PDA

View Full Version : Congenital Amputee Kyle Maynard to Make Amateur MMA Debut

LEONARD
03-31-2009, 02:26 PM
http://www.myspace.com/kylesmaynard

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper871/stills/42cc920a9bfa1-86-1.jpg

Kyle Maynard, congenital amputee, to fight Amateur Mixed Martial Arts
Saturday, April 25 in Auburn, AL at The Auburn Covered Arena

(Atlanta, GA, March 31, 2009) - One month after his 23rd birthday, Kyle Maynard will fulfill what has been a lifelong dream. He will compete in his first Amateur Mixed Martial Arts match. The match will take place on Saturday, April 25 in Auburn, AL at The Auburn Covered Arena in an event titled “Auburn Fight Night.”

Auburn Fight Night tickets and more information can be found at www.BattlePass.com.

Maynard, a congenital amputee with no elbows or knees, burst onto the national scene when he graduated from Collins Hill High School in Suwanee, GA with a wrestling record of 35-16 in his senior season and a 3.7 GPA. He is the recipient of a 2004 ESPN Espy Award for Best Athlete With A Disability and has been featured on many radio interviews, talk shows and television programs including The Oprah Winfrey Show and Larry King Live.

Currently he works as a speaker for the Washington Speaker's Bureau, specializing in motivational speeches. He is also the author of the memoir No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling and in Life.

In 2004, at the age of 18 while a student at The University of Georgia and a member of its club wrestling team, Maynard told a USA Today reporter “I’d love to fight in that” when pointing to a Randy Couture UFC poster hanging in his dorm room. The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), is often times referred to as the pinnacle of Mixed Martial Arts fighting.

Maynard will get his first opportunity to fight in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts on Saturday, April 25 in Auburn, AL. He will become the first congenital amputee to compete in a Mixed Martial Arts match.

Maynard was originally hoping to fight in his hometown of Duluth, GA nearly two years ago. The fight did not occur due to the Georgia Athletic & Entertainment Commission denying Maynard a license to fight. The state of Alabama has no Athletic Commission that governs the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.

“I’ve been promoting fights since 2002, nearly 50 events combined, and I’ve never seen someone with the drive that Kyle possesses,” said promoter David Oblas. “I’ve seen Kyle overcome every obstacle put in front of him and on Saturday, April 25 he will overcome yet another. This is something that Kyle has wanted to do for years now and something that I’m happy to help him achieve.”

Kyle Maynard added, “The first question that I receive from everyone is do I fear for my safety while fighting in the cage? Absolutely not. Despite my lack of limbs I can protect myself just as much as the average fighter. I have been preparing for this fight for years and I cannot wait for Saturday, April 25 to arrive. There is no challenge and no goal that I have worked as hard for as this one. I would like to thank all of my family, friends and training partners for their support as I enter the last 30 days of my training camp.”

desflood
03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
"Despite my lack of limbs I can protect myself just as much as the average fighter."

No. No, no, no no no no no.

djohn14
03-31-2009, 05:07 PM
I dont care how good he is...or isnt...there is no way I could fight him.

BlackSwordsMan
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
seriously wtf?

BlackSwordsMan
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
well you can't armbar him or get him in an ankle lock....

LEONARD
03-31-2009, 05:37 PM
What I don't get is the weight class...the guy he's fighting either has to be a midget, otherwise Kyle is going to be outweighed...

oligarchy
03-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Fuck the weight class. How do you call a knee or kick to downed opponent? :lol

Seriously, Alabama is a fuckstick of a state to allow this guy to fight. This guy is also an idiot :toast

LEONARD
03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
He's far from an idiot, actually...

Evan
03-31-2009, 06:24 PM
This is a freakshow. Sorry no way around it. I know that isn't PC but whatever.

BlackSwordsMan
03-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Rules are no kicks to a downed opponent.. uh...

robbie380
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
7xhVaoi7_TI

cornbread
03-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Much respect to this guy. He's doing what most people with 2 arms and 2 legs would never be brave enough to do.

I just hope he doesn't get hurt.

djohn14
03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
I dont see how he dosent get hurt....I dont see how this dosent end badly...I dont see how this is good for the sport.

Evan
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
This is a cheap way to sell tickets. This is isn't mma...its some form of grappling. Can he kick? Punch? No.

I don't mean to sound harsh and good luck to the kid..mass respect but he is being used.

dallaskd
04-01-2009, 04:14 PM
How exactly can he fight??

BlackSwordsMan
04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
watch fedor fight this guy he loves to fight nobodies :rolleyes

Evan
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
How exactly can he fight??

He can't which is why this entire thing is a BS quick money grab.

Now send him to grappling tournaments? Thats different.

dallaskd
04-01-2009, 05:48 PM
So he is going to get KO'd in about 5 seconds?? thats fucked up..

Grappling and folk wrestling are fair game..

LEONARD
04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
He could surprise...don't write him off...

oligarchy
04-02-2009, 06:12 PM
He's far from an idiot, actually...

Actually, no. You aren't a smart person if you have no arms and no legs and want to fight MMA. No way around that.

LEONARD
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Say what you want, but he's not an idiot...

He's training in MMA now...he wouldn't do it if he didn't think he could be somewhat successful, which is probably one fight to prove something to himself.

Just dismissing him as an idiot is very shortsighted IMO.

BlackSwordsMan
04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
fighting with no arms and no legs with no way to defend himself is smart

LEONARD
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
HE'S TRAINING IN MMA RIGHT NOW...HE WOULDN'T DO THIS IF HE WAS GOING TO GET KILLED...

He has arms, they're just short. I'm sure he could thump you with them if he was able to wrestle you to the ground. They're strong...I saw a video of him "bench pressing" a couple hundred lbs on each "arm"...

oligarchy
04-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Say what you want, but he's not an idiot...

He's training in MMA now...he wouldn't do it if he didn't think he could be somewhat successful, which is probably one fight to prove something to himself.

Just dismissing him as an idiot is very shortsighted IMO.

Well that's your opinion. And like his, it isn't very good. He can't punch or kick. That's not MMA. He can go play as a wrestler, but how the fuck can he submit someone? How can he KO someone?

It's a freakshow, as mentioned above. If he had a modicum of common sense, he wouldn't put himself in that situation. I don't care if he "trains" in MMA. If you think it's short sighted to look at someone with NO ARMS and NO LEGS fighting MMA, (I repeat MMA) then I can't help you. Mixed Martial Arts -- not crawling arts or whatever.

It may be insensitive, but I don't give a shit. It's a disgrace and Alabama has the world's dumbest commission to sanction this fight.

BlackSwordsMan
04-02-2009, 09:13 PM
yup he has really punching power with no hands :rolleyes

LEONARD
04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
He has arms and legs, they're just not that long...

BlackSwordsMan
04-03-2009, 12:03 AM
he's going to be on the next episode of bully beatdown

dallaskd
04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
He has arms and legs, they're just not that long...

A kick would probably do no damage. and i cant ever see him even getting close enough to land a punch. The reach advantage will be rediculous.

LEONARD
04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
A kick would probably do no damage. and i cant ever see him even getting close enough to land a punch. The reach advantage will be rediculous.

Surely you're joking...

dbreiden83080
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
I wish the guy luck, but this has to be strangest thing i have ever heard of..

oligarchy
04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Maynard is poised to show off his stand-up game. The reach of his nubs, er arms, should surely overwhelm. I've put together some entrance songs for him, feel free to add:

"Nub Hurts" - Nazareth
"Nub me tonight" - Tom Jones
"I will always nub you " - Whitney Houston
"All you need is nub" - Beatles
"Nub shack" - B52s
"What's nub got to do with it?" - Tina Turner
"Where is the nub?" - Black Eyed Peas
"Nub me tender" - Elvis Presley
"Tainted nub" - Softcell
"Ain't talkin' 'bout nub" - Van Halen
"Nub in an elevator" - Aerosmith
"When nub & hate collide" - Def Leppard
"Strangenub" - Depeche Mode
"Nub is a battlefield" - Pat Bennetar
"I want to know what nub is" - Foreigner
"Addicted to nub" - Robert Palmer
"Nub will find a way" - Lionel Ritchie
"This nub" - Pantera
"I nub you" - Barney
"Nub in the first degree" - Alabama
"Nub is on the way" - Saigon Kick
"Stop in the name of nub" - Supremes
"Can you feel the nub tonight?" - Elton John
"Everlasting nub" - U2

dallaskd
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Surely you're joking...

no not at all... ? that is fact. He will have a huge reach loss and how can he genearte any power from these legs...

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2004/11/17/inside-wrestler.jpg

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/images/ryan-jensen-kyle-maynard.jpg

and if he can then the guy would have to be literally next to him to make contact.

Please tell me you are joking a leg kick from him will hurt and he will not be in a huge reach disadvantage or you are a fucking idiot.

Evan
04-06-2009, 07:32 PM
just makes no sense to me

LEONARD
04-07-2009, 08:18 AM
no not at all... ? that is fact. He will have a huge reach loss and how can he genearte any power from these legs...

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2004/11/17/inside-wrestler.jpg

http://thefightworkspodcast.com/images/ryan-jensen-kyle-maynard.jpg

and if he can then the guy would have to be literally next to him to make contact.

Please tell me you are joking a leg kick from him will hurt and he will not be in a huge reach disadvantage or you are a fucking idiot.

:lol

Jeez dude. Kyle doesn't stand up..."reach" shouldn't even be discussed...he doesn't punch or kick from a standing position because he doesn't STAND!! Hello!!! :lmao

His only offense will be his wrestling and whatever GnP he has.

He's not fighting UFC fighter Ryan Jensen...why is that picture being shown??

desflood
04-07-2009, 09:21 AM
It's laughable that you two are taking this seriously enough to argue over it.

LEONARD
04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
It's laughable that people are talking about his "reach" and not meaning it in a joking manner...

dbreiden83080
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
What I don't get is the weight class...the guy he's fighting either has to be a midget, otherwise Kyle is going to be outweighed...

I'm sure your right, which is the only reason he'll likely come out of this thing fine. He'll probably win, against some little person with no experience..

cornbread
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Maynard, a congenital amputee with no elbows or knees, burst onto the national scene when he graduated from Collins Hill High School in Suwanee, GA with a wrestling record of 35-16 in his senior season and a 3.7 GPA.

What they didn't mention is that his record in his first year was something like 0-35 and he came back for more the next year. That says a lot about his character as an athlete. I have nothing but respect for this guy.

oligarchy
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I heard he cheated in College to get a good GPA. They compared handwriting.

djohn14
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
More power to him...but I still dont see how this will end good.

dbreiden83080
04-08-2009, 01:10 AM
More power to him...but I still dont see how this will end good.

Like Leonard said, he is obviously fighting someone who is a little person, the weight only makes sense if that is the case. So i expect him to win, by outwrestling a really really small guy, with almost no fighting experience..

Evan
04-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Jeez dude. Kyle doesn't stand up..."reach" shouldn't even be discussed...he doesn't punch or kick from a standing position because he doesn't STAND!! Hello!!! :lmao

His only offense will be his wrestling and whatever GnP he has.

Leonard thats the point that dallaskd and I are making homeslice...this is not MMA in any form.

What we have here imo is an incredible person who will do anything to prove he is more capable than anyone thinks but who is also being taken advantage of by a promoter. This is what it comes down to.

When my fatass gets into pool this summer and swims around (while women shriek in horror at my physique)...it doesn't mean I am a Olympic swimmer.

^^^thats an extreme example but you see what I mean.

dallaskd
04-08-2009, 04:25 PM
ok props to the guy. He is a stud wrestler, but this isnt MMA, thats why this whole fight is stupid.

BlackSwordsMan
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I hope he gets KTFO

LEONARD
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Still haven't figured out WHO he is fighting...

AH: We still don't know the identity of your opponent. Are you able to make that information public yet?
KM: Not yet. We are still keeping it under wraps until the weigh-ins.

but you can watch it live for free online Sat night...
http://www.todocast.tv/satlogic/afn/

dbreiden83080
04-22-2009, 01:57 PM

AH: We still don't know the identity of your opponent. Are you able to make that information public yet?

Leonard do you see any other possibility of him fighting someone other than a little person? Like you said before, how else would the weight class work for this??

LEONARD
04-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Either that or he's out-weighed by a bunch...

Reeking more and more of publicity stunt...

Not revealing the opponent until the weigh-in? wtf...

cornbread
04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Maybe it's a blind guy.

dallaskd
04-22-2009, 06:41 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/104317/kylemaynard_medium.jpg

"You know, without going into too much of my game plan, I am never going to be an Ernesto Hoost-level kickboxer; I assure you of that. But one of the biggest misnomers I have seen is that people think I can't strike. I got arms that end right above my elbow and I have had an over 400-pound butterfly press. I assure you can strike (and) I can defend myself. As far as the grappling goes, I got my blue belt about two years ago and I'm training with a world champion, Paul Creighton, whose fought BJ Penn. So, as far as conditioning goes, I think I've got the upper hand. I'm fighting in a bigger weight class than I have ever competed in before, but I still feel pretty healthy. You know, in high school I wrestled at 103 (pounds) and this fight is going to be at 135. I have been able to put on the weight as efficiently as I could without losing too much speed and mobility. So, I feel confident. The cards are there for me to go out and have a pretty awesome performance ... I think that one of advantage I have is that I have got the ability to prepare for (his opponent) in any different situation and he really doesn't have a clue what I am going to bring to the fight."

BlackSwordsMan
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
:rollin

dbreiden83080
04-23-2009, 01:47 AM
J5R75GGUovg&feature=player_embedded

E20
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM

His opponent will be this card board cut of........................

http://www.igtproducts.com/IGTproducts/GameReview/GameRevImages/AustinPowersPoker/Austin%20Cover%20Mini_me.jpg

I got 5 on the cardboard cut out.

Evan
04-24-2009, 05:05 PM
lol ^

MaNuMaNiAc
04-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Hey Leonard, ever been in a fight?? WTF are you going on about his wrestling skills?? You can't punch or kick in wrestling, so he didn't have that problem there. In MMA, he's going to have to defend kicks, knees, punches... and all without forearms, hands, knees or shins...

How the fuck can you even think he could stand a chance against an able bodied professional MMA fighter is beyond me...

The only way this dude has a chance is if he gets pitted against a midget or a guy with a similat condition to his. I admire the fact that he wants to feel normal, but the fact of the matter is, he is not physically normal, and he is in a huge disadvantage.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Check this video out

SIK7bBIZis4

The dude seems like a remarkable person, but just check out how close the other guy had to get for KM to slap him... that's about as much reach as he's got. That's it.

I don't know... IMO if they put him up against anyone with martial arts training and limbs, he is going to get fucked.

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Hey Leonard, ever been in a fight??

I'm not sure I understand what this has to do with anything?? :lol

WTF are you going on about his wrestling skills?? You can't punch or kick in wrestling, so he didn't have that problem there. In MMA, he's going to have to defend kicks, knees, punches... and all without forearms, hands, knees or shins...

Because wrestling is THE base of MMA these days and that's what he does. None of us have seen video of him training in MMA, so who knows what he can do. My whole point throughout this thread was to STFU and let him fight if he wants to fight.

Really? You can punch, kick, and knee in MMA? And you can't in wrestling?? Thanks for that...

How the fuck can you even think he could stand a chance against an able bodied professional MMA fighter is beyond me...

This is an amateur match actually, so he's not fighting a professional fighter.

and I guess I missed where I said he stands a chance against an able bodied professional MMA fighter?? Can you copy/paste that in for me? :downspin:

My guess is he's fighting an amateur 135 lb'r with a 0-0 record.

The only way this dude has a chance is if he gets pitted against a midget or a guy with a similat condition to his.

In your opinion...

Again, you don't know if he's fighting a guy with 1 month of MMA training or a guy with a year. So just sit back, shutup, and see what happens...

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Check this video out

SIK7bBIZis4

check out how close the other guy had to get for KM to slap him... that's about as much reach as he's got. That's it.

Again, reach is a non-factor...he won't be throwing ANY standing strikes. Any strikes he throws will be on the ground, while on top of the other guy...

Evan
04-25-2009, 11:32 AM
This is not MMA

That is all

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20090424081344_KyleMaynard2.JPG
http://www.undisputedproductions.com/images/fight_posters/next-poster.jpg

I thought bully beatdown was a disgrace to mma

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Ok, so he's fighting an able-bodied 135 lb'r...Brian Fry (not sure about experience...probably very little). Remember...amateurs.

1. Fry probably won't be allowed to kick him because he'll technically always be "downed."

2. The only sub he can attempt is a RNC, but that'll be tough since he can't control him with his hooks (seriously).

3. Maynard clearly can't pull off a sub himself.

4. Maynard will chase and Fry will try to keep him off of him (while throwing punches).

5. It'll probably end up on the ground and whoever can GnP the other will win.

Talk about a no-win situation for Fry...

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 01:15 PM
how will maynard stop this guy from choking him? all he has do is go around him and choke him

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
go around him and choke him?? What do you mean?

I think you're underestimating how hard it is to control Maynard on the ground...he doesn't have limbs that his opponent can use to help control him...and he's strong as hell.

Evan
04-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Ok, so he's fighting an able-bodied 135 lb'r...Brian Fry (not sure about experience...probably very little). Remember...amateurs.

1. Fry probably won't be allowed to kick him because he'll technically always be "downed."

2. The only sub he can attempt is a RNC, but that'll be tough since he can't control him with his hooks (seriously).

3. Maynard clearly can't pull off a sub himself.

4. Maynard will chase and Fry will try to keep him off of him (while throwing punches).

5. It'll probably end up on the ground and whoever can GnP the other will win.

Talk about a no-win situation for Fry...

This is not MMA

That is all

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
sherdog will be streaming this btw and i will watch it =]

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 02:45 PM
lol@ grappling veteran

LEONARD
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
He's not a grappling veteran???

desflood
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM
This is not MMA
This.

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
anyone got a stream to this shit

BlackSwordsMan
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM
lol@ this going to a decision
jesus christ frye is garbage

Evan
04-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Massive props to the kid for doing everything possible to over achieve but the fact remains he is being used by a promoter here. Having an amputee in his first fight as the main event all over posters? C'mon lets be realistic here and look at what really happened...putting him on the card is fine...no problem...but having him as a poster boy reeks of Jerry Springer like attention tactics to slumdrag attention to a money making event.

And thats not Kyle's fault of course...I am sure he would have been fine as the lowest man on the card...in fact I am sure he would have preferred it...he is by no means an attention whore from what I have read of him.

I think you can support Kyle for doing this while being heavily critical of how this was played out.

Evan
04-25-2009, 11:49 PM
lol@ this going to a decision
jesus christ frye is garbage

Frye fought tonight? I had no idea... I remember about a year ago him bitching about the UFC not giving him a contract.

BlackSwordsMan
04-26-2009, 11:14 AM
yeah he's 1-2 now with this win

BlackSwordsMan
04-26-2009, 11:16 AM
bryan fry dunno if he was on tuf

Evan
04-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Oh I thought you meant don frye for some reason

E20
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I'd run or walk circles around the guy and just get behind him and power bomb or tombstone his ass.

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Not being able to strike with his arms really made this pointless. Even if he had gotten him to the ground what was he going to do?

Makes more sense after reading this...

Fry -- whose mother cares for mentally and physically handicapped patients and whose son suffers from sickle cell anemia -- claimed he accepted the fight with Maynard in good faith to help the Georgian show others afflicted with disability that dreams are reachable.

“It was important for me to come down here,” said Fry, who won for the first time in three amateur appearances. “If my son sees this guy get in the ring, it lets him know.”

“I was pretty damned amazed,” he said. “I didn’t expect him to be that quick. He’s got bigger balls than a lot of the guys I know.”

I'd run or walk circles around the guy and just get behind him and power bomb or tombstone his ass.

Um, yea...moron...

E20
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Um, yea...moron...

true story i would beat teh fuck out of that guy with no arms and legs. if you don't agree then lol

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
true story i would beat teh fuck out of that guy with no arms and legs. if you don't agree then lol

"get behind him and power bomb or tombstone his ass"

you = fucktard

dbreiden83080
04-26-2009, 07:34 PM

A Steve Urkel Avvy followed by a "Stallone is hella awesome", i don't get it...

E20
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
A Steve Urkel Avvy followed by a "Stallone is hella awesome", i don't get it...
Yeah I know i've used a lot of stallone avatars and i can't find any new ones so i'm using the urkman until i can find a new one.

"get behind him and power bomb or tombstone his ass"

you = fucktard

yeah bro i'm obviously quicker than this disabled. i'd just hop over him and pick his 100 pound ass up and abuse him. not that i would abuse a disabled or anything, but that's the reality i can kick this dudes ass and he wants to fight mma. he's gonna lose.

LEONARD
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Of course...Fry should've had that in his gameplan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvwgL0GiWI

Exactly as expected since Kyle couldn't get it to the ground...pretty pointless, but still cool that he did something that few get to do...

Evan
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
yay sports!

dbreiden83080
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Evan's right about that promoter taking advantage of him but Big Props to Kyle for getting in there and giving this a go. He has my respect.. :toast

Evan
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I just watched this....

I am creeped out...sorry but it was disturbing. I am not sure why this fight happened and this was one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen on the internet.

http://www.fightlinker.com/?p=6049

I am all for handicapped people achieving higher goals but............ugh............can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea....

desflood
04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Ever seen that old movie Freaks?

Evan
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM

no ma'am

polandprzem
04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I didn't like it as well

For a reason there are Olypics and Paraolympics

And I don't get people cheering

desflood
04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
no ma'am
Get it, watch the ending, and compare.

Edit: Never mind. Found it.

sALWUsvL4X4

A lot of people are going to call me horrible and insensitive for this, but it doesn't change anything. He's an extraordinary guy with all the promise in the world, but he shouldn't be allowed to fight in mma.

LEONARD
04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
According to David Oblas -- the man who promoted the Auburn Fight Night show in which Maynard competed on Saturday at the Auburn Covered Arena in Auburn, Ala. -- the congenital amputee’s main event bout with Bryan Fry drew roughly 100 buys at $14.95 apiece at www.KyleMaynardFight.com.

“It wasn’t many,” Oblas said. “The pay-per-view was more about people wanting to see it than actually making money. Because we didn’t have Internet access, I had to bring in a satellite truck. It was kind of a pain to do it all. We expected a couple thousand [buys]; we were shocked it only drew about 100.”

Evan
04-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I gotcha Dessy...

When did that come out? Reminds me of that HBO series Carnivale

Evan
04-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Christ that was a freaky youtube clip...

you win Desflood

*shudders*

polandprzem
04-29-2009, 04:51 AM
sALWUsvL4X4

that's not mma

desflood
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I gotcha Dessy...

When did that come out? Reminds me of that HBO series Carnivale
That movie came out in... I wanna say 1932.

It was hugely controversial and banned in several countries because back then "freaks" weren't allowed to be part of society at all. They were generally locked away at birth or sold or given to the circus and never mentioned again. Kyle's whole life shows how much better as a society we handle these things now. Rather it did, until some greedy promoter decided to once again put on a sideshow starring a "freak" (not a word I would ever use to describe anyone) to entertain the masses.

Evan
04-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Just snagged it on netflix

desflood
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Netflix is great. I've got Midnight Meat Train sitting here waiting to be watched.

cornbread
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM

"We accept her, one of us! Giggle Gaggle Giggle Gaggle!"

Most bizarre scene ever.

Evan
04-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Netflix is great. I've got Midnight Meat Train sitting here waiting to be watched.

didn't y'all give up cable for a bit?

If so this will help with sorting the "watch now" movies on NF which are poorly organized.

http://instantwatcher.com/

I use that site 3 times a week for my Roku player. www.roku.com

desflood
04-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey, that's cool. Thank you.

Still no cable. Actually, it's good. The younger son has learned how to read and the older is now bringing home all-A report cards. I spend way too much time on the computer instead of in front of the tv, but otherwise the effects on the family have been positive :lol

Evan
04-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey, that's cool. Thank you.

Still no cable. Actually, it's good. The younger son has learned how to read and the older is now bringing home all-A report cards. I spend way too much time on the computer instead in front of the tv, but otherwise the effects on the family have been positive :lol

If it weren't for sports I could go without cable in a heartbeat.

Between my PS3 and Netflix I just rarely watch TV.

Discovery/History channel
Daily Show
TUF
Sports

and thats it now that Battle Star Galactica and Terminator Sarah Conner chronicles is over.

Evan
05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
....... the fact remains he is being used by a promoter here.

"I had never really gotten hit before [in training]." - Congenital amputee Kyle Maynard.

dbreiden83080
05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
"I had never really gotten hit before [in training]." - Congenital amputee Kyle Maynard.

Kind of an important part of MMA there Kyle..

Evan
05-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Kind of an important part of MMA there Kyle..

Whoever trains/manages him is highly irresponsible and the f*cking promoter should know better but hey...there is money to be made I guess.

Kyle would probably tight rope across two towers to prove he is able bodied but going into a cage to get the sh*t kicked out of you without having a clue what its like is stupid and irresponsible to other handicapped people who look up to him.

dbreiden83080
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Whoever trains/manages him is highly irresponsible and the f*cking promoter should know better but hey...there is money to be made I guess.

Kyle would probably tight rope across two towers to prove he is able bodied but going into a cage to get the sh*t kicked out of you without having a clue what its like is stupid and irresponsible to other handicapped people who look up to him.

Very well said Evan. He needs, someone around that has the power to tell him "Look your a great guy and people respect the hell out of you, for so many reasons but this can only end badly.. It's enough" I just hope he listens..

Heath Ledger
05-04-2009, 12:20 AM
If they wanted to sell a ton of tickets they should have matched Maynard up with Mini Me. Now that would make for an awesome fight.

whottt
05-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Evan and drbeiden...have you guys ever thought of trying out for governmental positions in China, Russia or Cuba? I mean since ya'll know what's best for every one and what they should or should not be able to do?

Funny thing is..ya'll are sitting here talking this shit, ya'll probably would have gotten your asses kicked worse than he did.

Dude wants to fight, he should be allowed to do so....if he gets his ass kicked he gets his ass kicked, he won't be the first, and he probably won't even be the worst.

I see absolutely no problem with this guy pursuing this dream..I have a problem with ya'll telling him he shouldn't be able to do it...

What's you guys wrestling record anyway, I'm assuming ya'll were undefeated, or close to it.

Soo fucking smart.

Evan
05-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Evan and drbeiden...have you guys ever thought of trying out for governmental positions in China, Russia or Cuba? I mean since ya'll know what's best for every one and what they should or should not be able to do?

Funny thing is..ya'll are sitting here talking this shit, ya'll probably would have gotten your asses kicked worse than he did.

Dude wants to fight, he should be allowed to do so....if he gets his ass kicked he gets his ass kicked, he won't be the first, and he probably won't even be the worst.

I see absolutely no problem with this guy pursuing this dream..I have a problem with ya'll telling him he shouldn't be able to do it...

What's you guys wrestling record anyway, I'm assuming ya'll were undefeated, or close to it.

Soo fucking smart.

way to miss context and the points that were made....

go back and read the thread again and not just the ending that you misinterpreted.

LEONARD
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Soo fucking smart.

desflood
05-05-2009, 12:42 PM
:wrongf

dbreiden83080
05-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Soo fucking smart.

way to miss context and the points that were made....

go back and read the thread again and not just the ending that you misinterpreted.

What Evan Said..

whottt
05-07-2009, 12:43 AM
I did read ya'lls comments, from the beginning of thread and throughout, and I am lesser for having done so. drbeiden probably did not deserve the brunt of my callout....Evan OTOH, has been the champion asshat from viritually the first page of this thread. Misinterpreted indeed.

My question, do you guys really think people didn't have a similar attitude when he was going to start wrestling? You know...about what he can't do, because he has no hands or feet. Do you really think everyone was saying, sure he can do that, no problems. I mean it's only a sport known at times as grappling, which is grabbing another person with your hands, of which he has none. It's only a sport that pretty much demands body contact like few others.

Don't you think this guy has heard the exact same sort of sentiment from people his entire life, and in fact, seems to live to prove the ignorance in such judgements?

What is you guys wrestling record anyway? Or your MMA record. I must have missed that time ya'll got in the ring.

Do you really think he shares your opinion of what he can or cannot do? I mean obviously he doesn't, and he's the guy without the arms and legs, not you.

Why not direct your bigotry at it's true target, him, and not at the promoter, all the while attempting to hide your closemindeness. It's more honest that way at least.

And you know what Evan? You maybe should not judge what fat people can or cannot do either, I mean being overweight doesn't make you any smarter or anything. There was a dude that was like 5'10, was about 280lbs of pure lard....he ran a triathalon, finished pretty well in it too.

Way I see it, Maynard could very easily turn what seems to be an affliction into an advantage. He maybe just needs a little time to figure it out. Then again, he might get his ass kicked into the dirt and have to quit fighting altogether, which is a similar end for I'm sure dozens of fighters, with hands and feet.

Nature creates variations, differences, things that at times may seem like a deformity, but you never know when the environment will change, when the conditions for survival qill change, and turn that "disability" to an advantage.

There was once a pitcher named Mordecai Three Finger Brown...fanstastic pitcher...his right hand had been mutilated, twice. He ended up with the 3rd best career ERA in baseball history.

Imagine that, a pitcher with only 3 fingers.

IOW, you're only fooling yourselves and perhaps those others also inclined to fool themselves.

Do you guys think ya'll could take him in wrestling?

desflood
05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Imagine that, a pitcher with only 3 fingers.
That's not much of a comparison. You can throw a baseball well with three fingers. Without fully formed arms or legs you can't punch, kick, elbow or knee, all very important weapons for a fighter. It would make it extremely difficult to lock in a submission or even grab for a takedown. He'll have the advantage in wrestling (unless he's fighting another wrestler), but if he can't get the other fighter there it leaves him in a position to take unmitigated damage while unable to properly defend himself. That is precisely why state comissions regulate mma; to prevent any fighter from putting him/herself into an overly dangerous situation.

Evan
05-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I did read ya'lls comments, from the beginning of thread and throughout, and I am lesser for having done so. drbeiden probably did not deserve the brunt of my callout....Evan OTOH, has been the champion asshat from viritually the first page of this thread. Misinterpreted indeed.

awesome

In summary...

My main points are

This is not mma in any form. this is true

He is being used by a promoter. this is true

Never getting hit going into a fight is a bad idea and irresponsible. this is true

I clearly said this should have been a grappling/jiu-jitsu exhibition, simply not promoted as mma.

Kyle is not doing anything wrong, the people around him are.

^^^ so there we go.

desflood
05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I have to hand it to whottt. He's the first troll we've ever had in here that presents some kind of reasonably intelligent-sounding thought process, as opposed to the typical 14-year-old asshat flaming that trolling usually consists of.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I have to hand it to whottt. He's the first troll we've ever had in here that presents some kind of reasonably intelligent-sounding thought process, as opposed to the typical 14-year-old asshat flaming that trolling usually consists of.

To be fair Des, i think most of the vet posting trolls we've had, are Leonard's enemies, he's made along the way.. :lol

Evan
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM

he seriously lacks reading comprehension skills tho.