PDA

View Full Version : wolves are suddenly healthy & dangerous

milkyway21
03-16-2005, 12:45 AM
Cassell, Kandi, Griffin are back to the line up and the KG's Wolves have just beaten the Mavs.

Wolves' playoff hopes are still alive.

on the other hand, Manu, TP are both with injuries:cry.

beat them Spurs!

is TP eligible to play tonight? updates pls.

Kori Ellis
03-16-2005, 12:53 AM
is TP eligible to play tonight?

I think TP is probable and Manu is out.

Dex
03-16-2005, 12:55 AM
According to Pop Show audio from yesterday, Tony's about 50/50 for tonight. The contusion on his leg still isn't serious, but has just been too sore for him to play on. Remember that Tony was originally banged up (with the same thigh) all the way back when Manu and Tim sat out against Phoenix. He was originally supposed to get that night off; Instead, he had to carry the Spurs offensive load over the proceeding two games. So, if you ask me, Tony deserves whatever rest he's getting.

Manu is also still a no-go, for sure.

Let's hope for another big game from Barry and Beno.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-16-2005, 12:55 AM
You know, I had that KE quote about KG here somewhere...

milkyway21
03-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I think TP is probable and Manu is out.TP-probable ,sad :cry.

hope Beno will have another BIG game.
and Barry, too!

exstatic
03-16-2005, 01:31 AM
REAL bad news for the Lakers. LA's schedule is none to friendly from this point, and they seem to be going into the dumper, dropping big losses to Washington (respectable) and Philly (bubble team in the East and struggling) the last two games.

Kori Ellis
03-16-2005, 01:42 AM
Missing identity, playoffs: Timberwolves struggle after reaching conference finals
Web Posted: 03/16/2005 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031605.1C.BKNspurs.wolves.adv.14066fc3d.html

The last time the Spurs played the Minnesota Timberwolves, two days before Christmas, the Wolves were six games over .500 and still seemed a threat to the Spurs' top status in the Western Conference.

The Spurs scored a 96-82 victory that dropped Minnesota to 15-10, but there seemed no good reason for the Wolves to panic, not with 57 games left in the season. The question in Minnesota related to how long it would take to regain the swagger that helped the Wolves reach the conference finals last spring.

Now, as the Spurs prepare to take on the Timberwolves at SBC Center tonight, only one question applies to Kevin Garnett and Co.:

What happened to your season?

Minnesota is one game above .500 after beating Dallas on Tuesday. Its 33-32 record is not among the eight best in the Western Conference. That means a team that last season was one series removed from the NBA Finals is on the brink of missing the playoffs altogether.

Things got so bad that Wolves general manager Kevin McHale on Feb. 12 fired his former college roommate and longtime friend, Flip Saunders, and took over as interim coach.

What McHale has discovered, though, is that the Wolves needed more than a "new voice." They were one game under .500 after a loss at Utah that precipitated Saunders' dismissal. Under McHale, they are 8-6 after their victory against the Mavericks — hardly the kind of turnaround the Denver Nuggets got when George Karl took over for Michael Cooper on Jan.25, when Denver won 14 of its next 19.

What did happen to Minnesota this season?

The Wolves have had their share of injuries, but no more than the Mavericks, who are 41-22 after Tuesday's loss. Minnesota's slide is one of the biggest mysteries of the season.

McHale acknowledges what he calls a "myriad of reasons" for his team's malaise but said poor health isn't one.

"I do not (blame injuries)," McHale said. "There are a lot of factors, most of which I'm not going to tell you."

Much blame can't be placed on Kevin Garnett. The reigning NBA Most Valuable Player has, through Monday, put up his usual numbers: 22.4 points per game, plus a league-best 13.8 rebounds and 5.7 assists a game.

Still, should the Wolves miss the playoffs, Garnett would be the second player to win an MVP award and then fail to make the playoffs the next season with the same team.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was MVP with the 1973-74 champion Milwaukee Bucks, who didn't make the playoffs in 1974-75. The retirement of Oscar Robertson was a factor in that dropoff.

The Wolves' most identifiable difference is the play of point guard Sam Cassell. He made the All-Star team last season but has missed 18 games with injuries, and his 3-point shooting has been horrendous (23.1percent). Through Monday, he was averaging 13.7 points and 5.6 assists and shooting 46.2percent after averaging 19.8 points and 7.3 assists and shooting 48.8percent last season.

McHale, the former Boston Celtics star forward, talks a lot about effort and good team chemistry, and he makes it clear his team has not had enough of either.

"There's always a myriad of different reasons when you do play well," McHale said. "Chemistry, and a team coming together, is a complex thing. For whatever reason this year, we just have not been able to get that yet. Hopefully, down the stretch we'll find some of that.

"The thing that's the most disappointing is that our effort level wasn't where it had to be, and that's just unacceptable. I've got guys on my (coaching) staff who had been head coaches in the league (Sidney Lowe and Randy Wittman), so I knew my job was just to get the effort out of the guys. If you do that, then you've got a chance, but not giving effort is totally unacceptable."

McHale said he is satisfied with the Wolves' effort in his time as coach, but he also thinks his team has yet to find its identity. It is clear he wants that identity to begin with defense, but through Monday the Wolves allowed an average of 95.8 points and 44.1percent shooting. And he knows there may not be time enough left this season to get things turned around.

"We've got the Spurs and then Houston, a lot of good teams coming up," said McHale, who says he doesn't worry about Denver or the Lakers, the other teams battling for the conference's final playoff berth. "The schedule maker puts them up, and you just go play them."

milkyway21
03-16-2005, 01:55 AM
funny!
the Lakers & the Wolves played in WC finals last season now battling against Denver for the 8th WC spot. :elephant
good luck, guys! :lol

exstatic
03-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Much blame can't be placed on Kevin Garnett. The reigning NBA Most Valuable Player has, through Monday, put up his usual numbers: 22.4 points per game, plus a league-best 13.8 rebounds and 5.7 assists a game.
Note the lack of defensive stats.

It is clear he wants that identity to begin with defense, but through Monday the Wolves allowed an average of 95.8 points and 44.1percent shooting.
Note the lack of a mention of the almost total no-show by their best defender, KG. Garnett was a ferocious defender the last couple of seasons, but if he makes first team All NBA defense this year, it will be strictly one of those reputation things. He hasn't earned it, and his team has suffered.

milkyway21
03-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Note the lack of defensive stats.

Note the lack of a mention of the almost total no-show by their best defender, KG. Garnett was a ferocious defender the last couple of seasons, but if he makes first team All NBA defense this year, it will be strictly one of those reputation things. He hasn't earned it, and his team has suffered...that votes on KG as one of the top defensive player this yr was a fluke! he's just not as good defender this yr..

the DPOY shld just be bet. the two best defensive teams this yr-Spurs' Duncan or Detroit's Big Ben.

CHAMPS AGAIN
03-16-2005, 08:35 AM
funny!
the Lakers & the Wolves played in WC finals last season now battling against Denver for the 8th WC spot. :elephant
good luck, guys! :lol

healthy yes, dangerous no now thats funny :elephant :elephant :elephant

ducks
03-16-2005, 08:37 AM
if you go to the nba forum you will see the lakers schedule sucks the rest of the way

lakers would be better off getting a lottery pick

Medvedenko
03-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Lottery bound....looks pretty likely for my boys....I feel pretty shitty because of it...high hopes...the season is still going, but I don't see a playoff berth. Sadness comes over me like a wave of discontent and melancholy.

sickdsm
03-16-2005, 11:42 AM
I still think its denvers to lose. You neglect to show that the defensive stats the wolves under McHale are somewhere between 5-7 less ppg defensively. Not to mention thats' basically been without any healthy centers.

Earv is out, maybe for the year. Cassell i don't think will last very long before his hammy takes him out again.

KG's knee has been affecting him more in the rebounding and defensive stats than anything. You can pretend that one year out of 8 or 9 is the defining year of his career but your a fool for not thinking that this year is the fluke.

boutons
03-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Totally bogus topic line. Wolves may all suit up tonight, but they are not "healthy" in chemistry and syngergy anymore now than earlier.

and, DANGEROUS? GMAFB

Brodels
03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
They've got big problems, but I wouldn't want to face them in the first round.

If they can stay healthy and play a few weeks together before the playoffs, they could be dangerous. They won't win a championship or anything, but they could make somebody's life very difficult in the first round.

They've got the pieces. They probably won't be able to put them together, but I wouldn't discount their ability to create some havoc in the right situation.

T Park
03-16-2005, 03:30 PM
basically been without any healthy centers

Olowakandi hurt???

I WONT HEAR OF IT!!!!!

Think Mchale is saying "I wish we still had Rasho"

Rasho may not be the best, but he stays healthy, and he fills the lane and gives you defense.

OOps, something the Timberwolves are missin.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

FilSpursFan
03-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I think TP is probable and Manu is out.

I hope Jack Neice is not officiating this game...

:rolleyes

Rydia
03-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Olowakandi hurt???

I WONT HEAR OF IT!!!!!

Think Mchale is saying "I wish we still had Rasho"

Rasho may not be the best, but he stays healthy, and he fills the lane and gives you defense.

OOps, something the Timberwolves are missin.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah!!! My first post....I feel sooo proud....

Go Rasho!!! I hate it when people dis him!! You are totally right!
T-wolves are going down...then that weird Rick Kamla fantasy guy on NBA TV won't have anything to howl about....
I was in hopes that Manu would play tonight....it seems he rubs KG the wrong way and it's hilarious :lol

Lakers....blah!

Go Spurs Go!

sickdsm
03-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Rasho never bothered to play defense under Flip

Hook Dem
03-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Flip didn't give a flip about defense! :lol

milkyway21
03-16-2005, 08:02 PM
if there's a team i wouldn't want to face in the 1st round, it's the Wolves. i think they could still make it @ #8 this yr.

KG has knee problems?

T Park
03-16-2005, 08:05 PM

guess the coach should've worried about defense.

Also, maybe KG the great leader, should've mentioned to Flip, hey, we need to focus on D.

Nah, just "zone" up.

sickdsm
03-16-2005, 08:34 PM
guess the coach should've worried about defense.

Ya think?

Also, maybe KG the great leader, should've mentioned to Flip, hey, we need to focus on D.

As if Kev didn't devote enough attention now he's getting ripped for guys like Wally not defending?

Nah, just "zone" up.

Again, ya think? were those two comments meant as an insult or are you just finally getting around to agreeing with me years later?

:wtf

exstatic
03-16-2005, 08:47 PM

Funny that sickdsm is all over Pop for "coaching issues" regarding Rasho's shooting this year, but doesn't recognize one staring him in the face. :lol :rollin

sickdsm
03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
LOL, i've been all over Pops jock since before i registerd here. You need to get a clue. He's turned a great shooting center into an awful one. That's a fact.

Rummpd
03-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Oh these Wolves look tough. Looks to me like they mailed in this game from the onset.

Defanged again.

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Well, at least they were healthy.

tsb2000
03-17-2005, 12:35 AM
New headline: "Wolves are suddenly Own3d!"