PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Animated Series

florige
04-01-2009, 07:44 AM
I was always a die hard Simpsons fan. That was until I started watching SouthPark last year. Southpark is easily my favorite now.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 07:47 AM
:tu South Park kicks everybody's ass.

leemajors
04-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Samurai Jack, Venture Bros, and Futurama. Simpsons has become worse than a caricature of itself, and has been on at least a decade too long.

samikeyp
04-01-2009, 08:13 AM
I am a big South Park fan although I do like King of the Hill as well.

I think, though, SP may have jumped the shark.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I am a big South Park fan although I do like King of the Hill as well.

I think, though, SP may have jumped the shark.

Why do you say that?

samikeyp
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Last season just was not that good, IMO, this season has been a little better so far.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Last season just was not that good, IMO, this season has been a little better so far.

I'd love to work for the show. I've seen how laid back of a place it is. I don't know how they get things done around there. Do you know they don't decide in advance what the episodes will be about? They usually decide the week of the show. :lol

Don Quixote
04-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Okay, bitches. You hear me and hear me good. Family Guy and American Dad do not belong in the conversation with the others. They are not even close. I can think of 10 more animated shows superior to Macfarlane's crap in terms of quality of animation, and especially writing.

Futurama?
Boondocks?

Don Quixote
04-01-2009, 08:30 AM
That said, Family Guy was a pretty good show before it was cancelled. They should never have brought it back -- it has been a huge disappointment.

florige
04-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Okay, bitches. You hear me and hear me good. Family Guy and American Dad do not belong in the conversation with the others. They are not even close. I can think of 10 more animated shows superior to Macfarlane's crap in terms of quality of animation, and especially writing.

Futurama?
Boondocks?

:bang Yeah I forgot all about Futurama. I am sorta surprised that the Simpsons didn't get at least one vote. Even though Homer stopped being funny years ago.

florige
04-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Idk Mikey. It kinda rebounded a bit toward the end of the season imo. But the first couple of episodes were a bit over the top starting with Cartman having AIDS.

leemajors
04-01-2009, 08:42 AM
:bang Yeah I forgot all about Futurama. I am sorta surprised that the Simpsons didn't get at least one vote. Even though Homer stopped being funny years ago.

You should really check out Venture Bros. It's utterly hilarious, and from one of the main writers of The Tick animated series.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
The reason I love South Park is because they are not afraid to push anyone's buttons. On regular syndication, they could not get away with the stuff they do.

They will make fun of whoever the hell they damn please, to include Jesus, Satan and Santa Claus. :lmao :tu

dimsah
04-01-2009, 08:45 AM
You should really check out Venture Bros. It's utterly hilarious, and from one of the main writers of The Tick animated series.

Venture Bros. is great but season 3 wasn't as good as season 2 IMO.
The Monarch makes the show.

florige
04-01-2009, 08:52 AM

I heard that Robot Chicken was sorta funny as well.

The reason I love South Park is because they are not afraid to push anyone's buttons. On regular syndication, they could not get away with the stuff they do.

They will make fun of whoever the hell they damn please, to include Jesus, Satan and Santa Claus. :lmao :tu

Yep! Thats exactly why I like it too. They don't give a crap about who they make fun off. I just hope in the future they get a better voice over for Obama, and make fun of him more.

resistanze
04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
The revival of the Simpsons has been pleasant.

Futurama >>>>> Family Guy and all it's bastard spin-offs.

I stopped watching South Park in 2001, but it still has it's moments.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep! Thats exactly why I like it too. They don't give a crap about who they make fun off. I just hope in the future they get a better voice over for Obama, and make fun of him more.

:lol You know.....thinking back, they didn't make fun of Bush that much, only those surrounding him...Cheney/Rice, etc.

What did you think of Team America? :lmao

florige
04-01-2009, 09:09 AM
:lol You know.....thinking back, they didn't make fun of Bush that much, only those surrounding him...Cheney/Rice, etc.

Bush was a badass. Remember when he shot that 9/11 org dude in the mouth. That was awesome. :lol I don't have cable or anything so I haven't seen any from this season yet. I just buy them when they come out on DVD.

Drachen
04-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Anyone ever seen Kid Notorious? Invader Zim??

Drachen
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Of those given, I have to go with either Family Guy, or King of the Hill. Family guy is flat out funny to me and King of the Hill is the most accurate depiction of Texas that has ever been on TV.

florige
04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
The revival of the Simpsons has been pleasant.

Futurama >>>>> Family Guy and all it's bastard spin-offs.

I stopped watching South Park in 2001, but it still has it's moments.

When Family Guy first came out that show really had potential I think to over take SouthPark. But like someone else said after they came back from getting canceled they started going too Stewie crazy imo. They also started going way over the top with Peter as well.

Bukefal
04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
South park for sure!! Just hilarious!

florige
04-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Of those given, I have to go with either Family Guy, or King of the Hill. Family guy is flat out funny to me and King of the Hill is the most accurate depiction of Texas that has ever been on TV.

KOTH is freakin hillarious too. For me it's SP then KOTH. It's so funny watchin dale and Hank interact. I am sorry they are cancelling that series.

Spurminator
04-01-2009, 09:21 AM
South Park has passed its peak, but I still tune in for the new episodes. I haven't watched a new Simpsons episode in years. But it's still my favorite animated show of all time, on the strength of seasons 1-10.

Cane
04-01-2009, 09:23 AM
The Simpsons has been on the air almost longer than all those shows combined. My vote goes for the Simpsons, the sheer amount of classics and nostalgia associated with Homer outnumber the amount of quality episodes in the other franchises.

South Park would be second - combines vile and disgusting humor while challenging various elements of the status quo (how stupid fighting over religion is, current events, etc).

Family Guy is a shell of what it used to be, Seth must be trying to get it cancelled so he can work on his other projects.

Drachen
04-01-2009, 09:29 AM
KOTH is freakin hillarious too. For me it's SP then KOTH. It's so funny watchin dale and Hank interact. I am sorry they are cancelling that series.

I agree, KOTH is freakin hilarious, its one of those funny but true things. Plus, if someone asks about Texas, you actually have a show to point to when they say "Is it really like 'Dallas', or 'Walker Texas Ranger'"???

Drachen
04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
South Park has passed its peak, but I still tune in for the new episodes. I haven't watched a new Simpsons episode in years. But it's still my favorite animated show of all time, on the strength of seasons 1-10.

I would take out season 1, because it really wasn't until season 2 that they realized that Homer, not Bart, was the star of the show.

Don Quixote
04-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Family guy has definitely been dumbed down. Ironically, its ratings are much higher than when the show was good (1999-2002), so the show isn't going anywhere.

Family Guy is totally different now. It used to be about a guy who watched too much TV, drank too much beer, but still basically loved his family. Stewie was the evil genius bent on matricide. And the show had a much better command of irony and dramatic tension. Now? None of that.

Don Quixote
04-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I also appreciate how South Park and King of the Hill skewer liberals and their pieties. Very few shows do that nowadays.

Drachen
04-01-2009, 09:40 AM
by the way, I know the ones I mentioned before are little known, so I can see why they aren't on the list, but how can you possibly sleep at night without including Beavis and Butthead?

Spurminator
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
I would take out season 1, because it really wasn't until season 2 that they realized that Homer, not Bart, was the star of the show.

Season 1 hasn't aged well, but it was great at the time. Kind of like the first season of SP. Both of those shows established mega-popularity in their first season but reached their full potential later.

Don Quixote
04-01-2009, 10:09 AM
by the way, I know the ones I mentioned before are little known, so I can see why they aren't on the list, but how can you possibly sleep at night without including Beavis and Butthead?

of course!

But this poll had both Family Guy and American Dad on it. That explains the lack of many far superior shows.

The Franchise
04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Squidbillies. :king

IronMexican
04-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Mission Hill is still my favorite cartoon.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Tonight's episode is called -

Preview - We Want Answers!
Season 13 Eat, Pray, Queef
The boys are victims of an April Fools joke and Cartman is furious.

:lol:lol:lol

mexicanjunior
04-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Family Guy>KOTH>The Simpsons>American Dad>Everything else...

mrsmaalox
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
With all the ridiculous quoting from Aqua Teen-whatever that goes on here, I can't believe it's not on this list

leemajors
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
With all the ridiculous quoting from Aqua Teen-whatever that goes on here, I can't believe it's not on this list

aqua teen was pretty funny for a while, but i preferred sealab 2021 - with captain murphy of course. Stimutacs is still a classic.

CuckingFunt
04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I think that "South Park" is probably the best show of the bunch now, but "The Simpsons" will always be my favorite. I can still (almost) quote entire episodes verbatim.

CuckingFunt
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is one of my must watch shows, but I'm a little pissed at them and Adult Swim. When a show is less than 15 minutes long, it's just retarded to have less than ten new episodes in a season.

Blake
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
South Park is the greatest because something tha makes the news today can be in an episode next week. The Simpsons takes a month to get with the times because of the way the animation is drawn.

The Star Wars episode of Robot Chicken was one of the funniest things I have ever seen......easily 10x funnier than the Family Guy Star Wars........

Venture Bros is funny enough, but you can't just jump in and watch one episode to get the humor.......it takes a while.

Family Guy is stupid and has very little creativity, but somehow I get stuck watching it and laugh.

American dad is unwatchable.

King of the Hill is clever, but it runs too much like a sit com and the humor is too subtle.
I get bored watching it.

I still have a special place in my heart for beavis and butthead and the very first season of Ren and Stimpy.

mrsmaalox
04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I still have a special place in my heart for beavis and butthead and the very first season of Ren and Stimpy.

Ren and Stimpy were the greatest! I can still laugh my ass off to "Nurse Stimpy" and "Space Madness" :lol

jman3000
04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
aqua teen was pretty funny for a while, but i preferred sealab 2021 - with captain murphy of course. Stimutacs is still a classic.

all that jazz>stimutacs

"what are ya doing? making a necklace or something?"

jman3000
04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Drawn Together had some really good episodes in its 2 season run.

mrsmaalox
04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
What? No love for SpongeBob??

Blake
04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Ren and Stimpy were the greatest! I can still laugh my ass off to "Nurse Stimpy" and "Space Madness" :lol

my favorites were the wrestling episode with the flying butt pliers and 'don't whizz on the electric fence'

leemajors
04-01-2009, 11:47 AM
all that jazz>stimutacs

"what are ya doing? making a necklace or something?"

there are so many, those first two seasons were awesome. waking quinn, tinfins, bizzaro, brainswitch

atxrocker
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Drawn Together had some really good episodes in its 2 season run.

haha.. fuck yes. both seasons were gold but i think season 1 was the best.

David Bowie
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
It's a hard choice between South Park and Kingof the Hill. I'm going to vote South Park just because I've seen every epesode and it cheers me up betterthen King of the Hill. But, in general, I love both shows.

I always find the Simpons enjoyable. I hate Family Guy, and American Dad is all right .

Hank Hill
04-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Hmm, I can't decide, can I think about it while I drink an Alamo Beer?

resistanze
04-01-2009, 12:55 PM
When Family Guy first came out that show really had potential I think to over take SouthPark. But like someone else said after they came back from getting canceled they started going too Stewie crazy imo. They also started going way over the top with Peter as well.

The problem with Peter being a jackass as opposed to Cartman, Homer, Bender, Dayle etc... is that he's simply an unlikeable character. I don't find myself laughing at 75% of the shit he does. And what's with the fighting chickens and stupid 10 minute interludes of random country songs? Not funny.

I agree, it was better before it was cancelled.

phyzik
04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think KOTH resembles Texas... maybe a facet of Texas, but not the whole of Texas. It definitely represents the little towns like Arlington and such but I don't think I've ever seen 4 white guys standing next to their mailbox with a cooler full of beer in any of the bigger cities like San Antonio.

Maybe 4 or 5 Mexicans on the south side or something, but definitely not 4 white guys :lol

BlackSwordsMan
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
south park is the shit
simpsons is terrible

mardigan
04-01-2009, 01:08 PM
ATHF
South Park
Venture Bros.
Metalacolypse
Tom Goes To The Mayor

When I was younger I loved Doug and Batman The Animated Series (still maybe my favorite cartoon ever).

DoubtingThomas
04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Flintstones

DAF86
04-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Family guy.

Jacob1983
04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Transformers

Don Quixote
04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
The problem with Peter being a jackass as opposed to Cartman, Homer, Bender, Dayle etc... is that he's simply an unlikeable character. I don't find myself laughing at 75% of the poop he does. And what's with the fighting chickens and stupid 10 minute interludes of random country songs? Not funny.

I agree, it was better before it was cancelled.

Exactly! Peter Griffin is completely unlikeable now. Is he the protagonist? The good guy?

During the rather good first 3 seasons, Peter was a loud, obnoxious, drunk who watched too much TV. But still a good guy. The show today is an appeal to the lowest common denominator.

JoeChalupa
04-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Flintstones

+ 1 The Simpsons is the only one from the list that I ever watched.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
The Jetsons :tu

Blake
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Transformers

"I, Starscream, am now the new leader of the Decepticons"

/thread

Blake
04-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm kinda surprised nobody on here mentioned Dragonball Z. I never watched an episode, but someone had to, otherwise there wouldn't be a lame looking movie coming out.

JoeChalupa
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
The Jetsons :tu

I had the hots for the daughter.

JudynTX
04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
I had the hots for the daughter.

Me? :lmao We share the same name.

Xylus
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM
You can't go wrong with King of the Hill, South Park, or the Simpsons. I've never found Family Guy funny, and American Dad is the least funny show I think I've ever seen.

Tom Goes To The Mayor

I just recently got into Tom Goes to the Mayor. It's such a strange and funny show, and I'm a fan of Tim and Eric.

DAF86
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
You can't go wrong with King of the Hill, South Park, or the Simpsons. I've never found Family Guy funny, and American Dad is the least funny show I think I've ever seen.

I just recently got into Tom Goes to the Mayor. It's such a strange and funny show, and I'm a fan of Tim and Eric.

I never liked "King of the hill", I don't find it funny and the animation is depressing.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
My favorite of all time is still The Simpsons. But it sure as hell isn't anywhere near as funny as it was. My favorite years were 97-2003. Maybe it was because I was consuming mass amounts of THC and alcohol at the time. But no matter what I will always watch.

Family Guy and South Park are both tied for my 2nd favorite with King of the Hill not far behind that. The Adult Swim shows, especially Squidbillies, ATHF, Metalocolypse and Assy McGhee are hilarious. I lump them all together and put Adult Swim at 4.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM

I think you are the only person I have ever come across that enjoys Tim and Eric. I find that show annoying.

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
tom n jerry
anything from huckleberry hound
anything from time warner

actually anything made in the 90s had the best cartoon/anime imo

whats with todays bs on tv? especially kids programs whether its cartoon or educational programs most of them have lowered the standards of production or someshit as compared from the 90s.

Melmart1
04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Count me in on the Simpsons lovers, for nostalgic reasons. It was huge when I was a little girl and I have fond memories of it. I admittedly haven't watched in awhile, though.

Drachen
04-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't think KOTH resembles Texas... maybe a facet of Texas, but not the whole of Texas. It definitely represents the little towns like Arlington and such but I don't think I've ever seen 4 white guys standing next to their mailbox with a cooler full of beer in any of the bigger cities like San Antonio.

Maybe 4 or 5 Mexicans on the south side or something, but definitely not 4 white guys :lol

I have, but it was in Converse. It may not be in an alley or something, but one of my neighbors brought out a cooler of beer and started working on pulling up a stump. Within 15 minutes 2 other neighbors came out grabbed a beer and they all stood around it trying to decide what to do. It was priceless, when they all had decided, they literally went around saying "yep." They did this kinda thing a lot. On a porch, or doing something, whatever. This is pure Texas.

Drachen
04-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Oh, one last thing, if you are going with Adult Swim, you have to mention Space Ghost: Coast to Coast

florige
04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah I left off alot alot of good ones. Especially Futurama.

florige
04-02-2009, 08:31 AM
The Simpsons seem to be catching up some.

ORION
04-02-2009, 08:38 AM
The Simpsons seem to be catching up some.
Bull fucking shit ! Shake is by far the funniest character next to Tom from Tom and Jerry. He is Legend.

Obstructed_View
04-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Space...it seems to go on and on forever. Then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

And that's how you play the game!

balli
04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
The Simpsons, but I doubt I've seen five episodes that were made after 1998. Older episodes are the shit though.

I would say Southpark, but I'm entirely turned off by how crass it is. I love the social insight and thematic maturity of the show, but I'm really turned off by its more juvenile aspects. It's a weird mix.

And its basic premise seems to be, "let's mock anybody, anywhere, who takes anything, whatsoever, even the slightest bit seriously."

It's pretty nihilistic when it comes to the human experience having meaning. And I guess there's a purpose for that. Kind of grates on me sometimes though.

CuckingFunt
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
And its basic premise seems to be, "let's mock anybody, anywhere, who takes anything, whatsoever, even the slightest bit seriously."

It's pretty nihilistic when it comes to the human experience having meaning. And I guess there's a purpose for that. Kind of grates on me sometimes though.

I actually stopped watching the show for a couple years for that very reason. I'm pretty cynical about the current state of our species, so can find amusement in the show's commentary on how things are right now, but am ultimately fairly optimistic about how much potential we could have if we ever chose to act on it, so can get annoyed by its snarky nihilism.

I've come back around to embracing the funny, and have since watched all the shows I missed during my hiatus, but there are a few episodes I still just really don't like. And I'm still particularly annoyed by Parker/Stone themselves. Having the stones to challenge various systems and structures is great, but when it comes to the point you're shitting on a lot of the people who have helped you out (the temper tantrum over Isaac Hayes quitting comes to mind) and the very system that has provided your fame/wealth/voice/etc. without ever acknowledging the privilege you receive from that system... There can be very fine line between social criticism and a whiny brattiness.

Blake
04-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I actually stopped watching the show for a couple years for that very reason. I'm pretty cynical about the current state of our species, so can find amusement in the show's commentary on how things are right now, but am ultimately fairly optimistic about how much potential we could have if we ever chose to act on it, so can get annoyed by its snarky nihilism.

I've come back around to embracing the funny, and have since watched all the shows I missed during my hiatus, but there are a few episodes I still just really don't like. And I'm still particularly annoyed by Parker/Stone themselves. Having the stones to challenge various systems and structures is great, but when it comes to the point you're shitting on a lot of the people who have helped you out (the temper tantrum over Isaac Hayes quitting comes to mind) and the very system that has provided your fame/wealth/voice/etc. without ever acknowledging the privilege you receive from that system... There can be very fine line between social criticism and a whiny brattiness.

I agree. the constant barrage on every social group was getting to be too much for me too........but I also came back around.

I think they went way over the top with Hayes and the way they killed off chef........but I admire the way they go after anyone regardless of who they are. Hayes probably should have laughed it off too.

leemajors
04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree. the constant barrage on every social group was getting to be too much for me too........but I also came back around.

I think they went way over the top with Hayes and the way they killed off chef........but I admire the way they go after anyone regardless of who they are. Hayes probably should have laughed it off too.

scientologists don't laugh.

lefty
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Cowboy Beebop
City Hunter
Grendizer
South Park
Futurama
Simpsons

CuckingFunt
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Hayes probably should have laughed at the Scientology jokes, but he didn't. I still think there comes a point where people who have done so much for you -- he was the only recognizable name and a HUGE part of their early success -- that, maybe, they become off limits.

Blake
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
scientologists don't laugh.

they do but it's a crazy insane laugh.......usually right before they start jumping around on Oprah's sofas.

Mister Sinister
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
X-Men: The Animated Series, bitches.

CharlieMac
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
It was really a tough decision between South Park and King of the Hill. But I've watched every King of the Hill episode 3-4 times that I am really tired of it. Maybe I'll appreciate it once its gone.

Avitus1
04-02-2009, 11:40 PM
X-Men: The Animated Series, bitches.

+1

Wolverine And The X-Men is decent but X-Men TAS is great!

batman2883
04-03-2009, 09:18 AM
How the hell is the boondocks not up there......

1. Boondocks
2. American dad
3. Family guy
4. Aqua teen hunger force

batman2883
04-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Im the goddamn batman

florige
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM

1. Boondocks
2. American dad
3. Family guy

I forgot alot of good ones.

ORION
04-03-2009, 01:45 PM

1. Boondocks
2. American dad
3. Family guy
#4!? You're a damn traitor !

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I voted family guy even though i really like all of them

i always laugh at southpark and think it is a hilarious show, but never watch it. :( not sure why