PDA

View Full Version : Question About Bruce

bigkevrocks31
03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Do yall know why Pop isn't playing Bruce?
-is he in the dog house?
-did pop and him have a disagreement?
-or is pop an asshole and just doesnt want to play him?

TampaDude
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Wasn't last night the first DNP-CD for Bowen this year?

bigkevrocks31
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
yeah, but he is getting little minutes now
ime takes over and so does hill

duncan228
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Wasn't last night the first DNP-CD for Bowen this year?

I think it was his first ever as a Spur.

Texas_Ranger
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I think it was his first ever as a Spur.

:(

bigkevrocks31
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
:(

yup. sucks
pop sucks not to play/start him

MaNu4Tres
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Bowen needs Udoka's minutes.

I think that's obvious.

fraga
03-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Pop seems to be all over the f*ckin place with his lineups...keeping Bonner and Thomas in when Gooden, a starter on other teams gets to sit and watch. I have yet to figure out what in hell he's thinking most of the time with the groups he puts out on the floor. Hopefully...hopefully...in the playoffs it will all make some sort of sense...

SA210
03-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Bowen needs to start. I remember winning championships with him in the starting lineup, funny.

poop
03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
we NEED bruce out there as he is still our best perimeter defender. having him not play at all in a close game we lost is inexcusable.

Spursone
03-30-2009, 02:21 PM
:(I'm confused as hell as why Bruce did not play, but maybe there is order in the madness that is Pop's brain. In Pop we trust? We will see in the 1st round.

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Bowen has to play in the playoffs..there's no excuse for him not to play..

he's lost a step, but Bowen losing a step means he's still a good defender..he's obviously better than Ime anyways..it's annoying to see Finley play 25 MPG, while Bowen isn't getting off the bench..

there's NOBODY in the NBA with Bowen's tricks..he gets respect from refs, he gets in other players heads, he can play against multiple positions..

bigkevrocks31
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
If we go down, and we don't win anything this year
ALL the blame will be on coach pop

SA210
03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Spurminator
03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty baffled. I want to believe what we're seeing is Pop maximizing minutes for other players so they can be 100% comfortable with the offensive and defensive schemes by the time the Playoffs arrive. (Bowen doesn't really need the practice, his job on both ends is pretty clear.) But that's a long shot.

It just blows my mind that in a game where we couldn't hit a 3 and we were being out muscled/scrapped a lot of times, there were no minutes to be had for Bruce. If anything it would be nice to have someone out there to throw an elbow back.

vander
03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
he's 37

SA210
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Pop is going through another one of his "The more they criticize me the more I will stick to my way" crap again. And when he does that, we lose.

xtremesteven33
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Bowen still kicks ass.

He should definitely still be in the lineup or AT LEAST in the rotation.

IDK what Pop is thinking

Kori Ellis
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
People should take into account that Bruce might be banged up/be sick/have a sore back/or a number of other things.

taps
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Wasn't one of the major turning points in last year's series the decision to stick Bruce on CP3? I think we won 4 out of the next 5 games when we did that.

xtremesteven33
03-30-2009, 02:50 PM
People should take into account that Bruce might be banged up/be sick/have a sore back/or a number of other things.

Im pretty sure it mightve been reported already.

timvp
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Wasn't one of the major turning points in last year's series the decision to stick Bruce on Peja? I think we won 4 out of the next 5 games when we did that.

Kori Ellis
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Im pretty sure it mightve been reported already.

Bowen's injuries rarely are in the press. When he had back problems last year (or the year before), it was never in the paper. I'm not saying he's injured now. But I'm just saying that you never know.

And the thought of Bruce being in the dog house is funny :lol

xtremesteven33
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Bowen's injuries rarely are in the press. When he had back problems last year (or the year before), it was never in the paper.

Interesting....

but i doubt that is the case. Bruce looks good and healthy it just seems that Pop has given up on sacrifing great defense for stagnant offense and rather go with good offense and mediocre defense. (Mason/Finley)

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Bruce on Peja was great..he absolutely sodomized him all series..that was a great move by Pop..

xtremesteven33
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Bruce on Peja was great..he absolutely sodomized him all series..that was a great move by Pop..

Yea but it took him 2 games to figure it out :lol

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 03:00 PM
that's what fucks me up though..

just last year, Pop had enough confidence to have Bowen guarding the best PG in the NBA..a 36-year old SF guarding the best PG in the NBA for a few games..it didn't work, but that isn't the point..

could Pop's confidence in Bowen have really disappeared so quickly..from guarding elite PGs, to not playing ahead of Ime? it really has to come down to saving him, or Bowen has some injuries, like Kori said..

Allanon
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I think Bowen's lack of PT has alot to do with his lack of shooting. Teams are pretty much leaving Bowen open to go double on Duncan/Parker.

Teams are playing the numbers and numbers say Bowen shoots twice in a game, why even bother defending him?

Bowen's just not shooting this year for whatever reason. Even Ime who only plays 14 minutes per game gets up more shots. Bowen this season has the lowest # of attempts since he was in Miami.

Pop's probably weighing the cost benefit of his defense versus his lack of offense.

superbigtime
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I think Hairston would have been better choice than Ime and Bruce over either of them. At least get Bruce SOME PT which is end of game garbage. Thanks for the loss Pop.

Trimble87
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
seriously people its time for all the Bowen whining to stop... I love the spurs and have loved Bowen's defense for years. But the reason Pop isnt playing Bowen is because he has looked horrible when he gets on the court this year. Ive watched every game this season and the only good game I can remember Bowen having(off the top of my head) is the second half against NJ when he shut down Vince Carter.

90% of the time hes on the court he looks slow and out of sync with the rest of the defense. Its very sad, but the fact is that bowen has lost a step on the defensive end... that combined with his poor shooting this year have earned him a seat on the bench. I really hope he can come back and be a factor for us in the playoffs, but his play so far this year does nothing to make me think that will happen.

Ime is picking up the extra minutes because we just dont have anyone else to give them to. Bowen and Ime are are only SF's and if Bowen is out then that leaves one option.

IMO our #1 concern next offseason should be acquiring a young athletic SF.

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree with Allanon's point of view, but Ime really isn't better than Bruce offensively..I guess he is actually, but not by much..

Bowen makes 3s at a higher rate, and has better shot selection..

HarlemHeat37
03-30-2009, 04:26 PM
seriously people its time for all the Bowen whining to stop... I love the spurs and have loved Bowen's defense for years. But the reason Pop isnt playing Bowen is because he has looked horrible when he gets on the court this year. Ive watched every game this season and the only good game I can remember Bowen having(off the top of my head) is the second half against NJ when he shut down Vince Carter.

90% of the time hes on the court he looks slow and out of sync with the rest of the defense. Its very sad, but the fact is that bowen has lost a step on the defensive end... that combined with his poor shooting this year have earned him a seat on the bench. I really hope he can come back and be a factor for us in the playoffs, but his play so far this year does nothing to make me think that will happen.

Ime is picking up the extra minutes because we just dont have anyone else to give them to. Bowen and Ime are are only SF's and if Bowen is out then that leaves one option.

IMO our #1 concern next offseason should be acquiring a young athletic SF.

I guess you haven't been watching close enough then..

bigkevrocks31
03-30-2009, 06:17 PM
i agree

tmtcsc
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
he's 37

and the best conditioned athlete on the team.

Spursfan092120
03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I'll be laughing when the playoffs start and our starting lineup is

Parker
Mason
Bowen
Gooden
Duncan

And Pop will say...oh..about all those weird lineups in the Reg. Season....

Just Kidding.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JAtlQGqPg_M/STX1JmRT-iI/AAAAAAAAARs/ogLW7EiyLE4/s320/greg_popovich.jpg

Tigole Bitties
03-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Haven't seen Bowen in any new HEB commercials either.... hmm...

tmtcsc
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM

You haven't been watching.

SA210
03-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Was Pop the Director?

peskypesky
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Pop is saving Bowen for the playoffs. Plain and simple. Bowen is still capable of being a fantastic defender for stretches. I was really surprised Pop didn't put him on Chris Paul yesterday to at least see if he could frustrate him....

I guess we'll all find out soon who's right and who's wrong.

VI_Massive
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I tend to think that maybe there is something to the notion that Pop is trying to avoid playing 5 v 4 on offense by keeping 5 players on the floor who are threats to score. However, I think we got a glimpse of the crunch time lineup (minus Manu who was still injured) against Boston, and there were TP-shooting guard-Bowen-Duncan-Thomas on the floor.

I don't know if Bruce will start in the playoffs, but I bet he'll be on the court in crunch time. Hopefully Pop will give him minutes earlier in the game too so he's not cold coming off the bench, but I'll bet he's there in the playoffs.

Spursmania
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
This is a scary thought having no Bruce and Pop only playing Udoka in his place. I hope Pop is better than that or that Bowen was sick. I think we need him and his experience.

03-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Wasn't one of the major turning points in last year's series the decision to stick Bruce on CP3? I think we won 4 out of the next 5 games when we did that.
i was kind of surprised it took popovich that long to figure out bowen couldn't guard paul. if bowen can't perform at 2007 or even 2008 level, spurs' chances of beating the lakers will considerably decrease. udoka isn't the ideal replacement either. seeing how popovich always sticks with his veterans despite a glaring decline (horry), it must be very bad that bowen is being replaced by udoka.

franceout
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
tell y the truth. Bruce is pregnant. so it is illegal to either fire him or play him.

Toni61
03-31-2009, 12:37 AM
I hope he com in the Playoffs in and defend and make 3s

itzsoweezee
03-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Pop is saving Bowen for the playoffs. Plain and simple. Bowen is still capable of being a fantastic defender for stretches. I was really surprised Pop didn't put him on Chris Paul yesterday to at least see if he could frustrate him....

I guess we'll all find out soon who's right and who's wrong.

i really hope you're right. but i think it's wishful thinking on your part.

grannyfan
03-31-2009, 09:19 AM
he shut down carter,, did he not also shut down ron artest 2nd half ? but still that's only 2 games ?? he can help defensively w. some of the "older guys", but he does seem a foot slower w/ most of the younger ones.

Bukefal
03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
he's getting old, his time is over. He cant keep up with the rest of the team. Pop wants to focus on younger guys. Giving others a chance, bowen had his one.

Chomag
03-31-2009, 10:18 AM
I still think Bowen is a better player then Ime, and thats even after his decline.

At first I thought Pop was saving him for the playoffs but as we get closer and closer to it I'm starting to question that motive.

Maybe Pop is trying to learn from his mistake of overplaying a declining player like Horry and he doesn't want to make that mistake twice. However then he goes and plays Finley minutes as if he is a NBA starter in his prime so I'm a bit lost what Pop has planed.

ginobilized
03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Maybe since Peja was out Pop didn't feel he needed to play Bowen.

It's all quite mysterious though....I guess we'll see when the playoff happen.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Bowen has had a great list of performances this season..

do people really forget that easily?..

Trimble87
03-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Bowen has had a great list of performances this season..

do people really forget that easily?..

I went back over the games, and can think of 2-3 great defensive performances, a handfull of good games, and then the rest is pure mediocracy. Bowen has had some games where he looked good, but he has had far more where he looked old and slow.

A perfect example is in one of the earlier games against the hornets this season. There was a stretch where Pop tried Bowen on Paul and 3-4 plays in a row paul blew right past him, Bruce might as well have been standing still. His experience and knowledge on defense are always going to be valuable. But he has not looked like an elite perimeter defender this year.

I imagine Pop looks at it like this: in the playoffs he can insert Bowen and if he plays well, great, but if he doesent then he needs backups ready to step up into that role. The regular season is the perfect time to get Imethe minutes he needs to be ready for that role.

I expect to see Bowen in the lineup in the playoffs, but definitely not as a starter and if his play slips to what weve seen, too often for my tastes, this season then Ime will be ready to come in.

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I went back over the games, and can think of 2-3 great defensive performances, a handfull of good games, and then the rest is pure mediocracy. Bowen has had some games where he looked good, but he has had far more where he looked old and slow.

A perfect example is in one of the earlier games against the hornets this season. There was a stretch where Pop tried Bowen on Paul and 3-4 plays in a row paul blew right past him, Bruce might as well have been standing still. His experience and knowledge on defense are always going to be valuable. But he has not looked like an elite perimeter defender this year.

I imagine Pop looks at it like this: in the playoffs he can insert Bowen and if he plays well, great, but if he doesent then he needs backups ready to step up into that role. The regular season is the perfect time to get Imethe minutes he needs to be ready for that role.

I expect to see Bowen in the lineup in the playoffs, but definitely not as a starter and if his play slips to what weve seen, too often for my tastes, this season then Ime will be ready to come in.

I think Bowen has lost a step but he is still a much better defender than Ime is. Couple that with the fact that his corner 3 is much more reliable, I really don't see the sense in not playing him. Udoka is slow footed, fouls too much and has horrendous shot selection. I also never thought I would see a Spurs player finish at the rim worse than Bowen but Udoka is that guy, his decisions in the fast break are terrible as well. If Bowen was going to be given the cold shoulder, I would have much rather seen Hairston get Udoka's minutes...

Spursone
03-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Agreed. Remember in 2006 and how we played SMALL against Dallas and Lost.:wow

de Soto
03-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Do yall know why Pop isn't playing Bruce?
-is he in the dog house?
-did pop and him have a disagreement?
-or is pop an asshole and just doesnt want to play him?

None of the above. Bowen just isn't performing as expected.

de Soto
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Ahhhh...let me correct my erroneous statement above. Pop is SAVING the best players for the playoffs. Now there, I'm back with the company policy.:lol