PDA

View Full Version : History, Stats Help Rose's Shot At Rookie Of Year

duncan228
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
History, stats help Rose's shot at rookie of year (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-29-bulls-bits-chicago-mar29,0,5408767.story)
By K.C. Johnson

A sheepish Derrick Rose consistently acts as if he'd rather accept rookie hazing than talk about his chances to win the Rookie of the Year Award.

Nevertheless, there is historical and statistical precedent for Rose to win, especially if the Bulls make the playoffs.

Since 1980-81, the No. 1 overall pick has made the playoffs as a rookie just six times. Three of those players — David Robinson, Chris Webber and Tim Duncan — won rookie of the year. Hakeem Olajuwon, Andrew Bogut and Andrea Bargnani are the three who made the playoffs but did not win the award.

Rose would be the first guard in that time frame to be the top pick and make the playoffs since.

"If I win the award," Rose said, "I want it to be because we made the playoffs. My statistics mean nothing."

Actually, they do.

With averages of 16.4 points, 6.2 assists and 3.8 rebounds, Rose is vying to become just the eighth rookie in NBA history to average at least 16 points, 6.0 assists and 3.5 rebounds. Five of the seven players who have accomplished this — Oscar Robertson, Damon Stoudamire, Allen Iverson, Steve Francis and Chris Paul — were rookies of the year.

dirk4mvp
03-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Being in a big market also helps.

Lars
03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I see him being Steve Francis esque. Hopefully less flameout.

sook
03-28-2009, 08:08 PM
^yup