PDA

View Full Version : Assist. Coach to coach AUSSIE team

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25268466-11088,00.html

Brett Brown to coach Boomers

Ron Reed

March 31, 2009 11:15am

AMERICAN Brett Brown is to return to Australian basketball as head coach of the national team, the Boomers.

Basketball Australia announced today that Brown, 48, assistant coach of the famed San Antonio Spurs, would replace veteran Brian Goorjian, who has been in charge for six years.

Brown said today that his goal was to deliver Australia's first Olympic medal in London in 2012, but admitted that it would be tough to achieve.

"The world is getting better, but I can't back-pedal on our goal," he said.

"I can't have our players thinking anything else."

Brown, whose wife is from Melbourne, is well-known to Australian basketball fans.

He was assistant coach of the Boomers for 132 games between 1995 and 2003, including the Atlanta and Sydney Olympics.

Formerly an assistant to legendary coach Lindsay Gaze at the Melbourne Tigers, he was head coach of the North Melbourne Giants from 1993 to 1998 and the Sydney Kings from 2000 to 2002.

In 278 games as a head coach in the NBL, he has a 149-129 win-loss record and was coach of the year when the Giants won ther championship in 1994.

Goorjian, who was the NBL's coach of the year this year, taking the South Dragons from bottom to the championship, accepted the change graciously.

"I've known Brett for a long time," he said. "He's a great coach and a good person and I wish him every success."

San Antonio's legendary head coach Gregg Popovich also endorsed the appointment, saying: "Brett Brown has been paramount to the success of the San Antonio Spurs over the past decade and I am confident his technical and people skills will be well received by the team and the organisation.

"He is both a top-notch coach and person."

Brown will continue to work with the Spurs as the NBA season (October to June) does not conflict with the international season (July to September.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Awesome! Well done, Brett. :toast

I've met Brett and had a long chat with him and he's a fantastic guy, a great basketball mind and absolutely committed to the cause of winning.

tp2021
03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Good for Brett. Also good to know Pop has achieved LEGENDARY STATUS!

Ocotillo
03-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Replacement? Jacque Vaughn?

timvp
03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Interesting. I remember a few Aussies said he was regarded as a bad coach the last time he was in Australia.

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Interesting. I remember a few Aussies said he was regarded as a bad coach the last time he was in Australia.

Thats cause he had a shit team :D and when you have 1 city with 3 teams, then you got a huge problem trying to attract a fan base when 2 of the other teams are well establish. At the end of the day only 1 team remained in the city :D....The local league down here is pretty much dead atm with lesser teams in the competition and the trend will continue...

MI21
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
It's always surprised me how Brett has worked his way up through the Spurs coaching hierarchy. He was not a great coach in Australia, but has obviously shown something otherwise Pop wouldn't have kept him in his staff.

Best of luck to Brett! :tu

(Btw, tdmvp, he didn't have shit teams by any means. His teams were always stacked.)

xcoriate
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmm, interesting that they dropped Goorjian... he was pretty highly regarded in Australian circles. That being said I probably agree that a change was required.

Brett has to figure out a way to build around Bogut using the FIBA ruleset... not that that's easy given how even TD struggled..

Goorjian never figured out how to use Bogut as anything but a rebounder/garbage man.

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2009, 10:22 PM
It's always surprised me how Brett has worked his way up through the Spurs coaching hierarchy. He was not a great coach in Australia, but has obviously shown something otherwise Pop wouldn't have kept him in his staff.

Best of luck to Brett! :tu

(Btw, tdmvp, he didn't have shit teams by any means. His teams were always stacked.)

cmon man his team north melb giants were a joke...besides mcdonald and fisher, they had nothing else....inferior team compared to the other 2 melb teams at the time.

AussieFanKurt
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
The Australian league for basketball in Australia has less skill than probably all of the sweet 16 and definitely less skill than the elite 8.

crc21209
03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Congrats to Brett Brown. :toast