PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About the 'Shrinking Middle Class'

desflood
03-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Donald Lambro

Perhaps no other public policy area is more clouded by "myth conceptions" than our federal tax system. That's why the latest "Tax Watch" study from the nonpartisan Tax Foundation is a timely breath of fresh air.
For example, did you know, this year, a record 44 million Americans will file tax returns but not have to pay any income taxes (because of growing deductions and credits that have effectively removed them from the tax base)?
Did you know, as a result, the richest 20 percent of taxpayers - those making more than $68,000 a year - will pay 82 percent of all federal income tax revenue, also a record?
Scott Hodge, president of Tax Foundation, offers another compelling tax fact: "Despite the charge of critics, President Bush's tax cuts further reduced the tax burden of low- and middle-income taxpayers, and shifted the tax burden onto wealthy taxpayers."
Mr. Bush has named a bipartisan commission to examine the tax code and develop proposals to make it simpler, less expensive and more conducive to economic growth and investment.
But here's the dilemma the commission faces, says Mr. Hodge: "If the goal of fundamental tax reform is to expand the tax base and lower rates, how do you craft a tax reform plan that (1) doesn't raise taxes on the 44 million Americans who now pay nothing, and (2) doesn't 'cut taxes for the rich' who now pay almost everything?"
This, of course, raises the interesting and rarely asked question (at least in the news media) about who makes up the rich in today's economy? If you believe Democratic leaders, who continue to say Mr. Bush's tax cuts favored the rich, you might think the country is awash in millionaires.
But the taxpayer profile put out by Mr. Hodge's group shows a growing number of taxpayers in today's two-income family economy have left the statistical middle class and have become, well, sort of rich. In other words, says Mr. Hodge, "Today's middle class isn't what it used to be."
The day when the typical married, single-earner household dominated the tax base is long gone. It has been largely displaced in U.S. tax demographics by a wealthier income stratum of 32 million dual-income, married working couples.
"With two incomes, today's typical families no longer reside in the statistical middle of the income scale (those earning roughly $25,000 to $42,000 per year). On the contrary they are the rich, at least statistically by IRS standards," the Tax Foundation reports. These taxpayers pay most of the income, and, thus, received most of the tax cuts.
Few in the Washington news business understand the dramatic income changes in today's changing economy. We keep seeing stories on the nightly news about "the disappearing middle class" as if these taxpayers fell into an abyss of poverty.
However, the Tax Foundation's analysis shows these people are not disappearing, but most have risen to a higher income level.
"By most accounts, the middle 20% of income earners today no longer squares with traditional notions of a middle-class America," according to the tax study.
"Today, only 18% of married couples fall in the statistical middle of the income distribution, while more than two-thirds are found in the top two income groups. The largest share of married couples - 35 percent - earn enough to be in the top 20 percent of taxpayers, which begins at about $68,000."
Contrary to Democratic rhetoric, almost 90 percent of richest taxpayers are married and most are working couples, IRS data shows. Their numbers have shot up more than 7 million in the last 15 years and now are 67 percent of working age couples.
Individually, their incomes are typically middle-class. But when couples incomes are combined, they are pushed into a much higher tax bracket and they become the so-called "rich".
The Tax Foundation dramatically illustrates this: "A young factory worker earning $17 and hour - or $35,000 a year - clearly falls in the statistical middle. But if she married a man earning the same income, their combined income of $70,000 thrusts them up into the wealthiest 20 percent of Americans."
All this has huge political implications for the anti-tax-cut Democrats, who may be losing their core middle-class base as dual-earner couples (who pay 69 percent of all income taxes) are increasingly drawn to the GOP message of broadening the tax base and lowering rates.
So the next time you see a news report about the "disappearing middle class", remember: The middle class hasn't lost ground, it has moved up to a higher income level, and, unfortunately, a higher tax bracket.

travis2
03-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Fuckin' reactionary GOP bullshit liars oughta be killed.

[ /dan]

JoeChalupa
03-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Funny...I still feel like middle class.

Nbadan
03-17-2005, 02:04 AM
This article is filled with right-wing misconceptions. Yes, if your a couple making a little over $70,000 per, your in the top 20% income bracket, but you don't pay very much in 'effective' taxes because most couples have child tax credits, mortgage deductions, 401Ks and Roth IRAs. Fact is, in America, the top 5% wage earners make 90% of the income, and all of those super-wealthy aren't families working 80 hours per week and still struggling to finance expensive mortgages and buy diapers, but fat-cat capitalists who can pay shills like the author of this article to continue this 'unfair' charade against you and me.

travis2
03-17-2005, 09:55 AM
See, desflood? What did I tell you?

desflood
03-17-2005, 11:18 AM
You know I posted this just for Dan ;)

desflood
03-17-2005, 11:21 AM
And the fact still remains, Dan, that those who earn 90% of the income pay 90% of the taxes.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I'll post some figures later. I'm question the validity of the stuff in this article, but I haven't had a chance to verify yet.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Well my middle class ass paid taxes last year.

Nbadan
03-17-2005, 02:12 PM
And the fact still remains, Dan, that those who earn 90% of the income pay 90% of the taxes.

Would would you rather see pay them? The 90% of us who earn the 10% left?

Nbadan
03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Well my middle class ass paid taxes last year.

Have more kids Joe.

Nbadan
03-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Fat-cat Republicans like to complain that taxes in the U.S. are too high. Most cite the 35% figure, as if that were the 'effective tax rate' they were actually paying. Truth is, after deductions, write-offs, and cheating, even the riches of the rich have an actual average tax rate of 24-25%, while paying little if any corporate taxes on earnings. Most industrialized Euro countries have average annual tax rates between 30-50% on the super-rich.

Clandestino
03-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Fat-cat Republicans like to complain that taxes in the U.S. are too high. Most cite the 35% figure, as if that were the 'effective tax rate' they were actually paying. Truth is, after deductions, write-offs, and cheating, even the riches of the rich have an actual average tax rate of 24-25%, while paying little if any corporate taxes on earnings. Most industrialized Euro countries have average annual tax rates between 30-50% on the super-rich.

i paid between 40-45% when i was in germany.. it sucked balls.. especially when you knew the money was going to unwed mothers, bums who wouldn't work, etc...
i knew a girl that was getting 2,000 euros a month from the government.. 3 kids... and a subsidized nice apt... she was 25 at the time.. crazy shit!

NameDropper
03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
i paid between 40-45% when i was in germany.. it sucked balls.. especially when you knew the money was going to unwed mothers, bums who wouldn't work, etc...
i knew a girl that was getting 2,000 euros a month from the government.. 3 kids... and a subsidized nice apt... she was 25 at the time.. crazy shit!

Rumor has it somewhere there is a father or fathers who isn't taking care of his kids.

desflood
03-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Abolish the income tax! I believe there wasn't an official income tax until WWI. What happened before then? Everything took care of itself somehow, right?

Clandestino
03-17-2005, 04:15 PM
there wasn't as many social programs either...

desflood
03-17-2005, 04:22 PM
It's time people learned to take care of themselves.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 04:26 PM
It's time people learned to take care of themselves.

I suggest a rethinking of that philosophy if you plan on using any road on the way home, or should you ever need to use emergency service.

Garbage pickup would also be handed by you. Oh and running water? Forget about it!

Taxes go a long long way, and I'm pretty sure that most people in here get way more out of the system than they put in.

Spurminator
03-17-2005, 04:30 PM
My garbage service sucks. If there's one thing I can think of that I'd LOVE to see privatized (this week, anyway), it's trash pickup. How fucking hard is it to not trash up my alley?

desflood
03-17-2005, 04:36 PM
I suggest a rethinking of that philosophy if you plan on using any road on the way home, or should you ever need to use emergency service.

Garbage pickup would also be handed by you. Oh and running water? Forget about it!

Taxes go a long long way, and I'm pretty sure that most people in here get way more out of the system than they put in.
Everybody used to do without these things. They're convienent, but not necessary.

Clandestino
03-17-2005, 04:41 PM
with all the diseases from the trash life expectancy was like 45 yrs old for a man...

JoeChalupa
03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
My garbage service sucks. If there's one thing I can think of that I'd LOVE to see privatized (this week, anyway), it's trash pickup. How fucking hard is it to not trash up my alley?

Yes, but where would people start dumping their trash?

Out the window on the way to work? I enjoy the curb side service myself.

Why are there no female sanitation workers wearing nice shorts and boots?

desflood
03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
With a simpler life, there isn't nearly as much trash. I think when I switched to cloth diapers, we only put out about half as many trash bags!

Clandestino
03-17-2005, 05:40 PM
diapers are only a small problem...

GoldToe
03-17-2005, 06:10 PM
diapers are only a small problem...

It's what's in them that stinks.

desflood
03-17-2005, 06:32 PM
It's just a small example.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Going back to a simpler life has nothing to do with an income tax. Hey, quit work and go back to a simple life and you get both done. :)

desflood
03-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Had you read the discussion at all, you'd see how it evolved...

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 08:20 PM
I read the discussion. Those of us in the lower income tax bracket refer to the above as a joke.

desflood
03-17-2005, 08:39 PM
:rolleyes You think you're the only one in here in the lower income range? The rest of us can't possibly understand?

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 08:53 PM
J - O - K - E - S

desflood
03-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Sorry, not much of a sense of humor today.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 09:10 PM
I can see that! :p

Guru of Nothing
03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Are we talking about the "shrinking" middle class, or the "stinking" middle class?

Shelly
03-17-2005, 10:38 PM
Speaking of trash--are any of you on the city provides the trash can with the automated truck plan? My neighborhood was a test one starting last July and it was supposed to last for 6 months. They haven't told us if it's permenant yet or not.

Guru of Nothing
03-17-2005, 10:53 PM
are any of you on the city provides the trash can with the automated truck plan?

Must be margarita night.

Shelly
03-17-2005, 10:56 PM
:lol

no....S.A. doesn't provide trash cans. My neighborhood is on a pilot program. The driver of the truck does not get out and empty the trash. The truck has an automated arm that grabs the can and empties it.

Better?

:p

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 11:21 PM
They do it like that in a lot of places, and I think it makes more sense because they can do the pickup faster, so they save a lot of money even thought they ahve to provide the trash cans. Not only that, but the trash cans are usually HUGE.

Guru of Nothing
03-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Does San Antonio still do the green tub of recyclables? It used to embarrass the shit out me when I heard a week's worth of Shiner bottles get dumped into a metal bin at 7:15 a.m. You could hear it 8 houses down the block. I eventually learned to stagger Express-News and Shiner bottles.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't know what the city does, I live outside city limits and I have a brown recycle bin that gets picked up every Friday.

I took that thing to an enviromental awareness fundraiser once so that we coudl recycle all the beer bottles that activist college students love. The noise that thing made when I carried it out was unreal. Also, it was full way to fast, I brought back the extra bottles in a 3 huge garbage bags and for weeks I was pouring them into the bin on Fridays.

travis2
03-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Does San Antonio still do the green tub of recyclables? It used to embarrass the shit out me when I heard a week's worth of Shiner bottles get dumped into a metal bin at 7:15 a.m. You could hear it 8 houses down the block. I eventually learned to stagger Express-News and Shiner bottles.

Yes.

Shelly
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
The cans are 96 gallons. But what sucks is that if you extra trash (like 8000 bags of leaves) they won't pick it up because it's not in the bin.

The recycling bins are a joke. Way too small. Plus, curbside doesn't pick up magazines or cardboard boxes. One time I put some recycling in a laundry basket and the trash people picked it up thinking it was trash.

My parents have three 96 gallons cans. One for grass, one for recycling, and the other for shrubbery.

travis2
03-18-2005, 09:55 AM
My parents have three 96 gallons cans. One for grass, one for recycling, and the other for shrubbery.

Shrubbery? Aren't these folks looking for some shrubbery?
http://orangecow.org/pythonet/linus/photos/grail/grail073.jpg

Clandestino
03-18-2005, 11:39 AM
the only way a majority of americans will recycle is when the return of the deposit for bottles comes back.. in europe, for a case of beer, the deposit was like 3-4 bucks... and most of the beer was sold in bottles... also, you would get fined if you didn't separate your trash... paper, glass, plastic and then the rest... you really made a lot less trips to the trash can, but you sure did have a million trashcans around your house..

desflood
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
They have deposit return in Michigan. Practically everybody I knew recycled there, right down to all the schools...

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 11:51 AM
the only way a majority of americans will recycle is when the return of the deposit for bottles comes back.. in europe, for a case of beer, the deposit was like 3-4 bucks... and most of the beer was sold in bottles... also, you would get fined if you didn't separate your trash... paper, glass, plastic and then the rest... you really made a lot less trips to the trash can, but you sure did have a million trashcans around your house..

Explain why people have full recycle bins up and down my street every Friday then.

There is definetly a will.

Clandestino
03-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Explain why people have full recycle bins up and down my street every Friday then.

There is definetly a will.

maybe in your neighborhood... not in mine... i don't even use mine... in europe i did. but here, there is no incentive to. nor is there a penalty for not recycling..

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Why don't you use it?

Clandestino
03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
like i said, there is no incentive nor a decentive... plus not recycling is way easier. i can just throw everything into one big trash can.

however, if i were fined for not recycling, then i would would recycle... if there were an cash incentive(deposits, etc), then i would recycle too.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 12:33 PM
In other words, putting bottles into a certain bin is too hard. You could have just said you were lazy.

Clandestino
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
In other words, putting bottles into a certain bin is too hard. You could have just said you were lazy.

LOL! but i guess that is what it boils down to. laziness. but there is no penalty nor a incentive not to be lazy in this case. all that has to be done is make it illegal not to separate trash and the whole u.s. would recycle. in germany, they had people who would spot check trash to see if people recycled. they would find bills or something with your name on it and you'd get fined. ahah..

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Thats illogical thinking. The benefit would be indirect savings in tax dollars when the city collects money from the recycling program that goes to schools and the like.

It also saves spaces in landfills, which saves more money.

Clandestino
03-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Thats illogical thinking. The benefit would be indirect savings in tax dollars when the city collects money from the recycling program that goes to schools and the like.

It also saves spaces in landfills, which saves more money.

but there has to be an incentive or a decentive. you won't get the majority of people sold on an idea with your logic...it is correct, but most people stop thinking about their the second it hits the curb...

JoeChalupa
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
I recycle all the time and teach my kids to do so as well.

My incentive is the future.