PDA

View Full Version : Who is the world's biggest living Celebrity?

Pages : [1] 2

Thunder Dan
03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
My friends and I had this discussion this weekend, and we came up with this list. Who do you think the world's biggest Celebrity is? We chose to not allow politicians so don't vote for Obama,Bush or any of the Royal Families. The person must be living. We based the argument on, if they all showed up to the same hotel whether it is in New York, a small town in Germany, or somewhere in Japan, and there was only one room left- who wouldn't get turned away.

These are the people that made out list. If there is someone missing vote other and mention them

I voted for Mick Jagger because he is the lead singer of what basically is the 2nd best band ever in the world. His face is recognizable by hundreds of millions of people- maybe even billions. He has been in the public eye for well over 40 years, and you know who they are referring to with the symbol of just lips. I voted him over McCartney in a tough choice.

stretch
03-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Michael Jordan or Oprah.

monosylab1k
03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Oprah easily.

And McCartney is bigger than Mick. Mick needs Keith by his side for people to care.

Thunder Dan
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I questioned even putting Oprah on the list- the thought of someone at a hotel turning one of the Beatles or the lead singer of the Stones away for Oprah just seemed too ridiculous

CuckingFunt
03-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Michael Jackson. Still.

monosylab1k
03-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I questioned even putting Oprah on the list- the thought of someone at a hotel turning one of the Beatles or the lead singer of the Stones away for Oprah just seemed too ridiculous

Is that someone at the hotel a woman?

Thunder Dan
03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Is that someone at the hotel a woman?
could be, just a random person

I guess gender matters, but still. I mean Jordan is the biggest in my own personal life, but I would still have to give the room to Jagger. I would feel really bad to turn Jordan away, but Jagger is bigger

It's a pretty good argument and discussion. We already have 6 votes for 6 different people on the list. It's hard to eliminate anyone from it either. The person to fall off the list in 9th place was Tom Cruise

monosylab1k
03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
could be, just a random person

I guess gender matters, but still. I mean Jordan is the biggest in my own personal life, but I would still have to give the room to Jagger. I would feel really bad to turn Jordan away, but Jagger is bigger

And that's it right there. Men will argue over & choose any one of the men on that list, but women will almost unanimously pick Oprah. Sheer numbers gives it to Oprah, she's got 50% of the population behind her by default.

CuckingFunt
03-30-2009, 07:22 PM
And that's it right there. Men will argue over & choose any one of the men on that list, but women will almost unanimously pick Oprah. Sheer numbers gives it to Oprah, she's got 50% of the population behind her by default.

How so?

I assume your point is that women would choose Oprah because they like her more, but, even if that were true, isn't the question "who is the biggest celebrity"? Maybe that would be an issue if the thread was asking which big celebrity we liked the most, but I just don't see it as is.

monosylab1k
03-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I assume your point is that women would choose Oprah because they like her more, but, even if that were true, isn't the question "who is the biggest celebrity"?

Isn't that pretty much the same thing? She's easily the most powerful of everyone listed, loved by pretty much everybody, and she's got one half of the human race in her back pocket.

Thunder Dan
03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
How so?

I assume your point is that women would choose Oprah because they like her more, but, even if that were true, isn't the question "who is the biggest celebrity"? Maybe that would be an issue if the thread was asking which big celebrity we liked the most, but I just don't see it as is.

well since they are all basically in that uber celeb stratosphere we kind of found it difficult to rank them and argue with achievements. Like how do you compare what Jordan did to what Michael Jackson or Paul McCartney did? How can you take Oprah and compare her to Tiger Woods? So we basically made is about who would your average person be star struck the most to see. Which one of them, if they all walked in the door together, would the average person mention first when they told their friends. Just assuming the average person could be a guy or girl, white or black, rich or poor. I understand that all of those factors will play a role in who they would choose, but try to look at it as more of a big picture. If you took 100 random, average, people who would top out?

CuckingFunt
Isn't that pretty much the same thing? She's easily the most powerful of everyone listed, loved by pretty much everybody, and she's got one half of the human race in her back pocket.

I don't know why you assume that she's automatically got the female vote. I know just as many women who hate Oprah as love her.

monosylab1k
And the fact that Muhammad Ali's name isn't even spelled right probably means he doesn't belong.

englishspursfan
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
the pope.

monosylab1k
03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't know why you assume that she's automatically got the female vote.

Oprah could endorse brushing your teeth with dog shit, and the next day 90% of the women you see would have brown ass teeth.

Thunder Dan
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
And the fact that Muhammad Ali's name isn't even spelled right probably means he doesn't belong.

he is last on my list so it's no surprise I didn't know how to spell his name

Thunder Dan
03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
the pope.

I don't think the new pope is as big as any of the listed celebs at this point. Maybe the last Pope, but I don't even know if I would recognize the new Pope if I saw him walking in a Mall.

CuckingFunt
03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I didn't take the hotel analogy into consideration when voting. I just went with Michael Jackson because, despite not having given us anything other than weirdness, molestation, and crappy music in the last 20 years or so, he still draws massive crowds camping out outside his hotel room in whatever podunk, third world corner of the globe he visits.

florige
03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Michael Jordan or Michael Jackson easy. Any and everybody can associate those two names with their profession. Tiger probably in a few more years.

Strike
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Oprah, depending on whether or not she recently dieted.

You meant biggest as in fattest, right?

mardigan
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I would still think Elvis is bigger than both Mcartney or Jagger, although I'm not sure where he would rank overall on this list.

dirk4mvp
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I would still think Elvis is bigger than both Mcartney or Jagger, although I'm not sure where he would rank overall on this list.

Are you one of those guys who still thinks he's alive?

IronMexican
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Tiger Woods

mardigan
03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Are you one of those guys who still thinks he's alive?

:lmao
I didn't even see the living part.

IronMexican
03-30-2009, 08:44 PM

The Franchise
03-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Michael Jackson. Still.

Yeah even after all of his troubles he is still the most recognizable celebrity period. You can go to a remote village in the Amazon basin and find a motherfucker who knows who he is. Oprah and MJ are a distant second, sad but true.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Half the world doesn't even know who the fuck Oprah is. Some of you seem to think the world = US...

DAF86
03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Meh, a little (a lot really) too US oriented. Oprah doesn't exist outside America, you can't leave Maradona and Pele out of this. IMO of your list the only ones that can compete with these two are Ali and Jagger. Even though I'm a huge Jordan fan.

DAF86
03-30-2009, 10:52 PM
One more thing: Federer and Nadal are just as big as Tiger in the rest of the world.

Leetonidas
03-30-2009, 10:54 PM
http://www.brianbeutler.com/George_Bush.jpg

jaffies
03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Oprah could endorse brushing your teeth with dog shit, and the next day 90% of the women you see would have brown ass teeth.

Women in America. Not men in America, or women anywhere else in the world. Plus, I just don't get Oprah.

I don't think the new pope is as big as any of the listed celebs at this point. Maybe the last Pope, but I don't even know if I would recognize the new Pope if I saw him walking in a Mall.

I wouldn't recognize him either, nor am I Catholic. But considering over 1 billion people on this planet are Roman Catholic, he would be more popular than some of the people on the list.

and +1 for Michael Jackson.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Michael Jackson. Still.

Gotta agree here.

byrdman31
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
obama

monosylab1k
03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Half the world doesn't even know who the fuck Oprah is. Some of you seem to think the world = US...

Like the rest of the world's opinion matters. Oprah has enough money to buy all those countries and turn them into her own personal shitting grounds if she wants.

Oh, Gee!!
03-30-2009, 11:38 PM
obama

true dat, but I think Jacko is still bigger. Thriller is still huge around the world--great fucking album btw.

mrsmaalox
03-31-2009, 01:24 AM
I voted Michael Jackson; Oprah would be second---and I'm not even a fan of hers.

sonic21
03-31-2009, 01:29 AM
michael jackson, then jordan

velik_m
03-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Beckham.

SA210
03-31-2009, 02:55 AM
true dat, but I think Jacko is still bigger. Thriller is still huge around the world--great fucking album btw.

:toast

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 05:47 AM
couple things,

Why do people even take the time to write down Obama or post a picture of Bush? Are they retarded?

Also, I do think that this is UScentric. We left Beckham and Madonna off, but never gave much consideration to Pele.

That being said, that is why I think Jagger and McCartney are bigger than Jordan and Oprah. They are known worldwide. The Stones are huge in South America, North America, Asia, everywhere- same with the Beatles. I think that most everyone voting is relatively young and just doesn't understand how big both the Beatles and Stones are. Baby boomers would be all over Jagger and McCartney, and not give much thought to Jordan. I see the Michael Jackson argument, but McCartney only having 3 votes, and Mick Jagger with one is pretty incredible

Mugshot
03-31-2009, 05:52 AM
I voted for McCartney...

:)

Slomo
03-31-2009, 06:09 AM

exactly

obama

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/ding_ding_ding.jpg

I'm willing to bet there's a lot of people who know about Obama and haven't heard of Michael Jackson while most people who know MJ will also know Obama.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
I said in the initial post you can not vote for a politician or memer of the royal family- Obama falls under that.

xcoriate
03-31-2009, 06:58 AM
It has to be jacko...

but other than that, Jordan is probably second. Who wouldn't notice him at 6'6 with his entourage in tow anyway.. and then he is jordan.

Add to the list Beckham and maybe Federer?

smeagol
03-31-2009, 07:04 AM

Oprah?

Nobody knows who the fuck she is outside the US and the poll asks for the World's biggest celebrity.

Oprah does not belong in that list.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 07:07 AM
I'd say Jacko, Beckham and Maradona.

I'm sure there is some Chinese celebrity that si more popular than Oprah . . . :lol

smeagol
03-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Like the rest of the world's opinion matters. Oprah has enough money to buy all those countries and turn them into her own personal shitting grounds if she wants.

Title of the thread

Who is the world's biggest living Celebrity?

Feeling a little stupid?

Slomo
03-31-2009, 07:19 AM
I said in the initial post you can not vote for a politician or memer of the royal family- Obama falls under that.

Shit, does it mean I actually have to start reading threads? :depressed

:p: My bad

P.S. Even without that rule, Obama might be the only living politician more famous than the other celebrities you mentioned.

Slomo
03-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Oh and to get back on topic: Michael Jackson.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 07:49 AM
I think Michael Jackson is as fair a guess as any. Dude is huge, even to this day. Jagger as well.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 08:15 AM
I think Michael Jackson is as fair a guess as any. Dude is huge, even to this day. Jagger as well.

True but my guess is that popular sports celebrities are more well-known than celecrities from the music industry.

I'd would add Tiger to the list.

Bukefal
03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
i dont know, there are several i think, but oprah is sure a big one!

Tiger woods?! come on, does a village women in lets say some country village in poland know him? :P That goes for Michael jordan as well.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
How can Jordan be the biggest celebrity in the world when he's not even the biggest athlete in the world? More people have heard of and know about Ali than Jordan.

sonic21
03-31-2009, 09:11 AM
How can Jordan be the biggest celebrity in the world when he's not even the biggest athlete in the world? More people have heard of and know about Ali than Jordan.

well in europe Jordan is a bigger celebrity than Ali

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM

I think most of the people voting are 20-somethings who watched basketball growing up. Jordan might be huge here in America, but he can't possibly be bigger than a Beatle over in Europe

Drachen
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
True but my guess is that popular sports celebrities are more well-known than celecrities from the music industry.

I'd would add Tiger to the list.

I would normally agree with you that sports celebrities are more popular, but Michael Jackson is the exception. I mean the Metallica Black album is the one of the best selling rock albums of all time, and Jackson's Thriller pretty much outsold ALL of Metallica's albums by itself. Add that to the fact that jacko was at his peak in fairly recent memory and that pushes him ahead of those that he hasn't outsold (stones, beatles). On top of that, he is still in the news (for all the wrong reasons), and that makes him the most popular celeb in the world.

Spurminator
03-31-2009, 09:15 AM
So it's not Nicole Richie?

I Love Me Some Me
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Michael Jordan or Oprah.

I Love Me Some Me
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
News 4 Traffic Tracker, Shelly Miles.

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Pele

DAF86
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
I would have to say Jagger and Maradona.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 10:22 AM
I would have to say Jagger and Maradona.

I don't think Maradona makes it on this one. Back when he was playing perhaps, but he's been out of the limelight for a long time now (except in Argentina). Maradona isn't nearly as recognizable as even Beckham now a days, world wide that is.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Who the hell is Maradona?

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 10:36 AM
I thought they misspelled Madonna.

Maradona, I looked him up, and he is not even in the top 20. Nobody in America would know who he was. Soccer is global, yes, but you have to take America into account. The Stones, Beatles and Jacko have sold out shows on every continent except Antarctica. If Maradona came and signed autographs at a car dealership that wouldn't even draw a big crowd

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Title of the thread

Feeling a little stupid?

I would if the rest of the world's opinion meant shit. Are you feeling a little stupid for thinking Argentina or Costa Rica or some other shit ass country matters?

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Where's the mma fags with their opinions? How dare thunder dan leave the ICEMAN chuck liddell off that list.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Where's the mma fags with their opinions? How dare thunder dan leave the ICEMAN chuck liddell off that list.

MMA is like soccer, 2 niche markets- but they are polar opposites: one is kicking ass, and the other is getting their ass kicked

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Oprah?

Nobody knows who the fuck she is outside the US and the poll asks for the World's biggest celebrity.

Oprah does not belong in that list.

http://www.time.com/time/2001/influentials/yboprah.html

Why she's arguably the world's most powerful woman

http://spectator.org/archives/2007/05/08/embrace-the-wealth-gap

today she's arguably the most influential woman in the world.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/23/1058853120238.html

evidently Australia watches VH1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6753847.stm

evidently the British read Forbes

Oprah Winfrey is the world's most powerful celebrity

http://www.prsecrets.com/store/inside-oprah-book.html

Vanity Fair Magazine says, "Oprah Winfrey arguably has more influence on the culture than any university president, politician, or religious leader, except perhaps the Pope."

feeling a little stupid?

smeagol
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I would if the rest of the world's opinion meant shit. Are you feeling a little stupid for thinking Argentina or Costa Rica or some other shit ass country matters?

Who cares how I feel? The OP asks about clebrities that are popular in the World. Oprah is popular in the MidWest of the US.

Carry on with your stupidity . . .

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Give me a fucking break! Citing American news sources to make your point? are you THAT fucking stupid?? The NBA also proclaims its champion as the WORLD champion... its not.

Point is, Oprah is only a big deal in the US. Outside nobody gives a flying fuck about her. Deal with it.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Soccer is global, yes, but you have to take America into account.

Are you kidding me? Panama's opinion should count just as much as America's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have a fucking canal dude!!!!!!!!!!

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Citing American news sources to make your point? are you THAT fucking stupid??

You see, the .au and .uk at the end of a web address means those sites are Australian and British, not American. Are you THAT fucking stupid?

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Are you kidding me? Panama's opinion should count just as much as America's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have a fucking canal dude!!!!!!!!!!

The World is NOT just the US jackass, no matter how intent you are on trying to prove it is.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 10:56 AM
You see, the .au and .uk at the end of a web address means those sites are Australian and British, not American. Are you THAT fucking stupid?

the .uk article is quoting Forbes you imbecil

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
The World is NOT just the US jackass, no matter how intent you are on trying to prove it is.

The World's opinion that matters is 75% US, 10% Britain, 5% Japan, 5% France, 3% Korea, and 2% all your other shitty 3rd world countries. Deal with it.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM
the .uk article is quoting Forbes you imbecil

Why would they bother posting that story at all if they have no clue who the fuck Oprah is?

smeagol
03-31-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.time.com/time/2001/influentials/yboprah.html

http://spectator.org/archives/2007/05/08/embrace-the-wealth-gap

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/07/23/1058853120238.html

evidently Australia watches VH1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6753847.stm

evidently the British read Forbes

http://www.prsecrets.com/store/inside-oprah-book.html

feeling a little stupid?

:lmao :lmao :lmao

You are a fucking retard if you think people around the world know who Oprah is.

You know who is really popular around the World? David Letterman! Peopl in Vietnam idolize him.

Jay Leno is also very big in LatinAmerica and Europe can't get enough of Jon Stewart.

And don't let me get into how popular Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Garth Brooks, Dale Earnhardt jr and all those NFL players are around the World.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
The World is 75% US, 10% Britain, 5% Japan, 5% France, 3% Korea, and 2% all your other shitty 3rd world countries. Deal with it.

and US is still only around .05 percent of the entire world population... yeah, you're a fucking genius

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
You are a fucking retard if you think people around the world know who Oprah is.

Tell that to Time magazine, not me.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
and its still only around .05 percent of the entire world population... yeah, you're a fucking genius

:lmao okay then, let's just find the most popular Chinese celebrity and end this shit. Because obviously all that matters is total population. You fucking moron.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM

Maradona, I looked him up, and he is not even in the top 20. Nobody in America would know who he was. Soccer is global, yes, but you have to take America into account. The Stones, Beatles and Jacko have sold out shows on every continent except Antarctica. If Maradona came and signed autographs at a car dealership that wouldn't even draw a big crowd

Oh my fucking God. You guys need to be the center of the World so bad it is not even funny.

There are 300 million Americans and 5,000 billion people in this Earth. If Maradona is known by 10% of the 4,700 billion that are not American (and believe me, he is known by many more than that %) and not known by even one single American, he would still be more popular than Oprah.

sonic21
yeah john stewart is famous in europe, more than oprah

MaNuMaNiAc
:lmao okay then, let's just find the most popular Chinese celebrity and end this shit. Because obviously all that matters is total population. You fucking moron.

it is when you're talking celebrity retard, or what the fuck do you think it means?? Seriously, you are one retarded piece of shit

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
The World's opinion that matters is 75% US, 10% Britain, 5% Japan, 5% France, 3% Korea, and 2% all your other shitty 3rd world countries. Deal with it.

Your ass must hurt due to pulling so many BS stats out of it.

In any case, the poll was not supposed to be weighted by your imaginary %.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
shit, I don't even know why I'm even arguing with this douchebag... I really should know better by now.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:08 AM

So the most popular player of the most popular sport wouldn't even be on contention but Oprah does?

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Oh my fucking God. You guys need to be the center of the World so bad it is not even funny.

There are 300 million Americans and 5,000 million. If Maradona is known by 10% of the 4,700 billion that are not American (and believe me, he is known by many more than that %) and not known by even one single American, he would still be more popular than Oprah.

sorry man, but a soccer stud isn't bigger than the leader of the Stones or Beatles

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think Maradona makes it on this one. Back when he was playing perhaps, but he's been out of the limelight for a long time now (except in Argentina). Maradona isn't nearly as recognizable as even Beckham now a days, world wide that is.

Look all the buzz that is going on in the world right now with Maradona's designation as the DT of the National team.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
:lmao okay then, let's just find the most popular Chinese celebrity and end this shit.

I said this in an earlier post. Any run of the mill Chinese celebrity is more popular then fucking Oprah Winfrey.

Because obviously all that matters is total population.

So what else matters in a popularity contest?

I know . . . what Americans think. That is what matters the most.

1 vote from an American = 20 votes from a Guatemalan. How does that sound?

Ms.TeenSouthCarolina
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I think that with US Americans it's according to maps via Iraq and public schools for Africa, like such as when US Americans are is were. Thank you.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:11 AM
The Beatles have sold over a billion units (records, CDs, Tapes)

BILLION with a B

that's about 1/6 of the earth owning a Beatles album

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:12 AM

An American magazine that catters to Americans.

Great example!

Keep them coming, moron.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
sorry, if I've never heard of the guy he doesn't make my list. I've heard of Pele, so he could possibly make it, but let's be honest here

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM

BILLION with a B

If Lennon would still be alive he'd be the world's biggest celebrity but McCartney doesn't cut it.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:15 AM
sorry man, but a soccer stud isn't bigger than the leader of the Stones or Beatles

It's up for debate.

My point is that Maradona not being known in the US is a moot point regarding the poll.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
sorry, if I've never heard of the guy he doesn't make my list. I've heard of Pele, so he could possibly make it, but let's be honest here

Your list is probably wrong.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 11:17 AM

I think the point here is that it doesn't matter whether you've heard of him or not. America isn't the end all, be all of celebrity. In terms of actual followers, I'd say a Chinese celebrity is ten times more popular.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
sorry, if I've never heard of the guy he doesn't make my list.

Make a list about biggest celebrities in the US then.

I've heard of Pele, so he could possibly make it, but let's be honest here

Go see polls (of countries that give a damn about football) about who is the best football player of all times and then come back to me.

sonic21
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM

BILLION with a B

that's impressive but that doesn't mean 1/6 of the earth knows the beatles.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM

What the fuck is that?

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:23 AM

You're the reason so many people hate the US.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
When any one of those shitty soccer players is Oprah rich, get back to me.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
When any one of those shitty soccer players is Oprah rich, get back to me.

When somebody starts a thread about world's wealthiest celebrities I would get back to you.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM
When somebody starts a thread about world's wealthiest celebrities I would get back to you.

wealth has to be factored in. it's BIGGEST celebrity. not "who has the most fans in 3rd world countries".

mardigan
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I would think Yao would be under consideration. Especially if you want to be literal about it.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
I love you, Oprah! I'll not let these jackwads from Argentina sully your great name.

http://whoelsehasyourname.com/assets/images/Bald_Eagle_Head_and_American_Flag.JPG

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I love you, Oprah! I'll not let these jackwads from Argentina sully your great name.

Now I feel like you're just fucking around.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I would think Yao would be under consideration. Especially if you want to be literal about it.

Yao or Kobe. He got a lot of love in China. And apparently since all we're doing is counting numbers and not factoring in anything else, those are our 2 finalists.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
wealth has to be factored in. it's BIGGEST celebrity. not "who has the most fans in 3rd world countries".

Carlos Slim just made it as the #1 richest guy in the world . . . and he is from a shitty 3rd wrold country.

Maybe he should top the list . . .

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Bill Mahr!

He is vey popular in NY and California.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Stone Phillips.

Talk about a popular dude . . .

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Sammy Sosa!

That dude is huge in the DR . . .

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Sorry, but if Mick Jagger ,Paul McCartney, or Michael Jackson show up to eat somewhere in Europe they are being served before that soccer guy nobody has ever heard of

DAF86
03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Sorry, but if Mick Jagger ,Paul McCartney, or Michael Jackson show up to eat somewhere in Europe they are being served before that soccer guy nobody has ever heard of

You're wrong, very wrong.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Argentina douches conveniently ignore Yao.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
How about that Joey Buttafuoco?

He is quite big in Long Island . . .

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM
You're wrong, very wrong.

there is a reason they call him Sir Mick Jagger and Sir Paul McCartney- they are royalty over there

Paul McCartney could sell out a show in basically any inhabited continent most locations. Doesn't matter if it's mainland China, Japan, Australia, South America, Oklahoma, wherever. That soccer guy could get a crowd in South America, Africa and possibly Europe, but that's about it.

If he came to the States and walked around, nobody would know who he was. If Paul McCartney did he would be mobbed.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Blah . . . blah . . . blah

:blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah :blah

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Michael Jackson. Still.

That should've ended the argument.

No matter how many little boys this guy touches, the world still loves him.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:50 AM

Mavs fan douchebag runs out of arguments.

Bring some Daily News and USA Today articles to back your shit up . . .

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Paul McCartney probably is the only rival to Micheal Jackson's fame.

Thunder Dan
for all the jokes these Argentinians are making about this being UScentric, they are arguing their side making it biased on their half.

Paul McCartney is big all over, no soccer player other than maybe Beckham or Pele is big all over. That is the point of this, BIG NO MATTER WHERE.

We don't give a shit about soccer here, but we still know who Beckham is. If Beckham walked down the road he would be noticed. If Madonnar walked down the road I wouldn't think twice about it.

smeagol
That should've ended the argument.

No matter how many little boys this guy touches, the world still loves him.

As I said on my first post, Wacko Jacko is still up there.

Madonna is also huge.

She was down here a couple of months ago and filled four stadiums.

Probably north of 200,000 people saw her live.

monosylab1k

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
If Madonner died tomorrow, it would be covered in the sports section of the news. If Paul McCartney died we would see live coverage of his funeral much like a president

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
for all the jokes these Argentinians are making about this being UScentric, they are arguing their side making it biased on their half.

Paul McCartney is big all over, no soccer player other than maybe Beckham or Pele is big all over. That is the point of this, BIG NO MATTER WHERE.

We don't give a shit about soccer here, but we still know who Beckham is. If Beckham walked down the road he would be noticed. If Madonnar walked down the road I wouldn't think twice about it.

Get over what you, or your fellow countrymen know. It is irrelevant. Compared to the world population, you guys are irrelevant.

You guys know Beckham because he is a pretty-boy that tabloids love to follow around . . . and he played in LA. Madonnar, I mean Maradona, is well-known all over the world.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
If Madonner died tomorrow, it would be covered in the sports section of the news. If Paul McCartney died we would see live coverage of his funeral much like a president

:tu

Good point.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Paul McCartney probably is the only rival to Micheal Jackson's fame.

No. There are many others.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 11:55 AM
if Madonner died tomorrow, would his death be on the front page of papers across the country? the answer is no.

If Paul McCartney or Mick Jagger died tomorrow would it make the front page? Absolutely

that is the difference. Just like people in South America don't give a shit about Oprah, we don't give a shit about Madonner. Every country gives a shit about the Beatles

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 11:57 AM

smeagol
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Yao is big.

He is fucking huge!

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Why does this thread say "world"? Who cares about people outside of America.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
I think this is getting off topic. I'm talking about who crosses boarders the most, not who is known by the most people. See Yao is the biggest celeb in the biggest country, so be could be up there at the top- but if he went to Europe or Africa most people would just see a giant Chinese man. I'm talking about, who is just as important in their home country as they are everywhere else. The answer is Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney. They could sell out the Garden or bumfuck Egypt- doesn't matter. They are big not matter where they go

Drachen
03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Carlos Slim just made it as the #1 richest guy in the world . . . and he is from a shitty 3rd wrold country.

Maybe he should top the list . . .

Actually, he was knocked back off, Bill Gates is back at #1, Buffet is #2, and Carlos is #3. I don't believe that net worth necessarily should be the number 1 (or even #2 deciding factor). If you want to go by that, then you really have to go back to the Pope, because after the problems caused in the middle ages by priests accepting land in the church's name for absolution, they changed the legal structure of the church. The pope is the technical legal owner of all church lands around the world. So he would *technically* be the richest man in the world. There are also 1 Billion Catholics around the world, so he has the numbers too. I think he is disqualified from this conversation though because it is about "biggest celebrity," which I cannot say he is. Maybe the John Paul the II was, but not this one.

As far as the reverence with which soccer players are held around the world, I cannot say except that in Europe they are held in very high esteem. Elsewhere I have no experience. I still think Jacko wins out, but that could be a little American-centric of me.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Like Paul McCartney or even Mick Jagger could hold a tour and hit every country and the point of the tour was to meet the stars- so you wouldn't need to go to 2 shows, just one would be sufficient. And if they did this, they would sell out every single show because they are important to that many people in different countries. Yao Ming and that soccer guy could draw mega crowds in their mainlands, but they couldn't cross boarders like McCartney, Jagger and Michael Jackson

If Yao Ming came and signed autographs at the boat show, I wouldn't go. If Paul McCartney did, I would go even though I hate boats and I would expect to wait in a long line- and I don't even really like the Beatles!

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
From Thunder Dan's list I would take: Jagger, Ali, and Jackson and add Maradona. Among those 4 we get without a doubt the biggest celebrity still alive.

McCartney IMO doesn't make the list 'cause he's too low profile.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
I think this is getting off topic. I'm talking about who crosses boarders the most, not who is known by the most people. See Yao is the biggest celeb in the biggest country, so be could be up there at the top- but if he went to Europe or Africa most people would just see a giant Chinese man. I'm talking about, who is just as important in their home country as they are everywhere else. The answer is Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney. They could sell out the Garden or bumfuck Egypt- doesn't matter. They are big not matter where they go

If that is what you meant, why the fuck did you include Oprah who is no more than a local celebrity.

I agree with jacko. PM is probably up there too.

I think you have to inlcude sports personalities. Even though you don't know who Maradona is, I can asure you he is huge everywhere. I was once vacatining in South East Asia and in places such as Cambodia or Indonesia, when people asked me where I was from, and I responded "Argentina", they would immediately would say "Argentina . . . Ahh, Maradona!"

Tiger and Federer are huge everywhere you go. And because of the Olympics, I would argue Michael Phelps (at least for a brief period last year) achived that kind of status.

JP II, when he was alive, has extremely well-known.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
lol at getting mad over someone not including your shitty soccer player on the list.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
if Madonner died tomorrow, would his death be on the front page of papers across the country? the answer is no.

If Paul McCartney or Mick Jagger died tomorrow would it make the front page? Absolutely

that is the difference. Just like people in South America don't give a shit about Oprah, we don't give a shit about Madonner. Every country gives a shit about the Beatles

Again, in the front pages of US papers? probably not.

In front pages of any newspaper of the rest of the world? definitely yes.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
lol at getting mad over someone not including your shitty soccer player on the list.

Who's mad about that? If anyone's mad is Monosylab for realizing that Oprah isn't shit outside the US.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Again, in the front pages of US papers? probably not.

In front pages of any newspaper of the rest of the world? definitely yes.

but that is what I'm saying. If McCartney died, there wouldn't be a newspaper it wouldn't be front page on

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I just realized how bad TD butchered Ali's name.

TD, I am sending in the 10 bucks today.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 12:25 PM

I'm mad that neither Howard Stern nor Jerry Springer made the cut.

Those guys are well known in Buthan, Lesotho and Sarawak . . .

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
but that is what I'm saying. If McCartney died, there wouldn't be a newspaper it wouldn't be front page on

But in the rest of the world (with maybe the exception of England, and I'm not sure) if Maradona and McCartney die at the same time Maradona would get the biggest repercussion.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Who's mad about that? If anyone's mad is Monosylab for realizing that Oprah isn't shit outside the US.

Have you read the last 3 pages of this thread? Butthurt argentina posters are mad about it.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:30 PM
The last thing I would say in this thread (for now) is that IMO Maradona is the biggest sport celebrity and Jagger the biggest musical one.

P/S: Brad Pitt would be the biggest movie star.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 12:30 PM
Have you read the last 3 pages of this thread? Butthurt argentina posters are mad about it.

Not really.

I'm mad at ignorant posters who are only looking at their bellybotton . . .

smeagol
03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
The last thing I would say in this thread (for now) is that IMO Maradona is the biggest sport celebrity and Jagger the biggest musical one.

P/S: Brad Pitt would be the biggest movie star.

Tom Cruise?

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Tom Cruise?

:td :td :td :td :td

Pitt or DiCaprio are much bigger than that fag.

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 12:38 PM
TD, excuse my bad handwriting. I just finished writing you're info and all that. Ima send it later on today. Hope it gets there before the Final 4 begin.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Tom Cruise?

If I go by personal likes I'd have to say De Niro but Brad Pitt is everywhere.
The most common thing to say in the world when you talk to a guy that thinks too high of himself is: "Slow down, who do you think you are, Brad Pitt?" or something to that effect.

1Parker1
03-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Beatles being popular outside of US and Britain? Hmm. I don't know about that.

My first thought was someone like a Bill Gates. Guess it depends on your definition of "Celebrity"

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
As I said on my first post, Wacko Jacko is still up there.

Madonna is also huge.

She was down here a couple of months ago and filled four stadiums.

Probably north of 200,000 people saw her live.

You're only arguing for Maradonna because you're from Argentina.

Becks is MUCH bigger than Maradonna. Fuck, even Ronaldo is bigger than him. But, you would never admit to it because Ronaldo is from Brazil and Becks is English.

You need to live with the fact that when most of the world is given the option of seeing Jacko or seeing Maradonna . . . Maradonna will lose out every fucking time.

It wouldn't even be close.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM

That's true.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
No. There are many others.

And, you would be wrong.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
McCartney IMO doesn't make the list 'cause he's too low profile.

You just proved how stupid you are.

You fucking idiot, his marriage and subsequent divorce were major headliners in the past years. He's been everywhere and interviewed with every major news agency.

He held a massive concert in Russia just over a year ago and it was the biggest crowd they have ever had for a concert in that country.

Fuck, even Putin was in the crowd rocking to his music. They showed footage of him going crazy when McCartney jammed "Back in the USSR".

Your idiocy knows no bounds.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
You're only arguing for Maradonna because you're from Argentina.

Becks is MUCH bigger than Maradonna. Fuck, even Ronaldo is bigger than him. But, you would never admit to it because Ronaldo is from Brazil and Becks is English.

You need to live with the fact that when most of the world is given the option of seeing Jacko or seeing Maradonna . . . Maradonna will lose out every fucking time.

It wouldn't even be close.

This is almost as stupid as saying that the Beatles aren't huge outside the US and the UK.

tp2021
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Oprah?

Really, Spurstalk? Really?

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 01:13 PM

:lmao they bitch nonstop about how their Maradingdong faggot isn't included, turns out he's from Argentina. What a fucking shock. It's not like they're biased or anything. Then they go whining about how Americans think only America matters. Let's not even mention they're posting this on a website dedicated to an American basketball team.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:21 PM
:lmao they bitch nonstop about how their Maradingdong faggot isn't included, turns out he's from Argentina. What a fucking shock. It's not like they're biased or anything.

If Maradona were Italian I'd still make a case for him. Because he's the most popular sportman in the world, period.

Let's not even mention they're posting this on a website dedicated to an American basketball team.

What does this have to do with anything? A guy asked who was the biggest celebrity in the world? and we as members of this site posted our thoughts. If you want you could ask Kori or timvp to make this forum US exclusive.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
I was once vacatining in South East Asia and in places such as Cambodia or Indonesia, when people asked me where I was from, and I responded "Argentina", they would immediately would say "Argentina . . . Ahh, Maradona!"

Of course they would say that, you moron.

Who else is there in Argentina with any fame whatsoever, Eva Perron?

They associate that coke-head with your country. That's all it is. It doesn't mean that he's on par with the likes of McCartney or Jacko.

Fuck, everytime I tell people I'm from Texas they ask about cowboys and shit. That's because that's what Texas is known for.

Argentina is known for that coke-head (Maradonna), giving shelter to Nazis and tango. That means nothing.

There is no way you can say that Maradonna is bigger, worldwide, than Paul McCartney or Micheal Jackson.

tp2021
03-31-2009, 01:22 PM
If Maradona were Italian I'd still make a case for him. Because he's the most popular sportman in the world, period.

No, he's not. If anything, he is notorious for scoring a goal illegally.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:28 PM
No, he's not. If anything, he is notorious for scoring a goal illegally.

...And for making the most beatiful goal ever, and for beign the best football player of all times, and for doing drugs, and for having his own religion and church, etc

Like I said, the most popular sportman.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM

That's just retarded and you're being biased as hell.

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
The Beatles are huge all over the world!

Paul solo brought 185,000 people in Brazil in 1990

in 2004 he sold out a 60,000 seat arena in St. Petersburg Russia

Sold out a 70,000 seat arena in Japan 3 days in a row

just a couple months ago he had 2 sold out shows in Israel

and is banned from mainland China....you have to be a big someone to be banned

tp2021
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
...And for making the most beatiful game-winners ever, and for beign the best basketball player of all times, and for gambling, and for being his own brand, etc

There. Now it's Michael Jordan.

I left your spelling errors intact.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
That's just retarded and you're being biased as hell.

Tell me who is then?

Everybody has their own opinion but that Football is the most popular sport in the world is a fact and that Maradona was selected by the people as the best football player ever (and by a huge margin) is also a fact.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
The Beatles are huge all over the world!

Paul solo brought 185,000 people in Brazil in 1990

in 2004 he sold out a 60,000 seat arena in St. Petersburg Russia

Sold out a 70,000 seat arena in Japan 3 days in a row

just a couple months ago he had 2 sold out shows in Israel

and is banned from mainland China....you have to be a big someone to be banned

Maradona was banned in the US, that's why he isn't so known there. I'm not lying, since 1994 that he can't get into the States because of some drug problems or something like that.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
There. Now it's Michael Jordan.

I left your spelling errors intact.

Nice! making fun of spelling errors from a person that doesn't have English as his first lenguage. :tu

Thunder Dan
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Maradona was banned in the US, that's why he isn't so known there. I'm not lying, since 1994 that he can't get into the States because of some drug problems or something like that.

yeah but even if they let him in he wouldn't bring in a ton of people. Look at Beckham, he doesn't even sell out 20,000 seat stadiums. We just hate soccer here. It's antiAmerican

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
The Octomom is more known world wide than Maradona.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Smeagol and the other Argentine dude would be making that same argument is she was from Argentina.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:41 PM
yeah but even if they let him in he wouldn't bring in a ton of people. Look at Beckham, he doesn't even sell out 20,000 seat stadiums. We just hate soccer here. It's antiAmerican

And that's cool by me. I'm just repeating what you said: "you have to be a big someone to be banned"

tp2021
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Nice! making fun of spelling errors from a person that doesn't have English as his first lenguage. :tu

Nice! Not addressing the issue! :tu

DAF86
03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Nice! Not addressing the issue! :tu

Do you think I didn't adress the issue? I don't know what else do you want me to add? just read all the things I wrote about it.

I respect your opinion but I disagree with it. Jordan is one of my biggest sport idols of all time and I don't like box, but objectively speaking I have to say that Ali is bigger than Michael.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 01:47 PM
And that's cool by me. I'm just repeating what you said: "you have to be a big someone to be banned"

Being banned because of your human rights beliefs and being banned because you known for your ties to drug cartels are not the same thing.

Not by a long shot.

But, thanks for trying.

CuckingFunt
03-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I still don't think that anyone being argued over is as big as Michael Jackson, so I don't get why it's such a big issue.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Being banned because of your human rights beliefs and being banned because you known for your ties to drug cartels are not the same thing.

Not by a long shot.

But, thanks for trying.

I agree but what does that have to do with the topic of the thread? Michael Jackson is also known for beign involved in some "strange things" and he's still one of the most popular guys in the world.

David Bowie
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
If Lennon would still be alive he'd be the world's biggest celebrity but McCartney doesn't cut it.

I was a huge fan of the Beatles. Owned every album, even know who wrote which part of every song. (Lennon and McCartney didn't exacly collaberate on everything.)

McCartney was a much bigger celebrity then Lennon before Lennon got shot, trust me. So, that's up for debate.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 02:19 PM
I was a huge fan of the Beatles. Owned every album, even know who wrote which part of every song. (Lennon and McCartney didn't exacly collaberate on everything.)

McCartney was a much bigger celebrity then Lennon before Lennon got shot, trust me. So, that's up for debate.

All the beatles fans I know (myself included) think highly of Lennon not so much of McCartney (for example: John's songs are legendary while Paul's are nice but a little too comercial) , but then again, John's death may have something to do with that (I wouldn't know 'cause I was born after he got shot) so I'd take your word.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree but what does that have to do with the topic of the thread? Michael Jackson is also known for beign involved in some "strange things" and he's still one of the most popular guys in the world.

But he hasn't been banned from any countries for doing illegal things.

Maradonna, on the other hand, has.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 02:32 PM

No he wasn't.

Lennon was always the one that garnered more attention.

This is just crazy talk.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:02 PM
But he hasn't been banned from any countries for doing illegal things.

Maradonna, on the other hand, has.

No, but he should be in jail.

leo_d
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Jagger and the other musicians can put 200.000 on a stadium but he can`t make 1.000.000.000 people to watch him at the same time.

Sports can fill stadiums and can get people to watch them all around the world and then make people to go out on the streets to celebrate the victory. Nobody goes out to the street after seeing a Jagger show on TV.

So i`ll go with the most popular sportman of the most popular sport.

Whoever that might be :)

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
No, but he should be in jail.

Why should McCartney be in jail?

Because he spreads the idealism of love through his music?

Dude, you're sounding like a complete retard now.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Why should McCartney be in jail?

Because he spreads the idealism of love through his music?

Dude, you're sounding like a complete retard now.

I'm talking about Jackson. Go back a few post behind and try to follow the conversation.

DarkReign
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM

I obviously dont agree, but thats comedy gold right der.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Can you imagine how famous Michael Jackson would be if he were an Argentinite?

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Can you imagine how famous Michael Jackson would be if he were an Argentinite?

Don't hate us for making you realize that Oprah isn't big outside your country.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't think Oprah is big outside of the USA. You must have me mixed up with others.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM

Don't hate us for making you realize that Maradonna isn't as great as you and your country men wish he would be.

timvp
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Where is the option for Kimmy Gibbler?

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:17 PM
The Octomom is more known world wide than Maradona.

I thought the "Octomom" was Oprah's nickname.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Don't hate us for making you realize that Maradonna isn't as great as you and your country men wish he would be.

What would you know? you don't know shit about what happens outside your country.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I thought the "Octomom" was Oprah's nickname.

Octomom is the chick that pushed 8 kids out the vagine a few weeks back and is now famous.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 03:26 PM
:lmao they bitch nonstop about how their Maradingdong faggot isn't included, turns out he's from Argentina. What a fucking shock. It's not like they're biased or anything. Then they go whining about how Americans think only America matters. Let's not even mention they're posting this on a website dedicated to an American basketball team.

yeah, that's right. Generalize all you want so you don't have to face the fact that you're an ignorant fucking prick.

I don't agree with some of the Argies on this thread, but they are miles ahead of your fucking intellect, you condescending, ignorant fuck.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
What would you know? you don't know shit about what happens outside your country.

I actually do.

Like, I know that your country gave safe haven to Nazis fleeing persecution after WWII.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
For the record, I think that anyone that actually believes Maradona is the biggest celebrity in the world right now is deluded, plain and simple. Just as much as those that think Oprah stands a chance in that category as well.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 03:38 PM

The poll results speak for itself, jackhole.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I actually do.

Like, I know that your country gave safe haven to Nazis fleeing persecution after WWII.

:lmao is that the only fucking thing they teach you about the world? World War II history??

P.S. Ahem... German rocket scientists... you hypocritical fuck! Go google Werner Von Braun :rolleyes

tp2021
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
This thread and poll is full of loss.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
The poll results speak for itself, jackhole.

26 people. Are you serious?

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
26 people. Are you serious?

I don't see Maradickhole winning this.

leo_d
03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I actually do.

two words for you:

Von Braun

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I actually do.

The people in charge of the country in that moment. Not me, not my family, not somebody I voted for.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't see Maradickhole winning this.

Hell, he isn't even an option. You must be right then.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
:lmao is that the only fucking thing they teach you about the world? World War II history??

P.S. Ahem... German rocket scientists... you hypocritical fuck! Go google Werner Von Braun :rolleyes

The people in charge of the country in that moment. Not me, not my family, not somebody I voted for.

Well, at least one of you has some knowledge of your country's history.

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Si fue mano.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Well, at least one of you has some knowledge of your country's history.

says the dude that knows jack shit about American history :rolleyes

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Answer the question:

Did Argentina serve as a safe haven for Nazis (not German scientists) fleeing persecution in Europe after WWII?

Remember, we're talking about Nazis here. You know, the guys who put Jews in camps to starve them, torture them, burn them alive, and rape them.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM

lol

Here come's peewee's "I have a history degree and am knowledgeable in all things from film, music, science, art, philosophy, carpentry, politics, botany and international affairs" rant.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
You must be right then.

thank you.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Answer the question:

Did Argentina serve as a safe haven for Nazis (not German scientists) fleeing persecution in Europe after WWII?

Remember, we're talking about Nazis here. You know, the guys who put Jews in camps to starve them, torture them, burn them alive, and rape them.

yeah, because Braun wasn't a member of the SS... right?

Argentina harbored Nazis after WWII, and so did the US. The only one being a hypocrite about it here is... guess?

or is it that you didn't know? in which case, STFU!

sook
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
oprah is a man you stupid fools

MaNuMaNiAc
03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
man, I don't think a thread can get derailed any more than this shit has. Point in case, Oprah is definately NOT the biggest celebrity in the WORLD.

tp2021
03-31-2009, 04:05 PM
man, I don't think a thread can get derailed any more than this shit has. Point in case, Oprah is definately NOT the biggest celebrity in the WORLD.

Pretty much. Except the Manu thread that got derailed... that happened immediately.

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM

Poll Don't Lie

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 04:17 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/03/13/holocaust-bishop-extradit_n_174766.html

BUENOS AIRES -- When Argentines discovered that they had a Holocaust-denying bishop in their midst, the public outcry was forceful and the government response swift.

British-born bishop Richard Williamson was summarily expelled from the country last month, to the applause of Jewish rights groups and others. The official reason cited by immigration authorities was a visa technicality, but the message was clear: Argentina will not tolerate anti-Semitism within its borders.

The domestic response was part of a larger international debate that erupted after Pope Benedict XVI allowed Williamson back into the Catholic Church earlier this year. On March 12, the Vatican released a letter the pope wrote to bishops worldwide, in which he said the Vatican mishandled the reinstatement. The pope expressed regret for the event, which "upset peace between Christians and Jews."

For the largest Jewish community in Latin America, peace has often been hard to come by: Argentina has a long, dark history as a haven for anti-Semites and Nazis.

Even today, the number of spray-painted swastikas on the streets of Buenos Aires hints at the persistent anti-Semitism below Argentina's politically correct veneer. The graffiti, together with Argentina's history of serving as a refuge for Nazis and anti-Semites, might suggest a strong Argentine neo-Nazi movement.

Raul Kollman, a radio commentator who has written a book on the subject, however, says that there are only two organized neo-Nazi groups in Argentina -- both politically impotent and with less than 300 adherents between them.

Sergio Widder -- who leads the Latin American branch of the Simon Weisenthal Center, a prominent Jewish human rights organization -- says that most anti-Semitism in Argentina these days comes from anti-Israel movements of militant Islamists and radical leftists, rather than from neo-Nazis. Buenos Aires has been the site of two of the deadliest attacks on Israeli institutions in the Western hemisphere: the bombings of the Israeli Embassy in 1992 and the Argentine-Israeli Mutual Association in 1994.

Echoes of those attacks continue to this day. On March 6, an investigator into the 1994 bombing was abducted, tortured and interrogated about the investigation for several hours before being released.

It's not yet clear who his kidnappers were. But they left a chilling scar on their victim, whom they knew was of Eastern European Jewish ancestry: a six-digit number carved into his forearm, bearing a sinister resemblance to the tattoos printed on prisoners in Nazi concentration camps.

That resemblance may or may not have been deliberate -- the numerical wound matches the bombing investigation's case number. But whatever the intent, the incident is a reminder of Argentina's history of anti-Semitism and Nazi ties.

In 1940, with the Nazi party's genocidal frenzy in full swing in Europe, Argentine bard Jorge Luis Borges lamented that anti-Semitism in Buenos Aires was "even worse than in Berlin."

When Borges made his pronouncement, the country had only just disbanded domestic Nazi groups, and would soon cut its ties with the Axis powers in order to remain neutral in World War II. The moves were an about-face: In the previous decade, public pro-Nazi demonstrations took place in Buenos Aires and Argentina strengthened diplomatic and commercial ties to Berlin.

But despite the publicly severed ties between the Axis powers and Argentina, the military opposition (of which future president Juan Peron was a member) cultivated strategic deals with Nazi officials during World War II. And after the war, Peron's ascent to the presidency led to an influx in Argentina of Nazis fleeing a vanquished Germany.

These Nazis sought refuge all over South America. But -- as journalist Uki Goni chronicled in his book "The Real Odessa" -- Argentina was the region's only country known to actively encourage the immigration and employment of former Nazi party members.

Historian Jorge Camarasa, who has written extensively on the post-war Nazi exodus to South America, guesses that between 15,000 and 20,000 Nazis and collaborators settled in Argentina after the war. Between 200 and 400 of them had been responsible for war crimes, experts say.

To date, five of those war criminals have been extradited from Argentina to countries where they can be prosecuted. And Adolf Eichmann -- who became infamous for his direction of Hitler's "Final Solution," which sent millions to concentration camps -- was captured by Israeli intelligence forces in the suburbs of Buenos Aires.

That was almost half a century ago, and Camarasa says that nature and history have changed the landscape since then. "I doubt that there are still any Nazi war criminals left in Argentina," Camarasa said, calculating that the youngest officers in 1945 would be about 90 years old by now.

But others are not so sure. Widder, of the Weisenthal Center, says he's "moderately optimistic" that there are still Nazi war criminals living in South America, and that they will be found. Of course, there's no denying that even the healthiest of them don't have many years left. Hence the name of the Weisenthal Center's initiative to find and bring them to justice: Operation Last Chance.

The initiative has turned up 515 suspects from almost 30 countries worldwide.

The bulk of them are not believed to be in Argentina -- a handful of European countries that fell under Nazi control in World War II dominate the list, and the U.S. and Canada also turn out to be popular Nazi refuges. But Argentina has yielded some of the most important war criminals in history, and just may be the current home of Operation Last Chance's most wanted fugitive: Aribert Heim, also known as "Dr. Death."

The New York Times reported evidence last month that Heim died in Cairo in 1992, having lived out the end of his life under an assumed Muslim identity. But Ephraim Zuroff, director of Operation Last Chance, is unconvinced. "The fact that his body can't be found is too perfect," said Zuroff, emphasizing that forensic tests of a corpse -- DNA, dental structure -- are the only sure way to establish someone's death.

And Zuroff thinks there's evidence that Heim is still alive. "Why hasn't his family claimed the 2 million euros in his bank account, which they could have done by simply presenting the death certificate?" he asked.

Zuroff, who claims responsibility for the investigations leading to all five of Argentina's previous extradition requests, said that he has invested much of the last four years searching for Heim in consultation with the German police. "We analyzed this case from every possible angle," he said, "and the suspicion was that he's probably in Patagonia," a large, picturesque region of southern Argentina and Chile.

There have been a number of reported sightings of Heim in the area in recent years. Operation Last Chance offers a hefty reward -- the bounty just increased to 1 million euros -- for information leading to Heim's apprehension.

Since those at the Weisenthal Center have no authority to make arrests, however, it's unclear what would happen even if "Dr. Death" or another war criminal is found in Argentina. "Is there the political will to investigate them and bring them to justice?" Zuroff wondered when he came to South America in pursuit of Heim in 2008.

But Zuroff is feeling more confident about local political will nowadays, having seen the strong Argentine response to the Williamson affair.

"There's no question that there's been an incredible change in Argentina from the days in which they were looking for Nazis to help them until today," he said.

Read more at GlobalPost.

Dr. Gonzo
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
You are pretty good with that google.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
You are pretty good with that google.

Facts don't lie.

Besides, I find it difficult to shove books into the interwebs.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Not by a long shot.

But, thanks for trying.

Another example why arguing with you is so frustrating. You make shit up constantly.

Maradona never had tied with drug cartels. He wasn't even accused of that.

But don't let the facts interfere with your lying.

sonic21
03-31-2009, 04:34 PM
the obvious answer is michael jackson.
i live in france ( where soccer is the main sport) and maradona or any other soccer players are not as popular as mcartney or jackson or even jordan.

CosmicCowboy
03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
On reflection, I would have to say the biggest living celebrity I can think of is Shaq. He's at least 350# and maybe closer to 400#.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
That Lefebrist bishop is British.

Peewee, the master of spin and lies.

And the fucker is a teacher.

what a disgrace . . .

smeagol
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
For the record, I hate Maradona.

I could care less if he is Argentine or from the moon. Nevertheless, I still think he is way up there in terms of popularity.

The fact some ignorant American does not know who he is does not change the fact he is one of the most popular people on this planet.

Wether the little aztect likes it or not . . .

mardigan
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
And I'm still going to go with Yao. Millions upon millions know who he is.

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
After thinking about it, I change my vote to Micheal Jackson. Do you know anyone else who have their own Indian version?

LbvP7dT3Dx0

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
That Lefebrist bishop is British.

Peewee, the master of spin and lies.

And the fucker is a teacher.

what a disgrace . . .

Pendejo, read the article.

Fuck, no wonder your ears are so fucking gigantic. They have to make up for what is lost inside your skull.

You're just all kinds of stupid.

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Another example why arguing with you is so frustrating. You make shit up constantly.

Maradona never had tied with drug cartels. He wasn't even accused of that.

But don't let the facts interfere with your lying.

It's an exaggeration, pinche estupido.

Maradonna is a coke-head and he's had legal issues due to his drug abuse.

Do you deny that?

Go ahead, take your time.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM

monosylab1k
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
And I'm still going to go with Yao. Millions upon millions know who he is.

:tu gotta agree with you on this one. Of course, if Yao was from Argentina you'd have alot more support.

leo_d
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CUnwPgopIk

David Bowie
03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
When I lived in Russia, I always thought that Pele was bigger the Maradonna. However, I doubt that most in in the U.S. would know either. Soccer just didn't catch on here, not that there's anything wrong with that .

DAF86
03-31-2009, 05:13 PM

You already asked this and nobody responded to you, can't you see that we're trying to ignore you?

DAF86
03-31-2009, 05:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CUnwPgopIk

That's a cool song but you fucked up my reply to dirk4mvp

leo_d
03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
That's a cool song but you fucked up my reply to dirk4mvp

:lol

DAF86
03-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Does Oprah have a movie?

Aye4TUFgsP8

David Bowie
03-31-2009, 05:27 PM
DAF86

My mother just walked in and saw your avater and now she thinks that I look at naked chicks all day, and I'm a chick. :depressed

DAF86
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Does she have two?

jGpl-1phSgs

peewee's lovechild
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
DAF86

My mother just wlaked in and saw your avater and now she thinks that I look at naked chicks all day, and I'm a chick. :depressed

That's a nice pic.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
DAF86

My mother just wlaked in and saw your avater and now she thinks that I look at naked chicks all day, and I'm a chick. :depressed

I apologize, tell your mother I'm sorry. :)

smeagol
03-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Pendejo, read the article.

Fuck, no wonder your ears are so fucking gigantic. They have to make up for what is lost inside your skull.

You're just all kinds of stupid.

The article is full of inaccuaracies, no need to read more then a couple of paragraphs.

leo_d
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
Maradona may be a lot of things, but also is a spur fan since TD was drafted in the nineties.

smeagol
03-31-2009, 06:49 PM
It's an exaggeration, pinche estupido.

Almost everything you write is a fucking exaggeration, that is why people think you're a fucking joke.

Maradonna is a coke-head and he's had legal issues due to his drug abuse.

So is a big % of Americans . . . what the fuck is you point? Maradona is still popular, even after all the trouble he has had with drugs.

Jacko touches little boys dicks for fun, and he is still popular.

Do you understand why I tell you your arguments are almost always moronic? They make little sense. They don't even defend your own stance.

E20
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
WTF is Mick Jager. I know Paul mccartney si a singer but what group did he sing for?

tp2021
03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
I still want to know if peewee still thinks TDK is one of the best movies ever made.

David Bowie
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Almost everything you write is a fucking exaggeration, that is why people think you're a fucking joke.

So is a big % of Americans . . . what the fuck is you point? Maradona is still popular, even after all the trouble he has had with drugs.

Jacko touches little boys dicks for fun, and he is still popular.

Do you understand why I tell you your arguments are almost always moronic? They make little sense. They don't even defend your own stance.

I kind of want to know why Pele never received as much attention as Maradona. I don't really follow soccer anymore, but back when I was a kid and living in Eastern Euope, I thought that Pele was the man. But nobody ever talks about him anymore.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I kind of want to know why Pele never received as much attention as Maradona. I don't really follow soccer anymore, but back when I was a kid and living in Eastern Euope, I thought that Pele was the man. But nobody ever talks about him anymore.

Because most of the people never saw him play and because he's a corporate rat that goes wherever the wind blows, while Maradona is the "rebel" and everybody knows how people love the "bad guys".

Cane
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't follow soccer at all but can recognize these names: Zidane, Pele, and Beckham. Never heard of Maradonna and like the other guy I thought it was a typo for Madonna - then again I don't give two flying fucks about soccer and niether does America. America barely cares about any sport other than football and baseball anyway and even in a city like SA I bet there are more Cowboys fans than Spurs/any basketball team.

World's biggest living celebrity? I'm surprised there isn't a single real actor or actress on there, I'd figure Harrison Ford or some name like that would get a mention. I voted for MJordan because of my basketball bias and he's still a worldwide recognized brand name...but in retrospect Oprah, Michael Jackson and Yao Ming were superior choices. In this current climate the former is heralded as one of the largest and powerful figures in the world. She has enough money to buy out half of the poll's list with money to spare all the while influencing women worldwide.

And unfortunately for the world, anything the Western powers (namely the US of A) likes and deems cool, the rest of the world falls in place like dominos. Who do you think owns companies like MTV whose sole job is to sell cool to the new generation? When it comes to creating stardom and generating popularity whether good or bad, the USA is where its fostered and developed. Because of this, soccer players will never get the recognition shared by celebrities of other fields.

dirk4mvp
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
You already asked this and nobody responded to you, can't you see that we're trying to ignore you?

Actually Thunder Dan said he thought you guys mispelled Madonna. What a popular guy!