PDA

View Full Version : David Stern, the worst commissioner

SinBAD
03-30-2009, 12:19 AM
The officiating in the NBA is reaching an all time low thanks to David Stern.This guy is supposed to be very smart having graduated Columbia Law.Why do we see so many stupid rules then in the NBA?

Todays game is a perfect example.Not only did the refs not make a call on the first foul, they let 2 seconds run off the clock.Rules are supposed to make the game as fair as possible.What is fair in costing the spurs 3 points and 2 seconds.Its retarded to have a rule saying the officials cant review the tape if they didn't see the malfuntion.If someone complains about it, they should review it.We saw the same thing during the houston game.

We all understand that refs are humans and thats why you have 3 on the floor.when all 3 make the same mistake that means 3 is not enough.The NBA should have 4 refs on the floor with one watching the clock at all times..Also the NBA should fine the refs if they continue to make horrible calls like this or fire them.Its not fun watching the a game that's unfair.

This same officiating cost the spurs the title in 2004 with fishers 0.4 sec shot.Explain to me Stern how a person can catch a ball turn around and release in 0.4 sec.

I'm tired of stern and i really think he needs to get fired.the NBA is not a dictatorship where the guy in charge stays forever.this is retatrded.the guy stern is preparing to take over is his student and will likely be as bad.

Also i really believe that the NBA fixes some games to maximise profit.There is more than enough evidence to support that but I dont understand why everyone is blind or scared of doing something.

jag
03-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Go away.

Nathan Explosion
03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm not saying that the games are fixed by refs. However, Henry Hill (I think that's his name), the guy the movie Goodfellas is based on, said he had refs in his back pocket for years back in the 70s.

He claims he had refs fix games and point spreads on numerous occasions. If these allegations are true, what does that do to affect the image of the terrible officiating people are seeing on a nightly basis in some games?

baseline bum
03-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Paul anticipated contact, went up with the shot, and got hit. Sucks, but he was absolutely in the middle of a shot when Manu fouled him and therefore giving him three shots was the right call. I think Stern's a tremendous commisioner also. He has ensured small markets can compete (unlike baseball) while at the same time not creating a league of bland parity (like you saw in the NFL a few years ago).

Nathan Explosion
03-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Paul anticipated contact, went up with the shot, and got hit. Sucks, but he was absolutely in the middle of a shot when Manu fouled him and therefore giving him three shots was the right call. I think Stern's a tremendous commisioner also. He has ensured small markets can compete (unlike baseball) while at the same time not creating a league of bland parity (like you saw in the NFL a few years ago).

Lebron tried that trick earlier in the year. He knew Ben Wallace was about to get fouled and jacked up a three from way behing the line right as the foul was about to happen and hit it.

The refs just smiled at waved it off because it was a BS play and shouldn't have been rewarded. Lebron smiled like he knew he had to at least try it.

That ref crew knew that you can't bail out a player for trying something like that.

This ref crew must not have got the memo.

There is a precendent here (with Lebron) and tonight's crew ignored it and created their own precedent at the same time.

baseline bum
03-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Lebron tried that trick earlier in the year. He knew Ben Wallace was about to get fouled and jacked up a three from way behing the line right as the foul was about to happen and hit it.

The refs just smiled at waved it off because it was a BS play and shouldn't have been rewarded. Lebron smiled like he knew he had to at least try it.

That ref crew knew that you can't bail out a player for trying something like that.

This ref crew must not have got the memo.

There is a precendent here (with Lebron) and tonight's crew ignored it and created their own precedent at the same time.

Was LeBron actually in the air at the time though? If I remember correctly, Paul was.

Thomas82
03-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Yeah, but Paul was fouled twice in the backcourt and the refs didn't call it.

SinBAD
03-30-2009, 12:53 AM
you might be right about the fact that he helped small markte teams develop but there are a bunch of rules that are so unfair and need to change.they should also have a committee that reviews the refs as suggested during the trail of tim donaghy.the refs are too inconsisten. the nba is probably the most watched american sport abroad.the way the refs are officiating as of late is a dsgrace.

baseline bum
03-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, but Paul was fouled twice in the backcourt and the refs didn't call it.

I remember Parker fouling him, but I can see that not being called as Paul did a hell of a job sliding between Tony and the other player in the backcourt (can't remember who it was right off-hand).

Jacob1983
03-30-2009, 03:42 AM
The NBA does have the worst refs of any sport. At least in the NFL, the refs own up to their mistakes and apologize when they suck. Baseball and hockey do that sometimes too. The refs in the NBA rarely ever admit their mistakes or own up to their errors and mistakes. I think NBA fans would not hate refs so much if they would just admit when they make mistakes and when they're wrong. For example, if the refs would have admitted that they had made mistakes in the 2002 WCF, the 2006 Finals, and the 2nd round series between the Spurs and Suns in 2007 then fans wouldn't be so hostile toward them and not hate them so much.

baseline bum
03-30-2009, 04:22 AM
The NBA does have the worst refs of any sport. At least in the NFL, the refs own up to their mistakes and apologize when they suck. Baseball and hockey do that sometimes too. The refs in the NBA rarely ever admit their mistakes or own up to their errors and mistakes. I think NBA fans would not hate refs so much if they would just admit when they make mistakes and when they're wrong. For example, if the refs would have admitted that they had made mistakes in the 2002 WCF, the 2006 Finals, and the 2nd round series between the Spurs and Suns in 2007 then fans wouldn't be so hostile toward them and not hate them so much.

You forgot the 2006 second round.

Obstructed_View
03-30-2009, 05:55 AM
Was LeBron actually in the air at the time though? If I remember correctly, Paul was.

Lebron was in the act of shooting when he saw the foul coming. It was the first thing I thought of when the Paul play happened and the reason I was so surprised that they awarded him three shots. By that logic, Lebron should have gotten rewarded for it too. In fact, didn't someone else do the same thing earlier in the Spurs/Hornets game on an intentional foul and it was waved off? I'd go back and look but I already erased the game. :)

Nathan Explosion
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Lebron was in the act of shooting when he saw the foul coming. It was the first thing I thought of when the Paul play happened and the reason I was so surprised that they awarded him three shots. By that logic, Lebron should have gotten rewarded for it too. In fact, didn't someone else do the same thing earlier in the Spurs/Hornets game on an intentional foul and it was waved off? I'd go back and look but I already erased the game. :)

Didn't he drill the shot too? I'm fuzzy on that one, but I do remember him timing the foul so he was in the act of shooting a 3 when it was called. By technicality of the rule, the Cavs should have been rewarded 3 FTs or the 4 point play (if Lebron had made the shot).

Everyone knows it was a bad call plain and simple. That issue comes up many times in many games and it never gets called. Yet somehow the call was made last night?

I'm not claiming a fix BTW (the Henry Hill stuff was just food for thought), but rather saying that the officiating crew is incompetent. More and more fans are starting to agree.

A San Antonio writer even suggested that Mark Cuban (gulp) might be on to something about the refs.

When you get Spurs fans looking to Cuban as a leader in any fight, you know something is off.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2009, 04:42 AM
A San Antonio writer even suggested that Mark Cuban (gulp) might be on to something about the refs.

When you get Spurs fans looking to Cuban as a leader in any fight, you know something is off.

Apply the broken clock rule to Mark Cuban; he only complains about officiating when his team is on the losing end, despite all his public statements about how he's looking out for the good of the league. Officiating was a hundred times better before he came along.

AussieFanKurt
03-31-2009, 05:48 AM
Apply the broken clock rule to Mark Cuban; he only complains about officiating when his team is on the losing end, despite all his public statements about how he's looking out for the good of the league. Officiating was a hundred times better before he came along.

yeah mark is a little whiny bitch

LockBeard
03-31-2009, 08:34 AM
The NBA is without a doubt the worst officiated Sport known to mankind.

For 150k-300k a year, I guarantee you I could do a better job.

Ghazi
03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
No surprises here. In 2006 David Stern said Im gonna destroy a certain players legacy, ruin a dream he's put over a decade of work into, and reward an unworthy team with an NBA championship just to market a primadonna wheelchair bitch superstar with the most biased officiating in the history of man.

That player was Dirk Nowitzki, that team was the Miami Cheat, and that superstar was D-Whistle the primadonna wheelchair bitch who is a sex addict and doesn't deserve his ring.

Jacob1983
03-31-2009, 12:39 PM
David Stern's play to make D-Wade the next Michael Jordan was an epic fail. Wade hasn't done anything since the 2006 Finals. He got swept in the 1st round in 2007, and didn't even make the playoffs in 2008. And this year, his team probably won't get any higher than 5th place in the East.

Flo-Rida
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
No surprises here. In 2006 David Stern said Im gonna destroy a certain players legacy, ruin a dream he's put over a decade of work into, and reward an unworthy team with an NBA championship just to market a primadonna wheelchair bitch superstar with the most biased officiating in the history of man.

That player was Dirk Nowitzki, that team was the Miami Cheat, and that superstar was D-Whistle the primadonna wheelchair bitch who is a sex addict and doesn't deserve his ring.

:lobt2: Your 2006 champions! :lobt2:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/cubanito51590/topper-heat.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/chrisneo/wadetrophyADB_400_060620.jpg

The mavs....
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/chrisneo/timeout.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/chrisneo/irkgonewild.gif

Obstructed_View
03-31-2009, 01:28 PM
The NBA is without a doubt the worst officiated Sport known to mankind.
Other than FIBA or MLB or the NFL, I certainly can't think of any that are worse.

poop
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
boohoo the fucking mavericks didnt deserve it, how conveient that you guys dont mention that tainted '06 spurs-mavs series...thatw as the worst most biased officiating ive ever seen. you guys claim the league screwed you in favor of MIAMI HOT DWADE, well, i beleive it, because that year there was CLEAR tampering by the league. not only did they help DWADE in the finals, but they most certainly helped you guys dispatch 'the damn rating killing spurs'.

never in the history of the NBA has a perimeter jump shooter gone to the line as much as Dirk did that series. its was bullshit, you couldnt look at him without getting a whistle. every single time the spurs got a lead they just put dirk on the line for automatic free points until they were back in it.

lurker
03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Are Spurs fans really still that upset over the CP foul? I don't see what he did as being any worse than this:
http://i39.tinypic.com/9i8cna.gif

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/chrisneo/wadetrophyADB_400_060620.jpg

he's lookin at that trophy like he wants to give it herpes.

pauls931
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I was expecting this to be a Ghazi thread.

poop
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
i was by far the best player ever at NBA Jam, i was completely unstoppable.

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Are Spurs fans really still that upset over the CP foul? I don't see what he did as being any worse than this:
http://i39.tinypic.com/9i8cna.gif

Damn.

SenorSpur
03-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Consistency and standards among officiating is important. However, the activity is run by humans whose views can be subjective. I do believe that officials need to be held to a common standard.

On another not, I believe Stern needs to put more teeth into the tampering rules. Coaches, GMs and owners are not allowed to talk openly about players from other teams. Yet players themselves can publically daydream, recruit and discuss their prospective destinations and future desires during the season! This must end. Lebron and JKidd should not be answering questions as to their free agent destinations of choice. It's a distraction for their clubs and disrespectul to teammates, management and local fans, who buy the damn tickets.

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Consistency and standards among officiating is important. However, the activity is run by humans whose views can be subjective. I do believe that officials need to be held to a common standard.

On another not, I believe Stern needs to put more teeth into the tampering rules. Coaches, GMs and owners are not allowed to talk openly about players from other teams. Yet players themselves can publically daydream, recruit and discuss their prospective destinations and future desires during the season! This must end. Lebron and JKidd should not be answering questions as to their free agent destinations of choice. It's a distraction for their clubs and disrespectul to teammates, management and local fans, who buy the damn tickets.

:tu

I agree. LeBron shouldn't respond or have to answer questions about 2010.

baseline bum
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
David Stern's play to make D-Wade the next Michael Jordan was an epic fail. Wade hasn't done anything since the 2006 Finals. He got swept in the 1st round in 2007, and didn't even make the playoffs in 2008. And this year, his team probably won't get any higher than 5th place in the East.

:lmao

Dallas hasn't done shit since the 2006 Finals. Why don't you Mav fans look in the mirror every once in a while? David Stern ain't the reason you guys blew a 13 point lead in the 4th in game 3, got blown out in game 4, wasted your last timeout in game 5, or missed the wide-open three at the buzzer in game 6.

Jacob1983
03-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Hold on, I never said that the Mavs were 100 percent innocent in their loss in the 2006 Final. They made a lot of mistakes and choked big time. However, David Stern had a part in the outcome of the 2006 NBA Finals. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what he was doing. He was trying to make D-Wade the next Jordan and he failed big time. Honestly, the Heat's championship in 2006 wasn't that impressive when you look at it. I mean in order for the Heat to win, Wade had to shoot like 15 to 20 free throws in games 3-6 and the Mavs had to go cold at the worst of times. The Heat had to play their asses off and the Mavs had to choke on a big dick in order for the Heat to win the championship in 2006.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, Wade just isn't a very impressive player....

baseline bum
03-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Hold on, I never said that the Mavs were 100 percent innocent in their loss in the 2006 Final. They made a lot of mistakes and choked big time. However, David Stern had a part in the outcome of the 2006 NBA Finals. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what he was doing. He was trying to make D-Wade the next Jordan and he failed big time. Honestly, the Heat's championship in 2006 wasn't that impressive when you look at it. I mean in order for the Heat to win, Wade had to shoot like 15 to 20 free throws in games 3-6 and the Mavs had to go cold at the worst of times. The Heat had to play their asses off and the Mavs had to choke on a big dick in order for the Heat to win the championship in 2006.

Mav fans have really selective memories. You can't whine about Wade's FTs when Dirk shot 24 in game 3, 15 in game 4, and 16 in game 7 of the 06 Spurs/Mavs series, not to mention fouling Duncan out at the end of game 3 when Nowitzki stepped on his foot or getting a gimme with less than 10 seconds left to force OT when Bowen barely touched him in game 4. Mav fans complain about Wade shooting FTs to end game 5, but Dirk got handed two free throws to end game 3. It's not Stern's fault he blew it.

Ghazi
03-31-2009, 11:30 PM
:lmao

Dallas hasn't done shit since the 2006 Finals. Why don't you Mav fans look in the mirror every once in a while? David Stern ain't the reason you guys blew a 13 point lead in the 4th in game 3, got blown out in game 4, wasted your last timeout in game 5, or missed the wide-open three at the buzzer in game 6.

How bout dem Thunder :king

David Stern
03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
The officiating in the NBA is reaching an all time low thanks to David Stern.This guy is supposed to be very smart having graduated Columbia Law.Why do we see so many stupid rules then in the NBA?

Todays game is a perfect example.Not only did the refs not make a call on the first foul, they let 2 seconds run off the clock.Rules are supposed to make the game as fair as possible.What is fair in costing the spurs 3 points and 2 seconds.Its retarded to have a rule saying the officials cant review the tape if they didn't see the malfuntion.If someone complains about it, they should review it.We saw the same thing during the houston game.

We all understand that refs are humans and thats why you have 3 on the floor.when all 3 make the same mistake that means 3 is not enough.The NBA should have 4 refs on the floor with one watching the clock at all times..Also the NBA should fine the refs if they continue to make horrible calls like this or fire them.Its not fun watching the a game that's unfair.

This same officiating cost the spurs the title in 2004 with fishers 0.4 sec shot.Explain to me Stern how a person can catch a ball turn around and release in 0.4 sec.

I'm tired of stern and i really think he needs to get fired.the NBA is not a dictatorship where the guy in charge stays forever.this is retatrded.the guy stern is preparing to take over is his student and will likely be as bad.

Also i really believe that the NBA fixes some games to maximise profit.There is more than enough evidence to support that but I dont understand why everyone is blind or scared of doing something.

:lmao:lmao

Jacob1983
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Is it possible to say that Spurs' fans are just as bitter about getting dethroned in the 2nd round by the Mavs in 2006 as Mavs' fans are about losing in the 2006 Finals to the Heat?

I will admit that the Mavs got a lot of calls in games 1 through 4 against the Spurs in the 2nd round in 2006. I remember Charles Barkley bitching about it. However, the Refs made up for that by letting the calls go heavily toward the Spurs' in games 5, 6, and 7.

I never said that David Stern is the only reason why the Mavs lost in the 2006 Finals. There were numerous reasons why the Mavs lost the championship. I would say about 85-90 percent of the blame was on the Mavs. However, David Stern had a role or part in making sure that Wade and the Heat would win the championship.

Ghazi
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
85-90% on the Mavs?

try 80% on Stern

baseline bum
04-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Is it possible to say that Spurs' fans are just as bitter about getting dethroned in the 2nd round by the Mavs in 2006 as Mavs' fans are about losing in the 2006 Finals to the Heat?

I will admit that the Mavs got a lot of calls in games 1 through 4 against the Spurs in the 2nd round in 2006. I remember Charles Barkley bitching about it. However, the Refs made up for that by letting the calls go heavily toward the Spurs' in games 5, 6, and 7.

I never said that David Stern is the only reason why the Mavs lost in the 2006 Finals. There were numerous reasons why the Mavs lost the championship. I would say about 85-90 percent of the blame was on the Mavs. However, David Stern had a role or part in making sure that Wade and the Heat would win the championship.

What big calls exactly wrongly went in the Spurs favor? The suspension (which is automatic) for Terry punching Finley in the nuts in game 5? Did you expect Dirk to go to the FT line again when Bowen got all ball on the block to end game 5? The no-call when Duncan got mugged at the end of regulation in game 7?

dirk4mvp
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
The no-call when Duncan got mugged at the end of regulation in game 7?

Is that when he missed two point blank layups?

BUMP
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Is that when he missed two point blank layups?

no Duncan gets fouled everytime since he is a low post player.

-SpursHaveFourRings

baseline bum
04-01-2009, 04:28 PM
no Duncan gets fouled everytime since he is a low post player.

-SpursHaveFourRings

If we're going by the standard set by the refs at the ends of games 3 and 4, then a flagrant 2 should have been called.

poop
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Mav fans have really selective memories. You can't whine about Wade's FTs when Dirk shot 24 in game 3, 15 in game 4, and 16 in game 7 of the 06 Spurs/Mavs series, not to mention fouling Duncan out at the end of game 3 when Nowitzki stepped on his foot or getting a gimme with less than 10 seconds left to force OT when Bowen barely touched him in game 4. Mav fans complain about Wade shooting FTs to end game 5, but Dirk got handed two free throws to end game 3. It's not Stern's fault he blew it.

exactly, no one seems to remember this...that '06 spurs-mavs was the worst called, most biased officiating series ive ever seen.

in fact, ive been watching the NBA RELIGIOUSLY since 1994 and that year, for the first and only time ever, i did not watch one single game after that series. not one. it was brutally obvious that the league decided to tamper with the outcomes that year. when i heard how the mavs got screwed in the finals, i didnt doubt it. they had it coming though, after that TAINTED series which prevented us from getting a 3-PEAT.

one thing i think we can all agree on, 2006 deserves an asterisk.

IronMexican
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Every year the Spurs don't win it, it deserves an asterisk to you guys.

2004: .4 was bull shit. Asterisk.

2006: Bias refs. Asterisk

2008: Lakers received a gift in Gasol, and the end of game 4. Asterisk.

Stump
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Some of us are excessively bitter, but atleast we don't have douchebags going around proclaiming ourselves 2006 NBA champions.

dirk4mvp
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Some of us are excessively bitter, but atleast we don't have douchebags going around proclaiming ourselves 2006 NBA champions.

poop just did.

Ghazi
04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
2006 NBA mutha fuckin champions faggots :smokin

Jacob1983
04-01-2009, 06:56 PM
In the record books, the Mavs are not the 2006 NBA champions. However, they should have been. They should have won that series. Dirk should have played better and not got scared like he did. The Mavs should have done a better job at guarding Wade and making their shots. However, they didn't and wound up losing the championship.

I would say that the officiating was bad in general in the 2nd round series in 2006 between the Spurs and Mavs. Spurs got calls and Mavs got calls. They both got screwed on bs calls as well. If Manu hadn't have fouled Dirk as he was going to the basket, the Spurs would have won that game. I agree that the foul wasn't a hard foul and there wasn't a lot of contact but Manu still got Dirk on the arm.