PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Still an All-NBA 1st-Teamer?

Galileo
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
A month ago this seemed certain.

Now, I have a little doubt, but still think he will make it:

1) Spurs are still in second and should stay there with the big three back.

2) Spurs third in defensive points allowed per game, despite Bowen not playing much, weak defender Bonner replacing servicable defender Oberto, leading steal man Ginobili out half the year, and only other shot-blocker Horry retiring.

3) Best passing big man in NBA, based on assists and assist/turnover rates.

4) One of only 5 players with double digit rebounds per game, and only Duncan and Howard are potent scoring threats.

5) I don't see any other forward stepping up. Two years ago, the NBA was over-loaded at forward, now it might be the weakest position.

What does the crew think?

2Cleva
03-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Gasol may steal it away.

That's not being a homer. A 10-game lead over whoever finishes #2 (SA no lock at that), combined with the dominance LA has had, the consistency he's played with, and the media attention LA gets and he could get the nod.

JWest596
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
It will probably be determined by the playoffs. It will be the biggest public audience that Tim will have this year by the public's perceptions of his skill sets and will carry forward into next year's voting. Tim throws another remarkable 3 point shot at the buzzer to win a game will probably enure his continuation. And there will be the coach's decisions as well I'll bet he'll be at next year's All Star game. Because Duncan is still better than Gasol, not as young or atheltic but proven and having a living legend status.

Don't forget the mass media MSM rantings of the past 5 years that the Spurs are "too old". Eventually they will be right but it still doesn't excuse their damn laziness in it being their only focus of the Spurs.

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
the only way he doesn't make it is if they put Kobe in as a G/F..

Duncan would have been a lock if it wasn't for the injury..he'll be on the all-NBA 2nd team if he doesn't make the 1st though..

Galileo
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
It will probably be determined by the playoffs. It will be the biggest public audience that Tim will have this year by the public's perceptions of his skill sets and will carry forward into next year's voting. Tim throws another remarkable 3 point shot at the buzzer to win a game will probably enure his continuation. And there will be the coach's decisions as well I'll bet he'll be at next year's All Star game. Because Duncan is still better than Gasol, not as young or atheltic but proven and having a living legend status.

Don't forget the mass media MSM rantings of the past 5 years that the Spurs are "too old". Eventually they will be right but it still doesn't excuse their damn laziness in it being their only focus of the Spurs.

Duncan is ahead of Gasol in PER. Gasol is not as good on D, nor is he a shotblocker. Gasol is a good passer, but not as good as Duncan.

Duncan also has had to deal with more team injuries and lineup changes.

crc21209
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Gasol may steal it away.

That's not being a homer. A 10-game lead over whoever finishes #2 (SA no lock at that), combined with the dominance LA has had, the consistency he's played with, and the media attention LA gets and he could get the nod.

Gasol? :rollin God I want the Lakers so bad in the WCF again. This team, especially TD and Manu...I know they have a bad taste in their mouths from last year.

jag
03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Gasol? :rollin God I want the Lakers so bad in the WCF again. This team, especially TD and Manu...I know they have a bad taste in their mouths from last year.

Do you actually watch basketball?

His #s are almost identical to Duncan's. So i guess you think Duncan is a joke?

19 ppg
9.5 rpg
57% shooting

Not to mention he's playing on a team that's been head and shoulders above anyone else in the West.

Brutalis
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Hm they should be announcing this stuff soon.

crc21209
03-30-2009, 04:04 PM

19 ppg
9.5 rpg
57% shooting

Not to mention he's playing on a team that's been head and shoulders above anyone else in the West.

I'm saying I don't think Gasol is anywhere near the OVERALL player that TD is. TD has been consistent with his numbers like the above ones you posted for years. It's his intensity and leadership on the Defensive side of the ball that makes him an All-NBA 1st teamer. Tim can score, pass, shoot, rebound, and defend. Gasol has never really been known as a defensive presence.

JWest596
03-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Duncan is ahead of Gasol in PER. Gasol is not as good on D, nor is he a shotblocker. Gasol is a good passer, but not as good as Duncan.

Duncan also has had to deal with more team injuries and lineup changes.

You're absolutely correct.
IMO, Gasol still hasn't overcome his "soft" reputation after the Finals last year with Boston. They owned him.

timvp
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Gasol may steal it away.

That's not being a homer.:lmao

Gasol is averaging less points, less rebounds, less blocks and less assists in three more minutes per game. And that's not even factoring in that Duncan is the better defender, has been forced to carry more of a load and has drawn probably five times the number of double-teams this year.

Gasol beating out Duncan for a spot on an All-NBA team would be almost as big of a travesty as the Gasol trade was in the first place. If anything, Jerry West should win the executive of the year award.

AussieFanKurt
03-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah but aren't we used many 'travesty' decisions in this league of ours

crc21209
03-30-2009, 04:10 PM
:lmao

Gasol is averaging less points, less rebounds, less blocks and less assists in three more minutes per game. And that's not even factoring in that Duncan is the better defender, has been forced to carry more of a load and has drawn probably five times the number of double-teams this year.

Gasol beating out Duncan for a spot on an All-NBA team would be almost as big of a travesty as the Gasol trade was in the first place. If anything, Jerry West should win the executive of the year award.

Thank you timvp, exactly what I was saying in the posts above earlier, but in shorter words lol. You explained EVERYTHING right. :toast

Galileo
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM

19 ppg
9.5 rpg
57% shooting

The average Lakers game has 208 points.

The average Spurs game has 190 points.

That bumps Gasol's scoring stats by 10%.

Other stats are bumped as well, including rebounds.

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Don't forget Vujabich's just for the hell of it 3 pointer to end the series as the buzzer went off.

Finley was staring daggers at him for minutes.

Galileo
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Hm they should be announcing this stuff soon.

they don't vote until the regular season is over, and they announce during the playoffs. All the awards are done like that. It is also a way to promote the NBA playoffs, good marketing. They stagger each award every few days, and there are a lot of them:

ROY
MVP
All-NBA team
All-Defensive team
DPOY
6th man award
comeback award
most improved award
sportmanship DRob award
All-rookie team
coach of year

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2009, 04:57 PM
no duncan will not get allnba 1st team

Galileo
03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
they don't vote until the regular season is over, and they announce during the playoffs. All the awards are done like that. It is also a way to promote the NBA playoffs, good marketing. They stagger each award every few days, and there are a lot of them:

ROY
MVP
All-NBA team
All-Defensive team
DPOY
6th man award
comeback award
most improved award
sportmanship DRob award
All-rookie team
coach of year

The NBA isn't like the joke NFL voting where they vote the pro-bowl tema after 11 or 12 weeks. Remember the Brett Favre joke?

One award I'd like to see is the NBA all-Playoff team, like the all-tournament teams they have in college.

I think the NBA is trying to make the regular season more relevant with all the regular season awards, they figure playoff players get more ink anyway.

The awards are a nice way to reawrd great players who maybe are stuck on bad teams and build a little star power for them.

If anyome remembers, Duncan looked like a 1st team lock in 2006, but was injured down the stretch and lost it to Lebron.

Lebron, btw, broke Duncan's modern record as youngest to make 1st-team all-NBA. Actually, Max Zaslofsky back in 1950 is the 2nd youngest, Duncan third.

But Duncan was a rookie who played 4 years of college, while Lebron was in his 3rd year and had a lot more NBA seasoning. Even so, both Lebron and Duncan were 21 during the seasons they first made 1st-team, all-NBA.

J.T.
03-30-2009, 05:12 PM

That's a fair assessment. I'm all for rewarding a team for having an exceptional season. But Duncan is having the best season out of the PFs on the top 4 teams (Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Spurs). It's just that Duncan's name gets thrown out there as a center too much. If I had a ballot this would be my first team:

Chris Paul: leads PGs in assists and steals while averaging 22ppg
Kobe Bryant: 3rd in scoring, reigning MVP
LeBron James: 2nd in scoring, league's best record, probably this season's MVP
Tim Duncan: leads PFs of top teams in most stat categories
Dwight Howard: Superman

You could make a case for Tony Parker on the 1st team too but I don't think he'll get it over Paul.

crc21209
03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Don't forget Vujabich's just for the hell of it 3 pointer to end the series as the buzzer went off.

Finley was staring daggers at him for minutes.

Hell yeah I remember that. :ihit

jdev82
03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
does it matter?
what matters is can he step it up from his unusual injury plagued final stretch play to play 40 mins a game and carry the spurs the way only he can in the playoffs. i feel that the spurs can beat any team that comes out of the east. the lakers are the real challenge. we have to win home games to get out of the first two rounds and if its against the jazz, tim is the key. he has to rewind the clock here and kick some ass like he did last year. thats all that matters. can he take us back where we belong?

Yuixafun
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I dig your sig.