Paul is on the court when Parker is on the bench), it could mean that Hill will spend the playoffs in the doghouse.

alchemist
03-28-2009, 07:49 PM
with a Suns L tonight and a Spurs W tomorrow they'll finally clinch a playoff berth :toast

all blacks
03-28-2009, 07:53 PM
i'm new... sorry for my horryble english guys, ok?
i hope that Pop give up more minutes in the floor to Gooden... i wish view more participation especialy in connection with Manu in the second team...

Bruno
03-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Tim has only played 38 min over the last 3 games. Hornets are also without Chandler so I expect a big game for Tim even with his knees troubles.

timvp
03-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Paul destroyed Hill in their last meeting. That was more of a fault of the gameplan. Pop had Hill going under the screens and Paul responded by hitting five three-pointers against the strategy. Hill actually did a pretty good job of recovering out to the shot ... Paul was just on fire.

I expect the same strategy tomorrow. In the playoffs, that strategy wasn't too effective because Paul would use the extra space created by going under the pick to find Chandler rolling to the basket for alleyoops. Without Chandler, that strategy puts the pressure on Paul to score 30+ points to win.

As for going under the pick and recovering to the shooter, Pop has said that Parker is the best on the team at doing that. Even better than Bowen. Comparing Hill to him early in his rookie year isn't really fair.

AussieFanKurt
03-28-2009, 08:47 PM
If mason guards paul, I might cry
Hill or Bowen are probably my preference.

NewJerSpur
03-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Let's do our part in knocking New Orleans permanently down to the 8th seed so they can get healthy and face the Lakers in the 1st round. Of all the bottom feeders (to this point) they may have the very best chance of giving L.A. the most trouble.

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 09:23 PM

:tu

Thomas82
03-28-2009, 09:29 PM

My bets on Hill guarding Paul. I hope Pop doesn't use Mason on Paul.

Should be a good game along with the Dallas/Cavs game.

Good point. I imagine Pop going to that Mason/Manu/Hill lineup that has Hill playing small forward on offense and point guard on defense.

As long as Pop doesn't do something crazy like put Udoka on him. Even Mason wouldn't be a horrible option to throw at Paul.

I agree with all of these, and I think we need to turn Chris Paul into a scorer and limit his assists. IMO, that would be crucial for us tomorrow.

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Not to mention those assholes almost burnt the building down on some pre-game show during the playoffs last season. It took like an hour to clean up that mess. And those clowns only had one floor mob and broom in the whole building.

:tu
Fricking New Orleans voodoo. How can the damn hotel not have power? What a bunch of shit.

duncan228
03-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Sunday: Spurs (48-24) at Hornets (44-27) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Sunday_Spurs_48-24_at_Hornets_44-27.html)
Express-News

Time: 7 p.m.
TV: ESPN, FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - HORNETS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr) - 3 Chris Paul (6-0, 4th yr)
Parker averaging 26.3 points in past 10 games; Paul averaging 26.8.

SG - 8 Roger Mason Jr. (6-5, 5th yr) - 45 Rasual Butler (6-7, 7th yr)
Return of Ginobili to second unit should ease Mason’s transition as backup PG.

SF - 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr) - 32 Julian Wright (6-8, 2nd yr)
Hornets need more from inconsistent Wright with Chandler, Stojakovic out.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr) - 30 David West (6-9, 2nd yr)
Most significant Duncan stat from Clips game: Zero second-half minutes.

C - 15 Matt Bonner (6-10, 5th yr) - 12 Hilton Armstrong (6-11, 3rd yr)
Sore left ankle will determine Armstrong’s availability, effectiveness.

SPURS RESERVES

12 Bruce Bowen, F, 6-7, 13th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 7th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
90 Drew Gooden, F, 6-10, 8th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr

HORNETS RESERVES

4 Sean Marks, C/F, 6-10, 3rd yr
23 Devin Brown, G/F, 6-5, 7th yr
33 Melvin Ely, F, 6-10, 7th yr
50 Antonio Daniels, G, 6-4, 12th yr
9 Morris Peterson, F/G, 6-7, 9th yr
41 James Posey, F, 6-8, 9th yr
45 Ryan Bowen, F, 6-9, 9th yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Hornets: Byron Scott

INJURIES

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi (right ankle surgery) and Fabricio Oberto (atrial fibrillation) are out.

Hornets: Tyson Chandler (inflamed left ankle) is out. Peja Stojakovic (back spasms), Armstrong (left ankle) and Posey (left elbow) are day-to-day.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Mahinmi, Oberto, Malik Hairston

Hornets: Chandler, Stojakovic

NOTABLE

Spurs have won three in a row heading into this key Western Conference/Southwest Division showdown with Hornets. The two teams have split two meetings so far this season, with each team winning on its home floor. ... Chandler has been fitted for a walking boot and is expected to miss another week or two. Hornets could be even more shorthanded: Armstrong left Friday’s loss to New York with a left ankle injury, and Posey is likely to be suspended by the league for throwing the ball at official Gary Zielinski.

- Jeff McDonald

duncan228
03-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Hornets At A Big Disadvantage Against San Antonio Spurs (http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/03/big_disadvantage.html)
by John Reid

With the Hornets' playoff positioning at stake, starting center Tyson Chandler is sidelined for up to two weeks. Forward Peja Stojakovic's sore back continues to keep him out of the lineup. And the Hornets lost to the New York Knicks on Friday night, a team that had lost six consecutive games

If that is not enough to make Coach Byron Scott concerned, the Hornets have a crucial home game tonight against San Antonio Spurs, and top reserve James Posey could be out with a sore left elbow. Posey also could be suspended by the league for throwing the ball out of frustration at referee Gary Zielinski's feet in the fourth quarter Friday night, causing his ejection.

In an 8-of-34 shooting slump in the previous five games, Posey was hit on his elbow, and it swelled after Friday's game, Scott said. An MRI exam was performed on the elbow Saturday, and he did not practice.

"We don't know if that means ligaments are messed up in there or what. We just have to wait and see, " Scott said Saturday.

Scott said Posey was frustrated before his ejection -- like several other players -- after the Hornets blew a 12-point lead. The Knicks outscored the Hornets 35-16 in the third quarter in the 103-93 victory at Madison Square Garden.

"He is a very composed guy, but we have four or five guys who are just frustrated, " Scott said. "We have to put that behind us. But it's always frustrating when you lose games like that, especially with what is at stake.

"We need to have some guys to help David West and C.P. (Chris Paul). Those two guys are playing like All Stars. It might be putting too much pressure on some of the guys, but they are going have to step up."

Starting last week as the fifth seed in the Western Conference, the Hornets have slipped to seventh after consecutive losses. With 11 games remaining in the regular season, the Hornets continue to struggle with keeping leads and are allowing guards to penetrate the lane for layups.

Opponents are double-teaming Paul once he penetrates the lane, which has forced the Hornets to attempt more perimeter shots. New Orleans made six of 20 3-point attempts against the Knicks and went 5-of-13 on 3-point attempts in last Wednesday's loss to Denver. Before those two games, the Hornets were shooting 29.1 (43-of-148) in the previous 10 since Stojakovic has been sidelined.

"Teams are trying to pressure C.P. and double team D-West, and I've got to step up and help in that area to make 20-foot shots, " said small forward Julian Wright, who has been starting in place of Stojakovic. "If I can make those shots, it would put pressure on the defense."

The Spurs, who have the second-best record in the Western Conference behind the Los Angeles Lakers, are on a three-game winning streak. If the playoff seeding remains as it is now, the Spurs would face the Hornets in the first round in a rematch of last season's second-round series won by San Antonio in seven games.

The Hornets are just 2 1/2 games ahead of eighth-seeded Dallas. After the Spurs, New Orleans plays seven of its remaining 10 games on the road. The Hornets have upcoming games against playoff contenders Utah, Miami, Dallas and Houston before closing out the regular season at San Antonio on April 15.

"It's a big game for us, " said Paul, referring to the Spurs game tonight. "We're 1-1 against them right now, and we still have an opportunity to catch them. We need to win. They're all must-wins. We are just trying to get to the playoffs. It's not always necessarily about the seeding; you just have to get there first. I think it's all about getting a playoff spot right now."

Before the regular season began, the Hornets (44-27) mostly talked about exceeding the accomplishments of last season, when they won a franchise-record 56 games. Their objective was to make the NBA Finals for the first time. However, they have been unable to avoid injuries. Chandler is wearing a cast because of tendon swelling and irritation in his inflamed left ankle.

Stojakovic said after Saturday's practice that despite working out, he still feels a stinging pain that extends from his lower back to his leg. But the Hornets received good news Saturday when center Hilton Armstrong practiced without limitations. In Friday's game, Armstrong slightly sprained his left ankle after stepping on the foot of Zielinski. Scott played Armstrong briefly in the third quarter before taking him out because he was unable to move effectively.

"It's back to normal now, and I have no problem, " said Armstrong, who also is playing with a cut right ring finger that required five stitches last week. "I love playing against San Antonio just because of Tim Duncan. He's one of the best big men to play, and every time I play against him, I learn something from him. I'm looking forward to it."

Duncan did not play last week against the Atlanta Hawks, resting his sore knees. The Spurs' big three of Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Duncan played in Friday's 111-98 victory for the first time since Feb. 11. Ginobili returned last week after missing 19 games with a sprained right ankle.

"Every way you look at it, it's a big game, " Scott said. "We have to do everything in our power to get ready and give an unbelievable effort."

NRHector
03-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Obi Wun Ginobili is gonna have to use the force against the evil dark side of the Hornets voodo and Chris Paul

Mal
03-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Kick their asses

Manu-of-steel
03-29-2009, 08:42 AM
time to kick paul's ass! go tonytimmanu!

orantom
03-29-2009, 08:46 AM
i would rather TD have another rest...

rapliketp
03-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Spurs have to only turn up to the game to collect a W. The Hornets are that bad, they're a fake playoff team right now.

shelshor
03-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. Mar 29, 2009
San Antonio @ New Orleans: E. Rush, M. Boland, D. Jones

de Soto
03-29-2009, 10:04 AM
This will be an easy win for the Spurs. The Hornets are done.

Bukefal
03-29-2009, 11:38 AM
I agree on tim duncan having a rest, let him sit on the bench! Anyway, we will kick ass, go tony!!! steal the show again

new_N_town
03-29-2009, 11:51 AM
i dont know how duncan sitting down will help us???

will_spurs
03-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Any idea on an internet feed? It's not broadcast in Argentina apparently :(

exstatic
03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
i would rather TD have another rest...

I agree on tim duncan having a rest, let him sit on the bench! Anyway, we will kick ass, go tony!!! steal the show again

You can't continue to "Rest Tim" if you want him to play 40 minutes in the playoffs like he usually does. There is only 1 more B2B, and I anticipate Pop sitting him for one of those games. Other than that, he actually needs more minutes to build up stamina for the playoffs.

duncan228
03-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Hornets host Spurs in key Southwest Division matchup (http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4222927)

(Sports Network) - The reeling New Orleans Hornets welcome San Antonio to the Big Easy tonight for a key Southwest Division affair.

The Spurs lead the Southwest by one game over the Houston Rockets, while the Hornets reside in third place, 3 1/2 games behind the leaders.

The Hornets dropped their second straight game in New York on Friday when Al Harrington went 5-for-11 from three-point range for 23 points, helping the Knicks snap a six-game losing streak with a 103-93 victory over New Orleans.

Chris Paul totaled 22 points and 10 assists for New Orleans, which has lost two in a row on the heels of a three-game winning streak. David West chipped in 29 points and Julian Wright 11 with 14 boards for the Hornets, who scored just 44 points in the second half.

James Posey, who finished with seven points, was ejected late in the fourth quarter for throwing the ball at referee Gary Zielinski.

"It's tough, it's tough, but we've been through this situation before and other guys have been stepping up," said Paul after the game. "We can't relax...all those teams are catching us, so we got to pick it up."

New Orleans is currently occupying the seventh slot in the jumbled Western Conference playoff standings but is just 2 1/2 games out of the third spot.

The Spurs, meanwhile, earned their third straight win Friday when Tony Parker scored a team-high 18 points and six other Spurs scored in double-figures as San Antonio cruised past the Los Angeles Clippers, 111-98, at the AT&T Center.

Manu Ginobili registered 14 points and seven assists, while Tim Duncan and Michael Finley went for 13 and 11 points, respectively, for San Antonio.

The Spurs were missing center Fabricio Oberto because of an irregular heartbeat and he is expected to be out at least one more game. San Antonio has now won 12 straight over the Clippers and 13 in a row over LA at home.

Matt Bonner and Kurt Thomas each had 10 points in the win.

New Orleans, which was eliminated by the Spurs in seven games during last season's conference semifinals, has split a pair of games with San Antonio this season with each club winning on its home floor. The Hornets are 26-11 in the Big Easy, while the Spurs are 22-13 on the road.

These two teams will also wrap up the regular season in the Alamo City on April 15.

duncan228
03-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Any idea on an internet feed? It's not broadcast in Argentina apparently :(

Sorry. From the FAQ's stickied at the top of the Forum.

Game Links - Don't ask for links to online broadcasts for the games, and don't post such links. These sites are breaking copyright laws by broadcasting them.

NIH
03-29-2009, 12:11 PM
This one is probably going to get ugly. No Posey, Peja, or Chandler and Hilton Armstrong won't be 100% although he should play. Sean freaking Marks is our only depth up front.

Mel_13
03-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Posey suspended 1 game for incident with ref

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j8FZWlWnly8T_NzKNz-vourTwrXAD977QEM00

DPG21920
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM
This one is probably going to get ugly. No Posey, Peja, or Chandler and Hilton Armstrong won't be 100% although he should play. Sean freaking Marks is our only depth up front.

These are seemingly the games that are very close. They play to the level of their opponent. Plus, when you have CP3 you have a chance and West plays like Kareem against the Spurs.

NIH
03-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Hopefully so, our outlook from here out is pretty grim.

Spursfan092120
03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
This will be an easy win for the Spurs. The Hornets are done.
Damnit..don't jinx us.

Spursfan092120
03-29-2009, 12:43 PM
You can't continue to "Rest Tim" if you want him to play 40 minutes in the playoffs like he usually does. There is only 1 more B2B, and I anticipate Pop sitting him for one of those games. Other than that, he actually needs more minutes to build up stamina for the playoffs.
+1 :tu

duncan228
03-29-2009, 12:46 PM
There are two back-to-backs left. Pop said he would like to rest Duncan for one game of each.

April 7 @ Thunder
April 8 vs. Blazers

April 12 @ Kings
April 13 @ Warriors

duncan228
03-29-2009, 01:03 PM
NBA sidelines Posey for game against Spurs (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

The Hornets will be without key reserve James Posey for tonight's game against the Spurs.

The NBA has suspended Posey one game without pay for throwing the ball at the feet of official Gary Zielinski during New Orleans' loss at New York on Friday. Zielinski had whistled Posey for a foul when the incident occurred, at the 5:46 mark of the fourth quarter. Posey fired the ball at the referee, who promptly ejected the New Orleans guard.

After the game, Posey told reporters he meant to throw a bounce pass to Zielinski.

"It was a bounce pass," Posey told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "It just happened to hit his foot."

The NBA, obviously, disagreed. Posey will serve the suspension tonight, when the Spurs visit New Orleans Arena for a critical Western Conference game.

The Hornets will already be without starting center Tyson Chandler (left ankle sprain) and could be without sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic (back spasms).

They could also be without Hilton Armstrong, Chandler's primary backup. If they are, Zielinski could be partially blamed for that one, too. Armstrong left the loss in New York with a twisted ankle after stepping on Zielinski's foot.

duncan228
03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
New Orleans Hornets vs. San Antonio Spurs, by the numbers (http://blog.nola.com/hornetsbeat/2009/03/new_orleans_hornets_vs_san_ant_2.html)

jdev82
03-29-2009, 01:19 PM

whats wrong with rmj?
hes no bowen but hes a good perimeter defender. hill is still developing. id rather he guarded paul than kobe because of size, but hes been doing good on all sizes of 2s and 1s. as has mason in most games.

will_spurs
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry. From the FAQ's stickied at the top of the Forum.

Oops, sorry about that.