PDA

View Full Version : Lebanon

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Anyone been paying attention to what's been happening over there?

It's crazy. I admit I was a little skeptical, after studying Islam in college, how well democracy could take to that part of the world.

But you've got the Lebanese demonstrating in the street telling Syria to go fuck themselves and bring on elections like in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Palestine.

What's going on in the Mideast right now is akin to the fall of the Berlin Wall. Amazing stuff.

Drachen
03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Well it is a little confusing since the first demonstration a few weeks ago telling syria to leave (numbering about 50k people), was immediately followed a day or two later by a much larger (500k people) demonstration that was pro-syrian. Who really knows where this is going.

MannyIsGod
03-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Well Syria is pulling out, Israel making steps (they still need to back the fuck away from that fence/wall), and Iraq is working out.

The middle east is starting to come around.

exstatic
03-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Democracy in Lebanon will mean a healthy dose of Hezbollah in their parliament and a general Shi'ite-centric government.

Guru of Nothing
03-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Demographics por favor.

It's long been my perception that Lebanon is not predominately Muslim. Alas, I am not a geo-political geek.

Nbadan
03-15-2005, 11:36 PM
It's long been my perception that Lebanon is not predominately Muslim. Alas, I am not a geo-political geek.

Predominately yes, but they also have a sizeable Christian minority and I bet you can guess which side wants the Syrians gone more, and also which side the U.S. and Israel would love to see leading Lebanon. Europe should be getting much more credit for any progress being made in Lebanon because they have much more to lose if things sour, in capital investments, but given that the Palestinians and the Euro are nemisis of the current U.S. administration, you probably won't hear this from our MSM.

exstatic
03-16-2005, 12:09 AM
...and also which side the U.S. and Israel would love to see leading Lebanon.

Not going to happen if they are truly democratic. The demographics are about 60% Muslim, 40% Christian.
Lebanon demographics (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/D/De/Demographics_of_Lebanon.htm)

Nbadan
03-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Not going to happen if they are truly democratic. The demographics are about 60% Muslim, 40% Christian.

The U.S. cares about democracy in Lebanon only insofar as it affects Israel, Syria and the geopolitical influence of the West in the region. All they have to do is get a foothold of influence and they can go home and claim premature victory (like Aggie likes to do).

travis2
03-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Well it is a little confusing since the first demonstration a few weeks ago telling syria to leave (numbering about 50k people), was immediately followed a day or two later by a much larger (500k people) demonstration that was pro-syrian. Who really knows where this is going.

...followed recently by another demonstration >1 million telling Syria to leave again.

JoeChalupa
03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Followed by another demonstration.....demonstrations are part of democracy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Poor Dan, it's gotta suck to be wrong all the time.

Guru of Nothing
03-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Lebanon demographics (http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/D/De/Demographics_of_Lebanon.htm)

Cool link.

Nbadan
03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Poor Dan, it's gotta suck to be wrong all the time.

What has the White House done to promote peace in Lebanon? (Well, except for getting rid of Arafa....errr)

Seems to me that Israel and Lebanon are working out their own issues, the Israelis slowing giving back Palestinian land. Jerrico just this week, and the Palestinians restraining resistance attacks by Hamas, Hezbolah, the Islamic Jihad and other Palestinian groups. The number of which have dwindled since Arafat's death.

If there has been any outside influence drawing these two together it has been by Europe, but you don't see the Euro's pumping up the possibility of a future democracy in Lebanon the way the Bush administration and some goones in this forum have been cheerleading the rosey prospects for 'liberty', and 'freedom' in Iraq. I wonder If the * administration had gone to Congress and the American people honestly and said, "Were going to go into Iraq, Unseat Saddam, fight a multi-year dirty war to try and do what has never been done before in the history of warfare - win a guarilla war, and were gonna spend $280 billion dollars in the first three years in the process, but the Iraqi people will have a sort of democracy" how many Conservative Republicans would have really gone for it?

iminlakerland
03-28-2005, 04:34 AM
<<< Lebanese here...and let me fill you in on those demonstrations by supporters for the syrians...

Number one many Lebanese people to this day do not want Syrian control in lebanon, they have been wanting them out for many years now. The reason for just 50k demonstraters is the reason of fear. Would you protest against a militia that is still present in your territory that intimidates you and can kill you at will? Lets not bring in the Syrian army and there intelligence that is still present in Beirut as well?

Secondly i have family in Lebanon. From what they have said the day that the Pro Syrians demonstrated busses of people were shipped into lebanon to demonstrate. These were not lebanese citizens protesting. Further research shows that there are about 1.4 million syrians residing in lebanon as well working in that country and making a damn good living. Would you not be out there as well if you had it made?