PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Lakers Hypothetical Question

PeterBurns
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
This was the subject of debate on the show this morning and wanted your feedback.

Let's say that the Spurs Lakers meet each other at some point in the playoffs

Would you rather...

A) Meet them in the WCF Finals. 1 Vs. 2/3 Seed
B) Meet them in the 2nd Round 1 Vs 4/5 Seed

Andy said that anyone that chooses B is an idiot.
Me being the idiot that I am, believe B is not that bad of a choice.

1) Spurs Fresher (They were worn down last year)
2) Bynum still not back yet, less time to working him into rotation (Like Spurs this year.
3) If they lose, I would almost rather them lose in the 2nd round, then tease me with a WCF trip.

Your thoughts?

Spork KIller
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
This was the subject of debate on the show this morning and wanted your feedback.

Would you rather...

2) Bynum still not back yet, less time to working him into rotation (Like Spurs this year.
3) If they lose, I would almost rather them lose in the 2nd round, then tease me with a WCF trip.

Your thoughts?

Thoughts?

You won't get to see the Lakers in any round bitch!

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Bynum is going to be back before that (or at least that is what all signs indicate) so that as of now is not looking good for option B. Plus, even without Bynum, they are better than the Spurs as of right now.

If the Spurs can get healthier (which they have showed some signs), get the rotations set (which is too early to tell if Pop is doing more bad than good) and if they can play more minutes (the big 3) along with finding a back up pg situation that is decent, the Spurs are better than the Lakers without Bynum.

This leads me to believe you want to play them later. So option A is my choice. The Spurs need time to gel/get healthy, so why play the Lakers in the 2nd round?

xtremesteven33
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
I would chose A based on reverse thinking.

The Lakers are not the most freshest team right now in the NBA. I hear reports that fatigue and tired legs are showing in Kobe/Fisher/ and Gasol already. If the Lakers were to make it all the way to the WCF's whos to say THEY wont be the tired legs?

Pop has been rotating his players and handling their minutes really well that come playoff time they would be fresh for every round. Last year wasnt the case of "tired legs" more of older legs if you ask me.

That being said Choice A would be my pick due to the importance of the matchup and what is at stake.

romain.star
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
spork killer. You are very funny, dumber than funny, but very funny

Spursfan092120
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I would chose A based on reverse thinking.

The Lakers are not the most freshest team right now in the NBA. I hear reports that fatigue and tired legs are showing in Kobe/Fisher/ and Gasol already. If the Lakers were to make it all the way to the WCF's whos to say THEY wont be the tired legs?

Pop has been rotating his players and handling their minutes really well that come playoff time they would be fresh for every round. Last year wasnt the case of "tired legs" more of older legs if you ask me.

That being said Choice A would be my pick due to the importance of the matchup and what is at stake.
Agreed

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
As a Laker fan I definitely prefer A

- Bynum has more time to get into a groove.
- LA would actually have more rest because most of the West is evenly matched up besides against LA. I don't expect any of the first 2 rounds to go past 5 for LA (Dallas may give up in 3) so LA will have plenty of downtime between series. OTOH, no other team in the West is going to easily take out anywhere else.

urunobili
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
B is the selection of my choice...

Why? we have never defeated them on the WCF... :depressed

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM

- LA would actually have more rest because most of the West is evenly matched up besides against LA. I don't expect any of the first 2 rounds to go past 5 (Dallas may give up in 3) so LA will have plenty of downtime between series.

One thing you might not be considering is that with the way the Spurs look right now, if they make it to WCF, that means they are probably healthy (because they won't make it that far unless they are), they are playing extremely well (like you said having to go through 2 tough match-ups) and will be extremely focused from having to play at a high-level.

JWest596
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
All depends if the team airplane can get off the ground.

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
One thing you might not be considering is that with the way the Spurs look right now, if they make it to WCF, that means they are probably healthy (because they won't make it that far unless they are), they are playing extremely well (like you said having to go through 2 tough match-ups) and will be extremely focused from having to play at a high-level.

The Spurs being healthy doesn't worry me. The issue with SA isn't healthy alone its age as well as matchups.

Even if healthy,
- they aren't nearly as athletic as prior versions
- still have no answer for Gasol/Bynum inside
- can't effectively keep Kobe away from the basket
- Parker can't score on Ariza or Kobe
- SA can't play the lockdown physical perimeter D and grind the game out like before
- SA no longer gets easy baskets outside of TP's one-man break.

SA is going to have to beat LA in an offensive game to knock them out and no team can do that in a 7-game series. Key to beating the Lakers is making it a grind-out physical game that jams up the tri and forces LA to their 3rd and 4th choices on offense. Boston did that last year and to a degree this season, SA used to do that in the past, but this year neither SA nor Cleveland matches up to do that.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
The Spurs being healthy doesn't worry me. The issue with SA isn't healthy alone its age as well. Even if healthy, they aren't nearly as athletic as prior versions. Fully healthy, SA still has no answer for Gasol/Bynum inside, nor can they effectively keep Kobe away from the basket, nor can Parker score on Ariza or Kobe, nor can SA play the lockdown physical perimeter D and grind the game out like before.

lol

mytespurs
03-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Thoughts?

True...that's one thing the Phoenix Suns need not worry about this year!

Spursfan092120
03-31-2009, 12:22 PM

- LA would actually have more rest because most of the West is evenly matched up besides against LA. I don't expect any of the first 2 rounds to go past 5 for LA (Dallas may give up in 3) so LA will have plenty of downtime between series. OTOH, no other team in the West is going to easily take out anywhere else.
:rolleyes There we go again with another Laker fan thinking they're going to tear through rounds, and thinking no one's even close to them. This is setting Laker fan up for a first round loss. And who WOULDN'T laugh at such a thing? And let me remind you. Your team was better last year...our team is better this year. This is a totally different season Laker fan. See you in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd rather A..

Kobe looks like shit right now..did you guys think about that? he's coming off a LONG playoff run last year, followed by the long Olympic run, and now he's going through another long season in which the Lakers are expected to make it to at least the conference finals..he's also playing through a hand injury..

if he continues to look bad, it might very well be due to fatigue..

- playoff Duncan has already proven he can stop Gasol..Duncan has never had problems with Gasol in his career..a few of the games in the series last year were pretty much the only time Gasol has ever contained Duncan..

as good as Gasol is..he's putting in major minutes without Bynum..there's a very legit possibility that this will put it's toll on his body..

- I'll take my chances with Bynum..it took him until January to finally play at a high level..he's going to be coming off an injury with little chemistry with the team..it always takes bigs longer to re-adjust, especially when they're cautious after their 2nd major injury in consecutive seasons..

Bynum has to play the defensive anchor and rebound..he didn't do that for most of the season, which had Laker fans complaining..if Bynum comes out as a scorer, I don't mind at all..anything to take the ball away from Kobe and Gasol is fine with me..

- Ariza might be able to defend Parker effectively, but Kobe? no chance..Kobe would get torched by TP..

Kobe covering Manu would be even better..if Kobe has to put in so much energy defensively, the better for us..

- our D has been the best in the NBA for the last month and a half..

mytespurs
03-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Would you rather...

Your thoughts?

Hmm.......hard to choose...I don't think the Spurs would be favored either choice; the Lakers, as a collective, seem to be the better team at this point even worn down and they will be getting Bynum back which will give them a boost. I would tend to lean towards A because hopefully the Spurs will be healthy, playing at full strength and more consistently.

xtremesteven33
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Lakers: 2 allstar caliber players

Spurs: 3 allstar caliber players

Spursone
03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
:flag:I'd probably go with B. since Pop needs more time to solidify his rotations, I can't figure out what he's trying to do from game to game. But if the issue was strictly health we may want to get them over with sooner than later. I still see the Spurs as the underdog until I am proven otherwise.

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
:rolleyes There we go again with another Laker fan thinking they're going to tear through rounds, and thinking no one's even close to them. This is setting Laker fan up for a first round loss. And who WOULDN'T laugh at such a thing? And let me remind you. Your team was better last year...our team is better this year. This is a totally different season Laker fan. See you in the playoffs.

We'll see indeed.

But its all about matchups. SA/NO is a war - especially if both teams are healthy. LA vs Dallas? Even when LA was struggling to make the playoffs, they would kick Dallas' ass. Now with a Laker team fully loaded they are going out in Round 1? Please. This isn't GS vs Dal - where GS had Dallas' number and coach. Denver was a tougher matchup for LA last year than Dallas is this year and we saw how that ended up.

Not only is LA have the 2nd best record in the league (playing in a tougher conference) but they have the best road record in the league (27-10) - a sign of a championship level ball club. I just can't see this team with Bynum and Ariza healthy losing 2 in a row on the road.

I also don't see a team in the first 2 rounds with a strong enough road record to take them out either. The only other team in the West thats comfortably over .500 is SA. The rest of the playoff teams are no better than 2 above .500, some are even below. Yet they are going to push LA in Staples? Please.

LA cruises to the WCF. If SA is able to get there and they aren't too wore out, it may be a good series. Anyone else and its no contest except I'd give a nod to Chris Paul. He's the only player in the West (Spurs included) who can beat the Lakers by himself. SA's Big 3 does it with teamwork and are a better team but Paul is a Laker Killer. He wills the Hornets above their ability - especially against LA.

Lakers: 2 allstar caliber players

Spurs: 3 allstar caliber players

LOL. Considering Kobe may be just as good as Parker and Ginobili combined, I'd call it a draw.

Also, come WCF time Bynum would have almost 2 months under his belt. He should be rolling by then.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
I definitely have to agree that LA getting Dallas in the 1st round would be horrible for the rest of the West..

I'm hoping the Hornets fall to 8th..

mytespurs
03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
This speculation is interesting but I come back to: it's entirely possible that the Spurs/Lakers won't even meet in the playoffs. Lakers appear unbeatable in the West, the Spurs are the Spurs but anything can happen.......things, as they appear, aren't always a given. :hat

urunobili
03-31-2009, 12:52 PM
:lol at 2Cleva thinking that Kobe on TP is the answer... if he does that.. will Sasha stop a healthy Manu? :lmao Odom maybe.. i dunno how skilled he is defensively but the fluke you saw last year of a one legged Ginobili being stopped by a scrub is not what will happen if we get to play y'all healthy...

Kobe will guard Manu... and TP will fuck Fisher as never before... TP is the key for that series if we;re going to win it..

it has been way too long with Gasol having great games against Duncan... that tendency is about to get stopped... Bynum could get a handsful with an experienced Thomas...

The only place where I see us failing to match up is against Ariza... unless Sue and Morrison suddenly become playoff contributors...

Damn i have agr8 feeling about that series now that i thought about it again... ofcourse considering everybody get their pieces healthy on a potential match up...

IronMexican
03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
I want to see LA vs SA with both teams healthy. I think the best round for that to happen in is the 2nd. SA is going to expand a lot of energy getting to the WCF, because they are a bit older.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 12:54 PM
it's all irrelevant if we don't get healthy and get some chemistry though, so we'll see..

currently, the Lakers are much better than us..

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
If Kobe is on Parker, Ariza can guard Ginobili. More than likely it will be the other way around though. No worries for me either way.

Check every 2nd half for Parker against LA over the last 2 years and you know how any playoff matchups will end up. He might as sit with Eva because they will both be contributing just as much.

mytespurs
03-31-2009, 01:09 PM
it's all irrelevant if we don't get healthy and get some chemistry though, so we'll see..

currently, the Lakers are much better than us..

I have to agree. IF the Spurs/Lakers meet, I'd have to go with the Lakers 'cause they appear to be the better team collectively.

Showtime24 LAKERS
03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
whats the point of choosing...either one your spurs won't pass us.

Horse
03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Parker can and will score on anyone. If Manu is healthy they can't just focus on Tony. Duncan will make pau his bitch once it's playoff time. This is about the deepest Spur team I can remember for awhile. Don't discount Gooden's offense opening things up for Timmy. The one thing every team must worry with is against la no team, in the whole league will get a fair shot. Only reason Parkers game ever falls off against la is phil's no stop bitching at the refs, And he is a master at it, Why do you think the knicks never beat the bulls.

Spursfan092120
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM
LA cruises to the WCF. If SA is able to get there and they aren't too wore out, it may be a good series.

LOL. Considering Kobe may be just as good as Parker and Ginobili combined, I'd call it a draw.
I actually agree with almost your whole comment except for the things I left on here. First off, Never..EVER say your team will cruise to anything..ask Mavericks fan..it's just not smart. Dallas' team was better in 2007 than LA's team is this year...period. Kobe is NOT as good as Manu and Parker combined. Parker's faster than Kobe, and Manu has moves to get around people that Kobe only dreams of having. Even Kobe says Manu is his favorite player to watch in the league. Kobe just has this uncanny ability to take a game over. But he's not better than both combined. Better than both, yes, but not combined.

Spursfan092120
03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
whats the point of choosing...either one your spurs won't pass us.
God..here we go again..Laker fan acting like they're crowned already. Haven't won a title in 7 years and we've won 3, yet we don't have a chance, do we? :rolleyes What a complete douchebag. Truth? The 2007 Mavericks were better than this year's Lakers, and they got shit on in the first round. Don't buy your Finals tickets yet..you're not there yet.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
it really sucks that we can't play LA in the finals..you know, since Kobe ALWAYS chokes when it matters..

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Parker can and will score on anyone. If Manu is healthy they can't just focus on Tony. Duncan will make pau his bitch once it's playoff time. This is about the deepest Spur team I can remember for awhile. Don't discount Gooden's offense opening things up for Timmy. The one thing every team must worry with is against la no team, in the whole league will get a fair shot. Only reason Parkers game ever falls off against la is phil's no stop bitching at the refs, And he is a master at it, Why do you think the knicks never beat the bulls.

Again - you really need to check what Parker did in the 2nd half against LA over the past 2 years. LA lets him do what he wants early against Fisher but he gets nothing in the 2nd half at all because they dare him to shoot and put a long defender on him thats quick enough to protect the basket. And switching on the P&R hurt because its often LO or even Gasol who are quick enough but have length to bother TP's layup attempt.

Its not just the refs - its the better personnel.

Gervin44Silas13
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Fuck the Lakers...there aren't even Lakes in LA....Call them the Quakers...cause the big one is comming to bury there ass and that sorry piss gold and gay purple team. That way we don't have to see ugly David "the Heb" Stern comissioner of a faggot rigged NBA fix games for them., and that Raper THAT WEARS *#8 (alegedly) NOW #24.

i HOPE BRUCE GIVES THAT FAGGOT KOBE A CHEAP SHOT.

PEOPLE THAT ARE LAKERS FANS ARE WANNABES AND FAGS
GUYS THAT ARE NAMED KOBE ARE RAPERS AND FAGS!

gO sPURS gO!

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 01:31 PM
I actually agree with almost your whole comment except for the things I left on here. First off, Never..EVER say your team will cruise to anything..ask Mavericks fan..it's just not smart. Dallas' team was better in 2007 than LA's team is this year...period. Kobe is NOT as good as Manu and Parker combined. Parker's faster than Kobe, and Manu has moves to get around people that Kobe only dreams of having. Even Kobe says Manu is his favorite player to watch in the league. Kobe just has this uncanny ability to take a game over. But he's not better than both combined. Better than both, yes, but not combined.

Dallas better than LA? Please. Kobe vs Dirk? Phil vs Avery? 2nd option of Gasol vs Howard? At no level was Dallas better, with final record to still be decided.

And again - Dallas got their matchup from Hell with a GS team that had more firepower, a defensive answer for Dirk, and a coach who knew the team better than their own coach.

As for Kobe not better than both combined - please. If any GM had Parker and Ginobili and could deal them both for Kobe they'd do it and run away before LA got off their crack high.

Drom John
03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
All things being equal, it doesn't matter.
But if Utah can stay at 4/5 then it is not equal.
I'd much rather the Spurs player the Lakers after the Jazz had beat them up.

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
All things being equal, it doesn't matter.
But if Utah can stay at 4/5 then it is not equal.
I'd much rather the Spurs player the Lakers after the Jazz had beat them up.

Just like last year?

LA can win in Utah. Utah can't win in LA (or on the road vs any good team).

That series would be over in 5 instead of 6 because of LA being better with Bynum and Ariza and Utah not improving from last season.

DAF86
03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Why the 2nd round when we can face them in the first?

mytespurs
03-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Dallas better than LA? Please. Kobe vs Dirk? Phil vs Avery? 2nd option of Gasol vs Howard? At no level was Dallas better, with final record to still be decided.

And again - Dallas got their matchup from Hell with a GS team that had more firepower, a defensive answer for Dirk, and a coach who knew the team better than their own coach.

As for Kobe not better than both combined - please. If any GM had Parker and Ginobili and could deal them both for Kobe they'd do it and run away before LA got off their crack high.

Perhaps so but Ginobili and Parker aren't exactly trash........

And while I agree w/you on the Dallas/LA best record comparison and the Lakers are rightfully favored all things considered, they are not a definite lock...anything can happen. :hat

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Just for the record, I'm not saying LA runs through the Spurs like they weren't even there, but LA clearly has the edge in almost every facet.

But for the rest of the West? They don't have a chance assuming everyone for LA plays.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-31-2009, 02:46 PM
2Cleva, even though Dallas got their matchup from hell in the first round in '07, they still notched 67 wins that season. Statistically, they were better than l.a.'s team is this year. Not saying that team would've beaten this year's laker team, or that dallas would've won a title had they not played GS, but it's extremely unwise to prematurely claim a berth for your team in the finals when there are wildcards in the field like the Spurs. Extremely unwise.

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 02:47 PM
while anything can happen..the Lakers are obviously better than that Dallas team, it's not debatable..

2Cleva
03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
2Cleva, even though Dallas got their matchup from hell in the first round in '07, they still notched 67 wins that season. Statistically, they were better than l.a.'s team is this year. Not saying that team would've beaten this year's laker team, or that dallas would've won a title had they not played GS, but it's extremely unwise to prematurely claim a berth for your team in the finals when there are wildcards in the field like the Spurs. Extremely unwise.

And again, record may be the lone similarity between Dallas and LA. Dallas fans were new to this, LA fans who have been around the block long enough know the difference between when their team is a pretenders, contender, and the unquestioned bully on the block. LA has been all 3 of those things since I've been following them and where the West is concerned they are now in stage 3.

I'm not saying God sent it to me on stone tablets but considering most of this team did just that last year and they are much stronger both mentally and roster-wise than last year now, with the teams in the West weaker than last year, I'm feeling pretty good about the chances.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
And again, record may be the lone similarity between Dallas and LA. Dallas fans were new to this, LA fans who have been around the block long enough know the difference between when their team is a pretenders, contender, and the unquestioned bully on the block. LA has been all 3 of those things since I've been following them and where the West is concerned they are now in stage 3.

I'm not saying God sent it to me on stone tablets but considering most of this team did just that last year and they are much stronger both mentally and roster-wise than last year now, with the teams in the West weaker than last year, I'm feeling pretty good about the chances.

That's all well and good, and if I were a laker fan I suppose I'd be feeling good about my team's chances as well. I've just never been the type of fan to claim anything before the playoffs begin and you've played teams that either have nothing to lose or are just getting back to full strength.

SpursDynasty
03-31-2009, 03:34 PM
The Lakers are not a team of concern this year....it doesn't matter whether we meet them in the first round, second round, or WCF's.

HORNSWOGGLE
03-31-2009, 03:41 PM
The Lakers are not a team of concern this year....it doesn't matter whether we meet them in the first round, second round, or WCF's.
:toast agreed +1

TheDarkSide.
03-31-2009, 03:48 PM
If Kobe is on Parker, Ariza can guard Ginobili. More than likely it will be the other way around though. No worries for me either way.

Check every 2nd half for Parker against LA over the last 2 years and you know how any playoff matchups will end up. He might as sit with Eva because they will both be contributing just as much.

HA. Shit i hope so that ankle breakage Ginobili pulled on Ariza earlier this year was hilarious. anybody got video of that?

to21
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
I might like to meet them early.

They were dead going into that first game last WCF, especially after going through a tough series with NO.

LEONARD
03-31-2009, 04:07 PM

:lol

redzero
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
The Spurs have no answer for the Lakers, going back to last season. Put simply, the Lakers make the Spurs look old. I think there will be a repeat of last year's Western Conference Finals. The Lakers don't need Bynum to beat the Spurs, but they might need him in the Finals.

sananspursfan21
03-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Thoughts?

hey there you are!!! haven't heard from you in forever. how've your suns been?

Ghazi
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
God..here we go again..Laker fan acting like they're crowned already. Haven't won a title in 7 years and we've won 3, yet we don't have a chance, do we? :rolleyes What a complete douchebag. Truth? The 2007 Mavericks were better than this year's Lakers, and they got shit on in the first round. Don't buy your Finals tickets yet..you're not there yet.

Mavs had an inferior point differential in a shitty West and had an inflated record due to 20-4 in games decided by 5 points or less

For that 50-5 stretch maybe, but for the other 33 games in the season not even close!

baseline bum
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
I'd rather do option B. There's no way the Lakers are going to get taken out by anyone else in the West, so the Spurs are going to have to go through LA on any path to advance to the Finals. I'd rather see the Spurs a bit fresher than see them in two dogfights while LA has two quick 4/5 game outs with Dallas and Utah/Houston. The Rockets can have the division for all I care. Utah in the first sounds like a much nicer matchup than New Orleans or Portland.

mytespurs
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
All this Spurs vs Lakers back & forth......heck, for all we know, the WCF finals could be Utah vs Houston....:lmao