PDA

View Full Version : Big 3 PER

Deimosfobos
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I know many don't like these kind of stats... but I still think is interesting. The Big 3 are all in the top ten.

6- Timy 24.68
8- Manu 23.54
9- Parker 23.27

WalterBenitez
03-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Do we have the best 3 in the league?

spursfaninla
03-29-2009, 03:10 PM
What would be more accurate would be the PER most recently, because Duncan was playing better earlier in the season.

exstatic
03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
What would be more accurate would be the PER most recently, because Duncan was playing better earlier in the season.

That would be accurate for recently, but not for the season. Every player goes through ups and downs. The season PER reflects your season as a whole.

Bartleby
03-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Do we have the best 3 in the league?

I would say yes (when all three all healthy).

Allen, KG and Pierce are right up there though.

Kobe, Gasol and either Bynum or Odom after that (maybe more like a big 2.5).

EDIT: going just by PER, definitely.

spursfaninla
03-29-2009, 05:50 PM
It is interesting to know how each player did for the year, sure.

But I guess I was thinking about the utility of PER as a predictor of how well the big 3 will do this year in the playoffs. That would be more interesting to me.

However, those PER numbers might be misleading, since the big 3 did not play together much. For a vast majority of the year, it was 2 of the three at most, and several times either Parker or Duncan. Thus, their individual numbers would change (probably for the worse) with fewer shots each.

exstatic
03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
However, those PER numbers might be misleading, since the big 3 did not play together much. For a vast majority of the year, it was 2 of the three at most, and several times either Parker or Duncan. Thus, their individual numbers would change (probably for the worse) with fewer shots each.

There's a reason they bring Manu off the bench: so that they DON'T waste minutes together with sharing shots 3 ways. Since Manu plays ~ 28-29 minutes, and Tim and Tony both play ~ 34 minutes, they probably only all play together maybe 10-12 minutes in any game. Pop does a good job of keeping them out of each other's way.

spursfaninla
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Right, except the last 6 minutes of 4th. That seems to be the time where all three are likely to be on the floor.

as TD's offensive productivity slowly declines, I wonder if we will see Manu shift to starting consistently...as it is, manu has flipped back and forth from starter to 6th man many times.

TMTTRIO
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
as TD's offensive productivity slowly declines, I wonder if we will see Manu shift to starting consistently...as it is, manu has flipped back and forth from starter to 6th man many times.

No I think Manu will end his career on the bench as he'll probably be declining too.

DAF86
03-29-2009, 09:55 PM
No I think Manu will end his career on the bench as he'll probably be declining too.

Maybe Manu would be our next Finley.

I can't bealive I said that :depressed