PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reasons Spurs Have A Chance At #5

Thomas82
03-28-2009, 03:50 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/146067-5-reasons-the-san-antonio-spurs-have-a-chance-of-winning-the-2009-nba-title

Five Reasons the San Antonio Spurs Have a Chance of Winning the 2009 NBA Title

by Shaunte Renee (Contributor)
March 27, 2009

I am a die-hard San Antonio Spurs fan and I believe they have a great shot at grabbing the NBA Championship once more. In fact I have five reasons why.

5. Luck of the Draw

The race in the West is starting to shape up and it looks like the Spurs could be facing the Portland Trail Blazers in the first round of the playoffs.

If the Spurs can hold onto the second spot and Portland the seventh spot, San Antonio will be very happy because not only will they have home-court advantage, but they will be facing a young and inexperienced team that hasn't been in the playoffs since 2003.

The Spurs will not take the Trail Blazers lightly because Portland has beaten them twice this season, but the playoffs are a different animal. Thus, you have to favor the Spurs’ chances.

I’m not saying that if they beat the Trail Blazers, the road to the Finals will be easier, but it's better for them than some of the other top teams who will have tougher opponents in the first round.

One of these teams is the Los Angeles Lakers, who could be facing the Dallas Mavericks.

Even though the Mavericks haven't played well in the playoffs, they will look forward to being the underdog with nothing to lose.

The Mavericks probably won't beat the Lakers but could give them a run for their money, which bodes well for the Spurs being that the Lakers remain their only real threat at making it back to the Finals.

4. It's 2009

Oh yes; it's an odd year and everyone knows what that means. It's the Spurs’ year.

With titles in 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007, you just can't bet against them in an odd year.

Enough said.

3. Depth

Yes, the Spurs have been plagued with injuries all season long, but if they can get healthy, they have one of the deepest squads in the Western Conference.

With Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, Drew Gooden, George Hill, and Kurt Thomas the team is loaded with depth. All of these guys can create great things for the Spurs coming off the bench. The best thing they will have in their favor is experience.

Most of these guys are veterans to the game and will help players like George Hill deal with the pressure of competing in the playoffs.

2. The Big Three

When these guys are healthy and on their game they are one of the best big three's in the league.

Tony Parker has had the most consistent season out of the three, leading in scoring with 21.9 points per game, seven assists per game, and has carried the team many times this season. A prime example is the Spurs’ victory over the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday with 42 points and 10 assists.

If he can keep this up for the remainder of the season, expect his game to rise to another level come playoff time.

If Ginobili can get back to his old self before his ankle injury and Tim Duncan can get over his knee problem come May, everybody better watch out.

1. Experience

Experience helped the San Antonio Spurs overcome the New Orleans Hornets last year and expect them to put it to good use yet again.

The one thing about this team that I admire so much is that they don't buckle under great pressure. They have been there before so they know how to deal with it. Experience plays a role in that quality.

They know what it takes to win in the playoffs and their experience gives them a slight edge over their opponents.

If you don't agree give some of your own reasons as to why the Spurs may prevail or fail to obtain another NBA title.

:flag: + :spam: = :lobt:

duncan228
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
It's Bleacher Report's match to:

Five Reasons the San Antonio Spurs Will Fold in the Conference Semifinals

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120738

They've covered all bases.

Chris
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
here's 5 reasons
1.Duncan
2.Parker
3.Ginobili
4.Defense
5.Pop

Thomas82
03-28-2009, 04:09 PM
here's 5 reasons
1.Duncan
2.Parker
3.Ginobili
4.Defense
5.Pop

I like those reasons.

BlackSwordsMan
03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
1.Duncan
2.Manu
3.Parker

romain.star
03-28-2009, 04:29 PM
i see a unique reason:

health

Spursmania
03-28-2009, 04:33 PM
here's 5 reasons
1.Duncan
2.Parker
3.Ginobili
4.Defense
5.Pop

I would add bench depth.

ace3g
03-28-2009, 04:37 PM
the only mistake I noticed, is that right now, the Hornets are currently in 7th place

the Hornets, Blazers, and Jazz are all within .5 games of each other; and I could easily see positions 4-8 change drastically before the end of the season

poop
03-28-2009, 04:44 PM
the only mistake I noticed, is that right now, the Hornets are currently in 7th place

the Hornets, Blazers, and Jazz are all within .5 games of each other; and I could easily see positions 4-8 change drastically before the end of the season

exactly, no point in speculating now, the seeds change on a daily basis

Galileo
03-28-2009, 04:46 PM
1. Duncan
2. Parker
3. Manu
4. Pop
5. odd numbered year

Sigz
03-28-2009, 04:57 PM
lets just hope eva sucks tony off as good as she did in 07.

Manufan909
03-28-2009, 05:26 PM
3. Depth

Yes, the Spurs have been plagued with injuries all season long, but if they can get healthy, they have one of the deepest squads in the Western Conference.

With Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley, Drew Gooden, George Hill, and Kurt Thomas the team is loaded with depth. All of these guys can create great things for the Spurs coming off the bench. The best thing they will have in their favor is experience.

Most of these guys are veterans to the game and will help players like George Hill deal with the pressure of competing in the playoffs.

I hope those are the bench players come the 2nd round, or at least against LAL/CC/BC, so Bruce can start on Kobe, Lebron, and Pierce. He can only hope to shut down the first 2, but I think he can make Pierce his bitch, a la Peja last POs. Maybe not to that extent though.
:bking

new_N_town
03-28-2009, 06:11 PM
lets just hope eva sucks tony off as good as she did in 07.

hihihihihihihihih :blah and swallows this time

Typhoon
03-28-2009, 07:34 PM
1.Parker
2.Duncan
3.Manu
4.Defense
5.Pop

Parker been playing really good, consistent basketball, if he can keep playing like this and Duncan/Manu stay healthy Spurs are going all the way. :lobt2:

Thomas82
03-28-2009, 09:24 PM
i see a unique reason:

health

1. Duncan
2. Parker
3. Manu
4. Pop
5. odd numbered year

1.Parker
2.Duncan
3.Manu
4.Defense
5.Pop

Parker been playing really good, consistent basketball, if he can keep playing like this and Duncan/Manu stay healthy Spurs are going all the way. :lobt2:

+1

:flag: + :spam: = :lobt:

new_N_town
03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
watchin nba on abc pre-game n i just heard rick barry say SPURS STILL DONT HAVE A CHANCE AGAINST THE LAKERS EVEN WITH A HEALTHY MANU

looks like he is still hurting cuz we let go hiz ol head brother hahaha

LaMarcus Bryant
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
ehhhh we need kobe to break a knee for us to get to the finals this year

Horse
03-29-2009, 12:33 PM
watchin nba on abc pre-game n i just heard rick barry say SPURS STILL DONT HAVE A CHANCE AGAINST THE LAKERS EVEN WITH A HEALTHY MANU

looks like he is still hurting cuz we let go hiz ol head brother hahaha

Dumbest thing I've heard in a long while. What a fucking moron. We go up 20 in game 1 and can't finish cause of the timing bullshit the league put on us and a really tough hornets series. I guarantee if we played la in the 2nd round or if Manu was not hurt we would've beat em. I think we need to let kobe get his and do everything to stop everyone else especially pau. Just like we did to lebron in 07.
:flag:

new_N_town
03-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Dumbest thing I've heard in a long while. What a fucking moron. We go up 20 in game 1 and can't finish cause of the timing bullshit the league put on us and a really tough hornets series. I guarantee if we played la in the 2nd round or if Manu was not hurt we would've beat em. I think we need to let kobe get his and do everything to stop everyone else especially pau. Just like we did to lebron in 07.
:flag:

lol saddle up rick barry he loves riding kobes dick :lmao:lmao and dont forget spurs slept on the tarmac inside a grounded plane rite b4 game 1 that was BS :ihit and lol we just need 2 stop pau and let kobe get his im not worried about walton/farmer and the rest of the bitches