PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Time Has Come To Expand Use Of Instant Replay

duncan228
03-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Time has come to expand use of instant replay (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Time_has_come_to_expand_use_of_instant_replay.html )
Mike Monroe

The NBA is good about reacting to rules that need tweaking when situations arise that prove change is required.

The latest example: Beginning next season, teams will not be able to score while having too many men on the court, as the Trail Blazers did in a game against the Celtics on Dec. 30.

The NBA's competition committee last week came up with a common-sense compromise that allows the team that played five against six to accept the action that occurred, or to nullify it. The team that played with six always gets a technical foul.

In other words, if the team playing five-on-six scores before the inequity is discovered, it can keep the two points.

It's a great response, though I might have preferred a declaration that any team that gets scored on when it has a six-on-five advantage be declared that game's loser, just on general principle.

Why it took the Celtics losing a close game — 91-86, with the Blazers getting one basket while having the extra player — to realize the rule needed a tweak is open for debate.

Once the competition committee tackled the rule, though, it got things right.

I wonder if the committee needs to look at another issue. After seeing evidence that a mistake was made at the end of Sunday's Spurs-Hornets game, it seems an expanded use of instant replay is warranted.

When Manu Ginobili fouled Chris Paul so the Spurs, trailing by one point, could stop the clock on a play that began with fewer than 24 seconds left, it was clear to viewers on television, who had benefit of having the game clock in a corner of their screens, that the clock didn't stop when referee David Jones called the foul. It ran down for about two additional seconds, maybe more.

The official scorekeeper at New Orleans Arena informed the referees of the error. However, none of the three referees had seen the clock running after the foul was called. Thus, they informed the scorer that, by rule, they were not allowed to check a replay monitor.

Only when time expires at the end of a period can a timing issue be reviewed by replay. This covers the clock being started either too soon or too late, plus physical malfunction of the clock.

Ordinarily, I'm opposed to anything that injects more replay review, but when the official timekeeper or scorekeeper sees that a mistake clearly has been made in the final 24 seconds of a game, it seems reasonable to use replay to get things right.

I'll be surprised if the competition committee isn't asked to consider such a change when it meets this summer.

Of course, if the Spurs hadn't had their second-worst 3-point shooting game of the season, Sunday's outcome might not have hinged on a timing error.

That the Spurs missed 22 of 29 3-point shots wasn't the most shocking result of the day, though.

The Suns blowing a chance to tighten the race for the West's final playoff berth by losing to the worst team in the West was a true stunner, especially since the Suns already knew the eighth-place Mavericks had lost to Cleveland on Sunday morning.

Sunday was a day of big surprises:

• How could the Hawks have beaten the Lakers when Joe Johnson, Atlanta's best player, went 4 for 18, with four turnovers?

• Who expected to see Allen Iverson back on the court for the Pistons at all this season. But there he was Sunday, helping Detroit beat Philadelphia?

Some things, though, were entirely predictable. CBS' “60 Minutes” ran a profile on LeBron James that credited him with inventing the pregame resin toss. Had the “60 Minutes” staff done a little more research, it would have known it was another No. 23 that came up with that ritual: Michael Jordan, James' boyhood idol.

Spursfan092120
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Time has come to expand use of instant replay (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Time_has_come_to_expand_use_of_instant_replay.html )
Mike Monroe

The NBA is good about reacting to rules that need tweaking when situations arise that prove change is required.

The latest example: Beginning next season, teams will not be able to score while having too many men on the court, as the Trail Blazers did in a game against the Celtics on Dec. 30.

The NBA's competition committee last week came up with a common-sense compromise that allows the team that played five against six to accept the action that occurred, or to nullify it. The team that played with six always gets a technical foul.

In other words, if the team playing five-on-six scores before the inequity is discovered, it can keep the two points.

It's a great response, though I might have preferred a declaration that any team that gets scored on when it has a six-on-five advantage be declared that game's loser, just on general principle.

Why it took the Celtics losing a close game — 91-86, with the Blazers getting one basket while having the extra player — to realize the rule needed a tweak is open for debate.

Once the competition committee tackled the rule, though, it got things right.

I wonder if the committee needs to look at another issue. After seeing evidence that a mistake was made at the end of Sunday's Spurs-Hornets game, it seems an expanded use of instant replay is warranted.

When Manu Ginobili fouled Chris Paul so the Spurs, trailing by one point, could stop the clock on a play that began with fewer than 24 seconds left, it was clear to viewers on television, who had benefit of having the game clock in a corner of their screens, that the clock didn't stop when referee David Jones called the foul. It ran down for about two additional seconds, maybe more.

The official scorekeeper at New Orleans Arena informed the referees of the error. However, none of the three referees had seen the clock running after the foul was called. Thus, they informed the scorer that, by rule, they were not allowed to check a replay monitor.

Only when time expires at the end of a period can a timing issue be reviewed by replay. This covers the clock being started either too soon or too late, plus physical malfunction of the clock.

Ordinarily, I'm opposed to anything that injects more replay review, but when the official timekeeper or scorekeeper sees that a mistake clearly has been made in the final 24 seconds of a game, it seems reasonable to use replay to get things right.

I'll be surprised if the competition committee isn't asked to consider such a change when it meets this summer.

Of course, if the Spurs hadn't had their second-worst 3-point shooting game of the season, Sunday's outcome might not have hinged on a timing error.

That the Spurs missed 22 of 29 3-point shots wasn't the most shocking result of the day, though.

The Suns blowing a chance to tighten the race for the West's final playoff berth by losing to the worst team in the West was a true stunner, especially since the Suns already knew the eighth-place Mavericks had lost to Cleveland on Sunday morning.

Sunday was a day of big surprises:

• How could the Hawks have beaten the Lakers when Joe Johnson, Atlanta's best player, went 4 for 18, with four turnovers?

• Who expected to see Allen Iverson back on the court for the Pistons at all this season. But there he was Sunday, helping Detroit beat Philadelphia?

Some things, though, were entirely predictable. CBS' “60 Minutes” ran a profile on LeBron James that credited him with inventing the pregame resin toss. Had the “60 Minutes” staff done a little more research, it would have known it was another No. 23 that came up with that ritual: Michael Jordan, James' boyhood idol.
UGH..I know..pissed me the hell off. Jordan was my favorite, and to see LeBron get credited for that is just wrong.

ElNono
03-31-2009, 12:04 AM
It was the Spurs that got screwed over. The rule will be reviewed when it happens to the Cavs or Lakers. Until then, I don't really expect anything to change.

crc21209
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Two words. No shit. :lol

Blackjack
03-31-2009, 01:23 AM

Monroe,

Pot be calling kettle...

One black sonbitch.

Had they done their research???:lmao

timvp
03-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Monroe,

Pot be calling kettle...

One black sonbitch.

:lol:lol

VaSpursFan
03-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Monroe,

Pot be calling kettle...

One black sonbitch.

:lol:lol:lol Monroe crticizing someone for lack of research...classic!!!

Obstructed_View
03-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Jordan didn't throw it in the air, he clapped it in Johnny Kerr's face.

polandprzem
03-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Monroe,

Pot be calling kettle...

One black sonbitch.

You just hit 21 off hand

:lmao

benefactor
03-31-2009, 05:17 AM
Monroe,

Pot be calling kettle...

One black sonbitch.

This was the first thing I thought of too. :downspin:

Wasn't Garnett doing it before Lebron too?

AussieFanKurt
03-31-2009, 05:24 AM
Laker fans are the Jehovah's witnesses of the NBA.

-HarlemHeat37

looooooooooooooooooooooooool!

Allanon
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
This rule will never change. That was 2 seconds in a 48 minute game.

It's not just this game, EVERY NBA game is off by more than just 2 seconds. It was just magnified because it was in the closing seconds of a close game.

Maybe they modify the rule for only the closing seconds of a close game. Or maybe only the last 24 seconds of each or quarter. Or maybe in the last 2 minutes of every quarter. Or maybe only once a quarter. Or maybe....

It just doesn't work, the timekeepers are human and their reaction time will vary, sometimes it works great when we win, and sucks when we lose.

Obstructed_View
03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure how that amount of time really contributed to the outcome of the game. Maybe the Spurs should have secured some rebounds or driven to the basket a few more times.

ambchang
03-31-2009, 01:41 PM
The rule will be changed when either the Celtics or Lakers gets on the bad end of it.

fyatuk
03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
It just doesn't work, the timekeepers are human and their reaction time will vary, sometimes it works great when we win, and sucks when we lose.

I think it might get changed, but I hope not with something too loose.

I get annoyed when a ref stops the game to put 1 second back on the clock in the middle of a quarter while one team is WALKING the ball up the court. It just seems pointless.

I could see something being done to allow timing reviews in the last minute where 10ths of a second could make a difference, though.

ducks
03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
tp fouled at the 16 mark NO CALL!