2 Brown
3 Howell III
3/4 Horry
4 Rose
4/5 Massenburg

IR
2 Sato
4/5 Marks

The Spurs would seem to have one roster spot available most likely. Perhaps the Spurs should think about adding a 3rd point guard for IR (AJ as player/coach?) or see if they could find a better perimeter player than Thurston Howell III. If the Spurs do land Evil then barring a trade perhaps Massenburg starts the season on IR. Call me crazy but Lucious Harris wouldn't be a bad addition. I get nervous when the Spurs are made up of too many 'specialized' role players (if you will) and not enough basketball players.

Solid D
09-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Guard Valter Monteiro makes 15.

KoriEllis
09-20-2004, 12:33 AM
I am wondering what the status of Sato is. He left in July to tend to visa business in Africa, then we've seen nothing reported since.

I wonder if everything was straightened out and he's in the US. If he is, it will be interesting to see if he makes the roster. I know they are high on his rebounding ability from his position with that long wingspan. But his contract is only partially guaranteed, so it's not a lock that he'll be on the team.

If Malone signs with the Spurs, I would think that Massenburg gets released and they pick up a backup point guard or something. I don't think they'd keep all those bigs. But who knows?

Pop said recently that Linton III has a spot on the team unless a fluke happens (he completely busts). They view him as a long version of Bruce.

KoriEllis
09-20-2004, 12:34 AM
Montiero isn't guaranteed though, right? (Isn't that what Pop said on The Ticket?)

Solid D
09-20-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't recall him saying that but I do know Pop acted like he couldn't remember his name, when Don asked about him. He said that he was this year's Larry Ayuso.

SpursFanInAustin
09-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Tommy, about AJ being player/coach. He's already signed with the Mavs for a 1 yr deal.

KoriEllis
09-20-2004, 02:15 AM
Actually I don't think he's signed with the Mavs yet. But he's expected to be shortly.

SAmikeyp
09-20-2004, 02:27 PM
"Mr. Snuffleupagus"?

:lol

Brodels
09-20-2004, 03:40 PM
There isn't as much firepower on the bench as it might seem. Brent Barry is the only guard with any kind of extensive experience and scoring ability. Beno is still a question mark until he does something positive on the court and Sato may not even make the team. Brown took huge strides last season, but is he ready to step up? He still shoots the ball almost every time he touches it ala Ron Mercer.

Linton will be fine, but he isn't going to provide much scoring at the SF spot. Up front, there are still questions. Does Horry have much left in the tank? Will Rose get a chance, and if he does, will he respond by playing within himself? Is Massenburg going to be useful in any way? Beyond Duncan, there really isn't a single other big man on the team with any kind of post game. Horry may still be able to provide something in this regard, but that's uncertain.

I feel very good about the starting five and Barry (assuming that Manu starts over him). After that, it's about veterans nearing the end of their careers and young, somewhat unproven guys. Barry still has some game in him. Rose is the only bench player in his prime. If he gets the time and responds well, I'll feel a lot better about the bench.

But that might not happen. I'm all for filling the last roster spot with a vet like Harris. Pick up someone who understands the game and might have something left in the tank. We're only talking about a minimum salaried player here, so we can't expect much. But call up Harris.

Das Texan
09-20-2004, 04:02 PM
as long as malik and pop arent gonna be stupid again this year, our depth will be fine off the bench.

Brodels
09-20-2004, 04:59 PM
as long as malik and pop arent gonna be stupid again this year, our depth will be fine off the bench.

Well, that's a big "if." It didn't work out last year, so it's not anywhere near certain that it will work out this season. I'll reserve any optimism until Christmas.

Tommy Duncan
09-20-2004, 05:28 PM
The bench is not really proven outside of Barry, Horry, Rose, and Massenburg, with Massenburg's contributions likely to be slim to none next season.

If Udrih pans out (capable of playing 15 solid minutes a night) and DBrown continues to develop then the Spurs' bench will be just fine.

But the Spurs' perimeter clearly does not have experienced depth. Hence the reason I think it would be best for them to add one more quality perimeter player. Jon Barry would have been nice, though I'm not sure if the Spurs could have afforded him.

A lot is riding on Udrih and Brown for next season.

Solid D
09-20-2004, 05:30 PM
One other comment regarding the topic "The Last Roster Spot": The Spurs may not start camp with 15 guys. Even though Valter Monteiro is the 15th announced player, the Spurs have started camp several years with more than 15 players. I think last year they started with 16 with Earnest Brown, Dan Langhi and Igor Rakocevic (very quickly cut), bringing up the rear.

The Spurs may not be done, espeicially if Beno looks like he is going to be slow to recover from the knee sprain.

Another outside "hitman" as Pop terms it, might be nice.

Tommy Duncan
09-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Yes, I assumed they would make full use of IR.

Another outside "hitman" as Pop terms it, might be nice.

Harris, Lucious.

spurster
09-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Howell III? That's Linton Johnson III to anyone who didn't get it.

Assuming no injuries, I would assume a playoff rotation of Parker/Barry at PG and Manu/Bowen/Brown at swingman, but certainly during the season, the Spurs will need some contribution from Beno and "Howell".

ChumpDumper
09-20-2004, 06:39 PM
Lucious Harris is a pipe dream: he has no reason to sign with the Spurs. There's more money and PT for him elsewhere (read: Denver).

If we want to shore up scoring at the SF spot, look to John Wallace, Lee Nailon or DerMarr Johnson if Zeke can't get him back. Hell, float Rodney White a guaranteed offer.

Do we have a better deal for AJ than Dallas?

No.

Think Anthony Goldwire, Doug Overton or Darrick Martin as vets who would hold a place for Beno if he's injured.

ducks
09-20-2004, 07:03 PM
would timvp renew his season tickets if aj was signed and mailman was signed?

timvp
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Yes.

Solid D
09-20-2004, 07:49 PM
I think I read somewhere that Rodney White has a serious offer in Europe.

ChumpDumper
09-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Depends on the actual money involved. DerMarr Jonhson was their first choice so how much money could it really be?

Remember who his agent is as well.

ducks
09-21-2004, 12:03 AM
white to euro?