03-31-2009, 07:04 PM
retarded :pctoss :headbang

Mason to the bench

jcrod
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Why is that retarded?

Dex
03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
A) Starting Ginobili is not the best way to manage his minutes.
B) Mason doesn't provide the same punch to the second unit that Ginobili does.
C) It only further prolongs the Ginobili To The Bench legacy.
D) He'll be back to the bench by the middle of the first round.
E) All of the above.

Choose wisely.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Mason can bring off the bench--props to Pop for starting Manu at least for tonight.

crc21209
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
And so the flip-flopping of starting or 6th man begins....

bigdog
03-31-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't like the move, because Mason will not bring as much firepower to the 2nd unit as Manu does. Although, maybe now Pop will actually let Hill be a PG once the 2nd unit comes in. It all depends on how Pop manages Manu's minutes. This could just be a lateral move.

MaNu4Tres
03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
We needed to change something.

Bukefal
03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
agree, not the best option, but pop probably wants to try out things to see, which works out the best for upcoming games.

LoneStarState'sPride
03-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Pop's just getting a feel for what Manu will be able to give him as a starter. He should at least be able to make okc work harder right out the gate. Most likely he'll go right back to the bench, but trying things out against an opponent like okc isn't a bad idea.

igruex
03-31-2009, 07:15 PM
A) Starting Ginobili is not the best way to manage his minutes.
B) Mason doesn't provide the same punch to the second unit that Ginobili does.
C) It only further prolongs the Ginobili To The Bench legacy.
D) He'll be back to the bench by the middle of the first round.
E) All of the above.

Choose wisely.

A) In the NBA you get into game shape playing. There's no time to gain that in any other way. That's the way it is.
B) @ OKH. Won't be a problem.
C, D, E) Of course he'll be back to the bench.

crc21209
03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Pop's just getting a feel for what Manu will be able to give him as a starter. He should at least be able to make okc work harder right out the gate.

Agreed. Maybe he wants the Spurs to come out guns blazin' and leave OKC in the dust so we get a big lead early and be able to rest the big 3 at least the whole 4th qtr.

TheDarkSide.
03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Agreed. Maybe he wants the Spurs to come out guns blazin' and leave OKC in the dust so we get a big lead early and be able to rest the big 3 at least the whole 4th qtr.

oh no deja vu! we all know how that ended.

crc21209
03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
oh no deja vu! we all know how that ended.

This time we're at home, and we have Manu. And I'm sure the Spurs remember that slip-up. :ihit

anjlbitz
03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Seems like TP got benched

timvp
03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Pop's mission to destroy Mason's confidence takes another dramatic turn. Why not just tar and feather him at center court during halftime?

jcrod
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Pop's mission to destroy Mason's confidence takes another dramatic turn. Why not just tar and feather him at center court during halftime?

Well I guess we'll see what he's made of. Hopefully lights a fire on his ass.

loveforthegame
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM
I guess Pop wants to see if Mason can provide the same spark that Ginobli does off the bench.

timvp
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I guess Pop wants to see if Mason can provide the same spark that Ginobli does off the bench.I think we already got that answer over the last month. Mason running the second unit without Ginobili has been an utter disaster.

If Pop isn't going to pair Ginobili and Mason on the bench unit, Pop better be ready to give Hill the keys to the offense.

Spurminator
03-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Who says he has to run it without Ginobili? If you switch Manu and Mason in the rotation, you have Manu going to the bench early and coming back when Tony goes out.

OR, maybe Manu is the new backup PG?

jason1301
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I like this move, Manu needs those extra minutes to get in shape! Do not forget how good Mason and Hill were at he beginning of the season when both Manu and Tony were out. It is worth a try, don't fall in love with the idea of Manu, Gooden coming of the bench.

First unit the big3
Second unit Hill, Mason, Gooden

it could work, and if it doesn't you still have Manu back in shape.

timvp
03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Who says he has to run it without Ginobili? If you switch Manu and Mason in the rotation, you have Manu going to the bench early and coming back when Tony goes out.True. I guess we'll find out. Usually Parker goes out with three or so minutes left in the first quarter and Ginobili doesn't return to the game until around ten minutes to go in the second but perhaps Pop has something else in mind.

Maybe Manu is the new backup PG?I wouldn't want to see that right now because that's a waste of Manu's energy. Pop could have also made that switch without moving Manu into the starting lineup.

We'll see. I'd like to see Hill get another chance but that doesn't appear to be in the cards. Of course Manu couldn't have bumped Finley to the bench :rolleyes

anonoftheinternets
03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
big three: parker, ginobili, duncan
little three: hill, mason, gooden
old three: Vaughn/udoka, finley/bowen, thomas/fab

Spurs Brazil
03-31-2009, 07:34 PM
If Pop isn't going to pair Ginobili and Mason on the bench unit, Pop better be ready to give Hill the keys to the offense.

That's my hope

Obstructed_View
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
If Mason is still bringing the ball up and/or running the offense when he's on the floor, this is just deck chairs on the Titanic, folks.

Ed Helicopter Jones
03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Not a good decision.

ducks
03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
retarded :pctoss :headbang

Mason to the bench

wow he disagrees with a spurs move

Borosai
03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
It's not like the Spurs swap out the starting 5 for the next 5 on the depth chart. There really is no 2nd unit: you start with your best 5, you end with your best 5, and in between you mix and match as needed.

The Spurs need to start games better, and having Manu in there should help. Pop needs to utilize Mason as a SG, which is what he is. Asking him to play PG is what's messing him up.

Capt Bringdown
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM

Exactly. Mason has single-handedly won how many games for us this year? And this is how he gets respected by the coach?

I'm afraid Pop has lost it. Sad to say PJ's comment about the "simulator crew" is pretty accurate at the moment. Looking at Pop's moves recently, it's hard to comprehend how they make any kind of basketball sense.

ducks
03-31-2009, 08:37 PM
manu single-handedly won more games for the spurs during all this years,and was a big part of the 05- and 07 championships(in my opinion the 2005 finals mvp),and he went to the bench and never complained about it.
Your logic makes no sense in mason's case, seriusly.
Just think about it.

it is called what have you done lately
manu has not singly won a game this year yet

urunobili
03-31-2009, 08:39 PM

mmm vs the lakers first game and the hornets first game? :bang

who ended up playing back up point?

ElNono
03-31-2009, 08:40 PM

1QiR0t7rw7g

Lady M
03-31-2009, 08:44 PM
just a disaster like Pop coaching tonight

Capt Bringdown
03-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Manu single-handedly won more games for the spurs during all this years,and was a big part of the 05- and 07 championships(in my opinion the 2005 finals MVP),and he went to the bench and never complained about it.
Your logic makes no sense in Mason's case, seriusly.
Just think about it.

I think you're living in the past. You're right however, that Manu is comfortable with coming off the bench. Mason may not be. Pretty risky move to mess with a player's confidence and team chemistry at this stage in the season.

urunobili
03-31-2009, 09:34 PM
NO bowen? NO Hill? i dont i'll even care to watch the playoffs...

rascal
03-31-2009, 09:37 PM
I think we already got that answer over the last month. Mason running the second unit without Ginobili has been an utter disaster.

Pop has already destroyed Hill's confidence for this year. I don't expect much from Hill the rest of the way.