PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Ginobili Now Closer To A Friend Than Ever

duncan228
03-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Ginobili now closer to a friend than ever (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_now_closer_to_a_friend_than_ever.html)
Buck Harvey

NEW ORLEANS — There was a time when Sean Marks carried the Spurs.

Then, after Game 7 against Detroit, Marks held Manu Ginobili by the waist as Ginobili kicked his legs in midair in a lasting, comedic image of celebration.

But Marks is finished with that job. He blocked one of Ginobili's shots Sunday night, and he had a quasi-dunk, and he once stood in Ginobili's path trying to draw a charge.

Ginobili got the call, then turned to his former teammate. “Are you trying to hurt me?” Ginobili playfully asked.

As two friends got closer in the standings, on a night that could have passed for last May, the answer was, well, yes.

No one was really hurt, and for the Hornets that's rare news. When they aren't losing players to injuries, they are to suspension. They were without three rotation players Sunday night.

Naturally, this scared the Spurs' staff. The coaches talked before the game about this being precisely the kind of setup they feared, and what bothered them the most is that the Hornets had fallen flat to the Knicks the game before.

That night in New York, Byron Scott said, “They outworked us.”

Not coincidentally, Gregg Popovich would be using the same language after Sunday's meeting. The Hornets “wanted the game more,” he said.

These are the emotional swings of a long NBA season, and shooting streaks swing as abruptly. As much as Popovich didn't like how his team reacted Sunday, he will see the 7-of-29 shooting from behind the 3-point line, and he will understand these things happen.

But there are real negatives, and one is Ginobili. He's not back, not at his closer best. He said he got winded at the end of the third quarter, and he admitted he still doesn't have the “last step.”

That's the one that takes him to the basket.

With nine games left, he's not sure when it will come back. Given that, there might be more nights such as Sunday, when the Spurs were behind by only three points with over three minutes left, and Ginobili wasn't the one in charge.

Only at the very end, when Ginobili threw in a three, then drew the kind of foul that's made him famous, did he impact as he usually has. That, and friendship, is why Marks carried him around the AT&T floor in 2005.

But with Ginobili trying to find his footing, the Spurs are caught in a crazy, tight mix. Sunday night showed how the gap has closed between the No. 2 seed and the No. 7.

The only question now: Which one will the Spurs be when the playoffs come?

Marks laughs when he hears that. He was around the Spurs for too long to think they will be settling near the bottom of the conference over the next few weeks.

Still, only two games in the loss column separate the Spurs from the Hornets. “Who can say what will happen?” Marks said.

His own career has the same theme. He's 6-foot-10, and he has a jumper, but he stuck with the Spurs because of his attitude. His relationship with Ginobili told of that; it's not as if an Argentine and a New Zealander would have an obvious tie.

Eventually the Spurs opted for more talent. Marks went to Phoenix where he kept the same, good-guy role, but he's earned some time in New Orleans. With Tyson Chandler so often injured this season, Marks has started some games and he's played significant minutes.

Sunday, when he stood in against his former teammates, ranked with any. Scott called him “terrific” afterward, and a sequence in the third quarter changed the game. Maybe the eventual seeding, too.

Then Ginobili hit a 3-pointer for a four-point Spurs lead, and he came down for another. Marks blocked it. And when he followed by going up with two hands over Tim Duncan, the ball barely dribbling over the rim, the Hornets had the lead. They never trailed again.

The game would remain as tight as the conference, however. And afterward Marks talked about this tight race, and how the conference seedings will be decided.

“It will come down to the last game,” he said.

For the Spurs, that will be in San Antonio. Against Marks and the Hornets.

EricB
03-30-2009, 12:11 AM
A bit of an over reaction IMO. I see no reason why 9 games wouldn't be enough to get back to normal.....

TMTTRIO
03-30-2009, 12:59 AM
I don't know if Manu will be able to get it together in gear by the time the playoffs arrive so I guess we're going to have to wait and see and hope that he can.

mytespurs
03-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Ginobili now closer to a friend than ever (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_now_closer_to_a_friend_than_ever.html)
Buck Harvey

NEW ORLEANS — There was a time when Sean Marks carried the Spurs.

Then, after Game 7 against Detroit, Marks held Manu Ginobili by the waist as Ginobili kicked his legs in midair in a lasting, comedic image of celebration.

But Marks is finished with that job. He blocked one of Ginobili's shots Sunday night, and he had a quasi-dunk, and he once stood in Ginobili's path trying to draw a charge.

Ginobili got the call, then turned to his former teammate. “Are you trying to hurt me?” Ginobili playfully asked.

As two friends got closer in the standings, on a night that could have passed for last May, the answer was, well, yes.

No one was really hurt, and for the Hornets that's rare news. When they aren't losing players to injuries, they are to suspension. They were without three rotation players Sunday night.

Naturally, this scared the Spurs' staff. The coaches talked before the game about this being precisely the kind of setup they feared, and what bothered them the most is that the Hornets had fallen flat to the Knicks the game before.

That night in New York, Byron Scott said, “They outworked us.”

Not coincidentally, Gregg Popovich would be using the same language after Sunday's meeting. The Hornets “wanted the game more,” he said.

These are the emotional swings of a long NBA season, and shooting streaks swing as abruptly. As much as Popovich didn't like how his team reacted Sunday, he will see the 7-of-29 shooting from behind the 3-point line, and he will understand these things happen.

But there are real negatives, and one is Ginobili. He's not back, not at his closer best. He said he got winded at the end of the third quarter, and he admitted he still doesn't have the “last step.”

That's the one that takes him to the basket.

With nine games left, he's not sure when it will come back. Given that, there might be more nights such as Sunday, when the Spurs were behind by only three points with over three minutes left, and Ginobili wasn't the one in charge.

Only at the very end, when Ginobili threw in a three, then drew the kind of foul that's made him famous, did he impact as he usually has. That, and friendship, is why Marks carried him around the AT&T floor in 2005.

But with Ginobili trying to find his footing, the Spurs are caught in a crazy, tight mix. Sunday night showed how the gap has closed between the No. 2 seed and the No. 7.

The only question now: Which one will the Spurs be when the playoffs come?

Marks laughs when he hears that. He was around the Spurs for too long to think they will be settling near the bottom of the conference over the next few weeks.

Still, only two games in the loss column separate the Spurs from the Hornets. “Who can say what will happen?” Marks said.

His own career has the same theme. He's 6-foot-10, and he has a jumper, but he stuck with the Spurs because of his attitude. His relationship with Ginobili told of that; it's not as if an Argentine and a New Zealander would have an obvious tie.

Eventually the Spurs opted for more talent. Marks went to Phoenix where he kept the same, good-guy role, but he's earned some time in New Orleans. With Tyson Chandler so often injured this season, Marks has started some games and he's played significant minutes.

Sunday, when he stood in against his former teammates, ranked with any. Scott called him “terrific” afterward, and a sequence in the third quarter changed the game. Maybe the eventual seeding, too.

Then Ginobili hit a 3-pointer for a four-point Spurs lead, and he came down for another. Marks blocked it. And when he followed by going up with two hands over Tim Duncan, the ball barely dribbling over the rim, the Hornets had the lead. They never trailed again.

The game would remain as tight as the conference, however. And afterward Marks talked about this tight race, and how the conference seedings will be decided.

“It will come down to the last game,” he said.

For the Spurs, that will be in San Antonio. Against Marks and the Hornets.

I watched the 2004-05 championship DVD last night-game 7 against Detroit. I remember that scene; I thought he was an assistant coach-didn't realize he was a player. :)

mark of a champion
03-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Manu will be a beast come playoff time. He should be well rested and back in his groove way before the end of the first season. We could easily be playing these same banged up hornets in the first round. I would love to get them early and knock them out of the playoffs.

mark of a champion
03-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Anyone else notice the chick interviewing Chris Paul at the end of the game (while he was sounding like a country bumpkin) was taller than he was. That shit was hilarious. Some players should not give post game interviews. He sounded like Avery Johnson on crack.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2009, 04:05 AM
A bit of an over reaction IMO. I see no reason why 9 games wouldn't be enough to get back to normal.....

So you don't think there's any chance that Manu and Tim simply won't be healthy before the playoffs or that Tony Parker will simply run out of gas after having to carry this team through stretches?

The truth is the Spurs are much more like the mid 90s Robin teams than Spurs teams of the last decade. While they may finish 2-3rd in the standings, they aren't as good and I think everyone knows it. No one in the west is scared of playing this team because the're hobbling on one leg and they're counting on players like Bonner and RMJ. Actually, RMJ probably garners more respect than I'm giving him credit for, but the fact stil remains that I don't think anyone is scared of the Spurs because they're simply not as good as the standings may indicate due to injuries and other variables.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2009, 04:07 AM
If I were a betting man - hahaha - I'd say Manu's best consistent days are behind him and if this is indeed the case, I'm sure may of us who watched him with the Spurs suspected this day was coming. The guy has never been capable of playing more than 30 minutes a game on a consistent basis and now his body is really starting to break down. I don't think its very likely Manu has anymore seasons in him where he plays more than 60 games. The guy has always had nagging injuries and as his career has progressed they've become progressivly more serious and have had more of an effect on him.

I see no reason to believe he'll revert to his past version and every reason to believe otherwise.

ElNono
03-30-2009, 06:39 AM
The guy has always had nagging injuries and as his career has progressed they've become progressivly more serious and have had more of an effect on him.

Like what, specifically? You make it sound like he had more injuries than the average NBA guy, like Tony or Timmy, but it really isn't so.
Yes, he had a tough year injury-wise, but at the same time he managed to play at an extremely high level before he went out with the stress reaction.
I personally don't think he'll be the athletic freak he was in his first two years here, but he still can jump, knock down the shot and contribute in other ways.

urunobili
03-30-2009, 07:24 AM
If I were a betting man - hahaha - I'd say Manu's best consistent days are behind him and if this is indeed the case, I'm sure may of us who watched him with the Spurs suspected this day was coming. The guy has never been capable of playing more than 30 minutes a game on a consistent basis and now his body is really starting to break down. I don't think its very likely Manu has anymore seasons in him where he plays more than 60 games. The guy has always had nagging injuries and as his career has progressed they've become progressivly more serious and have had more of an effect on him.

I see no reason to believe he'll revert to his past version and every reason to believe otherwise.
So you have just joined, ducks, rascal and Vander? didn't see that one coming.. you are just another biased Ginobili hater.. :loser

Old School 44
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Sean Marks is a super nice guy, I met him his first year here. I can see why he is a locker room and fan favorite whereever he goes.

EricB
03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I think ginobili liked healthy last jght he just missed some open shots. I don't think he's hurt I think it's all conditioning right now. Duncan looked fine too. Way way over reacting on this game.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Like what, specifically? You make it sound like he had more injuries than the average NBA guy, like Tony or Timmy, but it really isn't so.
Yes, he had a tough year injury-wise, but at the same time he managed to play at an extremely high level before he went out with the stress reaction.
I personally don't think he'll be the athletic freak he was in his first two years here, but he still can jump, knock down the shot and contribute in other ways.

Is this a joke? You want to know why Barry nicknamed him El Contusion? Its not because Manu is 100% all the time. He has always had minor nagging injuries and has rarely played at 100% throughout his NBA career.

I never said he couldn't contribute. Of course he's still a good player, but he's also missing a lot of games now. Unless he gets much better in a short span, this will be the 2nd playoffs where he's broken down in a row. And next year he's not going to be any younger.

What we have is an aging player who has shown a propensity for breaking down. It is what it is.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
So you have just joined, ducks, rascal and Vander? didn't see that one coming.. you are just another biased Ginobili hater.. :loser

Hater? What the hell are you talking about. I love Manu. I'm just of the opinion that he's breaking down and is on the rapid decline. I knew some moron was going to come inhere and post this simply because I view things differently.

jdev82
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
whoever wrote this should die. i hope that motherfucker dies. this game made me madder than ive ever been at a tv. i was afraid for the health of the people around me. this guy should kill himself.

taps
03-30-2009, 02:35 PM
So you don't think there's any chance that Manu and Tim simply won't be healthy before the playoffs or that Tony Parker will simply run out of gas after having to carry this team through stretches?

The truth is the Spurs are much more like the mid 90s Robin teams than Spurs teams of the last decade. While they may finish 2-3rd in the standings, they aren't as good and I think everyone knows it. No one in the west is scared of playing this team because the're hobbling on one leg and they're counting on players like Bonner and RMJ. Actually, RMJ probably garners more respect than I'm giving him credit for, but the fact stil remains that I don't think anyone is scared of the Spurs because they're simply not as good as the standings may indicate due to injuries and other variables.

Please step away from the precipice.

MannyIsGod
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Please step away from the precipice.

The edge of thinking where I don't belive that these Spurs are going to win a title? Oh I jumped over that edge a long time ago.

taps
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
The edge of thinking where I don't belive that these Spurs are going to win a title? Oh I jumped over that edge a long time ago.

Why didn't the impact kill you? *dissapointed*

MannyIsGod
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Why didn't the impact kill you? *dissapointed*

Maybe because I'm not a loser who's only kicks come from the Spurs? Nice fulfilling life you have there bud.

timvp
03-30-2009, 03:57 PM

I see no reason to believe he'll revert to his past version and every reason to believe otherwise.Ginobili's health could very well be the determining factor in whether the Spurs win another championship in the Duncan era. Watching him right now, I'd say there's a decent chance he can get healthy enough and stay healthy for a playoff run.

However, looking at the big picture is definitely scarier. When Manu first entered the league, mostly everyone (fans, coaches, players) agreed that with Manu's style of play that he'd be lucky to still be an elite player at the age of 30. The fearless wear and tear, the theory said, would take its toll as Manu went out of his physical prime and entered his 30s.

Last year at age 30, Manu's body broke down on him. This year, at 31, it happened again. Was the common perception of Manu when he first entered the league correct or has Manu just suffered a string of fluke injuries? Obviously I hope for the latter but it'd be homer of me to totally dismiss the former.

The most frightening thing to me is that the only player I've ever seen that was Manu's size and put his body on the line as often was Sarunas Marciulionis. Marciulionis' body started breaking down the same way and at the same age. His body finally broke down for good at age 32 ... and Ginobili turns 32 this summer :depressed

However, as Solid D has pointed out, Manu has two things that can extend his career -- his three-point shooting and his passing. Marciulionis wasn't a shooter and not much of a passer. The best case scenario is that Manu has enough explosion in his legs to allow him to be a threat to drive and to get to the hoop in key situations, while becoming a better shooter and passer to make up for anything he losses physically.

taps
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe because I'm not a loser who's only kicks come from the Spurs? Nice fulfilling life you have there bud.

This coming from someone who has 32,000 posts and has been here since 2003? What was your point-of-reference for my all-consuming spurs fan-loserdom, my 70 posts over the last year? Maybe it was that I wished metaphoric fan-death on you for your Sporky comments. I'm not saying you're a loser whose only kicks come from the Spurs, but pubescent comments like these just sound like emotional displacement.

edit: and for God's sake man if you don't believe in Manu anymore at least change your handle.

xtremesteven33
03-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Ginobili's health could very well be the determining factor in whether the Spurs win another championship in the Duncan era. Watching him right now, I'd say there's a decent chance he can get healthy enough and stay healthy for a playoff run.

However, looking at the big picture is definitely scarier. When Manu first entered the league, mostly everyone (fans, coaches, players) agreed that with Manu's style of play that he'd be lucky to still be an elite player at the age of 30. The fearless wear and tear, the theory said, would take its toll as Manu went out of his physical prime and entered his 30s.

Last year at age 30, Manu's body broke down on him. This year, at 31, it happened again. Was the common perception of Manu when he first entered the league correct or has Manu just suffered a string of fluke injuries? Obviously I hope for the latter but it'd be homer of me to totally dismiss the former.

The most frightening thing to me is that the only player I've ever seen that was Manu's size and put his body on the line as often was Sarunas Marciulionis. Marciulionis' body started breaking down the same way and at the same age. His body finally broke down for good at age 32 ... and Ginobili turns 32 this summer :depressed

However, as Solid D has pointed out, Manu has two things that can extend his career -- his three-point shooting and his passing. Marciulionis wasn't a shooter and not much of a passer. The best case scenario is that Manu has enough explosion in his legs to allow him to be a threat to drive and to get to the hoop in key situations, while becoming a better shooter and passer to make up for anything he losses physically.

One of your best posts :tu

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Ginobili's health could very well be the determining factor in whether the Spurs win another championship in the Duncan era. Watching him right now, I'd say there's a decent chance he can get healthy enough and stay healthy for a playoff run.

Seconded. The same thing is happening with A.I.

But true passion and enthusiasm don't diminish. Duncan and Manu are both capable of evolving their games as their physical abilities lesson.