PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Thisclose To Playoff Berth

duncan228
03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Spurs thisclose to playoff berth (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/03/spurs-thisclose.html)
By Jeff McDonald

There won't be champagne on ice at the AT&T Center on Tuesday night. No streamers. No confetti. No big party plans.

The Spurs can clinch their 12th consecutive playoff berth with a victory over Oklahoma City, but it won't be cause for much of a celebration. Around these parts, playoff berths are expected. The Spurs would no more celebrate a playoff berth than they would their next breath.

It's a mere formality this time around, too.

The Spurs are nine games ahead of ninth-place Phoenix in the loss column. They have nine games to play. The Suns have eight. The best record Phoenix can muster is 48-34. The worst record the Spurs can post is 48-34. The Spurs own the head-to-head tiebreaker.

The only reason the Spurs haven't already clinched: If they go 0-9, and the Suns go 8-0, there are still scenarios in which the teams wind up in a multi-team tie. The Spurs, technically, could still lose such a tiebreaker.

One more Spurs victory -- or one more Suns loss -- renders such a scenario impossible. One more Spurs victory -- or one more Suns loss -- and the Spurs are in the playoffs again.

Let the party begin. Or not.

tp2021
03-30-2009, 10:47 PM
The Spurs still might not make the playoffs, unless they win one more game.

There. My version, with less wasted paper.

03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
spurs should win the game against okc, bomb the rest of the season, end up in the 8th spot, and play the lakers in the first round. duncan and parker can rest and ginobili can get into shape. develop hill or mason by starting them at point guard. spurs can also get a higher draft pick for next season. yeah just do it.

crc21209
03-31-2009, 12:32 AM
Time to clinch....

Cry Havoc
03-31-2009, 12:48 AM
But... I thought Hollinger said we weren't going to make the playoffs?

Mr. Body
03-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Personally, I'll wait until Hollinger confirms...

Yuixafun
03-31-2009, 01:03 AM
The Spurs still might not make the playoffs, unless they win one more game.

There. My version, with less wasted paper.

:hat

Efficient.

Spursfan092120
03-31-2009, 01:05 AM
spurs should win the game against okc, bomb the rest of the season, end up in the 8th spot, and play the lakers in the first round. duncan and parker can rest and ginobili can get into shape. develop hill or mason by starting them at point guard. spurs can also get a higher draft pick for next season. yeah just do it.
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/royal-fail.jpg

Dex
03-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Spurs will stamp their ticket to the playoffs tonight against OKC.

braeden0613
03-31-2009, 01:35 AM
You are probably kidding but I know there are some people here that seriously believe we should do this..

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 09:55 AM
spurs can also get a higher draft pick for next season. yeah just do it.

It belongs to OKC...