PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Page 2 by Zeel: Spurs Win Title

usckk
03-15-2005, 09:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neel/050311

I know what time it is. I know you have to be talking tournament or keeping your mouth shut.

So, here it is: The First Annual Basketball Jones NBA Playoffology breakdown.

ON THE BUBBLE
THE EAST
Indiana -- I've had them IN all along, but their March schedule truly is madness (at Cleveland, home-and-home with the surging Nets, the Spurs, the Bulls, the Pistons and Heat). Stephen Jackson's doing some serious fiddling, but without a healthy O'Neal, he's doing it while Rome burns.

Philadelphia -- Now you kids play nice. Don't make me turn the car around. Do you want me to turn the car around? I'll do it. I'll turn the car around right now. Is that what you want?!

New Jersey -- A week ago, the Nets looked like a lock. I was telling everyone who'd listen they were a lock. Then they started shooting the ball like Barney Fife fires a pistol. 37.5 percent against the Heat? 36 percent against the Magic? 32.1 percent against the Spurs? That's enough. Straighten up and fly right, deputies. Don't make me look bad.

New York -- Where I grew up, when a guy was carrying a few more pounds than he ought to be, somebody who knew him, somebody who cared, would say, "Yo, mix in a salad, would ya?" And so it is that I say to the Knicks, "Yo, mix in a road win."

Toronto -- Sorry, not this year, not even with (forgive me, SG) the Vince Carter Effect working in their favor.

Milwaukee -- We keep hearing Michael Redd wants to stay, and we have to keep asking ourselves, why would that be exactly?

THE WEST
Denver -- How long will George Karl's be-tough/respect-the-game routine work? Ask Gary Payton. Ask Kendall Gill.

Despite another MVP-caliber season from KG (22.3/13.8/5.6), the Wolves are on the playoff bubble.

Los Angeles Lakers -- You want to know how this works, Kobe? I'm going to tell you how this works: Get Lamar the damn ball. It will flow from there. It will come back to you tenfold.

Minnesota -- I swear, ugly as they've been, the Timberwolves should just recuse themselves on principle.

THE SWEET SIXTEEN
THE EAST
Miami -- Here's the bad news: theories about his rage and motivation notwithstanding, Shaq's a little less than the player he was in L.A. last year.

Detroit -- I read in Sports Illustrated this week that Ben's hair thing (up or down) is actually his wife's call. So now what I'm wondering is, does she have a system? Does she break out the afro when she thinks he needs a little something extra? And the real question: Can she do anything about Rip's tire-track thing?

Boston -- 6-4 in their last 10, but could easily be 4-6 in their next 10.

Washington -- I know, I know, but check Kwame's rpg in the last five games.

Cleveland -- Where are all the heart-warming, triumph-of-the-will Ilgauskas stories, by the way?

Chicago -- The Bulls ought to wear the original Jordans for the first round.

Orlando -- Boldest coaching move of the season: Johnny Davis launching the Jameer Nelson experiment. Boldest step-up: Jameer making him look good for doing it.

Barney Fife -- Just one Carter-Wade game that feels like a Bird-Wilkins game, that's all I ask out of the first round.

THE WEST
San Antonio -- They're good.

Phoenix -- So much is riding on the Suns. If they make a serious run, fastbreak ball is truly back. If they flame out, we may slide back into the muck.

Seattle -- I think the Sonics are legit, but I also thought Billy Crudup was destined for stardom after "Jesus' Son," so you can't go by me.

Dallas -- Marquis Daniels is the leading candidate for this year's Rolando Blackman Award.

Without Webber, how far can Peja lead the Kings?

Sacramento -- Hello, Peja? You in there?

Houston -- Yao scares the bejeezus out of the Sonics. And he should.

Memphis -- Watch to see who Fratello puts on the floor in the late-going; will it be JWill or Earl? My money's on Earl.

The Tough Guys -- Mostly because 13 of the Lakers' next 18 games are on the road.

CINDERELLAS
Chicago's going to beat somebody in the first round. Bank on it. My record on Bulls predictions is flawless.

And how about Memphis over Phoenix in the West? If the Suns take the one-seed, the Grizz are dead (they can't handle the Spurs), but if the Suns fall to the two, the Grizzlies might have something. I said a couple weeks ago that I thought they were a tough out and nothing more, but the more I think about it, the more a first-round upset seems possible.

They've beaten the Suns twice (once when Nash was hurt and once when he wasn't). They have a decent road record. This is their second, not their first, year in the playoffs, so their guys are going to be just as experienced, and a little less amped, than anyone on the Suns' side. They go nine deep, and are doing what they're doing without Pau Gasol, so they won't get run out of the gym, they pass the ball, they have points who can penetrate and shooters who can shoot, and they play a style and pace the Suns despise. Everybody's talking about how Phoenix might match up with San Antonio in the Western Finals, but the Suns might get waylaid in Memphis long before that.

THE BIG BUST
All I'm saying is, when this playoff thing is over, that BMI stuff isn't going to be so funny down in Florida.

THE ELITE EIGHT
Miami -- Key stat: +6.2 ppg differential this season. They play some D.

Detroit -- The Bulls will handle their pressure, and handle the Pistons on the glass more or less, but there's no way they'll be able to maintain their composure when the courtside PA guy does his "Deeeeeeeeeetroit Baaaaaaaaaaaasketbaaaaaaaaall!" thing.

Cleveland -- I'm not buying this "oooh Cleveland's in trouble" talk. You know what I'm buying? The way the Cavs work the offensive glass (nobody talks about it, but they're second only to Seattle).

Chicago -- 9.1 boards a night, and I still don't think Tyson's anywhere near growing into his body yet.

San Antonio -- Here's a phrase you don't like if you're Pop: "Manu Ginobili missed Wednesday night's game because of nagging hip, groin and shoulder injuries."

Memphis -- Best hot fudge pie I've ever had was at a little joint down a few blocks from the Pyramid in Memphis. Now they play in the FedEx Center or something. Wonder what kind of pie you can get around that joint ...

Seattle -- Wouldn't it be messed up if Walter Ray and the Sonics can't come to terms? Here's one of the best stories of the year (the Sonics' resurgence), and if he walks, it's over almost before it got started.

Dallas -- I like 'em and I've said I think they have a shot, but it's a long one. Usually I think the whole "put the team on your back" thing is bunk, but in this case, if Dirk doesn't have four stone-cold stupendous games, they go home. And worse than that, even if he does, they're still a longshot.

THE FINAL FOUR
Miami -- I underestimated Udonis Haslem this year (and, by extension, both Pat Riley and Stan Van Gundy). My apologies all around.

Detroit -- By the way, I've filed for the rights to the domain name: freecarlosarroyo.com, so don't even think about it.

San Antonio -- After resting him throughout the first two rounds of the playoffs, the Spurs announce Tim Duncan will play in the conference finals.

Seattle -- If I'm wrong about the Memphis upset of Phoenix I won't be too disappointed. The Sonics and Suns would probably be the most entertaining (almost fifty 3s a game between the two teams) match-up of the playoffs.

THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP
San Antonio over Detroit -- If it goes this way, they Spurs are dueling the Patriots as the most successful franchise in professional sports, and they're doing it pretty much the same way, with team ball, selflessness, solid citizens, and a blend of superstar and complementary talent that echoes the old Knicks and Packers teams. If it goes this way, you can feel good about it.

jalbre6
03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
More Spurs related tourney reading...pretty cool.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/sioncampus/03/07/madness0310/

Too Good to Be True

Carmelo Anthony and Syracuse went head-to-head with Tony Parker-led UCLA in one of the greatest finals ever

Moments after snipping the final strand of twine from one of the nets at the Edward Jones Dome, Syracuse forward Carmelo Anthony tried to place it around his coach's neck. But Jim Boeheim had another idea. He grabbed the nylon from his star and placed it on top of his head like a mock toupee. "I spent the first 26 years of my career tearing my hair out," he told fellow baldy Billy Packer on CBS's broadcast. "Does winning these help it grow back?" Don't expect Boeheim to be sporting Robert Redford's mane anytime soon, even after the Orange's 80-79 victory over UCLA gave Syracuse its second NCAA title in the last three years. But at the very least, the coach once defined by his incessant whining seems to have undergone an attitude -- as well as a hair -- transplant.

Has the 60-year-old Boeheim mellowed in his old age? Close. "'Melo has added years to my life," he said, nodding toward his otherworldly junior forward. "I think I'll send David Stern and the boys a thank-you."

Boeheim, of course, was referring to the NBA's landmark 2001 decision to prohibit athletes less than four years out of high school from turning pro. The new rule, based on the NFL's model and adopted after years of discussion between the NBA and its players' union, meant that Boeheim never had to worry about losing Anthony to the draft after the then freshman led the Orange to the 2003 title. That brought much peace of mind to the previously prickly coach, who had come up short in two earlier trips to the championship game. In 1987 Indiana guard Keith Smart found a seam and swished a 17-footer for a 74-73 victory. Nine years later Syracuse was overwhelmed 76-67 by a Kentucky team that had perhaps the greatest collection of talent of any squad before the NBA's rule change. After that battle Wildcats coach Rick Pitino quipped, "These games are life and death to Jim. He should go to Florida, go play golf. He's going to go crazy." Rather than go crazy, Boeheim kept at it, and eventually his perseverance paid off when he outmaneuvered Maryland and North Carolina to land Anthony, who capped his freshman season as the Most Outstanding Player in the Orange's 81-78 win over Kansas. "After waiting so long for the first one," Boeheim said after defeating UCLA, "who knew we'd get another chance so soon?"

Not since Larry Bird and Magic Johnson butted heads in 1979 has a championship final been greeted with such anticipation. After getting knocked out by Alabama in the Sweet 16 last year, when Anthony was slowed by a sprained right knee, Syracuse rolled through the '04-05 season as if a return trip to the Final Four was its birthright. The three-pronged attack the Orange used in 2003 was even sharper with Anthony, forward Hakim Warrick and guard Gerry McNamara's having played three years together. However, UCLA -- which in the semifinals nipped North Carolina 89-85 in a frenzied shootout -- countered with its own triple threat of center Tyson Chandler, forward Trevor Ariza and guard Tony Parker.

In such a star-studded affair, an unlikely hero provided the final margin of victory just before the buzzer. Twenty-three seconds earlier, Syracuse senior center Craig Forth was the goat. With the score tied at 77, Forth failed to box out on an Ariza miss, and Chandler, he of the 7'1" frame and pogo-stick legs, seemingly hurdled the 7-foot Forth to slam home the putback. Chandler, who had said he was going to "take Forth behind the woodshed," seemed to have backed up his words.

At the other end Syracuse cleared out for Anthony, who after crossing over Ariza was met in the paint by Chandler. Anthony smartly slipped the ball to an open Forth, who was fouled by Dijon Thompson as he went up for a dunk. The ball teetered on the front of the rim before falling through to tie the game with 0.4 of a second on the clock. With the powder-blue-clad UCLA faithful doing everything in their power to break his concentration, Forth, a career 60% free throw shooter, appeared to wink at Chandler before banking in the winning shot.

Afterward the hero denied he was baiting Chandler. "No, no, no," Forth told Packer. "I had something in my eye." McNamara then euphorically jumped on Forth's back and tried to tussle his crew cut. "Did I hear you call glass?" teased McNamara, who finished six of nine from international waters, accounting for all 18 of his points.

The key to the victory, as usual, was Syracuse's 2-3 zone defense, the same one run in every suburban Y pickup game around the country. This time Boeheim had to do some last-minute tweaking, but eventually it stifled the Bruins' up-tempo offense. In the first half the zone appeared vulnerable as Parker hit on five of seven three-point attempts to give the Bruins a 51-41 advantage. After intermission Boeheim installed the 6'8" Warrick and his go-go-Gadget arms at the top of the key to close out on open shooters. "[Warrick's] arms are like that bunny rabbit," said the Paris-raised Parker. "They keep going and going and going." With his jumper taken away, Parker began feeding Ariza and Chandler. But inconsistent midrange shooting -- the same problem that plagued the Bruins all season and prevented them from securing a No. 1 seed -- proved to be their Achilles' heel. Over the last 12:28 the team made only four of 18 shots from inside the arc, setting up Forth's shining moment.

Syracuse's semifinal win over defending champion Connecticut was no less scintillating. The Huskies' frontline -- 6'11" Charlie Villanueva, 6'10" Josh Boone and 6'10" Emeka Okafor, dubbed "the three tallest buildings in Storrs" by Vermont coach Tom Brennan -- seemed a tall obstacle for 'Cuse to overcome. But Anthony torched the Huskies with a dazzling arsenal of twisting layups and pull-up jumpers, finishing with 38 points on 11-of-16 shooting. "Right now the only better player in college basketball is maybe that Ohio State kid [LeBron James]," said UConn coach Jim Calhoun. "I wish to God they were in the NBA."

But they are not, allowing Boeheim another celebration. Shortly after Monday's championship game the Syracuse coaches and their wives gathered at Tony's, the upscale Italian eatery in downtown St. Louis. Before any food arrived, Boeheim stood up and clinked his champagne flute with a butter knife. "I just want to thank you for putting in all the hours you do on the job," he told his staff, "and for putting up with my crap for another season. I know at times it can be a hair-raising experience." As if on cue Boeheim's wife, Juli, interrupted. "What do you know about hair-raising?" she chided, as the table erupted with laughter. True. Hair may be a subject foreign to Boeheim, but raising banners certainly is not.

bonesinaz
03-15-2005, 09:58 PM
This was an entertaining read, the first article posted on this page, that is.

ShoogarBear
03-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm not opposed to the age limit, but people are willing ignore facts and state misstruths just to present an argument in favor of it.

Does anyone actually believe Tony Parker would have gotten better coaching in ANY college (Duke included) than he's gotten in the last 3+ years?

1Parker1
03-15-2005, 10:30 PM
A little off topic. I haven't been keeping up with the Magic, but seeing how this involves a local guy, what's this "Jameer Nelson Experiment" they talked about in the first article? Is he starting or something?

Guru of Nothing
03-15-2005, 10:35 PM
I'll allow that there were a few entertaining tidbits, but all in all, I thought they were pretty flaccid.

I'll take the creative writing efforts of many of the posters here over these two.

1Parker1
03-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I'll take the creative writing efforts of many of the posters here over these two.

I take it you're refering to me and my deep, thought provoking threads :princess

mookie2001
03-15-2005, 10:42 PM
this happenned last year if by an act of yaweh they lose, theyre dissapointments, if they win, the "experts" predicted it, and they'll scoff at the low ratings

Guru of Nothing
03-15-2005, 11:02 PM
I take it you're refering to me and my deep, thought provoking threads :princess

Who are you? :lol

jalbre6
03-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Does anyone actually believe Tony Parker would have gotten better coaching in ANY college (Duke included) than he's gotten in the last 3+ years?

Tony wouldn't be half the player he is now if he was a collegian. I don't care if John Wooden was coaching him.

exstatic
03-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Tony is an exceptional case. The Spurs are an organization that DOES teach. There also was a need for him to start his rookie year. Many players rot on the bench for long spells, and WOULD benefit from college.

ducks
03-15-2005, 11:18 PM
playing over seas is much smarter for usa kidds
they grow up
they do not know anyone over there so they work on their game
they do not have to pay people to do their homework (going to colledge in usa)
they do not have to learn to cheat and pay people to do their work and take their test for them.

ducks
03-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Darko Milicic has ROtTED ON THE BENCH IN DETROIT FOR 2 years(larry brown sucks)
J oneal rotted on the bench in portland

jalbre6
03-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Tony is an exceptional case. The Spurs are an organization that DOES teach. There also was a need for him to start his rookie year. Many players rot on the bench for long spells, and WOULD benefit from college.

I'm really on the fence with an age limit. I'd like to think that the practice and training regimen for an NBA player, not to mention the resources available by NBA teams, would greatly benefit raw, talented young guys. But they have to get in the game. I'd like to think that Darko Milicic would be tearing up the ACC or something right now, when he can't even seem to put in an earring correctly in Detroit.

jalbre6
03-15-2005, 11:32 PM
Before the NBDL came around, there was talk of a developmental league that kids could play in while attending a college. The teams would pay for it, and each player would make like $500 a week. The other allure was that they could stop playing and sign as a free agent with an NBA team whenever they wanted(or was needed), and then go back to school and keep playing for their old team if need be. The league was to incur all costs of school until the player recieved a bachelor's degree.

Tek_XX
03-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Memphis can't handle the Spurs..Wha.....?

Granted the playoffs are different, as proven last year, but they handled us fine the last game.

slayermin
03-16-2005, 03:21 AM
San Antonio -- After resting him throughout the first two rounds of the playoffs, the Spurs announce Tim Duncan will play in the conference finals.

:rollin

The way this season has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if our first two opponents are decimated with injuries and Timmy could actually sit out the first two rounds.

jalbre6
03-16-2005, 04:33 PM
For anyone who liked the second article, SI.com has a full "what-if" bracket including LeBron playing for Ohio State, TJ still at UT, etc. Check it out:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/sioncampus/bracket_poll/syracuse_regional_round_1.html

td4mvp21
03-16-2005, 06:08 PM
If we rest Duncan the first two rounds....well wait a minute make that one round......

SpursWoman
03-16-2005, 06:47 PM

:lol :lol