PDA

View Full Version : Couple Ties The Knot With A Spurific Wedding

duncan228
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Photo album here (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/wedding_090324.html).

Couple Ties the Knot with a Spurific Wedding (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/wedding_090324.html)
by Shepherd McAllister for spurs.com

Wedding bells rang before the first horn sounded March 22 at the AT&T Center. Before the Spurs took to the court to take on the Houston Rockets, partial-season ticket holder Lori Buegeler tied the knot with her new husband Gil in the first wedding ever at the AT&T Center.

Lori's motivation to host such a unique wedding was rooted in her love of Spurs basketball.

“I’m a huge Spurs fan,” she said. “I’ve been married before, and I told myself that if I got married again I wanted to get married on the court.”

Holding the wedding at center court was a logical conclusion to the couple’s courtship; most of their dates have been in section 224 at Spurs games.

“I’m a partial-season ticket holder, and every time he wanted to go out I would say ‘well I have a Spurs game! Either go to the Spurs game or we don’t go out.’…I couldn’t think of a more appropriate place to get married.”

Attendee Josie Fernandez agreed and said, “(Lori) is the number one Spurs fan, so it was awesome to see her get married on the actual Spurs’ court.”

The wedding party was just as unique as the wedding itself. The groom wore a suit jacket over a black Manu Ginobili jersey. The guests, also dressed in Spurs attire, chose to forego chairs and aisles, and stood in a loose semicircle around the center court logo during the ceremony. The bride emerged from the players’ entrance tunnel and was given away by WOAI Sports Anchors Don Harris and David Chancellor. It is safe to say that there has never been a wedding quite like this one.

After the short ceremony, the newlyweds and their guests meandered on the court taking pictures and soaking in their unique surroundings. Lori and Gil purchased over 100 seats in section 210 for the guests, all of whom sat courtside during the pregame shootaround before heading to Club 200 for the game.

Fernandez raved, “It encompassed everything. It encompassed seeing her be happy and get married, and seeing the Spurs play. What better deal could we have gotten?”

Lori was glad to help her friends experience the AT&T Center firsthand.

“A lot of my friends and family from out of town have never been to a professional game, and they are huge Spurs fans, so this is like having your cake and eating it too; having our wedding and where it is.”

The newlyweds’ fun did not end after the wedding. The happy couple got to be Superfans, sitting on the Spurs bench during warm-ups and high-fiving the players during the starting lineups.

Later, they were even introduced to the crowd on the Lighthouse amid raucous applause.

Lori could not have been happier with her decision to have such a unique ceremony.

“This is something that none of us will probably ever forget…it’s like a little Cinderella story.”

AussieFanKurt
03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
haha wow
that doesnt sound too bad.
though i dont know whether i'd like to get married on a court, no friends would come

Bukefal
03-30-2009, 05:26 PM
hehe, cool! would love to do that myself too, but i don't think i can get this into my girl her mind, to wed there :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Congrats 228!

carina_gino20
03-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Congrats 228!

:lmao

duncan228
03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
:lol I was nowhere near the place.

Spursfan092120
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
freaking phenomenal.

Summers
03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I have dreams that involve the Spurs and a wedding, but they don't go quite like this.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Summers, I just noticed the sig. Where'd you find my pic?

Summers
03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Summers, I just noticed the sig. Where'd you find my pic?

Hey, baby, how you doin'?

Spur-Addict
03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Women who like basketball are awesome.

Avitus1
03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I went to this game with my gf. We were in 211 and she kept going "I think she just got married" and pointing at this one chick. I was like "Thats awesome I'd go to a Spurs Game on my wedding." They did one better! Upon telling my GF about this she told me "It's not going to happen..."

Still pretty cool though.

duncan228
03-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Women who like basketball are awesome.

:gpower