PDA

View Full Version : Less or More Worried after Hornets game (or the same)?

Mavs<Spurs
03-30-2009, 01:48 AM
I am less worried after this game than I was before the game.

This game confirmed the trend that Tim is looking more and more healthy. Obviously, he won't be 100 % for the playoffs, but for quite a while he was looking terrible.

Manu is getting back into the groove and is playing again and healthy.

We have the talent and experience to win a championship on our team.

The biggest factor in our success in the playoffs is our health, in particular the health of Tim Duncan and secondarily the health of Manu Ginobili.

Each game where they both look healthy makes me less worried about the playoffs.

Being healthy means we probably beat everybody but the Lakers in a 7 game series even without home court advantage.

Against LA, we have to not only be healthy, but we have to play at the top of our game . Even if we are healthy, the Lakers are the favorites in the series. But if we are healthy we have a decent chance at beating them in a 7 game series.

I know that we have other issues (e.g. Pop waking up and realizing that Mason can't play back up point guard and that he needs to let George Hill play back up point guard through out the playoffs, playing Bowen more than Udoka, getting Gooden familiar with our defensive schemes), but the main issue that will make or break us is Tim's health and Manu's health.

And we appear to have good news in that department. If that continues to be the case, then we can be a championship caliber team. However, that will fall upon Pop's shoulders to make the right decisions to bring that to pass.

I'm glad that we are healthy and I'm less worried about our Spurs team than I was before the game.

What about you?

:flag:

crc21209
03-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I still feel good about the team. Pretty much everything that could go wrong for the Spurs tonight, did. NOTHING went their way. The Spurs shot 7-29 from 3 pt. land! Not gonna happen too much usually. Usually Bonner, Mason, Finley, Manu will knock down at least half of their attempts combined. They shot waaay too many as well. They usually shoot around 15-16 3's a game and make about 7 of them or so. Secondly everytime the Spurs needed a big board, they couldnt get it. The Hornets would get an Offensive rebound, especially toward the end of the game more, allowing the Hornets to run more and more clock. It also seemed every little call, loose ball, momentum turn went their way tonight. Thirdly, Mason had 0 points. He is our 4th best option on Offense and he had ZERO points. Not gonna happen too often. Fourthly, the Spurs scratched and clawed their way to make it an 87-86 game, only to have it robbed of them when the refs did not call the CLEAR foul on Paul by TP and allowing him instead to shoot 3 free throws and ice the game for the Hornets. Like you said Mavs<Spurs, TD looked pretty good tonight and seems to be looking better and better game by game, Manu is still barely getting back into form, and this team should be fine going forward. :flag:

Mavs<Spurs
03-30-2009, 01:59 AM
I still feel good about the team. Pretty much everything that could go wrong for the Spurs tonight, did. NOTHING went their way. The Spurs shot 7-29 from 3 pt. land! Not gonna happen too much usually. Usually Bonner, Mason, Finley, Manu will knock down at least half of their attempts combined. They shot waaay too many as well. They usually shoot around 15-16 3's a game and make about 7 of them or so. Secondly everytime the Spurs needed a big board, they couldnt get it. The Hornets would get an Offensive rebound, especially toward the end of the game more, allowing the Hornets to run more and more clock. It also seemed every little call, loose ball, momentum turn went their way tonight. Thirdly, Mason had 0 points. He is our 4th best option on Offense and he had ZERO points. Not gonna happen too often. Fourthly, the Spurs scratched and clawed their way to make it an 87-86 game, only to have it robbed of them when the refs did not call the CLEAR foul on Paul by TP and allowing him instead to shoot 3 free throws and ice the game for the Hornets. Like you said Mavs<Spurs, TD looked pretty good tonight and seems to be looking better and better game by game, Manu is still barely getting back into form, and this team should be fine going forward. :flag:

Exactly, a lot of anomalies that aren't going to happen too often happened tonight. We were the top 3 point shooting team in the league. That's probably not true any more after some of our 3 point shooting recently, but we're definitely a much better 3 point shooting team than we showed tonight. Mason won't give us a goose egg very often.

And Tim and Manu are normally in better game shape.

So, I feel good about our team. To be quite honest with you, this is the best I've felt about our team since much earlier in the season.

timaios
03-30-2009, 02:11 AM
I am really really worried about Pop's coaching !
I simply can't understand what's going on in his mind !

rayray2k8
03-30-2009, 02:14 AM
This game pretty much told me that we're still the same team from last year.
The big 3 and nothing but scrubs on the team.

crc21209
03-30-2009, 02:16 AM

Today was just one game. You gotta be crazy if you think Vaughn, Udoka, and Horry from last year = Mason, Hill, Bonner, and Gooden from this year. No way in hell. This team is waaay better than last years team.

Mavs<Spurs
03-30-2009, 02:19 AM

I think that you have the consensus view on the board. I can't understand what he's thinking either. Normally, I think he's a great coach, but lately his substitution patterns and the lineups he's playing and the positions that he is putting players in don't make any sense to me at all.

I agree with you.

But with this team (and a healthy Tim, Manu and Tony), Pop probably couldn't wreck it even if he tried against any team but the Lakers in a 7 game series.

In other words even if Pop continues to coach terribly, we still probably beat every other Western Conference team in a 7 game series even if we don't have hca against them.

Against the Lakers, in order to win, Pop will have to coach smarter.

Bottom line, I don't think that any of the mainstays here think Pop's coaching and in particular his substitutions lately make much sense.

Let's get it together, Pop !

crc21209
03-30-2009, 02:21 AM
I think that you have the consensus view on the board. I can't understand what he's thinking either. Normally, I think he's a great coach, but lately his substitution patterns and the lineups he's playing and the positions that he is putting players in don't make any sense to me at all.

I agree with you.

But with this team (and a healthy Tim, Manu and Tony), Pop probably couldn't wreck it even if he tried against any team but the Lakers in a 7 game series.

In other words even if Pop continues to coach terribly, we still probably beat every other Western Conference team in a 7 game series even if we don't have hca against them.

Bottom line, I don't think that any of the mainstays here think Pop's coaching and in particular his substitutions lately make much sense.

I think that because of Manu missing so many games, Tony missing some as well, and Tim being dinged up a bit, and Gooden coming in so late, he has had to mess with the rotation so much later in the year than usual and is still figuring things out. By playoff time...he should have an idea of who he wants to play and what he wants to do..

Mavs<Spurs
03-30-2009, 02:23 AM
This team is a lot better than last year's team.

Mason wasn't on last years team. And to write off Mason because he had one bad game doesn't make any sense. He's won us four games on game winning shots. He's been one of the better 3 point shooters all year and is a double figure scorer for us.

Hill is our best back up point guard that we have had since Speedy Claxton (Pop is just not using him to play the position). He's young, athletic, and a terrific defender. He can drive to the hoop and handle the ball.

Gooden is our first serious low post scoring threat to go along with Timmy that we have had since David retired.

So, there is no way that these two Spurs teams (last years and this years) should be considered equivalent. This years Spurs team is considerably better than last years!

Wainseven
03-30-2009, 03:34 AM
I am worried that Bowen would not step up his game in the playoff and we would no longer have any perimeter player who could play lock down d.

Rapper
03-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Are you kidding me?

Of course more worried

Don't tell me you are less

raspsa
03-30-2009, 04:11 AM
I think that because of Manu missing so many games, Tony missing some as well, and Tim being dinged up a bit, and Gooden coming in so late, he has had to mess with the rotation so much later in the year than usual and is still figuring things out. By playoff time...he should have an idea of who he wants to play and what he wants to do..

that sums it up pretty well.

siraulo23
03-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Trust PoP
Trust the team
to another :lobt2:

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2009, 05:27 AM
i think nobody here cares till the playoffs start and 3 games in to see where the spurs are at.....no panic mode yet....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Worrying about one game in the regular season is rarely worth it. I'm all about the trend over the last 10 games - hopefully towards more offensive chemistry and better shooting!

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Worried isn't the appropriate adjective.

I'm more frustrated than worried.

The Spurs should have won this, but simply were lazy and careless at the end.

Ginobili with an ill-advised pass across court thru the long limbed defense of the Hornets, which consequently was deflected and stolen, and led to a fastbreak by CP3. :rolleyes

TP on a fastbreak knowing CP3 is coming from behind and but takes the ball up for a lazy layup which allows CP3 to catch up and knock it out of TP's hands and off his leg, Hornets ball. If Tony slows down and waits for Paul protecting the ball, he would easily have drawn a foul. Well.. maybe since the refs were a bit scandalous at the end of the game. :nope

And that rebound which Timmy had in the closing minutes, but then here comes CP3 to knock it out of his hands and steal it. :bang

Now.. those aren't plays due to lack of skill or prowess. So I'm not worried. It's just frustrating that they don't play with urgency this late in the season.

Just close the mother fucker out. Play hard that last 2 minutes wtf. That's not too much to ask for.

It was a good game though. I loved how TP took a shit on CP3 in the first quarter, with the hesitation move LOL!!

And that 6 points in a few seconds with under 30 to play.. starting with a cold blooded 3 from Manu, and then him pestering the man on the inbounds which led him to getting fouled and the ball back. Vintage. When Finley hit that 3 to bring it back to a 1 point game I was going nuts.

But the ending of the game deflated me. Fucking CP3. That fool willed the Hornets to win. That was a heads up play for him to launch that 3 ball as Manu was fouling him. The refs should have called a foul in the back court though on Tony..........!!!!

I hate him. Cp3.. Well not really.. its just he gets away with some shit... like when he drew the 2nd foul on Bonner by basically stopping with Bonner pursuing and then Bonner runs into him. But it was funny when TD stepped out on a screen and CP3 runs into Duncans hip, and then falls down spinning in a crazy manner trying to flop for a foul. :downspin:

ILoveOranges
03-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm not really worried. The Spurs played horribly, and had it within 1 before the three blind mice screwed up the game again. Even the ESPN announcers caught it.

Spursmania
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree with the posts above. I think the last 9 games or so will help get the team's chemistry going. And, last night's game was especially frustrating to see CP3 knock the ball out of TD's hands and TP's. Also, Manu's bad pass was pretty harsh. Spurs needed to play with a sense of urgency, and instead, took the Hornets for granted. They could have made their season a little easier for HCA had they taken care of business. But, I still think they have tremendous potential to be kicking some ass come playoff time. Their shots just didn't go in, but they had plenty of opportunities.

What still worries me is the Mason at Pg experiment. I think this is trouble and will cause a lot of heartache when we play LA and better defensive teams who will cause Mason to turn it over. I also worry about Pop not putting Bowen in-WTF? Bowen is a proven defender, he has helped contain many of the hot players. He has won championships with the Spurs-what's the deal? Has he lost a step and we don't know about it? I don't get it. Lastly, but most importantly, TD and Manu must get healthier.

SenorSpur
03-30-2009, 09:35 AM
This team is a lot better than last year's team.
I agree with you in theory, but every point you referenced has at least one unknown variable that could very well dictate failure or success.

Mason wasn't on last years team. And to write off Mason because he had one bad game doesn't make any sense. He's won us four games on game winning shots. He's been one of the better 3 point shooters all year and is a double figure scorer for us.
Very true, but Mason's productivity has suffered, as of late, as he struggles with the backup PG responsibilities Pop has thrust upon him.

Hill is our best back up point guard that we have had since Speedy Claxton (Pop is just not using him to play the position). He's young, athletic, and a terrific defender. He can drive to the hoop and handle the ball.
A lot of good having a player of his ability, when the coach basically hamstrings him by taking away his responsibilities.

Gooden is our first serious low post scoring threat to go along with Timmy that we have had since David retired.:
Gooden appears to be struggling with some of the offensive sets and defensive rotations. Offensively, he's been very productive, but he's far from being comfortable. As a result, Pop has been reluctant to use him during the 2nd half of most games. Assuming the Spurs resign him, it may take well into next season before we see consistent production from Gooden and it may take that long for Pop to trust him.

So, there is no way that these two Spurs teams (last years and this years) should be considered equivalent. This years Spurs team is considerably better than last years!

I agree with your assessment that this years team is better. However this team has a myriad of uncertainties, not the least of which is precarious health issues of Manu and Tim.

Fabbs
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by timaios View Post

I agree with you.

Great. So at best we can hope that the Spurs can overcome Poops ineptness for Round 1, maybe 2 (if not vs the Lakers). Sorry to say i agree that all indications point that way. The stupid 3 pt chucking, Mason at p.g., etc

Could Timmy Dunks rise up and become player/coach?

lefty
03-30-2009, 10:12 AM
More worried about the Hornets ?

Not at all.

More worried about the Sternism ? absolutely

boutons_deux
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm detached. :)

The Hornets clearly wanted the game a LOT more than the Spurs, who didn't seem to care very much.

I guess this "we Spurs only care about the playoffs" produces this in-season care-free-ness.

With 10 games left, I figure it's past time to start practicing intensity and all-out basketball, but it looks the Spurs figure differently.

The worst part is that the Spurs have become totally dependent on one tactic, making 3G's. And when that fails, the Spurs are screwed, and usually losers.

Dex
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Watch out for them fallin' skies.

SenorSpur
03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
While agree with the measured approach to the regular season and building for the playoffs, I totally disagree with this blase attitude towards the regular season. It sets a bad precedence for young players like Hill and Ian who have yet to prove themselves at this level. The same "questionable" precedent can be set for newly acquired players, like Gooden and Mason, who are getting integrated into the Spurs culture.

It's also a very dangerous tactic because very seldom to teams pick up momentum when the playoffs start. Again, I like the "pound the rock" philosophy that the Spurs have adopted for the journey itself. However, I completely dislike the proverbial "flip the switch" philosophy. To simply act as though you don't give a crap about the regular season and not competing hard on a game-to-game basis until the playoffs start is questionable tactic.

Bartleby
03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm not worried, more or less .

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
It's a tenuous line to walk, because for the unproven players it gives them a sense of entitlement which they have not earned.

For these individuals, they at the least should go all out, even as the big 3 show lack of interest at times. The hitch is that if you don't see your star players setting the example then maybe somewhere in the back of your mind you don't feel you need to as well.

That's dangerous thinking, but hopefully they find it in themselves to play hard regardless. I believe at least in Bonner's case he has pushed through that barrier. Mason and Hill are still on the wrong side.

The Spurs Core have in the past shown they are capable of going into another gear.

But you can't be content with past success.

I stated earlier in another thread, that if you go into a game with the idea that you will start slow and then turn it up when it 'matters'... and the other team comes into the fray with their entire will and focus to obliterate you, the game will be decided before you have a chance to turn it on, unless your skill is far superior to that of your opponent.

As a fan I would love to Spurs to go all out every game, but that is selfish.

The reality I hope is that the Spurs are 'weakening' themselves, with these odd line ups etc..

I am reminded of the book 'Musashi' about a self taught samurai who would end up being the greatest swordsman in Japan.

During his journey, he encounters a monk that informs him that "You're too strong, much too strong. Your strength is your problem. You must learn to control it, to become weaker."

Maybe with the way things panned out last year Pop has this in mind.

it's me
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Tim looked better … that’s the most important thing now…. We should also have in mind we played a diminished hornets team… they thought it was a win before playing the game…. That will never happen during play offs.

ulosturedge
03-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Pop is gonna mix it up and play everyone until the end of the regular season so just deal with it. But if he doesn't revert the majority of minutes back to our starters during the playoffs then we are probably gonna have some problems.

I wasn't worried about this game cause it was obvious that the hornets want nothing to do with the Lakers in the first round. They are doing whatever it takes to steer clear of that 8th seed spot. They came in with a "must win" attitude and they got it done. So I give them credit. We on the other hand missed a ton of 3 pointers and maybe took too many anyways.

I am encouraged by the team chemistry though and to me its more on Pop as to why we aren't keeping leads or extending leads. He is trying to play EVERYONE til the end of the regular season apparently. If he doesn't get away from that shit come playoff time I think we are in serious trouble. If we have a lead and Parker is still fresh then keep his ass out there and keep putting the pressure on, same thing with Manu and so forth. If he keeps up this 25man rotation shit we are done in the playoffs.

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 11:07 AM
To be fair, Pop still isn't sure what he has as far as in game situations due to the rash of injuries the Spurs have sustained.

He has been forced to experiment longer than usual, but a shortening in the rotation is imminent.

spurtech09
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I think we have a better team this yr...but with the new players and the rookies I still think there still learning the pops system.....the spurs will be ok though.....im not worried

Bukefal
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
The same, we should not be so negative as some of you are suddenly. Where is your faith in the team? Be positive, everything will be just allright. Go Spurs GO!!!

Spursfan092120
03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Pop's coaching in the reg. season and the playoffs are totally different. That's why I haven't said anything about it. It'll be different all together come playoff time.

purist
03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I think Spurs will be fine, especially when the rotations tighten.
I think Gooden will get starter minutes without starting in the playoffs, and that will help on both ends of the court. He's offensive minded in the post, which we haven't had to pair with Timmy in quite some time. Bonner is a liability if his 3ball isn't falling.

I think the backcourt tightens to a three-man rotation of Parker, Ginobilli and Mason.

I think Bowen gets more time ahead of Udoka, and maybe even starts a game or few.

So the rotations goes like this:

Duncan
Bonner
Finley/Bowen
Parker
Mason

Subs:
Gooden
Thomas
Ginobilli

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I never judge this team during the regular season..never..I don't care if we lose by 20 to OKC, I don't give a shit..

Mavs<Spurs
03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
I think Spurs will be fine, especially when the rotations tighten.
I think Gooden will get starter minutes without starting in the playoffs, and that will help on both ends of the court. He's offensive minded in the post, which we haven't had to pair with Timmy in quite some time. Bonner is a liability if his 3ball isn't falling.

I think the backcourt tightens to a three-man rotation of Parker, Ginobilli and Mason.

I think Bowen gets more time ahead of Udoka, and maybe even starts a game or few.

So the rotations goes like this:

Duncan
Bonner
Finley/Bowen
Parker
Mason

Subs:
Gooden
Thomas
Ginobilli

Hill has to be the back up point guard. And he must get all of those minutes.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

I like Gooden or Thomas to close the game with Duncan unless we are playing a team that is going small. Obviously Manu, Tim and Tony close games. And then that leaves Bruce, Mason or Finley to be the sg/sf and that would depend upon match-up and/or who's having a good night that particular night.

anonoftheinternets
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
........ The reality I hope is that the Spurs are 'weakening' themselves, with these odd line ups etc..

I am reminded of the book 'Musashi' about a self taught samurai who would end up being the greatest swordsman in Japan.

During his journey, he encounters a monk that informs him that "You're too strong, much too strong. Your strength is your problem. You must learn to control it, to become weaker."

Maybe with the way things panned out last year Pop has this in mind.

This. Exactly what i feel when I see pop tinkering, he expects to win in the worst way possible. So that he will know what options he really has in pressure situations.

Yuixafun
03-31-2009, 12:28 AM
This. Exactly what i feel when I see pop tinkering, he expects to win in the worst way possible. So that he will know what options he really has in pressure situations.

:toast

The Spurs for certain have the capacity to play much better.

This is somewhat similar to Phil Jackson not calling a timeout when his team is in trouble, but extrapolated.

Pop took Phil's beard and his Zen and making them his own.

Oh, Gee!!
03-31-2009, 12:29 AM
I feel the same as I did a couple of months back: the Lakers are gonna kick our ass in the WCF's.