PDA

View Full Version : Man kills 2 of his sisters at birthday party

sonic21
03-30-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511340,00.html (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511340,00.html)

MILTON, Massachusetts — A man on a rampage fatally stabbed his 17-year-old sister, decapitated his 5-year-old sister in front of a police officer and then turned toward his 9-year-old sister with a knife in his hand before officers shot him dead in what their chief described as "a killing field."

There was no clear motive for the events that unfolded Saturday, the day after the 5-year-old's birthday, in a tony Boston suburb that also is home to Gov. Deval Patrick. But there was no doubt at the carnage wrought by 23-year-old Kerby Revelus against his sisters in the two-family home they shared with their parents and grandmother.

Five-year-old Bianca was killed as a cake for her birthday, which investigators believe was Friday, sat on the kitchen table. Nine-year-old Sarafina dialed emergency services and watched police shoot her brother as her elder sister, 17-year-old Samantha, lay dead on the floor.

Sarafina was hospitalized Sunday with defensive wounds to her hands and stab wounds in her abdomen and one of her legs, police said.

"In policing, we see the raw human emotion every day, but to think that a human being could afflict such an atrocious, violent act on his own family is unbelievable," Milton police Chief Richard G. Wells Jr. said. "When I walked up to the first officer (on the scene), I could see the whole story right in his face. This just told me that this was something very bad."

Saturday's attack came about 24 hours after Revelus had gotten into a fistfight with a man living next door, Wells said.

"Blows were exchanged," he said. "I don't know the cause of it, but we're confident that did happen. He had been agitated in the hours that followed that, going into the day and last night."

Investigators believe Revelus targeted Samantha, a senior at Milton High School, and fatally stabbed her with a household knife while their grandmother, who neighbors say lives on the first floor, was doing laundry in the basement. The children's parents, whose identities weren't immediately revealed, were away; their mother is a nurse at a Boston hospital, Wells said.

Sarafina, a student at the Tucker Elementary School, just behind the house, called police around 5 p.m. local time. An officer on patrol in the neighborhood arrived within a minute, Wells said, and could hear an altercation inside as he reached the second floor. The police dispatcher operator tried to persuade Sarafina to open the door, but when she didn't the officer broke through.

"As the officer entered the door, (Revelus) decapitated (Bianca) in front of him," Wells said. "He actually walked into a killing field. He walked into such carnage, as far as the atrocity of it, I've never seen it."

Within moments, four officers were inside and two of them shot Revelus as he tried to get to Sarafina, Wells said. Revelus fell, still clutching the knife.

Details about the number of shots and who killed Revelus were pending the outcome of an autopsy Sunday.

Revelus had recently served jail time on a gun charge, Wells said, but the details would not be released until courts opened Monday. Neighbors said Revelus was in a car that was pulled over by police and from which one occupant threw a gun into a sewer.

Police had been called to the family's house in 2004 after a domestic violence report that Revelus had punched a woman living there, Wells said.

A neighbor, Norm Walsh, said his daughter Kate Walsh, a New Hampshire police officer, reported hearing two shots as she went outside to bring in groceries from the family car. Moments later, a blood-covered officer emerged carrying Sarafina, seeking towels to stanch her bleeding.

"It's shocking to me," said Norm Walsh, whose son is the same age as Revelus. "He played a lot of pickup hoop in the driveway."

Walsh said the family members had lived in the neighborhood for more than 20 years and were warm. They were of Haitian descent, as are many residents in the neighborhood, where Creole is spoken alongside English.

"The family is a solid family. Both parents worked; good kids. Completely makes no sense," Walsh said.

Samantha's classmates referred to her by her nickname, Princess, and remarked at her grace, class and friendliness. She had been one of about 20 students who had been at the high school Saturday afternoon to rehearse for a poetry jam on Thursday. Saturday morning, Samantha also had practiced for a school fashion show.

"She had a stage presence like you couldn't believe," classmate Kassi Stein said.

Sobbing, she added: "She had just a soft voice and everyone would lean in to hear what she was saying."

In one of the poems Samantha was to recite, "Acquaintance," she wrote of the strength of women in the face of "ignorant souls."

The poem closed, "So what lousy wind brought you here? What values you offer? She's a woman, a queen, a goddess. Don't treat her like any other."

A two-hour grief counseling session was held at the school Sunday afternoon and will be offered Monday to students and employees.

The officers involved in the case were placed on administrative leave and were receiving counseling from the Boston Police Department.

Bukefal
03-30-2009, 03:50 PM
sick bastard

lebomb
03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
:depressed

Cry Havoc
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
That is hard to even read, let alone experience.

lefty
03-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I wish I didn't read that.

I'm really depressed now

Viva Las Espuelas
03-30-2009, 04:04 PM
i just don't understand how he beheaded her with a cop looking at him.

Kori Ellis
03-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Here's some more details...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/30/cryptic_talk_despair_then_an_afternoon_of_horror/?page=full

Cryptic talk, despair, then an afternoon of horror

Kerby Revelus often seemed confused to neighbors and friends after he returned home several months ago from a stint in jail.

Neighbor Abdul Kamara said that some mornings, Revelus would stroll down Belvoir Street as people headed to work, talking nonsensically and taking swigs from a bottle in a brown bag. Sometimes he would talk cryptically about God's purpose for him, Kamara said, and other times he acted edgy and hostile.

"Sometimes he was friendly, and sometimes he would just lose it," said Kamara, 24. "Ever since he came out [of jail] the second time, he wasn't the same."

A clearer picture emerged yesterday of Revelus, the 23-year-old who had been depressed recently because his criminal record was preventing him from finding a job, a relative said.

Milton police said Revelus stabbed two of his sisters to death and attacked a third in their family home late Saturday afternoon. The horrific nature of the crime, Milton Police Chief Richard G. Wells said, is likely to haunt investigators for years to come.

After receiving a report of a domestic disturbance at the Revelus home, officers arrived at the house in less than a minute, Wells said. They kicked in an upstairs door, only to watch Revelus, armed with a kitchen knife, grab his 5-year-old sister, Bianca, and sever her head. Then he moved to the bedroom and turned the knife on 9-year-old Saraphina and began stabbing her. A third sister, 17-year-old Samantha, already had been stabbed to death in the same room.

Wells said phone tapes recorded the arrival of police on the second floor and officers ordering Kerby Revelus to "Stop!" and "Get down!"

Kerby Revelus didn't listen. "It was like the officers weren't even there," he said.

Police shot Kerby Revelus dead, Wells said, and one of the officers rushed Saraphina out of the house, bloody and crying for her mother, but alive.

She was taken to Boston Medical Center with multiple stab wounds. Police said yesterday that she was recovering and with her parents. Police attempts to resuscitate Samantha were unsuccessful.

On Friday, the household had been celebrating the youngest girl's 5th birthday. Wells said that later the same night, Kerby Revelus got into a fistfight with a neighbor. Investigators are trying to determine why, Wells said, but the dispute somehow triggered the violent attack on his sisters Saturday.

"We don't know the reasons for the fight," Wells said yesterday. "I'm just not sure and the only eyewitness left is the 9-year-old girl."

Five officers have been placed on paid leave, Wells said, and have received counseling for stress and trauma. The officer who witnessed the attack on Bianca was a 10-year veteran of the department. Another officer is a rookie who has been with the department six months.

Revelus had at least two prior gun charges. In 2005, he allegedly showed a gun clip in an attempt to intimidate a package store clerk in Randolph who refused to serve him. In 2007, he was arrested with two other men in a car on Hebron Street in Boston and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawful possession of a loaded firearm.

Revelus had been depressed in recent weeks because the weapons charge on his record was preventing him from finding a job, friends and relatives said.

Fritzner Oxilas, an uncle of Revelus who drove from New York City yesterday to be with the family, said he spoke to Kerby two weeks ago and that Kerby said he "felt like he was nothing."

"He said, 'Everywhere I applied, they don't want to take me because I was in jail. I'm trying to change my life,' " but nobody wanted to help him, Oxilas said. "I told him, 'Don't say that. You got your family behind you.' "

Another Revelus sibling, Jessica, 21, of Hyde Park, said her parents, Regine, 42, who works at Brigham and Women's Hospital, and Vronze, 45, who is a bus driver for Local Motion, a private transport company, were at work when the attack occurred.

The mother is beside herself, Jessica said. "She is just like, 'I can't believe I have to bury three kids.' " Her father, Jessica said, was especially attached to his youngest, Bianca.

Jessica said Kerby and Bianca were her biological siblings. Their parents adopted Samantha and Saraphina and brought them from Haiti around 2004. Saraphina's father is the nephew of Samatha's father, who died in Haiti.

"Samantha was into fashion and had a 3.6 GPA," she said. "She liked to write poetry and was quiet."

She added that Bianca liked to watch cartoons and was excited to start kindergarten next year. "Bianca, she turned 5 on Friday. 5 for one day."

Jessica said she was planning to buy Samantha her prom dress next weekend. She said Kerby "listened to rap music. When he got out of jail, it definitely changed him. Jail made him worse. He was a badass and all, but jail, it . . . wasn't a good place for him."

Alpha Kamara, who lives next door to the Revelus house, said he went to high school with Kerby Revelus and that he had been acting strangely, waxing philosophical about the meaning of life, telling weird stories, even stealing a pair of his underwear.

"We were talking Friday and he's telling about life, questioning people's lives and talking about Jesus. He was talking crazy," Kamara said.

Conversations with Kerby Revelus grew increasingly irrational, and Alpha Kamara said he seemed to grow detached. Kamara said the two had recently been talking about their former girlfriends when Kerby Revelus suddenly stopped and started talking about religion.

"He starts telling me about death and that same stuff, what the meaning of life is, how to live, 'Do you believe in Jesus,' making the sign of the cross, kissing the cross, and everything."

The Kamaras said they were not involved in the fistfight on Friday.

Alpha Kamara said that 10 minutes before the attack on the sisters, Kerby Revelus had been talking with him in a similar vein. Kamara said he left Revelus, but when he went back out a short time later, he saw police.

"I see blood, and I started thinking, the way he's been talking, he probably killed the kids and killed himself," he said.

Oxilas said he was at a loss to explain what triggered Saturday's violence. Family members gathered yesterday at an aunt's house nearby to mourn together.

"I know he's had his problems in and out, but nothing that would indicate anything like that," said Norm Walsh, a neighbor who said he has lived two houses away from the Revelus family for more than 20 years. "As far as I know, they were a great family."

Walsh said Kerby Revelus lived in the home with his family until his arrest when he "dropped off the scene."

A MySpace page that appeared to have belonged to Kerby Revelus listed his nickname as "Sparx" and shows his liking for rap and gang culture. One video on the site, "Gucci Mane Glockumentary," features rappers with guns.

Revelus's behavior starkly contrasts with that of his parents, churchgoers who were widely described as hard workers.

"They tried to raise their kids the right way," said Marie Simon, a distant relative of the family. "There was no trouble that I know of. I still cannot believe it."

The Rev. Rosette Falaise, pastor of Bethel Pentecostal Haitian Church in Dorchester's Fields Corner, said the mother was a member. She said Kerby Revelus did not attend church often, but that from what she could see he loved his younger sisters.

"They are sweet people," Falaise said.

peewee's lovechild
03-30-2009, 04:17 PM
This is just horrible.

A 5 year old girl. Poor soul never got to enjoy life.

This is heart wrentching.

duncan228
03-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh God. :(

Some things are beyond comprehension.

mardigan
03-30-2009, 04:58 PM
I really wish I hadn't read that. Poor little girls. So sad.

BlackSwordsMan
03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
damn she got her head cut off

xtremesteven33
03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
That guys gonna burn in Hell

BlackSwordsMan
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
it has to exist first

SA210
03-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Don't even know what to say :depressed

mrsmaalox
03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Absolutely horrific. Poor family. :(

tp2021
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
How is it even possible to see a decapitation to completion with just a knife? Jesus christ

tlongII
03-30-2009, 06:49 PM
That is the most horrible story I think I've ever read. :depressed

CuckingFunt
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
If the cops ended up shooting the guy in the head, how on earth did that not happen before he completed the removal of his sister's head? That's fucking insane.

jack sommerset
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
If the cops ended up shooting the guy in the head, how on earth did that not happen before he completed the removal of his sister's head? That's fucking insane.

Thats what Ive been saying.

David Bowie
03-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I've heard about it this morning. Horrible. I live in Boston. 3 women were randomly raped on the street I live in 2 years ago. crime has really been rising here.

Cry Havoc
03-30-2009, 08:54 PM

I'm guessing even the cops were a little surprised by the situation. I mean, even dealing with scum as they do, it's just not something you expect to walk into a house and see a young man killing his two sisters. There was no motive here, which probably means the situation was unpredictable. The killer sees the cops, goes ballistic, and before they can get a bead on him, he's... well... :depressed

Awful story.

The Franchise
03-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I want to call him a monster, but I don't even think it was him when he was killing them. It seems like his mind was gone. This family may never get over this gut wrenching event. :depressed

Vinnie_Johnson
03-30-2009, 10:23 PM
That is the most horrible story I think I've ever read. :depressed

+1:wow

DPG21920
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
My prayers go out these people. My heart weighs a million pounds after reading this.

pawe
03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
If you're crazy, do you really know you're crazy and what's going on?
He snapped and lost his mind because of jail time for being a badass and the poor girls were the one who suffered..life is really unfair sometimes.

Oh, Gee!!
03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
it has to exist first

hell exists here on earth--it did for this family for sure.

BruceBowenFan
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Damn i wish i did not read this.

AussieFanKurt
03-31-2009, 07:06 AM
that is some seriously fucked up shit

2Blonde
03-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I wonder if this young man's recent bizarre behavior was possibly due to the onset on of schizophrenia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Cry Havoc
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
I wonder if this young man's recent bizarre behavior was possibly due to the onset on of schizophrenia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

It could have been any number of disorders. There are many mental disorders that cause a high level of disordered thinking and a detachment from reality. Not to mention the number of controlled substances he could have been on.

2Blonde
03-31-2009, 09:54 PM
It could have been any number of disorders. There are many mental disorders that cause a high level of disordered thinking and a detachment from reality. Not to mention the number of controlled substances he could have been on.
I was going w/ Schizo b/c of the irrational behavior, sudden onset, his age and the religous statements he was making lately. But like I said, I was just wondering, not diagnosing. My aunt was schizophrenic & my ex-husband was an un-medicated bi-polar. So I've been around that block before.