PDA

View Full Version : Bowen needs to play!!!

jbspurs
04-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't get it, Pop is not playing our number one defender. This team is about defense. It seems like Pop is now in favor of offense first then defense. If he continues on doing this, then we're not going deep in the playoffs.

04-01-2009, 01:25 AM
there has to be something wrong with bowen. popovich is notorious for sticking with his veterans even after a significant drop off (see horry and finley). something must be really wrong with bowen for popovich to sit him and replace him with udoka, who is just plain mediocre.

jbspurs
04-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I don't think he's hurt or something, He did a pretty good job covering Artest the last time he played. I noticed their defense picked up as soon as he entered the game, his defense is contageous to his teammates. I hope Pop is just giving him the Horry type of thing, less regular season playing time then more come playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 01:45 AM
this Bowen mystery is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in basketball..

timvp
04-01-2009, 01:47 AM
this Bowen mystery is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in basketball..:tu At least in the history of the Spurs. I don't think anyone would have second guessed Pop if he gave Bowen a chance. Instead he's basically sent Bowen into retirement without letting Bowen prove how much gas he has left in the tank.

mrsmaalox
04-01-2009, 01:51 AM
They could have beat Houston if Bowen had been on Artest from the start.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 01:54 AM
it's just sad though..

Bowen is the epitome of class, so he obviously won't complain..but it's just sad..this guy has done a lot for our franchise..he's given us a BIG 4, not a big 3..I don't believe that Pop wouldn't give him the respect of another chance to prove himself..

jbspurs
04-01-2009, 01:55 AM
they could have beat houston if bowen had been on artest from the start.

+1,000,000

NewJerSpur
04-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Well, one thing is certain: Bowen will be well-rested come playoff time. All the chips will be in at that point and everyone will have to be prepared to play if they're suited up. Even if he gave Bruce garbage time in one of the earlier rounds, I still wouldn't doubt him being used later depending on matchups.

SA210
04-01-2009, 03:10 AM
this Bowen mystery is one of the strangest things I've ever seen in basketball..

urunobili
04-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I was going to open an april fool's thread saying Bowen publicly declares to Popobitch to play him or trade him or similar.. something we don't know happened... :depressed

kace
04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
i still wonder if Pop will play him in PO. i mean, there are only8 games left and he still didn't have any consistent playing time to get in rythm.

does everyone has quit on Bowen playing in PO or is there still a chance ?

GSH
04-01-2009, 08:40 AM
it's just sad though..

Bowen is the epitome of class, so he obviously won't complain..but it's just sad..this guy has done a lot for our franchise..he's given us a BIG 4, not a big 3..I don't believe that Pop wouldn't give him the respect of another chance to prove himself..

You're 100% right about Bruce being a class act, and what he has done for the franchise. Pop's philosophy of "all defense, all the time" works at a different level when the other team's best player is locked down every night. I really like and respect Bowen, and I hope he remains a San Antonio icon after his playing days are over.

That being said, I'm not so sure he can do it night-in and night-out anymore. At least not against the best players in the league - and those are the nights we need it the most. He definitely got lit up in New Orleans the other night, just like some other games this season. Maybe being in as a starter, and getting into rhythm, would help. (He's mentioned it in the past.) But I still have my doubts.

In fairness to Bruce, they started that campaign a couple of seasons ago about him supposedly being such a dirty player, and the league played along. They sent a message through the zebras, and that was when the sudden "change" in his game occurred. It's like when a guy is playing with 5 fouls - he has to back off a little, and that makes him a target.

I'll finally go on record - that is one of the 2 big incidents that made me hate Stu Jackson so badly. He put the word out to the refs to specifically start blowing more whistles on Bowen. Not just to call certain types of plays closer - but to specifically whistle Bruce. It's also the thing that finally made me completely turn on Steve Kerr, because that whiny bitch was one of the major drivers of that campaign against Bowen. He not only called the league office down, he used his time with the Spurs to lend "credibility" to what he said.

I don't really know if Bruce has lost a step, or if he had to back off a step. I do know that he now draws whistles for things that other defenders regularly get by with. (Or worse... Derek Fisher's "belly-bump" defense comes to mind, but there are many others.) Whatever the cause, not having Bruce there to lock down one player may be the single biggest thing that separates this Spurs team from thos of the past several years.

Keepin' it real
04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Maybe coach is going to extreme lengths to rest Bowen so he'll be as fresh as possible in the playoffs? Otherwise, I don't understand either.

People can argue, persuasively, that Bowen has lost a step. But guess what, Finley has lost more than one step and is nowhere near the offensive threat he was in his prime, but he still gets a lot of minutes. I'd rather give Bowen more minutes and Finley fewer.

Spurminator
04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
It's bizarre. I never thought I'd see Bowen get Steve Smithed. I knew he couldn't sustain 30 mpg 82 games a year for the rest of his career, but there's no reason he shouldn't still be a key part of the rotation.

I haven't seen anything on the defensive end of the floor to suggest that he is anything less than the best perimeter defender on the team, still. And say what you will about his offense... He's very good at the one thing he can do: hit open 3's. I'd rather have someone out there who can hit open 3's consistently than another player who has a wider range of offensive skills but isn't really very good at any of them.

the crimson blur
04-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I'd rather have someone out there who can hit open 3's consistently than another player who has a wider range of offensive skills but isn't really very good at any of them.

In other words, Udoka and George Hill?

2Cleva
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Who would have thought Bowen was the identity of the Spurs?

The Big 3 are still there but they don't play "Spurs basketball" when Bowen is on the bench, even if the Big 3 are healthy.

loveforthegame
04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
It's strange.

If he's not playing now he's certainly not going to get significant minutes in the playoffs.

Spurminator
04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Who would have thought Bowen was the identity of the Spurs?

I've been beating that drum for years, and I know others have as well. Bowen personifies Spurs Basketball at its best.

kace
04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
In fairness to Bruce, they started that campaign a couple of seasons ago about him supposedly being such a dirty player, and the league played along. They sent a message through the zebras, and that was when the sudden "change" in his game occurred. It's like when a guy is playing with 5 fouls - he has to back off a little, and that makes him a target.

I'll finally go on record - that is one of the 2 big incidents that made me hate Stu Jackson so badly. He put the word out to the refs to specifically start blowing more whistles on Bowen. Not just to call certain types of plays closer - but to specifically whistle Bruce. It's also the thing that finally made me completely turn on Steve Kerr, because that whiny bitch was one of the major drivers of that campaign against Bowen. He not only called the league office down, he used his time with the Spurs to lend "credibility" to what he said.

I don't really know if Bruce has lost a step, or if he had to back off a step. I do know that he now draws whistles for things that other defenders regularly get by with. (Or worse... Derek Fisher's "belly-bump" defense comes to mind, but there are many others.) Whatever the cause, not having Bruce there to lock down one player may be the single biggest thing that separates this Spurs team from thos of the past several years.

so, following your point, is that possible that Pop is benching him not only to keep him fresh, but to keep him out of any controversy in RS too. then, he should get back in PO under the radar and be able to do his things on defense.

still, i don't see any reason to not start playing him so close from the PO.

the crimson blur
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
so, following your point, is that possible that Pop is benching him not only to keep him fresh, but to keep him out of any controvery in RS too. then, he should get back in PO under the radar and be able to do his things on defense.

Alright, you are thinking just a little too much :lol

BUMP
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
yeah seriously. ive been wondering whats been going on with Bowen. he started every game for SA last year, and now he never plays???

SpursWench21
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Honestly, whether hes fresh or not(and Bowen is always ready in my mind), i still think he will get significant minutes come PO. I think like kace said, Pop is keeping him under the radar and resting him a bit more for some tough playoffs matches we have coming. It might take a little longer to get in any offensive rhythm, but I think his Defense will to come into play more than were expecting. Just my opinion, but I just cant see this continuing throughout playoffs. His defensive focus and intensity affect the teams overall spirit (in a good way) too much for him to finish off on the bench.

crc21209
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Man I just want it to be day 1 of the Playoffs already so this damn mystery can be solved...

GSH
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM
so, following your point, is that possible that Pop is benching him not only to keep him fresh, but to keep him out of any controvery in RS too. then, he should get back in PO under the radar and be able to do his things on defense.

still, i don't see any reason to not start playing him so close from the PO.

I'm saying that he hasn't been as consistently effective. He's done well at times. But he's been hammered by some guys that, in my opinion, he would have controlled better in the past. And I'm saying that I don't know if he has lost a step, or if he has been forced to defend differently than he did in the past.

I would love to think that you are right, and that he could come in and be a lock-down defender for 30 minutes per night. If he could, Pop would be crazy not to have him in there. I guess I just have my doubts, even though I don't want to. But if Pop is really saving him for the playoffs, like Robert Horry, he really is the mad scientist of basketball.

crc21209
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm saying that he hasn't been as consistently effective. He's done well at times. But he's been hammered by some guys that, in my opinion, he would have controlled better in the past. And I'm saying that I don't know if he has lost a step, or if he has been forced to defend differently than he did in the past.

I would love to think that you are right, and that he could come in and be a lock-down defender for 30 minutes per night. If he could, Pop would be crazy not to have him in there. I guess I just have my doubts, even though I don't want to. But if Pop is really saving him for the playoffs, like Robert Horry, he really is the mad scientist of basketball.

Bruce hasnt looked horrible this year at all, he looks like he still has gas in the tank left, thats what is most frustrating about all of this. If Pop threw Robert Horry out there who did not contribute shit in the Playoffs at all except for Game 7 of the Hornets series then why wouldnt he throw Bruce out there this year? He has to!

loveforthegame
04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
He might get some minutes as a disrupter but I'm not expecting anything more than that.

Spursmania
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I think Duncan needs to talk to Pop about Bowen.

Quiet Strength
04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I dunno.. I've thought about bowen not playing and the only thing that makes sense is that pop is saving him for the playoffs. Maybe hes getting all these other teams used to the spurs weak ass defense and when the playoffs start.. the spurs will play at their highest level in defense with bowen back in the starting lineup. Most likely I am wrong but thats what I want to believe.

SA210
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Bowen personifies Spurs Basketball at its best.

I agree, I have stuck by this even when people ride the "Bowen has lost a step and is a liablity on offense" wagon. It's funny, it seems that people hear someone say that, so they go along with it just for the hell of it, with no proof.

Bruce shut down Lebron year before last and in my opinion should have been considered MVP of the Finals, he's NBA All Defense last year, and he doesn't even play now???? WTF? On a team that practiced and lived on Defense 1st principles. A defensive team that doesn't play their best defender??

Please, again, SOMEONE MAKE POP READ THIS FORUM!!

:bang

Spursmania
04-01-2009, 01:22 PM
I posted this in the Pop thread, but it belongs here too. All of us who have faith that Bowen will be playing in the playoffs are going to be sorely disappointed. I keep hearing maybe Pop is saving Bowen's legs, etc... Give me a break. I no longer believe that at all.
I mean the guy is not a cripple. He is in one of the best shapes around the league, and Pop is afraid he'll wear him down by playing a few minutes in these regular season games? Bullshit. :nope

Either Pop has an epiphany now and begins to set his damn rotations that include Bowen or we can kiss ever seeing Bowen much during the playoff goodbye. Expect to see fricking Ime and Finley take all of Bowen's minutes. Why Pop believes Ime deserves all of these minutes over Bowen is beyond my comprehension.

I'm hopeful but it's as if the dye has been cast, and we are in denial about the kind of playing time Pop will give Bowen. I hope I am wrong.:(

Spursfan092120
04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
When Jacque Vaughn gets more minutes than Bruce, George Hill, and Drew Gooden combined, you're not going to beat anybody, INCLUDING OKC.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
there's really no legit reason for him not to play..

for offense? no..our offense isn't significantly better than last year at all, but our D is definitely worse..

old age? no..look at Finley, and now Vaughn..

yes, Bowen has lost a step..but look what he fell off from..he was a top 5 perimeter defender in the NBA last year..Bowen losing a step means he's still a GOOD defender..he's EASILY our best perimeter defender along with George..

he's shown it MANY times this year..

vs. Houston: completely shut down Artest after he was dominating us..too bad Pop didn't bring him in until the 4th..his ball denial was a thing of beauty..

vs. Minnesota: played an all-around great defensive game..did a great job on both Gomes and Foye..

vs. Boston: completely shut down Paul Pierce, including a memorable weak side block..

vs. Portland: shut down Brandon Roy, annoyed him all game..

vs. Detroit: vintage Bowen in this game..one of his best of the season..

vs. NJ: shut down Carter, after Vince was dominating our entire D..

vs. NO: played only the entire 2nd quarter, but obviously it ended up being New Orleans lowest point total by quarter and FG% by quarter for the game..

vs. Utah: came in and completely shut down Mehmet Okur, after Okur was dominating us for the first 3 quarters..

vs. LA: played solid D against Kobe, making him go 4-11..Pop doesn't put him on Kobe the rest of the game though..

vs. NJ: shut down VC again..

vs. Indiana: very solid performance against Danny Granger..

vs. Chicago: held Ben Gordon scoreless for the last 10 minutes of the game..

vs. Miami: played great D on Wade, forced a lot of turnovers, got him off his game..

vs. Memphis: played great D on both Mayo and Gay..actually, in all the Memphis games this season, they've managed to dominate all of our defenders outside of Bowen IIRC..

so these are just Bowen's GREAT games since January..obviously he's had some bad games, good games, and decent games..but these are just his GREAT games in the past few months..

Spursfan092120
04-01-2009, 01:44 PM

yes, Bowen has lost a step..but look what he fell off from..he was a top 5 perimeter defender in the NBA last year..Bowen losing a step means he's still a GOOD defender..he's EASILY our best perimeter defender along with George..

vs. Houston: completely shut down Artest after he was dominating us..too bad Pop didn't bring him in until the 4th..his ball denial was a thing of beauty..

vs. Minnesota: played an all-around great defensive game..did a great job on both Gomes and Foye..

vs. Boston: completely shut down Paul Pierce, including a memorable weak side block..

vs. NO: played only the entire 2nd quarter, but obviously it ended up being New Orleans lowest point total by quarter and FG% by quarter for the game..

vs. Utah: came in and completely shut down Mehmet Okur, after Okur was dominating us for the first 3 quarters..

vs. LA: played solid D against Kobe, making him go 4-11..Pop doesn't put him on Kobe the rest of the game though..

vs. Miami: played great D on Wade, forced a lot of turnovers, got him off his game..

vs. Memphis: played great D on both Mayo and Gay..actually, in all the Memphis games this season, they've managed to dominate all of our defenders outside of Bowen IIRC..

so these are just Bowen's GREAT games since January..obviously he's had some bad games, good games, and decent games..but these are just his GREAT games in the past few months..
And if he doesn't play against Grainger again on Friday, he might go off for 30 or 40

poop
04-01-2009, 01:57 PM

just incredible. im speechless. what the hell is pop thinking. 'hey bruce is stopping the offensive threat, let me bench him and put in more bonner instead'....just unbelievable.

timvp
04-01-2009, 02:11 PM

for offense? no..our offense isn't significantly better than last year at all, but our D is definitely worse..

old age? no..look at Finley, and now Vaughn..

Good points and research.

I just have no clue what Pop is thinking. If Pop is looking at some stats that say the offense struggled with Bowen on the court, those stats are useless at this point because the Big Three are back. If one or two of the Big Three are missing, they yeah Bowen may be an offensive liability. But now back in his customary role where he shoots open three-pointers, he should be fine. And with the way he has shot this year and every year in the playoffs, I trust him with an open three more than I trust anyone on the team.

Defensively, I'm not even ready to concede 100% that he has lost a step. We haven't gotten a chance to see him get enough consistent playing time to make a fair judgment. Considering his age, he's probably lost a step. But that is more hypothetical than fact at this point.

It's just amazing that 36-year-old Michael Finley who has never been a big part of a winning team and is currently a soft, inconsistent, no-defense-playing choker has been elevated into the Big Four and 37-year-old Bruce Bowen who is still hands down the best perimeter defender on the team, the most fearless player on the team, historically the best and most consistent clutch shooter on the team and who has played his best basketball on the biggest stages is unceremoniously being forced into retirement right before our eyes.

:pctoss

urunobili
04-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Add the Monster block on Nowitzki on our only home win on this year's series...

SA210
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM

I just have no clue what Pop is thinking. If Pop is looking at some stats that say the offense struggled with Bowen on the court, those stats are useless at this point because the Big Three are back. If one or two of the Big Three are missing, they yeah Bowen may be an offensive liability. But now back in his customary role where he shoots open three-pointers, he should be fine. And with the way he has shot this year and every year in the playoffs, I trust him with an open three more than I trust anyone on the team.

Defensively, I'm not even ready to concede 100% that he has lost a step. We haven't gotten a chance to see him get enough consistent playing time to make a fair judgment. Considering his age, he's probably lost a step. But that is more hypothetical than fact at this point.

It's just amazing that 36-year-old Michael Finley who has never been a big part of a winning team and is currently a soft, inconsistent, no-defense-playing choker has been elevated into the Big Four and 37-year-old Bruce Bowen who is still hands down the best perimeter defender on the team, the most fearless player on the team, historically the best and most consistent clutch shooter on the team and who has played his best basketball on the biggest stages is unceremoniously being forced into retirement right before our eyes.

Man, I have been saying this forever. I don't understand people saying he's lost a step.

Anothere thing, as for people saying that Pop is saving Bowen for the Playoffs, NO, I don't buy it, it is NOT true. If for some reason Pop plays Bowen in the Playoffs, or starts him as he should be, it was NOT his plan, he may have just opened his eyes, that's all. But I doubt he opens his eyes.

I'm telling you, Phil Jackson LOVES the fact of Bruce is not starting. He must laugh at Pop and ridicule him. He knows that Kobe's going to get off early and kill us with Bruce on the bench. It just disgusts me. Can we start a petition to Pop on this crap??

He has to hear what the hell we are saying before it's too late. This is recipe for major disaster. Pop mostly sticks to his guns though when he's criticized. It's like he gets offended so he's gonna keep to it on purpose. That's when we lose, and the argument is then, again, "We didn't make our shots, the other team did".

PETITION the lineup.

timvp
04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
:lmao @ the thought of what the Lakers would do to the Spurs with the current starting lineup that would start Finley on Kobe.

xtremesteven33
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
If Bowen has lost a step then its pretty obvious Kobe has lost a step also. Many reports are saying he is feeling the fatigue already and its showing in his play.

Kobe was such a tough cover cause he was so quick back in the day but now (hes still quick) but not as much so 4-5 years ago. Bowen could certainly give him problems catching the ball and setting up for his shot.

MannyIsGod
04-01-2009, 03:54 PM
We'll know by the next game, IMO, how the rest of the season and post season will go. If after that game last night, Bowen still does not get significant time I do not see any circumstances that will allow him back into the rotation. I don't pretend to understand why he's riding the pine so fucking hard, but we'll see.

If last night doesn't shake Pop I'm not sure what will.

Creation88
04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Bruce is our secret franchise and has done nothing to award him the bench. play him and get back to Spurs basketball.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
...and remember..those games I listed were just his great games since JANUARY..not counting November and December, where he had a number of great games as well, including his epic game vs. Carmelo Anthony..

I'll never give up on this team, but I'll be VERY dissapointed if Bowen doesn't play signficant minutes in the playoffs..

GSH
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM

etc.

I can't argue with any of that. He's had some bad games, but he's had good ones too. And I don't doubt that he would have had more if he had gotten the minutes. And even if he has lost a step, I believe we are a better defensive team with Bruce in the lineup. So with Pop's fanaticism about defense, why wouldn't he be playing him more?

Maybe he knows that Bruce doesn't need the minutes during the season - he knows his job so well that he can jump into it any time and be 100% effective? So he feels like the team is getting the most benefit by giving the new players more minutes?

Maybe management doesn't believe they can win it all this year, so they are focusing on developing younger players?

Keeping Bruce under the radar until the playoffs, so nothing happens to make him a target of extra whistles?

None of the thoughts I've heard really hold water. The only thing that really makes sense is that, regardless of what we all think, Pop doesn't think he's up to the task anymore.

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
exactly..and I would believe the "management wants to go younger" reason if Hairston was playing right now, but Ime and Finley?..

that's the problem with this..none of our reasons hold any water..there's no legit reason for Bruce Bowen not to get minutes in the playoffs..

the answer that makes the MOST sense, is your first point GSH..that Pop already knows what Bowen brings, he believes he doesn't need time to adapt to the team, and he can instantly fit..

that's the most LOGICAL answer..but would Pop go THIS far with all this? this would be going extreme, hardcore CIA..

Jace
04-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm wondering if he is simply saving Bowen, perhaps he and his staff know that Bowen only has so many good games left in him and he wants him to be as fresh as possible for the playoffs?

MaNu4Tres
04-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Bruce hasnt looked horrible this year at all, he looks like he still has gas in the tank left, thats what is most frustrating about all of this. If Pop threw Robert Horry out there who did not contribute shit in the Playoffs at all except for Game 7 of the Hornets series then why wouldnt he throw Bruce out there this year? He has to!

Amen

SouthTexasRancher
04-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I don't get it, Pop is not playing our number one defender. This team is about defense. It seems like Pop is now in favor of offense first then defense. If he continues on doing this, then we're not going deep in the playoffs.

I agree wholeheartedly that Bowen should be on the floor. And right now so his legs and lungs are in game shape. I'd rather see Bowen's goose-eggs than seeing them from 3 starters...Finley, Bowen & Mason, on nights they seem to be playing with their heads up their rears (along with Pop having his own stuck there lately). At least Bruce can stop or hamper the other team's star player. Pop should shave his beard and go back to being the good ol' Pop. Maybe he thinks he is the second coming of Phil JackASS.

jbspurs
04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm wondering if he is simply saving Bowen, perhaps he and his staff know that Bowen only has so many good games left in him and he wants him to be as fresh as possible for the playoffs?

Yeah, He'll be fresh... Rusty as well. Lately, Pop is more into "Offense against Offense". I hope come playoffs, Pop will do it the "Spurs way.. Defense then Offense". Put Bowen back into the starting lineup and let him set the tone on defense.

peskypesky
04-02-2009, 12:46 AM

This enrages me! I am so fucking pissed at Poopavitch that I may not even fucking watch the playoffs if Bowen isn't getting solid minutes. Seriously.

AARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! STUPID POOPAVITCH!!

SA210
04-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Pop READ THIS !!!! Damn! :pctoss

MaNu4Tres
04-02-2009, 01:39 AM

Right on the money.

Ditty
04-02-2009, 01:43 AM
if granger goes for 30 on friday bowen will be there

and i would be shocked if they dont but bruce against lebron on sunday

jbspurs
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
if granger goes for 30 on friday bowen will be there

and i would be shocked if they dont but bruce against lebron on sunday

If not, it'll be Bruce against Pop. Then, Pop vs Spurs fans!

hater
04-02-2009, 09:06 AM
SPurs will get raped by Cavs on sunday