PDA

View Full Version : Grades - Spurs vs. Thunder Mar. 31

timvp
03-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Tim Duncan C+
Stats look pretty but the Thunder weren't sending much help.

Manu Ginobili C
Inconsistent defensively and he's not letting the offense come to him.

Tony Parker D
Played with about as little energy as humanly possible.

Michael Finley D
Got destroyed defensively and shot poorly.

Matt Bonner C
Great hustle on the boards but it'd be nice if he actually pulled a couple down.

Roger Mason, Jr. C-
Pop has successful ruined his confidence.

Ime Udoka C-
Decent offensively but got abused repeatedly defensively.

Jacque Vaughn C
Good guy. Not an NBA level backup point guard at this stage of his career.

Drew Gooden C
He's trying but he's also showing some of the traits that has caused other teams to get rid of him.

Kurt Thomas B
Played pretty well ... when he eventually got into the game.

Pop F
I have no clue what is in his head right now.

-------------------

Please submit your own grades for this game. Click here (http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=oanw8gnh2jzzbu8566243) to enter your grades for Spurs vs. Thunder on Mar. 31st. I will post the cumulative SpursTalk.com grades in two hours from the time of this post.

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Pop F

An early start on retirement?

FvckMavs
03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
I won't grade players but I give an F to Pop.

Spursmania
03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I give them all C-'s except for Pop which I give an F too
and Thomas whom I give a B+ for still playing well despite everyone else.

Chomag
03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I totally gave the same grades all but Kurt (gave him a B+) He was the only bright spot of the night, and of course Pop hardly played him. I agree on everything Timvp has said here though.

Mavs<Spurs
03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
have to agree with Pop's grade and what he did to Mason. And Tony was pretty poor in his play today, too.

thanks TimVP and this must have been a thankless task.

:flag:

Chomag
03-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Now if only there was a grade lower then "F" Would pop get it?

benefactor
03-31-2009, 10:41 PM
If this is what we are to expect...then hitch me up the "we are doomed" bandwagon. I have tried to stay as positive as possible, but when the coach does not even give the team a chance to win then what is the point.

I never wish injury on a player...but tonight I was almost wishing Finley would get hurt...just bad enough to finish him off for the playoffs.

Pop has successful ruined his confidence.
This is become less and less a theory and more and more a fact.

Mugen
pretty spot on timvp.

but i think you were too harsh on gooden.

he got some pretty dumb fouls but i felt his D was passable and hes shown that he can play with manu well.'

i absolutely hate the move of starting manu and benching mase.

pop shot and murdered his confidence, and then raped it.

DPG21920
Good news is the next game is not until Friday, so hopefully these lazy asses can practice.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 10:42 PM
WTF, Finley has hit two of the biggest shots at the end of these past two games. Very fair trying to have him guard Durant. GTFO

lefty
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I won't grade players but I give an F to Pop.

Unless...unless....

Pop is going CIA, and playing playoff-ready lineups we don't know about in practice.

ElNono
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
I thought TD deserved a B- and so did Manu. At least they tried to lead the charge at different times to try to win this game. I gave Kurt Thomas an A-, he was the sole bright spot on the team... the rest got between D and D-, except for Pop that took a big fat F.

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 10:44 PM
WTF, Finley has hit two of the biggest shots at the end of these past two games. Very fair trying to have him guard Durant. GTFO

Nice to see him hit shots after he was one of the main reasons they got put in a hole the last 2 games...

Mavs<Spurs
03-31-2009, 10:46 PM
The Instant Analysis should be interesting.

I normally look forward to it.

This will just be medicine to help me digest the truth.

Chomag
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Pop has killed the whole Team's chemistry, and has them playing totally out of sync.

However Hill, Bowen, and Mason he has just plain murdered.

Spursmania
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Good news is the next game is not until Friday, so hopefully these lazy asses can practice.

Boy do they need the practice.

timaios
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
I can't give grades to the players of that team because Pop is killing that team.
Ginobili had a good game, but with him in the starting line-up Parker never found rhythm in offense.
Finley vs Durant was a great idea. Finley vs Durant... Finley vs Durant... Finley vs Durant... I mean fuck fuck fuck fuck......
No Bowen.
No KT in 1st half.
No Hill... but Vaughn !!!
And what is Pop doing with Gooden ?????????

In march, Pop is the worst coach of the league !
Pop is totally out of control.
And i think the Spurs players have absolutely no clue what is going on in his mind.

Pop is killing the chemistry of the team.

I am so fucking mad at him.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice to see him hit shots after he was one of the main reasons they got put in a hole the last 2 games...

Ya, it was Finley. He hit 40% of his 3's (the last one giving the Spurs a chance to win) had 5 boards, 4 assists and Pop set him up to fail by having him guard Durant.

You want him to go Dinosaur arms like Mason?

benefactor
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Where is Bowen's grade? Oh yeah...he didn't play.
:smchode:

itzsoweezee
03-31-2009, 10:50 PM
thunder weren't sending much help? duncan was getting double and triple teamed all game.

mexicanjunior
Pop set him up to fail by having him guard Durant.

Pop set him up to fail by playing him at all. Do you really think he should be playing ahead of Bowen at this point?

Mavs<Spurs
Pop has killed the whole Team's chemistry, and has them playing totally out of sync.

However Hill, Bowen, and Mason he has just plain murdered.

+ 1

But Finely and Bonner are playing tons of minutes.

And even JV and Udoka are getting some run.

:downspin:

lefty
Do you think we can beat these guys ?

http://www.hirethings.co.nz/photo/image/2843/large/lt4612.jpg

tony09manu
03-31-2009, 10:51 PM
I love Pop, but lately he is acting dumb...

I gave him an F.

Spursmania
Where is Bowen's grade? Oh yeah...he didn't play.
:smchode:

I just can't get over that.

Mavs<Spurs
Ya, it was Finley. He hit 40% of his 3's (the last one giving the Spurs a chance to win) had 5 boards, 4 assists and Pop set him up to fail by having him guard Durant.

He took 15 shots. He made 5 of them.

That's about 33%.

That's not efficient offense.

It's not good.

:nope

tomtom
03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
one of the top 5 most difficult games to watch this season

Mavs<Spurs
03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
I just can't get over that.

Perhaps he would have done better against Durant.

But we'll never know since Pop never game him the chance.

Chomag
03-31-2009, 10:53 PM
I can't give grades to the players of that team because Pop is killing that team.
Ginobili had a good game, but with him in the starting line-up Parker never found rhythm in offense.
Finley vs Durant was a great idea. Finley vs Durant... Finley vs Durant... Finley vs Durant... I mean fuck fuck fuck fuck......
No Bowen.
No KT in 1st half.
No Hill... but Vaughn !!!
And what is Pop doing with Gooden ?????????

In march, Pop is the worst coach of the league !
Pop is totally out of control.
And i think the Spurs players have absolutely no clue what is going on in his mind.

Pop is killing the chemistry of the team.

I am so fucking mad at him.

:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Man, I don't know about you but what is making more mad then anything is how good our team really is but how poorly they are playing. I can't help but see most of the blame being warranted toward POP.

benefactor
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

He would probably take a lot less heat if Pop would use a little more objectivity regarding him. One could easily make the case that Pop is just as much to blame.
And here we are....

Mugen
03-31-2009, 10:56 PM
im pissed that pop didnt play bowen but i thought ime did an okay job on durant after he got switched on him.

its not fins fault he sucks at D and cant guard Durant.

im more pissed at starting manu, what pop has done to mase, goodens lack of playing time in the 2nd half, and vaughn over hill.

Mavs<Spurs
03-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Man, I don't know about you but what is making more mad then anything is how good our team really is but how poorly they are playing. I can't help but see most of the blame being warranted toward POP.

It should be a better team, but it's not. Just because you have a good team composition in terms of the players does not mean that you have a good team.

Playing them at the right positions and the right teams, with the right matchups and with the right lineups and calling timeouts is important. And not killing the confidence of your players is also important.

And this can't be turned on and off.

Dex
03-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Quite possibly the dumbest lineups I've seen trotted out all season. And that's a pretty large fuckin' statement, if you know what I mean.

Starting Ginobili?
12 minute 1st quarter for Tim, while resting Tony and Manu extensively?
No Bowen?
No Hill?
No Fab?
No Kurt Thomas until the 4th?
Duncan sits more than half the fourth quarter? (Maybe he was gassed for some reason)
No timeout at the end?

And throughout all that, we somehow have a chance to win, and put it all on the line on a leaning 19-footer from Brickhouse Finley?

Well earned F by Pop. I started to question if he was actually fucking with the team at points.

Mavs<Spurs
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Quite possibly the dumbest lineups I've seen trotted out all season. And that's a pretty large fuckin' statement, if you know what I mean.

Well earned F by Pop. I started to question if he was actually fucking with the team at points.

At least here the truth is making an appearance.

Part of the reality based community, I see.

We're a large and growing community, it appears.

:toast

mytespurs
Spurs lost another game they should've won?? Why am I not surprised? :bang:nope

benefactor
I can usually sleep losses off...but I have a feeling this one is gonna have a hangover.

ElNono

He was 5-16 overall this game (31%)... and only Duncan and Parker (barely) played more minutes than him...
I do agree that Pop set him up, but why reward him with more and more minutes when he's giving up more than what he can produce at the other end?

Mavs<Spurs
03-31-2009, 11:02 PM
He was 5-16 overall this game (31%)... and only Duncan and Parker (barely) played more minutes than him...
I do agree that Pop set him up, but why reward him with more and more minutes when he's giving up more than what he can produce at the other end?

He also took more shots than Timmy or Tony. Almost as many as both of them combined.

Tim was quite efficient and Tony while not up to his normally standards beat Finely's play by a country mile in terms of shooting.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:02 PM

I said he hit 40% of his 3's, not shot 40% for the game. He hit a timely 3 and got good looks. If everyone else hit their 3's like Fin there would be no problem.

Don't bring up his defense, it was piss poor from everyone and asking him to guard Durant, a guy averaging 26 points per game, that is silky, smooth, athletic and long is just asking for trouble. It is not like Finley was not trying, he was just over matched.

lefty
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.demotivationalpics.com/diy/demotiv_pic_4651-Finsucks.jpg

superbigtime
I have no idea what Pop is doing with this team. Spurs look befuddled and flat. I give JV a D.

Mavs<Spurs
Did I mention how humiliating it is that the worst team in the league, the OKC Thunder (well, the second worst anyways) owns us in our own gym, apparently.

:rolleyes

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Also, Pop cornered Finley into the game. If he would have played Bowen at the beginning, Finley would not have had to play so much. But since the Spurs were trailing by so much you have to go with offense. Then Finley rewarded him by hitting that 3.

I am not saying Finley was amazing, but you cannot blame him for shooting when he is wide open, hitting 40% of his 3's including a big one at the end, and having to guard Durant.

ElNono
03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
I said he hit 40% of his 3's, not shot 40% for the game. He hit a timely 3 and got good looks. If everyone else hit their 3's like Fin there would be no problem.

Don't bring up his defense, it was piss poor from everyone and asking him to guard Durant, a guy averaging 26 points per game, that is silky, smooth, athletic and long is just asking for trouble. It is not like Finley was not trying, he was just over matched.

You could at least *try* playing Bowen a bit and see how he does on Durant. 10 freaking minutes. Bruce will shoot about the same clip as Finley lately, and we don't have to complain how overmatched Finley was.

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
I said he hit 40% of his 3's, not shot 40% for the game.

So bricking everything inside the 3 pt line is ok, especially with Durant going for 31 against him? It would be nice to toss his defensive performance aside as being bad coaching but he can't be subbed out every time the Spurs don't have the ball. Finley was as much to blame for the last 2 losses as anyone on this team, regardless of him making a couple of 3's at the end of the games to make them look respectable.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:07 PM
You could at least *try* playing Bowen a bit and see how he does on Durant. 10 freaking minutes. Bruce will shoot about the same clip as Finley lately, and we don't have to complain how overmatched Finley was.

I agree, but as I already explained, Pop kept digging a hole, because the more the Spurs got down, the more offense you need. And to say Bowen could score at the same clip as Finley, who has played very well overall and carried our offense in stretches is silly, especially bc he has not been in games lately and not shooting.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
So bricking everything inside the 3 pt line is ok, especially with Durant going for 31 against him? It would be nice to toss his defensive performance aside as being bad coaching but he can't be subbed out every time the Spurs don't have the ball. Finley was as much to blame for the last 2 losses as anyone on this team, regardless of him making a couple of 3's at the end of the games to make the games look respectable.

No one was saying this the first time the Spurs played OKC where Finley did a good job on him.

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 11:10 PM
No one was saying this the first time the Spurs played OKC where Finley did a good job on him.

Well it is easy to say it now, that is for sure...

Don Quixote
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Hopefully this will put to bed any notions of the Spurs being championship contenders.

They're not. Not even close.

peskypesky
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Pop F

Cabernet?

Budkin
03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
F for Pop! Yikes!

ElNono
03-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I agree, but as I already explained, Pop kept digging a hole, because the more the Spurs got down, the more offense you need. And to say Bowen could score at the same clip as Finley, who has played very well overall and carried our offense in stretches is silly, especially bc he has not been in games lately and not shooting.

Bullshit. We were down 'only' 6 at the half and Durant has been abusing Finley the entire 2nd quarter. Who does Pop puts on Durant in the 3rd? Finley...
I called it on the game thread...
Pop just has this man love for Finley, and it's at times very hard to watch...

HarlemHeat37
03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
I respectfully disagree with some of these grades..

Duncan played a good game..he was receiving a lot of double teams, so I don't know where that came from..I actually thought Duncan needed the ball more, he was moving well and was feeling good with his shot..B

Tony was horrible..I was waiting for him to take over, but he couldn't even get by Chucky Atkins..it seemed like he wasn't interested at all..I'm giving him this grade for his D though..he was completely abused by Westbrook, which killed our whole D...F

Manu was pretty good..his D needed work, but I thought he played a good game, other than some ill-advised shots, which is always expected from Manu...B-

Finley wasn't good..he got a lot of open looks, and should have made more of them..his D was horrible, even though it was against a great player..like others in this thread have said, Pop deserves more blame than Finley...C

Matt Bonner was Matt Bonner of the 2nd half of the season..he shouldn't be starting..I like his effort on both sides, but he can't produce there from a physical standpoint..he should be an offensive spark off the bench...C

Jacque Vaughn was horrible..I expect way more out of a veteran..2 of the fouls he committed were absolutely ridiculous..missed open Js, as usual..F

Mason was horrible as well..his shot selection was very poor, and when he had good shots, he just wasn't making them..D

Ime was Ime..C+

Drew Gooden played well IMO..he played with a lot of energy, and his D was better than a lot of our other guys tonight..he needs more minutes in the 2nd half of games..B-

Kurt Thomas was very good, as usual..no idea why he came in so late..B

I can't give Pop an F, because I feel like that would be too generous..

benefactor
03-31-2009, 11:18 PM
We need a photo shopped bride and groom pic of Pop and Finley. It has really gone that far IMO.

SouthTexasRancher
03-31-2009, 11:21 PM
A Big F for Pop

A little D- for the team.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Bullshit. We were down 'only' 6 at the half and Durant has been abusing Finley the entire 2nd quarter. Who does Pop puts on Durant in the 3rd? Finley...
I called it on the game thread...
Pop just has this man love for Finley, and it's at times very hard to watch...

How is it bullshit? This is Pops fault, not Finleys.

baseline bum
03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
Michael Finley D
Got destroyed defensively and shot poorly.

I can't blame Finley for the defense. I know he's awful, but that's more on Pop sticking him on Kevin Durant. Maybe the only worse matchups would be Finley on Kobe (which we've also seen this season :pctoss) or LeBron. Durant being guarded by Finley is like someone shooting over his kid sister.

mexicanjunior

So it is Pop's fault Finley's playing poorly on defense and overall FG%? I guess in a perfect world, Finley could be subbed out after every offensive possession to avoid guarding anyone but basketball doesn't work like that dude. If you argument is Finley would be fine if Popovich didn't use him too much, that says alot about how much Finley actually brings to the table...

AussieFanKurt
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x266/Kurt8892/poppy-1.jpg

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
So it is Pop's fault Finley's playing poorly on defense and overall FG%? I guess in a perfect world, Finley could be subbed out after every offensive possession to avoid guarding anyone but basketball doesn't work like that dude. If you argument is Finley would be fine if Popovich didn't use him too much, that says alot about how much Finley actually brings to the table...

You just don't get it. :yield

peskypesky
03-31-2009, 11:33 PM
I can't blame Finley for the defense. I know he's awful, but that's more on Pop sticking him on Kevin Durant. Maybe the only worse matchups would be Finley on Kobe (which we've also seen this season :pctoss) or LeBron. Durant being guarded by Finley is like someone shooting over his kid sister.

exactly. finley can't cover a kid like durant. pop should have at least tried bowen and hill on him.

baseline bum
03-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Asking Finley to guard Durant is like telling a retarded 12 year-old to prove Fermat's Last Theorem.

mexicanjunior
03-31-2009, 11:37 PM

Agreed, logic doesn't seem to be sinking in with you... :yield

ElNono
03-31-2009, 11:37 PM

I never argued otherwise. That has been my point throughout.
Eventually, it's the coach's decision to keep playing guys that have not been playing well. Finley has not been playing well.

DPG21920
03-31-2009, 11:43 PM

exactly. finley can't cover a kid like durant. pop should have at least tried bowen and hill on him.

Asking Finley to guard Durant is like telling a retarded 12 year-old to prove Fermat's Last Theorem.

I never argued otherwise. That has been my point throughout.
Eventually, it's the coach's decision to keep playing guys that have not been playing well. Finley has not been playing well.

You just don't get it MJ

ploto
03-31-2009, 11:46 PM
When I heard Manu was starting, I so hoped it was for Finley but I knew it had to be for Roger.

Spooky
03-31-2009, 11:50 PM
I love Pop, but lately he is acting dumb...

I gave him an F.

+1
:flag:

mexicanjunior
04-01-2009, 12:21 AM
You just don't get it MJ

My statement all along was that Finley was a huge reason for this team being in position to lose the last 2 games, regardless of him hitting 3's to keep the games close at the end. Your defense of Finley was he was hitting his 3's at a 40% rate and shouldn't be counted on to defend anyone because Pop should know better. What is there not to get? I understand Popovich shouldn't be playing him if he is stinking up the court but that doesn't excuse Finley for doing the stinking in the first place...

DPG21920
04-01-2009, 12:27 AM
My statement all along was that Finley was a huge reason for this team being in position to lose the last 2 games, regardless of him hitting 3's to keep the games close at the end. Your defense of Finley was he was hitting his 3's at a 40% rate and shouldn't be counted on to defend anyone because Pop should know better. What is there not to get? I understand Popovich shouldn't be playing him if he is stinking up the court but that doesn't excuse Finley for doing the stinking in the first place...

You don't get what every one else does. Pop is putting Finley in a position to fail (although Finley has had a solid OVERALL season). What is Finley supposed to do? Say "Pop, do not play me"? He is doing the best with the tools he has currently and you want him to hit more than 40% of his 3's and lock down Kevin Durant? Not going to happen. But Finley is trying. So instead of having misplaced anger toward Finley, listen to what everyone is saying and turn it to Pop.

Chomag
04-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Finely was my all-time favorite player since all the way back in his PHX days. Considering his age is is a very good player. However , pop is killing him by overplaying him past his abilities at this stage in his career. He just can not be the elite, all-star NBA player that plays like MJ that Pop thinks he is.

Pop just can't seem to get it into his head that Finely is not a player in his prime anymore and should not be a starter on a playoff team ,and has no bussiness logging 30+ minutes. At age 36 How can you expect him to have gas in his tank under that much usage?

anjlbitz
04-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Is anyone is going to their next game? can someone hold up a sign that says "Pop, why Finley?"

Cant_Be_Faded
04-01-2009, 12:51 AM
Mason's three shot tonight was the ugliest I have seen all season. He went from automatic at the top and pretty good on the sides, to shooting threes that are missing wide right and wide left.

BTW those of you who say Fuck finley and shit like that are pieces of shit. It's not his fucking fault he is being used the way he is. He's not the god damn coach. You can't pit a little 95 pound chick against kobiyashi in a race to eat 100 hot dogs and call the her a fucking loser for getting out eaten (eaten out?). What did anyone expect Finley to do against Durant?

The negative energy should be channeled towards Pop. He's making me wish we had tanked for Powder.